[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FastCar:
@ARogueNinja
@JohnnyUtah427
@DetroitSounds
@eMc9001
@buddyhoohaw

How do you guys like the KAC Skyscraper Mount for the Aimpoint T1/T2  compared to a lower 1/3 co-witness mount, on a KAC 11.5" CQB SBR ?

I'm strongly considering a KAC Skyscraper and would like to get some real world feedback from actual users that are NOT using it with night vision because I don't have or plan to gets NODS at this time.

If you could do it over again would you go with the Skyscraper or stick with the lower 1/3 co-witness you had before the KAC Skyscraper?

I read every thread out there already and can't really find a good answer/explaination.
Only thing of value I saw was that the KAC Skyscraper is very uncomfortable in the prone position.
View Quote

I took the skyscraper off, since I don't run magnifier and I took off the BUIS to run the Atpial as far forward as I can, but I still run a 2.26" height optic mount (Unity FAST).   And yea...I LOVE a high mount red dot as the heads up shooting is so much faster, more comfortable, and more modern.  Highly recommend it, but practice, practice, practice.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

I took the skyscraper off, since I don't run magnifier and I took off the BUIS to run the Atpial as far forward as I can, but I still run a 2.26" height optic mount (Unity FAST).   And yea...I LOVE a high mount red dot as the heads up shooting is so much faster, more comfortable, and more modern.  Highly recommend it, but practice, practice, practice.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51732226990_e1b7e00eb9_b.jpg
View Quote

Second this on my 11.5 CQB. Went from a Skyscraper to a Unity because I don't run a magnifier as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:36:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wetsum3] [#3]
I took a class with my skyscraper mount. I think if most of your shooting is going to be inside of 100 yards, it’s quite good. It is a little uncomfortable in the prone position because you have to lift your chest and head up a little bit to look through the tube appropriately.  It might not be as bad if you have a chest rig in a lot of gear on because that would raise your body up a little bit.  I may be a touch quicker from the low ready with it on.  It’s good to try and see how you adapt to it, as it mates with the CQB gun quite well.  That’s where I see it being applied. I have lower third co witness on my 14.5s bc I shoot orone more with them.  I also don’t think it’s such a drastic change over a lower third cowitness to where you can’t have multiple guns set up differently and you’re proficient with them all.  It does change your height over bore close in enough that it matters.  Try one out, practice, and I think you’ll end up keeping it on at least one gun.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Runs flawlesslyAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FastCar:
@ARogueNinja
@JohnnyUtah427
@DetroitSounds
@eMc9001
@buddyhoohaw

How do you guys like the KAC Skyscraper Mount for the Aimpoint T1/T2  compared to a lower 1/3 co-witness mount, on a KAC 11.5" CQB SBR ?

I'm strongly considering a KAC Skyscraper and would like to get some real world feedback from actual users that are NOT using it with night vision because I don't have or plan to gets NODS at this time.

If you could do it over again would you go with the Skyscraper or stick with the lower 1/3 co-witness you had before the KAC Skyscraper?

I read every thread out there already and can't really find a good answer/explaination.
Only thing of value I saw was that the KAC Skyscraper is very uncomfortable in the prone position.
View Quote

I've gone back and forth but I did just run a 600 round session with CQB with the High rise/ M5. I dig it but went back to 1.93. Although it's only a slight height difference, I'm really dialed in with 1.93. Right now I have an ATACR on 1.93 on SR25, NX8 on a 1.93 and so on, so every rifle feels the same. Hardly a big deal though. I'd say give it a try along with a 1.93, see what ya like.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Mod 2 Carbine upper/ Noveske Gen 2 lower

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:36:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5L33P3R] [#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Embittered] [#11]
@5L33P3R URX get damaged or just wanted to swap to LDR1?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By YeOldeCircles:
@5L33P3R URX get damaged or just wanted to swap to LDR1?
View Quote

Just wanted to try something new.  The ripcord rail is a smaller outer diameter than the urx4 so that’ll be something to get use to, but it seems very sturdy and rigid.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 12:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: convexx] [#13]
A lot of blasphemy going on here: Surefire OBC with E-3 bolt and cam pin. Radian ADAC lower.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Think I found a ambi lower for my new mk 2 upper, but prior to that I was debating just buying a complete gen 4 Noveske ambi rifle to put the lower on my Sr15, I’ve wanted a Noveske since I was a kid, I know they are a life style brand a la Q post John, but their stuff still is beautiful and looks super high quality. Now I have an extra radian lower laying around, so maybe I’ll go Noveske for my competition upper.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By convexx:
A lot of blasphemy going on here: Surefire OBC with E-3 bolt and cam pin. Radian ADAC lower.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/559191/2022-03-19_9-36-09-2318796.png
View Quote

