Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
@sixtysixdeuce. Did you cut down the cones to fit 12 in there? How far if you can share.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
If you have a F1 in hand what can they say?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
Originally Posted By jhereg:

I'd like to try one of those.  There are "reasons" I"m not willing to order one.  
If you have a F1 in hand what can they say?
Anyone have a direct link to those? I actually have a two stroke triple I might use them for, if they’re on the cheap side.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:
@sixtysixdeuce. Did you cut down the cones to fit 12 in there? How far if you can share.
View Quote
Yes, and the spacer.  11 of them are .35", the front one is shorter
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sixtysixdeuce:

Yes, and the spacer.  11 of them are .35", the front one is shorter
View Quote
Spacer is easy to cut. The cones might be more difficult. I have a few for spares for experimentation.

Worst case I go beg lathe time at a buddys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 11:30:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bobbybananas] [#5]
Since this thread is back, I have an update for my modification. I added a wipe between end cap and last baffle and it’s a noticeable difference. I think it came out of a faucet kit and it’s hole diam is pretty damn close to 0.22”. It just clamps in there without issue when the end cap is threaded on.  it sounds like a BB gun when running Remington subsonic in a 10/22. No wear so far on the wipe.

Also I’ve noticed k baffle models are all over eBay now, although they’re 2x the price. I couldn’t find any when I ordered this cone type filter.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Doing God’s work.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
These filters can still be found.  They are twice the price now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AvalonRifle:
Interesting review.  Thanks very much for taking the time to produce it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Absolutely.  That's why there's really no useful formula for building these things and getting optimal performance.  Changes in baffle spacing, blast chamber size, cone angle, cone shoulder, clip style & size can have a significant impact on performance, both suppression and influence on bullet flight.   Some designs are more forgiving than others, though, which is why smooth 60° cones are popular with the F1 crowd; they tend to perform pretty well with a wide range of pressures & volumes.
View Quote
If you don't mind me asking, what angle drill bit did you use? Did you try to match the 60° of the cone or just go with a standard 82° bit. Also I really appreciate the write up! It got me motivated to send in my first form 1 this week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NostalgiaforInfinity:

If you don't mind me asking, what angle drill bit did you use? Did you try to match the 60° of the cone or just go with a standard 82° bit. Also I really appreciate the write up! It got me motivated to send in my first form 1 this week.
View Quote
If you're talking about the reprofiling of the inside, I did it quick & dirty with a 60° starter drill/countersink.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]

If you're talking about the reprofiling of the inside, I did it quick & dirty with a 60° starter drill/countersink.
View Quote
Sweet that's what I was thinking, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If anyone else might be interested, a 3/4" O.D. by 1/2" shank drill bushing will fit in both the endcap and cone of the eBay kit.

Link Posted: 10/25/2019 8:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#13]
Looks like ebay took down all the “fuel filter” listings maybe two weeks ago.
I bought another just before that happened.

I would be Ok with these being for 22LR only.
$200 and change plus a potentially quick E filed form one, hard to beat for a 22 suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
They are on Ebay, but they are harder to find.
You have to search for "storage cups", "wix 4003", "solvent trap". "fuel filter" etc...  Keep searching until you find one, then scroll down the listing to look at similar items...it's a bit of a rabbit trail.
You can find them on Aliexpress.com as well.  I bought a couple of them there.  One is an "F" style, 8" with 10 baffles that I ordered just for the extra baffles.  Still waiting on them since they ship from China or HongKong
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#15]
1/2-28  Steel cups that are pretty thin.

5/8-24
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
1/2-28  Steel cups that are pretty thin.

5/8-24
View Quote
Dead links
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#17]
If anyone else might be interested, a 3/4" O.D. by 1/2" shank drill bushing will fit in both the endcap and cone of the eBay kit.

https://i.ibb.co/SPYtM0D/IMG-20191025-164407.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/WFHxbHw/IMG-20191025-164428.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/hVdMM2F/IMG-20191025-163954.jpg
View Quote
What purpose does that serve?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By zlman:

Dead links
View Quote
That didn't take long!!  Only posted them here, so that makes me wonder....
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:30:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#19]
Originally Posted By Rodent:

What purpose does that serve?
View Quote
What part or piece?

