Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on an RH25... but I have concerns.

I see that iRay has recently come out with updated 2nd Version units of a few of their Thermals.  I'd hate to buy one just to have a Version 2 unit be released 30 days later.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Not that was mentioned at Shot.
Good to go to order now. We have units in stock, shipping out same day ordered.
View Quote

If Robert from JRH has RH25s for sale I'll fall off my chair! Why? Because he didn't have this item until recently and there are far and few between I'd spend over 4ks with and he's definitely one of the most reliable and trustworthy guys I know.

Owned one of these awesome handheld, mountable and helmet borne thermals that has changed the tune of such optics. So many options to use it with with success and as of late - some seriously R&D endeavors that have resulted in the object of some desire - my man from Deutsche! But in convince from JRH.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Apologies in advance if shameless plugs to C-grade YouTube channels aren't allowed here but we just went live with better part of 20 minutes of onboard RH25 footage and initial impressions after owning one for 2 weeks. Frustratingly difficult to find much actual RH25 footage in feature-length YouTube reviews. Read this entire thread and SnipersHide one before buying so many thanks to all the knowledge transfer here, especially by French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihko860jtQU&t=2s

Mods please delete if not allowed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had mine out a few nights now, and man the menu is just clumsy.  If the thing had one more button I think they could have made the interface a lot better.

Now for my question, I stumbled into a setting a few days ago where I could switch between clip on and hand held by just pushing one button, I think it was the menu button, and the menu wouldn't pop up.  I'm not sure how I got into that setting but for what I am trying to do with it, it was very handy.  Otherwise, you have to hold menu, push menu on the highlighted clip on/hand held icon, then hold menu again to get it to go away, otherwise it is blocking the middle of the screen.

What is the process to streamline that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
I've had mine out a few nights now, and man the menu is just clumsy.  If the thing had one more button I think they could have made the interface a lot better.

Now for my question, I stumbled into a setting a few days ago where I could switch between clip on and hand held by just pushing one button, I think it was the menu button, and the menu wouldn't pop up.  I'm not sure how I got into that setting but for what I am trying to do with it, it was very handy.  Otherwise, you have to hold menu, push menu on the highlighted clip on/hand held icon, then hold menu again to get it to go away, otherwise it is blocking the middle of the screen.

Thanks
View Quote

From the Main Screen showing (no menu bar showing) press and hold the menu button to switch between Handheld and Clip on mode.

OR

If the menu bar is showing in either mode, clear that menu off the screen by pressing and holding the menu button. Once menu disappears then press and hold menu button to switch between the Handheld and Clip on mode.

Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice video.  Shows how great that unit is.  

I wonder if by PID at 75 yards they meant making out specific individuals?

Cheers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Blitzy113:
Apologies in advance if shameless plugs to C-grade YouTube channels aren't allowed here but we just went live with better part of 20 minutes of onboard RH25 footage and initial impressions after owning one for 2 weeks. Frustratingly difficult to find much actual RH25 footage in feature-length YouTube reviews. Read this entire thread and SnipersHide one before buying so many thanks to all the knowledge transfer here, especially by French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihko860jtQU&t=2s

Mods please delete if not allowed.
View Quote
Awesome footage man!
Really shows the capabilities of the unit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gastone165] [#9]
I have an Rh25 and also a new RH50P rifle scope. They both preform great. The menus on them are mostly similar, but are frustratingly different in several areas. After sighting both units in, I find some of the things such as screens that the manual says are available are not there. Both units are new within the last two months, so I’m wondering if they have older software and that’s why it differs from the manual. One thing I have noticed is trying to save my sighting in data.

It’s nice to record the settings of your particular rifle profiles. They differ depending on the zoom setting.
To do this I zoom in for the best accuracy, 12 pwr on the rifle scope, then I enter the menu program, make my way through all the setting choices until I get to the X&Y adjustment page. With the unit still zoomed in I sight the scope in. At this point the numbers under the X and Y settings mean nothing. I long press the menu button which saves the settings. This is when they change to different numbers. I write those numbers down. Then I back out of the entire menu, and turn off the scope. After rebooting it, I re-zoom the scope back to 12 power, then I go back through the menu to the X&Y settings page and verify the numbers are correct. After verifying they are correct I back out of the menu completely.

Then, with the scope on base power magnification, I then enter the menu and proceed to the X&Y zeroing page and write down the numbers showing.
This is the important part. The numbers will be different depending on what your scope zoom setting is when you look at the zeroing page.

The reason I know this is, I wrote them down while sighting it in at 12 power. When I got home, I went to write the numbers down, but it wasn’t zoomed in, so they didn’t match. This caused me to go back to the range and go through the whole thing again for no reason.

I hope this makes sense, I’m not a computer programmer.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks
View Quote

That's one of the main reasons I sold mine. The menu interface just plain sucks IMHO. That and the fact you still need to zero it to used as a clip-on. Other than that, the resolution was awesome!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

That's one of the main reasons I sold mine. The menu interface just plain sucks IMHO. That and the fact you still need to zero it to used as a clip-on. Other than that, the resolution was awesome!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

Thanks

What's the procedure for zeroing as a clip on? Any differences if using it in front of a magnified optic vice a red dot?

Still don't have a mount that works with my LT660 height T2s (waiting for our Teutonic friend to do his thing) so I haven't messed with it in front of anything yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

What's the procedure for zeroing as a clip on? Any differences if using it in front of a magnified optic vice a red dot?

