[#1]
Think I'm done tinkering on this.

4 day turnaround on the Form1.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
I'm not sure if this got covered yet but the Lingle Industries gen2 CZ mag lower has an updated bolt catch design.

https://lingleindustries.com/gen-2-aluminum-stribog-lower/
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40084/Screenshot_2024-03-23_064601_png-3166866.JPG

I already have the A3 Tactical Scorpion mag lower but curious if anyone has tried this one out? Like @daemon734 pointed out I've always found the factory bolt catch to be a sub par design.
View Quote

Yes, I have the Gen 2 Lingle with that bolt catch and I find it far superior to the OEM.
My only complaint is I’d love if the components were aluminum instead of polymer. But it does work fine, and again, better than OEM IMO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]
Let's take the Stribog out and zero check.

(Bipod cracks me up)
Will post targets later.  Fun day pinging steel at 200 after
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:28:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#4]
Some performance data, relates to some prior posts.

Here is zero at 25 yards.  With this ammo.

All was shoulder fired at 25 yards.  With the exception of the bottom one, which was held with 2 hands with no shoulder contact.  Of note, some of my prior statements about POI shift based on shoulder contact appear to be in error, and essentially irrelevant from this test.

Also, POI of all the ammo at 25 was about the same - ish.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#5]
Here are impacts at 50, 100, and 200 yards

Of note the week cheap fmj seems almost the same at 25 and 50, while the 100 yard shows the hotter ammo hits almost the same at 100 as at 25 (ish)

NOTE, group size MOA calculation is in error on this one (I accidentally left 25 yard in the calculator for that for this 50 yard group), so group size is half that noted in this photo.

Left target are the hot 115gr hollow point, right is the mild 115gr FMJ.

100yards

Top grouping is the 115gr weak FMJ, bottom is the hot 115 gr HP.  note how much of a difference to POI 150 FPS MV makes in 9mm at just 100 yards.

And 200 yards with the mild low-quality FMJ reloads.  Dropping fast once you get to 200 yards, but it's still decent enough that a 12" gong will get hit.  My gong hit ratio was closer to about 70% (this target implies it would be 40% - so I guess I shanked a shot in the group.).
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:50:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#6]
So update on SP9A3 accuracy... after I swapped my KDG buffer for the HBI buffer and swapped my 40 degree block with wiggle for the original US block with no shaft wiggle, I took my Stribog to the range for testing groups at 25y with a friend. His is serial number is 10XXX and mine is serial number 4XXX. He has a hollow roller pin and I have a solid one.

I shot against my buddies Stribog which has much tighter tolerances in the bolt channel (~ 0.003" vs ~0.015" clearance) and does not have an extractor that sits proud of the bolt face (~.001" or less vs ~.003" for mine) so he has a continuous wear mark on the back of his barrel, instead of no contact from the extractor to about 5:30 which I am showing. However, he ran his 40 degree block which also has some jiggle and slop in the shaft like mine does and he ran his KDG buffer. We both shot with bipods and rear bags from a bench with Sig red dots.

Results? His gun shot 1.0-2.6" spread 5 shot groups at 25 yards, averaging 1.9" for 5 shots. Mine shot consistently under 1" for 5 shot groups, averaging 0.896" at 25 yards. Ammo was UMC 147 FMJ and Federal 147 American Eagle flat nose. I actually never had a group over 1" at 25 yards.

This means my ILWT barrel, HBI buffer, and non loose US roller block vastly improved my groups. However, his Stribog had so much less recoil, we both agreed that for real world shooting, his would shoot smaller groups at very high speed vs. mine. I now wonder if there is a way to take the slop out of the 40 degree block shaft, as that seemed to have one of the largest impacts on accuracy out of everything so far. But even my bolt not sitting flush in battery from the proud extractor and receiver slop did not keep me from achieving a 3.42 MOA group average.

We even swapped guns and ammo at the end of the day and I shot his 2" for 5 and he shot mine about 1.5" for 5 with 4 of the shots going into just under 1" and then a small flyer. We both agreed the glass of my Romeo5 causes eyestrain and early onset eye fatigue compared to his Romeo MSR, but my dot was a little smaller.

Next test will be shooting the US no slop roller block in his rifle to see what improvements to accuracy we can achieve, but he could not find his original US block to try. Also, we both shot suppressed with 3 lug mounts so unsuppressed shooting will be part of future tests.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DevL:
So update on SP9A3 accuracy... after I swapped my KDG buffer for the HBI buffer and swapped my 40 degree block with wiggle for the original US block with no shaft wiggle, I took my Stribog to the range for testing groups at 25y with a friend. His is serial number is 10XXX and mine is serial number 4XXX. He has a hollow roller pin and I have a solid one.