The Radian lowers are real nice, but I couldn't justify the $100 uncharge over a ADM which is also a great ambience lower. Bet it's a great shooter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: convexx] [#16]
Originally Posted By friskydingo:

The Radian lowers are real nice, but I couldn't justify the $100 uncharge over a ADM which is also a great ambience lower. Bet it's a great shooter.
View Quote

I usually buy them partially stripped (missing trigger) on notifications from dealers. ADM is great as well. It's a great shooter for sure, and the Surefire OBC helps a lot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By captainhaggs:
Think I found a ambi lower for my new mk 2 upper, but prior to that I was debating just buying a complete gen 4 Noveske ambi rifle to put the lower on my Sr15, I’ve wanted a Noveske since I was a kid, I know they are a life style brand a la Q post John, but their stuff still is beautiful and looks super high quality. Now I have an extra radian lower laying around, so maybe I’ll go Noveske for my competition upper.
View Quote

I have a Gen4 lower on an 11.5" as well. Great stuff. I love KAC but my (KAC) lowers have so much slop when running the KAC uppers that I decided long ago to go billet for the lowers. You'll love the Gen4 lower.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]

I have a Gen4 lower on an 11.5" as well. Great stuff. I love KAC but my (KAC) lowers have so much slop when running the KAC uppers that I decided long ago to go billet for the lowers. You'll love the Gen4 lower.
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

WTF?
View Quote

Upper/lower fitment isn't great, even on factory guns, so I run Radian lowers on my KAC uppers. You do you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Regency] [#20]
Took some more employees out to shoot Knights for their first time.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Upper/lower fitment isn't great, even on factory guns, so I run Radian lowers on my KAC uppers. You do you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

WTF?

Weird, all of my Kacs are tight as a drum...have never known anyone with looseness either....did you try having Kac check it out?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:

Weird, all of my Kacs are tight as a drum...have never known anyone with looseness either....did you try having Kac check it out?
View Quote
I have a little bit of play in my SR15's but not the SR25
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Nothing wrong with mix-matching KAC uppers to XYZ lowers but to say its because KAC fitment isn't great seems off to me.  How many have you had fitment issues with?

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Nothing wrong with mix-matching KAC uppers to XYZ lowers but to say its because KAC fitment isn't great seems off to me.  How many have you had fitment issues with?

Cheers
View Quote

I've had three SR lowers. Two of the three had lots of slop. I know it's not an issue functionally but I always ran an accu-wedge in them with KAC uppers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#25]

I've had three SR lowers. Two of the three had lots of slop. I know it's not an issue functionally but I always ran an accu-wedge in them with KAC uppers.
View Quote

Yup. That’s been my solution.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Yup. That’s been my solution.
View Quote

:thumbsup:
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

All of my KAC's have had a bit of slop. Easiest fix is the JP micro sized pins for the SR15's. Most of my guns I got away with just the slightly bigger pins, but one of my factory guns I needed to use the "extra oversized" takedown pins due to how much slop there was. But, it's perfect now. No need to throw foam or rubber wedges in your lowers if you don't want to. It's a permanent solution.

FYI no bueno for the SR25. The JP pins are too short.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AndysAR15name:

All of my KAC's have had a bit of slop. Easiest fix is the JP micro sized pins for the SR15's. Most of my guns I got away with just the slightly bigger pins, but one of my factory guns I needed to use the "extra oversized" takedown pins due to how much slop there was. But, it's perfect now. No need to throw foam or rubber wedges in your lowers if you don't want to. It's a permanent solution.

FYI no bueno for the SR25. The JP pins are too short.
View Quote
I'm looking at their website, did you order the 'oversize', 'standard', or 'undersize' ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Regency:
I'm looking at their website, did you order the 'oversize', 'standard', or 'undersize' ?
View Quote

If he is trying to remove slop, I would expect him to use the oversize pins.  The undersize pins are used if the upper and lower are too tight and difficult to get the pins out for takedown.  If you have slop, the oversize is what you want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:32:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captainhaggs] [#30]
Wish they sold the Noveske gen 4 lower separate of the rifle, anyone try a gen 4? I know everyone says they’re a lifestyle brand now?

