Site Notices
Henry Homesteader 9mm (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By txgp17:
Anybody know what model of Sig Sauer magazine it will accept?  If it's P226/228/229, I'm in. If it's P320, I'm out.
View Quote

It's neither, in practice. They promised P320 at launch, but haven't delivered so far.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By txgp17:  Anybody know what model of Sig Sauer magazine it will accept?  If it's P226/228/229, I'm in. If it's P320, I'm out.
View Quote

I see a SUB-2000 Multi-Cal in your future, sir:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_48/547715_Anyone-know-of-a-PCC-rifle-in-9-19mm-Parabellum-that-takes-Sig-Sauger-P226-228-229-magazines-.html
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Just came across this review, it looks like they also include the best pricing on another page.

https://www.gunmade.com/henry-homesteader-9mm-carbine-review/

Did anyone here end up buying it? Curious if anyone has had any issues or recommendations.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad bought one recently and I got to shoot it.

Ran 150 rounds through it on cheap clone KCI Glock Mags without any issues.

Accurate with a decent trigger. Weight wise it's not the lightest gun, but not bad.

Not really my thing as I'm more PCC like the CZ Scorpion, but I see the appeal of it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno if you guys care or have any suggestions, but my Homesteader is kinda getting beat up. Or looks beat up anyhow.

The wood is too soft is my problem. I have a 1985 BLR made by Miroku. It's covered by a hard laquer, which preserves the wood. I mean it can be scratched but nothing like Homesteader. Every time anything touches it in the sock (like a magazine), it gets scratched.

Also, the checkering on the handguard soaks up grime from my support hand like a sponge. It already has a dark spot where my hand touched it. I need to find a way to degrease it and cover up with some kind of varnish.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By zaitcev:
I dunno if you guys care or have any suggestions, but my Homesteader is kinda getting beat up. Or looks beat up anyhow.

The wood is too soft is my problem. I have a 1985 BLR made by Miroku. It's covered by a hard laquer, which preserves the wood. I mean it can be scratched but nothing like Homesteader. Every time anything touches it in the sock (like a magazine), it gets scratched.

Also, the checkering on the handguard soaks up grime from my support hand like a sponge. It already has a dark spot where my hand touched it. I need to find a way to degrease it and cover up with some kind of varnish.
View Quote

Thanks foe your input.
I've been pondering a 9mm in some form. The Ruger looks like a High Point stepchild to me. The Chiappa M1-9 apparently is - well, Chiappa.
I was hoping this one might be more suitable.
Now I'm less convinced.
May go back to getting a CZ Scorpion pistol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

Thanks foe your input.
I've been pondering a 9mm in some form. The Ruger looks like a High Point stepchild to me. The Chiappa M1-9 apparently is - well, Chiappa.
Now I'm less convinced.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

Thanks foe your input.
Now I'm less convinced.

As far as Rugers go, I have to say the Ruger Carbine in the magpul stock is pretty damn nice. Especially how it breaks down and the barrel assembly is retained within the stock.

Attachment Attached File

Not mine, don't have any pics.

I also hit the front sight with Birchwood Casey neon green.. Damn Im liking it... If it floated like an AR7 I would be crazy impressed.

The Tacticool Ruger PC Carbine looks ugly as hell though.
Attachment Attached File

I kinda of want to pick up the Henry though. The wood looks very classy. Just waiting for more reviews, etc. I don't quite trust it yet. Because with my luck I'll buy it and it gets discontinued or a gen 2 comes out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a PC Carbine, PC Charger, and the Homesteader. The shortie is my least favourite, so I basically treat it as a meme gun. I used to have a platypus extension on it before the ATF regulations (although they intended to ban braces, they actually banned all attachments that are not necessary for functioning). Now I have a LaRue C-note there.

Mechanically I'm not sure which one is better. I harbor doubts about Henry long term. My stock already wobbles a tiny bit. If these pins work their holes any more, it's not going to be curtains. Ruger is significantly more robust against abuse. But paradoxically, Ruget has a number of stupid fiddly little bits inside. The bolt stop pin that jumps and escapes, the crazy little C-clip that holds the recoil spring to its guide. The replaceable bolt face is just absurd. Homesteader is more delicate on the outside, but the inside is as robust as Uzi. I guess I'll just find someone to refinish my Homesteader's wood when it gets too worn.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zaitcev:  I have a PC Carbine, PC Charger, and the Homesteader. The shortie is my least favourite, so I basically treat it as a meme gun. I used to have a platypus extension on it before the ATF regulations (although they intended to ban braces, they actually banned all attachments that are not necessary for functioning). Now I have a LaRue C-note there.