I shot against my buddies Stribog which has much tighter tolerances in the bolt channel (~ 0.003" vs ~0.015" clearance) and does not have an extractor that sits proud of the bolt face (~.001" or less vs ~.003" for mine) so he has a continuous wear mark on the back of his barrel, instead of no contact from the extractor to about 5:30 which I am showing. However, he ran his 40 degree block which also has some jiggle and slop in the shaft like mine does and he ran his KDG buffer. We both shot with bipods and rear bags from a bench with Sig red dots.

Results? His gun shot 1.0-2.6" spread 5 shot groups at 25 yards, averaging 1.9" for 5 shots. Mine shot consistently under 1" for 5 shot groups, averaging 0.896" at 25 yards. Ammo was UMC 147 FMJ and Federal 147 American Eagle flat nose. I actually never had a group over 1" at 25 yards.

This means my ILWT barrel, HBI buffer, and non loose US roller block vastly improved my groups. However, his Stribog had so much less recoil, we both agreed that for real world shooting, his would shoot smaller groups at very high speed vs. mine. I now wonder if there is a way to take the slop out of the 40 degree block shaft, as that seemed to have one of the largest impacts on accuracy out of everything so far. But even my bolt not sitting flush in battery from the proud extractor and receiver slop did not keep me from achieving a 3.42 MOA group average.

We even swapped guns and ammo at the end of the day and I shot his 2" for 5 and he shot mine about 1.5" for 5 with 4 of the shots going into just under 1" and then a small flyer. We both agreed the glass of my Romeo5 causes eyestrain and early onset eye fatigue compared to his Romeo MSR, but my dot was a little smaller.

Next test will be shooting the US no slop roller block in his rifle to see what improvements to accuracy we can achieve, but he could not find his original US block to try. Also, we both shot suppressed with 3 lug mounts so unsuppressed shooting will be part of future tests.
View Quote

Based on these results, it would appear something got much better with your Stribog compared to the previous page.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#8]
Only difference was swapping back to the US roller block which is rigid vs. a previous attempt that got me 1.5" to 2.5" at 25y with 40 degree roller block.

Can anyone with a 40 degree block from Europe check to see if their shaft has any movement?

Just wondering if that is normal or not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#9]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Only difference was swapping back to the US roller block which is rigid vs. a previous attempt that got me 1.5" to 2.5" at 25y with 40 degree roller block.

Can anyone with a 40 degree block from Europe check to see if their shaft has any movement?
View Quote

?   your shaft wiggles around in the block?  Nnnno, mine does not do that.

I think we may have found your problem.  I can see that causing irregular things to happen varying shot-to-shot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

?   your shaft wiggles around in the block?  Nnnno, mine does not do that.

I think we may have found your problem.  I can see that causing irregular things to happen varying shot-to-shot.
View Quote

Yes, both mine and my friend's 40 degree charging blocks from ipscstore.com have a small amount of both rotational play and play in and out if you grab the shaft where the roller rod sits and try to pull it out and push it in. The in/out play is barely noticable, but the rotational play is a couple degrees in either direction on both of our40 degree blocks. In contrast, my original US block (which I assume is 45 degree) is as solid as if it were made from a single piece of metal.

My buddy remembered his Stribog being more accurate (like ~1" at 25 yards vs ~2" at 25 yards) prior to installing the 40 degree block. Since both of our 40 degree blocks have the same amount of shaft play I wondered if that was just normal for 40 degree blocks and wanted to poll the hive...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
No, not normal. I have both 40 and 45 "lockers", including an early one ordered from Estonia, and they are both the same with zero movement from shaft to block.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 0ntos:
No, not normal. I have both 40 and 45 "lockers", including an early one ordered from Estonia, and they are both the same with zero movement from shaft to block.
View Quote

Just pulled mine out to test.  I've never noticed anything, but based on this, I did grab and specifically try to yank and pull it.  There might  be some due to the tolerance of the  two pins to the shaft cutouts maybe, but we're talking like 1/1000 if that, if there is any at all.  Interesting, I wonder if this is a wear item that loosens with time.  I'll watch it.   Right now, it seems fine and my perforamcne is good, so I'm not worried, but I'll make it routine to test it every few thousand rounds or so.   I tried to see if I could drive out the two pins, and the answer was not easily with just a small allan wrench whacked down the hole mildly, but I stopped there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#13]
So I found 2 Stribogs at my local Sportsmen Warehouse. An A1 for $800 and the A3 for about $1K.

Is there any reason why I should not buy either of these, and swap the lower for a scorpion version?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
So I found 2 Stribogs at my local Sportsmen Warehouse. An A1 for $800 and the A3 for about $1K.