Top aluminum piece is a holder for the cone.  Made to hold the cone upside down so you can place the drill bushing in the backside of the cone, hold the cone tightly and use a drill bit the size of the drill bushing to poke a hole in the cone.  Can also be used to hold the cone tip up to use the 3D printed guide tool to make the clips which I based on the size SixtySix used in the first post.  I used aluminum here since you'll be drilling multiple cones.

The 3D printed piece for the endcap is to hold it while using the drill bushing.  Only drilling one thing, so no need for an aluminum holder.

ETA:  None of them are necessary.  Both the cones and endcap could easily be held in a vice with something soft between them and the vice.  Even after letting a customer know this, they still wanted the holders and guide, so I made them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#20]

What part or piece?

Top aluminum piece is a holder for the cone.  Made to hold the cone upside down so you can place the drill bushing in the backside of the cone, hold the cone tightly and use a drill bit the size of the drill bushing to poke a hole in the cone.  Can also be used to hold the cone tip up to use the 3D printed guide tool to make the clips which I based on the size SixtySix used in the first post.  I used aluminum here since you'll be drilling multiple cones.

The 3D printed piece for the endcap is to hold it while using the drill bushing.  Only drilling one thing, so no need for an aluminum holder.

ETA:  None of them are necessary.  Both the cones and endcap could easily be held in a vice with something soft between them and the vice.  Even after letting a customer know this, they still wanted the holders and guide, so I made them.
View Quote
And I appreciate it. It's my first form 1 so I'm going to be extra careful with drilling precisely on center and try to not mess things up. Parts came in today and look great by the way!
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Urotex:
They are on Ebay, but they are harder to find.
You have to search for "storage cups", "wix 4003", "solvent trap". "fuel filter" etc...  Keep searching until you find one, then scroll down the listing to look at similar items...it's a bit of a rabbit trail.
You can find them on Aliexpress.com as well.  I bought a couple of them there.  One is an "F" style, 8" with 10 baffles that I ordered just for the extra baffles.  Still waiting on them since they ship from China or HongKong
View Quote
They are hung up in customs in Chicago.
It has been over a month, so I may not ever get them.
I'll probably request a refund with Aliexpress tomorrow.
Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a couple other "filters" hanging out in LA customs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:41:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Strayz] [#24]
Rather than getting them on Ebay and that whole drama thing go to the source.

Aliexpress_DoT_Com and look through auto parts for fuel filters.

11Pcs 1x6 Fuel Oil Filter Car Replacement Spare for 1/2-28 End Cap Fuel Filters Napa 4003 Wix 24003 Automobiles Filters Cups

Five bucks and change. Yes you are buying chicom parts, but then again for $220.00 or under you have your .22 can. I know I am saving up (for a stamp) Now.

And that purple anodizing is kinda sexy... ROFLMAO   :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hQyWtm]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:07:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#25]
Still has to be shipped into the states at which time Customs gets to decided who gets what.

There might be some monocores sold from within the states still available on eBay.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Still has to be shipped into the states at which time Customs gets to decided who gets what...
View Quote
If you order a couple, and if your package is one of the ones they search, and if your package is then one of the ones they decide you may not have, then how much are you out?
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know what the seller will do, and I haven't gotten that far yet.  Unfortunately, with the spread of arrival dates given by the seller, I won't be able to do anything until after the last possible day that they could arrive which will be next month for me.

I'd likely be able to get my money back if the products don't show up.

I just wonder how many manufacturers cried about these easy to form 1 kits that brought such a evil eye on them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine are still in customs in Chicago.
I opened a dispute with AliExpress, basically they said that customs was my problem.
Buyer beware.  But I'm only out $20.
Maybe they will show up someday...  I still haven't got a letter from customs as to why they are being held up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine are still in customs in Chicago.
I opened a dispute with AliExpress, basically they said that customs was my problem.
Buyer beware.  But I'm only out $20.
Maybe they will show up someday...  I still haven't got a letter from customs as to why they are being held up.
View Quote
Mine are still hung up as well and no letter yet.  I can't dispute it with eBay until Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Mine are still hung up as well and no letter yet.  I can't dispute it with eBay until Saturday.
View Quote
I have a link for a place to buy them that looks like it's US origin shipping. I can PM you if you want.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zlman:

Dead links
When there is doubt there is no doubt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I have seen the US origin ones as well.

