Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2014 5:21:35 PM EDT
Hey guys.

I bought an old Aussie Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk III that had its stocks butchered with the purpose of turning it into a classic styled Lee Sporter.
Something maybe like this.

Or

This is my rifle and what I have to work with.

I'm not planning on taking the clip guide off of the rifle, but I do want to replace the rear sight with express sights, and obviously re-stock the rifle. (Boyd's walnut stock set)

That all being said, I'm concerned over putting a new stock on the rifle. Right now, it has a brass barrel band that is at the front of the fore-end.
Edit: You can see where the rear barrel band was removed and a blank space in the stock remains.

Most of the conversions I've seen have no barrel band. I'm wondering if I should just cut the barrel band off and re-stock, or if I should inlet the stock for the band.

I've heard of people having accuracy issues with Enfields because they apparently 'need' upward pressure on the barrel. I got to thinking though, how many other conventional styled (and stocked) rifles have anything putting pressure upwards on the barrel.

So, I'm asking for advice and guidance in what can be done. I will also try to update this thread with my build as it progresses.

Edit: Going to cross post this to the C&R if thats ok.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
why not restore it to original?

I'm a purist (~)
but it is your rifle
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought about it, and I do plan on getting an original.

But, to me, there's just something special (and sexy) about those Commercial rifles that scream "Africa hunting" to me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the accuracy like now?  Have you checked the headspace?  I can't wait to see your responses from the C&R forum.  I think you can make it look quite nice - I've never heard about "pressure" on the SMLE bbl, but I've never investigated restocking one either.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The accuracy is fair enough right now in its current condition. Nothing formal was done but it is minute of a milk jug at 100 yards.
Much better at 50 yards.

I just posted this in the C&R. Hopefully it'll get a bit more visibility there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the concept.
Peter Laidler, former Armourer, is the guru of all things Lee-Enfield, and has written a couple of books, a butt-load of tutorials, and posted voluminously re. these rifles on various milsurp boards.
I suspect a search for his name in conjunction with bedding or some such would get you the info you need.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the concept.
Peter Laidler, former Armourer, is the guru of all things Lee-Enfield, and has written a couple of books, a butt-load of tutorials, and posted voluminously re. these rifles on various milsurp boards.
I suspect a search for his name in conjunction with bedding or some such would get you the info you need.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find a bit of information on what I'm trying to do, but I'm not asking Google the right questions.
Thanks for this new lead.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Tagging, something I've always wanted to do
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Neither the re-contouring or the checkering would be that difficult to do yourself. However I would strongly suggest you pick up some junk/spare stocks to practice on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither the re-contouring or the checkering would be that difficult to do yourself. However I would strongly suggest you pick up some junk/spare stocks to practice on.
View Quote

Hah, I don't have the stones to try and checker a piece of wood. Not yet. I'd like to try in the future, but the investment on good tools and the experience are keeping me from committing.
I'd leave this stock smooth, or maybe send it to someone who can do a nice job.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Subbed to see how you do...also, any details on that bandolier/ammo belt?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top