Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2014 5:09:45 PM EDT
Hey guys.  I picked up an M14 stock at Knob Creek yesterday to replace  the black poly stock on one of my M1As. What do you suggest I do with the hole where the selector switch was?  Im concerenced about something getting in the trigger mechanism.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a hunk of walnut that matches and mill it to fit. Of you can get one of those dummy selectors.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The weakest part of the M14 stock is from the auto switch cut-out to the stock liner screw hole. Most M14 stocks that have had to be replaced were from a crack between those two points. The faux auto switch (besides doing nothing positive) aggravates that problem by putting a screw into that potentially weak area.
The best remedy is to tape a sheet of smooth plastic on the inside and outside of the cut-out. Then, with the stock level, fill the void with stock bedding compound (your choice of brands). When the bedding has set, pull off the plastic "dams" and file/sand the contours to match the stock.
You have now filled in the useless hole and strengthened the stock to a greater extent than it ever would be otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The weakest part of the M14 stock is from the auto switch cut-out to the stock liner screw hole. Most M14 stocks that have had to be replaced were from a crack between those two points. The faux auto switch (besides doing nothing positive) aggravates that problem by putting a screw into that potentially weak area.

The best remedy is to tape a sheet of smooth plastic on the inside and outside of the cut-out. Then, with the stock level, fill the void with stock bedding compound (your choice of brands). When the bedding has set, pull off the plastic "dams" and file/sand the contours to match the stock.

You have now filled in the useless hole and strengthened the stock to a greater extent than it ever would be otherwise.
View Quote
I think I"ll go with this.  Plan B is to make a walnut plug and glue it in.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
We used to break them all the time in JROTC (armed drill team). I never saw one crack through the selector cut out area. They 99% of the time broke through the pistol grip (thinnest part) to the rear of the trigger group cut out. Those that didn't simply lost part of the buttstock or cracked along a cleaning kit hole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top