The two kits I bought were solely for having one of each cone in hand to make drilling jigs for.  I guess if I can't get mine, others won't be able to get theirs, and I won't need the cones to make the jigs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Just FYI, the ATF put out a directive on "inline filters" Oct 30.  They are actively going after these type of devices that are being imported.  Customs is instructed to confiscate them and notify ATF.  There have been knock and talks already posted about on FB.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#34]
clipped ?? counterbored??
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Can I be grandfathered in?  I ordered on the 26th of Oct.  

Nothing I ordered was clipped or bored.  Just a couple of K-cup filters.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got a letter from the US CBP.  stating:
"This is to notify you that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) seized the property described below at CHICAGO on 11/20/2019:

2 EA Firearm Suppressor N/A

The appraised domestic value of the property is $99.00.

The property was seized and is subject to forfeiture under the provisions of:

19 USC 1595a(c)(1)(C), 49 USC 80302(a)(2)-Firearm imported by an Unregistered/Untaxed Importer"

I can file a petition to seek remission of the forfeiture, make a Offer in Compromise, Abandon the property,  Request Court Action  by submitting a $250 bond, take no action.

Ugh
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#37]
"This is to notify you that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) seized the property described below at CHICAGO on 11/20/2019:

19 USC 1595a(c)(1)(C), 49 USC 80302(a)(2)-Firearm imported by an Unregistered/Untaxed Importer"

I can file a petition to seek remission of the forfeiture, make a Offer in Compromise, Abandon the property,  Request Court Action  by submitting a $250 bond, take no action.

Ugh
View Quote
That's very interesting on a couple levels.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got a letter
View Quote
Just forget it and move on

Which kit was this for?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Ugh
View Quote
Which kits were they that were declared to be silencers?  The ones I started this thread about are no different from the many legal non-firearm kits made here, but I've seen several for sale that were either complete monocore suppressors or complete baffled cans that just needed the end cap poked (baffles were drilled already, ergo silencer parts)
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#40]
The ones that I have held up in customs, no letter yet, are K-Cup style with no holes other than the adapter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm sending a petition as follows:

"I would like to request remission of the forfeiture on the grounds that the property seized was incorrectly characterized as “2 EA Firearm Suppressor N/A”.    Enclosed is the invoice from the seller describing the items purchased as “Car Fuel Filter Car Solvent Traps”.  If you inspect the items in your possession, you will see that the end caps and storage cups in the solvent traps are solid and would not allow passage of a projectile through them.  As such, they can not function or be characterized as a “Firearm Suppressor” and are not subject to forfeiture under the provisions of:
19 USC 1595a(c)(1)(C), 49 USC 80302(a)(2)-Firearm imported by an Unregistered/Untaxed Importer."

We'll see what happens.  It only costs me a stamp.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Asylum9] [#42]
Typically if your product get lost in the mail or takes an exceptionally long time they just send a new one. But I've never had something stolen from me by customs. Wonder if you could dispute the charge?

Hopefully someone with a legal background will fight this. I can you confiscate an item for what it Could be? Yeah some of these that are complete like the mono brakes/filters I can understand that a little more. A tube with some spacers or cups seems like a major over reach. If it continues how soon till they try and enforce this on domestic products? It's not like the Glock go fast switches they allowed  in by the tens of thousands. It's a tube at worst can be turned into a hearing protection device.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#43]
@Urotex
You don't lose a stamp over this.
If you have an approved, unbuilt form 1 stamp, you can still build it, legally.
You're simply out the cost of product.

@Asylum9
It's a dichotomy. Customs is probably inundated with these packages and diverts them to ATF. It's easier to send out a blanket form and let a secondary division handle it. Once they get a handle on it, I'd bet the "solvent traps" are no longer an issue.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 2:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#45]
I remember someone posting a pic of a small piece of paper that had official-like language.
But it looked seriously off
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#46]
@BigWaylon
Postage stamp
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By User55645:
@BigWaylon
Postage stamp
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Which kits were they that were declared to be silencers?  The ones I started this thread about are no different from the many legal non-firearm kits made here, but I've seen several for sale that were either complete monocore suppressors or complete baffled cans that just needed the end cap poked (baffles were drilled already, ergo silencer parts)
View Quote
The same one as the ones you used.  One was 6" with 7 cups, and one 8" with 11 cups.  Not drilled.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#49]
The ones that I have held up in customs, no letter yet, are K-Cup style with no holes other than the adapter.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#50]
The Quietbore 22 kit is cheap enough. My buddy has one and it works well enough. I think it was 130 bucks with a coupon.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top