Their guns always looked Gucci as hell and were top of the market. Has quality really decreased so much since John and his right hand dude left?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By duckhook02:

If he is trying to remove slop, I would expect him to use the oversize pins.  The undersize pins are used if the upper and lower are too tight and difficult to get the pins out for takedown.  If you have slop, the oversize is what you want.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By duckhook02:
Originally Posted By Regency:

That’s right. If you have a little slop the oversized will help tighten that right up.
If you have a lot of slop, they sell an “extra oversized” which will tighten up even the loosest fitting gun. But with the extra oversized you run the risk of making your gun too tight and not being able to separate the upper and lower with just your fingers. You might need a bullet or something.

Winning combo i’ve found is extra oversized up front, since I never remove that anyways, and just an oversized in the rear. This allows you to still pop out the rear to service the gun/clean etc, and should completely tighten up the loosest of the SR15s out there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome. Thanks for the info on the OS-pins. I am going to order a few pairs today.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: convexx] [#33]
Originally Posted By captainhaggs:
Wish they sold the Noveske gen 4 lower separate of the rifle, anyone try a gen 4? I know everyone says they’re a lifestyle brand now?

Their guns always looked Gucci as hell and were top of the market. Has quality really decreased so much since John and his right hand dude left?
View Quote

I own two Gen4s. One was a complete rifle with a 16" SS upper in Bazooka Green. I sold the upper and kept the lower. I shoot a lot and only run CHF/CL barrels. SS is great but not for me. I have another Gen4 lower pulled from another complete rifle. I think that the lowers are fantastic quality; on par with Radian and other top tier billet lowers. I prefer it aesthetically to the Radian but both are great.

I like how slim the NSR handguards are, but I think the attachment sucks. Just dumb. Lining up the screws? C'mon. I had a CHF switchblock upper on my SBR lower that was a laser, but so heavy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Kudos to those who shoot their guns. Most seem to be fixated with what they are worth
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I don’t often photograph my firearms, but the 14.5 looked good yesterday.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By VinnyElCamino:
I don’t often photograph my firearms, but the 14.5 looked good yesterday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/551999/4F045E6B-F56A-478C-80E1-2B68DF775ED7_jpe-2332853.JPG
View Quote

Diggin the color. What is it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Field Drab + Olive Drab
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Field Drab + Olive Drab
View Quote

Rattlecan is the only way. ;)
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:40:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: convexx] [#40]
View Quote

So many of us running the skyscraper. Is that a full power PEQ-15? Want to sell it?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Field Drab + Olive Drab

FYI...Aervoe is dropping their .mil camo paint line according to Big Tex, so buy the colors that you like now.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

FYI...Aervoe is dropping their .mil camo paint line according to Big Tex, so buy the colors that you like now.  
View Quote

I picked up quite a few when they had like a buy 5 get 1 free sale + their discount code. Aervoe is  definitely the best rattlecan option available imo
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 5:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#43]

View Quote

Aervoe is very impressive paint.  Sorry to see it go.

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been using Aluma-Hyde, but I don't like giving Brownells any cash. I'll buy some, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#45]

I picked up quite a few when they had like a buy 5 get 1 free sale + their discount code. Aervoe is  definitely the best rattlecan option available imo
View All Quotes

I snagged up some during that sale too. Had to grab some more FD as my one in-use can stopped spraying and the 2 that I had never used refused to spray as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Cheers
View All Quotes

Cheers

Yup. Properly applied and cured, the shit is almost like a coating.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Onevia] [#47]
Originally Posted By AndysAR15name:All of my KAC's have had a bit of slop. Easiest fix is the JP micro sized pins for the SR15's.
View Quote
My dad was able to get a factory MOD 2 late last year and it also had a bit of slop. Front take down pin measured at .248 and rear was .249. Installing a JP oversized pin (.249) in the front removed all of the play with a loaded mag inserted. Without the mag it just barely has a touch of play (which actually makes disassembly nice and easy).

I tried to put the JP extra oversized pin (.250) in the rear, but it was too tight for the rear upper receiver hole. The extra oversized pin (.250) did fit in all lower receiver take down pin holes... If I had to guess I'd say the lower receiver holes are about .251-.252-ish in size. For reference, my stripped LMT MARS-L lower won't even let a .249 pin through.

With that said, the JP pins were indeed an easy fix. My dads MOD 2 is easily one of the best AR's I've ever shot (Mod will have to approve pic, because of post count):
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Yup. Properly applied and cured, the shit is almost like a coating.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. I ordered a bunch from BigTex (pkg deal).
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#49]
PerfectionAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice. RC2 and a high power PEQ.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top