Mechanically I'm not sure which one is better. I harbor doubts about Henry long term. My stock already wobbles a tiny bit. If these pins work their holes any more, it's not going to be curtains. Ruger is significantly more robust against abuse. But paradoxically, Ruget has a number of stupid fiddly little bits inside. The bolt stop pin that jumps and escapes, the crazy little C-clip that holds the recoil spring to its guide. The replaceable bolt face is just absurd. Homesteader is more delicate on the outside, but the inside is as robust as Uzi. I guess I'll just find someone to refinish my Homesteader's wood when it gets too worn.
View Quote

What is a platypus extension?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#10]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
What is a platypus extension?
View Quote

http://www.fraurem.com/rccpb.html

I took it to local IDPA matches for fun, it worked quite well. But it had downsides, too, in particular the blowback gas was too close to my face. If ATF allowed this to continue, the next step would be to add a flexible gas shield, made from something like TPU or maybe with an SLA printer. But oh well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
If they make a VP9 magwell, or a Beretta 92 magwell, I'm absolutely in.
View Quote

I'm just going to leave this here:

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:44:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Fraurem is quite the busy 3-D printing company.  Added that to the https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Return-of-the-comprehensive-magazine-compatibility-thread/4-202843/
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:11:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#13]
Fraurem is quite the busy 3-D printing company.
View Quote

Fraurem is trying to move away from the 3D printing image. I was there since day zero and I suspect we got carried away with the (small) success of AR9MQ, which is not only 3D printed, it's exclusively 3D printed and in fact it's printed in one go: latches, springs, everything. It's amazing. But it quickly became apparent that the 3D printing has some inherent limits.

The Homesteader adapter, HA9B, is not printed as commonly understood. It is based on additive technologies (MJF and SLS). You can tell immediately that it's not printed just by holding it. Firstly, there's no bottom side - it has the same texture all over. And moreover, some of it is not even printable: the holes are such that supports cannot be extracted.

Fraurem aren't abandoning the 3D printing. Just as casting does for Ruger, it constitutes our core expertise. However, if I want to become a modern John Browning, or at least a Russian George Kellgren, I cannot remain limited to 3D. The only problem is how expensive all this stuff is. Ruger adapter retails for $36 and Homesteader adapter is $112 or something like that. The 3D is absolutely the way to go if you can only make it work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:49:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#14]
Apparently MI came out with a skeletal stock for Homesteader. Looks modeled after their other Henry stocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0bNxFQyvls
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By zaitcev:  Apparently MI came out with a skeletal stock for Homesteader. Looks modeled after their other Henry stocks.

View Quote

Tech Tip: Installing the Midwest Industries Homesteader Stock

The ONLY reason to buy this overpriced wood stocked Ruger PCC is that it has a wood stock - hey, we've got a tactical stock for your wood PCC!

The Henry is a direct & likely better engineered replacement for the Marlin Camp 9, and wisely takes Glock mags.  The Ruger you can get taticooled from the factory for less money.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
No disrespect to you guys who are attracted to such things.

But it’s a 9mm RIFLE.

When I need to do RIFLE stuff, 9mm doesn’t deliver.

It’s fine as a novelty I suppose. If you have time and money for novelties.

9mm in a well-vetted, heavy, short-barreled, suppressed, shoulder-fired, SELECT-FIRE weapon certainly serves a niche role. If you are into that sort of application.

This thing serves only to briefly appease the enemies of our right to self-defense, or to scoop up cash from the “it’ll be swell for the women and children” crowd, or for the cover of Outdoor Life magazine. Maybe the idea of hunting rabbits with it or some such.