Is there any reason why I should not buy either of these, and swap the lower for a scorpion version?
View Quote

With armbrace?  If so, the A3 is the one to grab (MHO).  If you want a scorpion lower, get a Scorpion lower.  Though the venerated Scorpions absolutely do jam as well - I've shot ones that jammed due to magazine feed issues.  get an A3 with a >4000 SN and curved mags, and frankly there is little reason to screw around with Scorpion lowers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

With armbrace?  If so, the A3 is the one to grab (MHO).  If you want a scorpion lower, get a Scorpion lower.  Though the venerated Scorpions absolutely do jam as well - I've shot ones that jammed due to magazine feed issues.  get an A3 with a >4000 SN and curved mags, and frankly there is little reason to screw around with Scorpion lowers.
View Quote

Im actually wanting the scorpion lower because I have scorpion mags already (said Scorpion was decent, but not enough to keep.)
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#16]
Mine with Lingle lower doesn’t jam on anything using AKV mags. I’ve shot every weight of FMJ available through it. It has also been fine with Gold Dots and Critical Defense. The OEM mags absolutely will not run defense ammo nearly as reliably.
I did polish the shit out of the feed ramp when the barrel was out to get cut. Dunno if that made any difference.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a shorty A3 a few weeks ago.  I've put about 500 rounds through it, mostly with the 20 round stick mags (found them for $9 each).  It's been running amazingly.  I had one empty case get stuck in the ejection port in one of the first few mags but since has been perfect.
Running cheap aluminum 115 Blazer and 147 Remington subs.  This has been my favorite gun I've bought in years!
I designed and printed up a spare mag holder for the folding brace.  locks into the M-Lock slots and after 5 tries found a great geometry that retains well but is easy to pull out and insert.  Pretty natural location for a reload too!
It's PETG but has held up really well for a few range trips and 30 extractions or so.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Im actually wanting the scorpion lower because I have scorpion mags already (said Scorpion was decent, but not enough to keep.)
View Quote

I'm kind of the same mind. Anybody have experience with A3 Tactical's Stribog lower for Scorpion mags? I'll pickup my SPA3 next week when I get home and should have my A3 Tactical goodies as well...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:33:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#19]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

I'm kind of the same mind. Anybody have experience with A3 Tactical's Stribog lower for Scorpion mags? I'll pickup my SPA3 next week when I get home and should have my A3 Tactical goodies as well...

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

ROCK6

That's the lower I have(picture at the top of this page). It works very well. My only complaint about it over the other lower on the market is that the A3 retained the Stribog BHO design.

My A3 lower loves Magpul mags with no modifications needed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

That's the lower I have(picture at the top of this page). It works very well. My only complaint about it over the other lower on the market is that the A3 retained the Stribog BHO design.

My A3 lower loves Magpul mags with no modifications needed.
View Quote

Thanks! I have no reference to judge the BHO yet, but most of my Scorpion mags are from PSA. I do have a half dozen or so Magpuls, so I can experiment...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought I read somewhere that certain rear end caps cause issues with the bolt.

I can't find it now. Am I misremembering?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:12:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#22]
Stribog!

21 yr old French girl was with us too, who wanted some Glam-shots (and said cool to post)

This gun was the high favorite of everybody there - just a total blast.

(Best at full screen high rez with sound; and yes Rumble sucks - they all suck)
That's a 200 yard gong from the camera - kind of impressed. Go go 40's+ mom who rarely ever shoots.

And a gong banger at 200 yards with the red dot is always a crowd-pleaser.

A lot of people don't like the factory stock.  They would be wrong. It's not sexy, but it's very light wight and efficient - and snaps onto the reciever cut to lock closed.  I think its great.  It's also really cost-effective.   Obviously SBR'd
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is mine. Sorry for the mess of my reloading bench...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:20:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#24]
Originally Posted By CATM:
Here is mine. Sorry for the mess of my reloading bench...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2860/Stribog_jpg-3190057.JPG
View Quote

A beauty!

Alright...who has a video or instructions to install a Timney trigger into the Stribog (A3 Tactical) receiver? There's a small block and a separate space piece, just no instructions for those.

Never mind, I'm a dumbass...building begins

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:

Yes, I have the Gen 2 Lingle with that bolt catch and I find it far superior to the OEM.
My only complaint is I’d love if the components were aluminum instead of polymer. But it does work fine, and again, better than OEM IMO.
View Quote

I have a gen 2 aluminum. I wish it were lighter lol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Whelp, did it. Bought an A3. Now to start putting more money into it, first is a scorpion lower and hardguard extension.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I have a gen 2 aluminum. I wish it were lighter lol.
View Quote

I actually love the added weight. The light polymer just feels cheap (although it’s a perfectly suitable material for its purpose here).
Page / 74
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top