They will make a run of them. Most of the run will sort-of function as advertised. With some ammunition. And if you “got a good one.” People won’t buy them after the initial release.
View Quote

For me, it would fit the niche that my cheap ass hi-point fills: checking out what's killing the chickens in the henhouse, what's worrying the dog in the barn, stuff that doesn't require 5.56, but needs to be fixed quicker than what a .22lr will do.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The Ruger you can get taticooled from the factory for less money.
View Quote

Are you sure though? I saw Homesteader offered for $704. That is significantly less than my LGS asks for a tacticooled Ruger. Could be enough difference actually to cover a large part of the cost of the MI kit. Although, I don't expect a complete parity, it's not as bad.

It's a decent alternative to Ruger for ban states.

Henry's advantages are very minor, I have to admit
1. Magwell allows a wider variety of magazines - sadly the bolt and action kneecap this, but stay tuned
2. It's slightly lighter - even with wood it's 2os lighter than Ruger is with plastic furniture
3. Safety is ambidextrous - although you can buy a rotating safety for Ruger aftermarket
4. Much fewer fiddly bits inside - I already had to call Ruger to obtain a lost spring. This is exacerbated by the lack of spares from Ruger. They simply refuse to sell spares. Worse than B&T and HK.

Ruger's advantages are manifest, starting with the takedown feature. I'm just saying, if you care about any of the above, you might want to consider Homesteader.

I wish someone came up with a wood handguard for Homesteader, which integrated a metal nosecap with M-LOK slots. S&W 1854 shows how that is done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Are you sure though? I saw Homesteader offered for $704. That is significantly less than my LGS asks for a tacticooled Ruger. Could be enough difference actually to cover a large part of the cost of the MI kit. Although, I don't expect a complete parity, it's not as bad.

1. Magwell allows a wider variety of magazines - sadly the bolt and action kneecap this, but stay tuned
2. It's slightly lighter - even with wood it's 2os lighter than Ruger is with plastic furniture
3. Safety is ambidextrous - although you can buy a rotating safety for Ruger aftermarket
4. Much fewer fiddly bits inside - I already had to call Ruger to obtain a lost spring. This is exacerbated by the lack of spares from Ruger. They simply refuse to sell spares. Worse than B&T and HK.

Ruger's advantages are manifest, starting with the takedown feature. I'm just saying, if you care about any of the above, you might want to consider Homesteader.

I wish someone came up with a wood handguard for Homesteader, which integrated a metal nosecap with M-LOK slots. S&W 1854 shows how that is done.
View All Quotes
The Ruger you can get taticooled from the factory for less money.

I grant you would know on the magwell, but is Henry shipping anything other than the Glock and Henry magwells?  Someone needs to bring out a wood stock for the Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#19]
Someone needs to bring out a wood stock for the Ruger.
View Quote

Two companies make Ruger PC Carbine stocks in wood: Oly Oak and Wednesday.

Wednestay is an industrial concern, making the stocks on a machine. They usually have an inventory, and they are far more adept at SEO and social media. I used to hate them, because they support Glock magwells only, and I thought that they disposed with the replaceable magwell. But reading their installation guide, apparently what they actually do is not leave enough space for Ruger magwells to fit. It's possible you can still jam a Fraurem magwell in there.

Oly Oay is a guy in his workshop. He developed an interesting technology that combines wood stock with resin molding, which allows thin sections and thus a normal replaceable magwell in a general outline of the Ruger original. But of course you have to wait for him to actually made your stock. And, the resin part is visible from the outside, so the gun gets a kind of a PPSh-41 look (which has a large metal chunk holding the drum in).

https://olyoak.com/
https://woodshopwednesday.com/
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Wednestay is an industrial concern, making the stocks on a machine. They usually have an inventory, and they are far more adept at SEO and social media. I used to hate them, because they support Glock magwells only, and I thought that they disposed with the replaceable magwell. But reading their installation guide, apparently what they actually do is not leave enough space for Ruger magwells to fit. It's possible you can still jam a Fraurem magwell in there.

Oly Oay is a guy in his workshop. He developed an interesting technology that combines wood stock with resin molding, which allows thin sections and thus a normal replaceable magwell in a general outline of the Ruger original. But of course you have to wait for him to actually made your stock. And, the resin part is visible from the outside, so the gun gets a kind of a PPSh-41 look (which has a large metal chunk holding the drum in).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Someone needs to bring out a wood stock for the Ruger.

Wednesday's full wood stock for $300 ain't bad.  Wish Ruger would put their rear iron sight on a short pic rail so we could put the red dot on the bbl & use the receiver for a magnifier.

Get a Wednesday dark walnut stock w/ no stain & no finish, rub it down w/ WalMart's finest Chinese BLO, would look really nice.

Hot links:  https://woodshopwednesday.com/

Pity the Ruger was such a slow seller for me - it's out of the impulse buy range the SUB-2000 just slots into.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#21]

The ONLY reason to buy this overpriced wood stocked Ruger PCC is that it has a wood stock - hey, we've got a tactical stock for your wood PCC!

The Henry is a direct & likely better engineered replacement for the Marlin Camp 9, and wisely takes Glock mags.  The Ruger you can get taticooled from the factory for less money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zaitcev:  Apparently MI came out with a skeletal stock for Homesteader. Looks modeled after their other Henry stocks.

Interesting, but also kinda...

Attachment Attached File

I wouldn't mind seeing some more wood stock options.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:45:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#22]
I received a notification by a reputable retailer that H027-H9S ships now. MSRP is now $959 and store price was $869. I say "was" because it was already out of stock in the morning.

But there's a guy at P-F saying that he snatched one and it's delivered.

Can't wait to see what they've done to the magwell. There's no indication that they shipped the gun with separate modules for P320 and M&P, which would be a sensible thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By zaitcev:  I received a notification by a reputable retailer that H027-H9S ships now. MSRP is now $959 and store price was $869. I say "was" because it was already out of stock in the morning.

But there's a guy at P-F saying that he snatched one and it's delivered.

Can't wait to see what they've done to the magwell. There's no indication that they shipped the gun with separate modules for P320 and M&P, which would be a sensible thing to do.
View Quote

I thought the 320 & M&P mags were nigh interchangeable?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

It depends on your definition of the interchangeable. You cannot jam an M&P magazine into a P320 period. But you can construct a magwell which kinda sorta takes either of them.

The notch of the P320 is higher, but the top edge is about in the same place. So, if your latch is narrow, and the magwell is wide enough, you can lock either of them in, and probably feed too. Of course, the reliability of doing that very much depends on the feed ramp and generally the feed way is constructed.

The incompatibility takes a shape of:

1. Marginal feed reliability. For example, a thinner magazine (P320) may tilt in the wider well, causing so-called "magazine bias", where the tip of the bullet mises the chamber horizontally (to the left). Lips on M&P are longer, so the feed path must account for the difference.

2. Unreliable LRBHO. The activation ledge on M&P is significantly higher. If you use the upper reaches of P320 follower motion, some magazines will not activate LRBHO. I have a couple of those. The activation must happen very close to the low range on them (they are a big pain in the ass on Ruger because of that).

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]

It depends on your definition of the interchangeable. You cannot jam an M&P magazine into a P320 period. But you can construct a magwell which kinda sorta takes either of them.

The notch of the P320 is higher, but the top edge is about in the same place. So, if your latch is narrow, and the magwell is wide enough, you can lock either of them in, and probably feed too. Of course, the reliability of doing that very much depends on the feed ramp and generally the feed way is constructed.

1. Marginal feed reliability. For example, a thinner magazine (P320) may tilt in the wider well, causing so-called "magazine bias", where the tip of the bullet mises the chamber horizontally (to the left). Lips on M&P are longer, so the feed path must account for the difference.

2. Unreliable LRBHO. The activation ledge on M&P is significantly higher. If you use the upper reaches of P320 follower motion, some magazines will not activate LRBHO. I have a couple of those. The activation must happen very close to the low range on them (they are a big pain in the ass on Ruger because of that).
View All Quotes

Ah.  Someone will win with replacement mag catches on the S&W FPC a la the SUB-2000 MultiMag - if it can be done.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#26]

I'm just going to leave this here:

http://www.zaitcev.us/things/ar15com/20240201_ha9b_p16_f6.jpg
View Quote
Oh man.

View Quote
And oh hot damn.

I liked my PC Carbine, but sold it because reasons.  I like the look of the homesteader, and REALLY like that 92 compatibility.  Hmm, choices.

If Fraurem made a PC Carbine 92 or VP9 magwell, I would absolutely have to buy another PC carbine, that magwell, and a stock from Wednesday.

ETA holy shit they do make a 92 magwell.  My budget is so mightily screwed.  Choices await me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Oh man.

And oh hot damn.

I liked my PC Carbine, but sold it because reasons.  I like the look of the homesteader, and REALLY like that 92 compatibility.  Hmm, choices.

If Fraurem made a PC Carbine 92 or VP9 magwell, I would absolutely have to buy another PC carbine, that magwell, and a stock from Wednesday.

ETA holy shit they do make a 92 magwell.  My budget is so mightily screwed.  Choices await me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zaitcev: I'm just going to leave this here:

http://www.zaitcev.us/things/ar15com/20240201_ha9b_p16_f6.jpg

Oh man.

And oh hot damn.

Post a build thread.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Homesteader is more expensive than PC, but it's not twice as expensive as some on the Internet claimed. More like $200 more. Adding a wood stock to PC makes it a wash.

Unfortunately, Ruger gets ahead if you want to add an optic, because Homesteader requires an addition of a rail. It's not a bad expense, but it's there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Homesteader is more expensive than PC, but it's not twice as expensive as some on the Internet claimed. More like $200 more. Adding a wood stock to PC makes it a wash.

Unfortunately, Ruger gets ahead if you want to add an optic, because Homesteader requires an addition of a rail. It's not a bad expense, but it's there.
View Quote
Is it a rail unique to the homesteader, or common to other Henry rifles?  Or are there multiple options?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Ehh, the Homesteader gets my vote regardless of price. If Henry or someone else were to put out a Homestead magwell that allowed for scorpion mags though, Id buy the thing tonight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Is it a rail unique to the homesteader, or common to other Henry rifles?  Or are there multiple options?
View Quote

Henry uses the exact same mounting holes that Marlin uses on the 336. That pattern is officially known as "Weaver 63B", but in reality you search of Marlin 336 rail. Or for a Henry rail for that matter. Homesteader uses the same pattern as Henry's centerfire lever actions.

That said, most of rails on the market are unnecessarily long and tall for Homesteader. So, when Skinner market a rail for Homesteader, which is an exact copy of their Marlin rail, they also include a taller front sight in the deal. This seems less than ideal to me. So I'm leaning towards the Ranger Point Precision made bespoke rail, which has a gutter in the middle and allows to use stock front sight of Homesteader. But I haven't bought it, so this is theoretical.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#32]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
If Henry or someone else were to put out a Homestead magwell that allowed for scorpion mags though, Id buy the thing tonight.
View Quote

Scorpion mags are impossible in Homesteader without a new bolt (or a modification to extend the stripper rail of the existing bolt). The reason is a conflict between the sides of Scoropion mags and the sides of the bolt that protrude downward. The sides are there to interlock with action bars.

I bought several Scorpion and MP5 magazines, but it didn't work out.

The only SMG magazine that has any hope is STEN. I made a test-fired a STEN magwell for Homesteader, but it needs work. STEN magazines are somewhat temperamental in comparison with modern SMG magazines.

I posted photos at P-F (I don't have the privilege at Arfcom):
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?55805-Henry-homesteader-9mm-semi-auto&p=1570309&viewfull=1#post1570309
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Scorpion mags are impossible in Homesteader without a new bolt (or a modification to extend the stripper rail of the existing bolt). The reason is a conflict between the sides of Scoropion mags and the sides of the bolt that protrude downward. The sides are there to interlock with action bars.

The only SMG magazine that has any hope is STEN. I made a test-fired a STEN magwell for Homesteader, but it needs work. STEN magazines are somewhat temperamental in comparison with modern SMG magazines.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?55805-Henry-homesteader-9mm-semi-auto&p=1570309&viewfull=1#post1570309
View All Quotes
If Henry or someone else were to put out a Homestead magwell that allowed for scorpion mags though, Id buy the thing tonight.

STEN mags were so unreliable that British soldiers had hand-selected magazines for their STEN, as other magazines just wouldn't run.  The Indian Army got more use out of em by adding thick wire internally running the length of each side of the magazines, rendering them 20 round single stacks.

If a STEN mag will will fit, will a Sterling mag?  Sterling mags are double feed, but the Sterling would accept Sterling mags & STEN mags.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#34]
If a STEN mag will will fit, will a Sterling mag?  Sterling mags are double feed, but the Sterling would accept Sterling mags & STEN mags.
View Quote

I only tested with MP5, but I think no double feed magazine can work. It's very close: the tip of the stripper rail touches cartridges. But in my opinion this is not enough for reliable feeding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Will a Colt/Uzi mag fit?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Disappointing, but not surprising. Honestly figure that was the case, guess I'm gonna settle for the Henry mags.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Disappointing, but not surprising. Honestly figure that was the case, guess I'm gonna settle for the Henry mags.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:  If Henry or someone else were to put out a Homestead magwell that allowed for scorpion mags though, Id buy the thing tonight.

Not the inexpensive, widely available, and produced by multiple manufacturers Glock mags?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Not the inexpensive, widely available, and produced by multiple manufacturers Glock mags?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:  If Henry or someone else were to put out a Homestead magwell that allowed for scorpion mags though, Id buy the thing tonight.

I could, but as it is a range/plinking gun and not a serious use gun, I am focusing on aesthetics and functionality. Plus, maybe just me, but my experience with non-OEM Glock mags isn't the greatest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#39]

I could, but as it is a range/plinking gun and not a serious use gun, I am focusing on aesthetics and functionality. Plus, maybe just me, but my experience with non-OEM Glock mags isn't the greatest.
View All Quotes

So.... use OEM Glock mags?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:04:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#40]

I could, but as it is a range/plinking gun and not a serious use gun, I am focusing on aesthetics and functionality.
View Quote

The above sounds a little contradictory to me, because nothing is more functional than Glock magazine.

That said, Henry's own manazine grinds my gears because it's just not beautiful in the 5 round variety. They spent the effort to create a little bit of "pot belly" sculpture of the trigger group and the magazine adapter, but then ruined everything by placing the blob of the buttplate in the middle. My first urge was to make a rotary magazine that matches the outline of the gun (obviously with its own adapter, because it needs the width).

Unfortunately, it's not an easy enough task. I've not built mass produced magazines before, especially where the quality is job 1. Also, the market is balking on expensive accessories, unless you manage to go viral.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#41]

The above sounds a little contradictory to me, because nothing is more functional than Glock magazine.

That said, Henry's own manazine grinds my gears because it's just not beautiful in the 5 round variety. They spent the effort to create a little bit of "pot belly" sculpture of the trigger group and the magazine adapter, but then ruined everything by placing the blob of the buttplate in the middle. My first urge was to make a rotary magazine that matches the outline of the gun (obviously with its own adapter, because it needs the width).

Unfortunately, it's not an easy enough task. I've not built mass produced magazines before, especially where the quality is job 1. Also, the market is balking on expensive accessories, unless you manage to go viral.
View Quote

That may be a mistake on my part, I didnt mean the magazine, I more meant the gun.  

I'd buy a AR-9 style PCC that takes glock mags if I just wanted reliability and functionality. I want the Homesteader more because I like the look.
But as im only using it as a range gun, while Glock mags may be more reliable, they arent pretty. Is it dumb to prefer less reliable mags? Probably, but...

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#42]

That may be a mistake on my part, I didnt mean the magazine, I more meant the gun.  

I'd buy a AR-9 style PCC that takes glock mags if I just wanted reliability and functionality. I want the Homesteader more because I like the look.
But as im only using it as a range gun, while Glock mags may be more reliable, they arent pretty. Is it dumb to prefer less reliable mags? Probably, but...
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2FnXhar6tWV7UAAAAC%2Fill-do-what-i-want-eric-cartman.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=555576b7ef16722d377cd84120a5f1bd3d1236dda482400e7c40783f6d3a22a5&ipo=images
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zaitcev:  The above sounds a little contradictory to me, because nothing is more functional than Glock magazine.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2FnXhar6tWV7UAAAAC%2Fill-do-what-i-want-eric-cartman.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=555576b7ef16722d377cd84120a5f1bd3d1236dda482400e7c40783f6d3a22a5&ipo=images

No worries, man.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Henry Homesteader 9mm (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top