Still don't have a mount that works with my LT660 height T2s (waiting for our Teutonic friend to do his thing) so I haven't messed with it in front of anything yet.
View Quote

In clip-on mode you just move the screen to match your point of impact to your point of aim. It's the same for magnified or non-magnified optics. You will have to re-zero if you move it from one gun to another as a clip-on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:26:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hox] [#13]
Cold Harbor Supply 1.93" mount is as advertised. Perfect alignment

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sbye:

In clip-on mode you just move the screen to match your point of impact to your point of aim. It's the same for magnified or non-magnified optics. You will have to re-zero if you move it from one gun to another as a clip-on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Where did you track down one of those? I wouldn't mind picking one up just to have.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Where did you track down one of those? I wouldn't mind picking one up just to have.
View Quote

https://coldharboursupply.com/en-us/products/cold-harbour-1-93-qd-riser-for-rh25-pfalcon640
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#17]

I didn't think they shipped to the US. That must have changed recently.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I believe they won't ship the actual PF640 unit, not the accessories.  Accessories should be good to go to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

I believe they won't ship the actual PF640 unit, not the accessories.  Accessories should be good to go to my knowledge.
View Quote
Correct. No issues getting the mount sent across the boarder
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I just received mine and the battery compartment has the same style corrosion.  I reached out to CNV, and he said iRay would switch it out if i wanted no problem.  It hasn't affected performance yet, and I just got it.  I might send it back in a month of two.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Hard anodizing now looks as it should.
There will be a pre-order starting soon. I invite everyone who is interested to join the email list at https://jv-innovations.com/
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By javemtr:
There will be a pre-order starting soon. I invite everyone who is interested to join the email list at https://jv-innovations.com/
https://i.imgur.com/A4Ll46e.jpeg
View Quote

Looks good. And I signed up
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
https://i.imgur.com/A4Ll46e.jpeg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]

@WTFShane

it may have been said before, but what mount/riser are you running?

thanks

T
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 5L33P3R:

@WTFShane

it may have been said before, but what mount/riser are you running?

thanks

T
View Quote

I'm using the Irregular Defense OMM.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

I'm using the Irregular Defense OMM.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a RH25 scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
I worked through the 20 pages here, it looks like the Knights (unobtanium) bridge is the most flexible option. I have a Willcox bridge and dovetails that I'm going to start with, but are the ebay knockoffs of the KVC/OSS setup worth it to run a right eye PVS-14 with left eye RH25?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got my RQE bridge and the obverse shoe mount for the PVS-14, both from eBay, and subsequently from China, and it's a pretty sturdy piece of kit. The anodizing may not be as tough as US but the unit itself is very functional. I have the Mod Armory PVS-14 bridge and used to have a Wilcox setup but, yes, the RQE is far more functional for me.  14 on the right, 25 on the left and equal distance from my eyes and pupilary adjustments to boot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:04:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blitzy113] [#29]
View Quote

Sorry to put you on the spot like this but I am on the email list and was surprised to see the most recent email about slight redesign to the location of the pic rail section. I assume this is going to slow down when units are available for preorder.

I was hoping to "buy once cry once" and snag one of your mounts instead of the iRay AC52 shoe but not if it means months without a way to weapon-mount my RH25. Can you give us any idea when we can realistically expect units to begin shipping? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Blitzy113:
Sorry to put you on the spot like this but I am on the email list and was surprised to see the most recent email about slight redesign to the location of the pic rail section. I assume this is going to slow down when units are available for preorder.
I was hoping to "buy once cry once" and snag one of your mounts instead of the iRay AC52 shoe but not if it means months without a way to weapon-mount my RH25. Can you give us any idea when we can realistically expect units to begin shipping? Thanks!
View Quote

Yes, I totally understand your concerns! Saying that might sound like hollow marketing speak, but trust me, I'm sitting on hot coals right now trying to find a way to finish these rails.
Before going ahead with the production batch, I still want to check a few prototype pieces to make sure everything is in order. Unfortunately, the big bottleneck now is to get machine time with my machinist. I'm already talking to another bigger shop to set up a parallel production, hopefully I will get news in the next few days.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I had to share thus because I find it a little bit ridiculous.  Not to anyone here in this 20+ page Thread about what I personally feel is one of the best thermal "Force Multipliers" in the business. Most should know this term...

Find it funny that there are some just finding out about this device just now and advertising it as some "All New" mountable thermal which has broken the market free.  There are many vendors selling this item with all sorts of mounts.

Must send some applause to our Deutsche friend from JV Innovations for really raising the bar on mounts.  With all these OSS Obverse Shoes and Bridges cloned by this or that I have to give props where due. Can't wait for mine! Hope to one day view the night thru differed eyes in a way I can see the the Predator.  (Tryin to find the pic)

Most here know where to buy one by now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Been following this thread a while but wanted to share I bought a new unit from FamilyFirearms and there is that same discoloration in my battery compartment. Can this be cleaned myself, or is an RMA worth chasing? The unit works perfectly well despite that cosmetic piece.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone have a “through the optic” view of an Elcan 1/4x on 1x with the RH25? It looks phenomenal in front of my 1X microprism, but I don’t exactly want to by an Elcan on a whim just to find out the 1X is unusable with the RH25 in front of it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Walrus] [#35]
Originally Posted By hydrostatic_cling:
Been following this thread a while but wanted to share I bought a new unit from FamilyFirearms and there is that same discoloration in my battery compartment. Can this be cleaned myself, or is an RMA worth chasing? The unit works perfectly well despite that cosmetic piece.
View Quote

From what Iray USA has told me, this is the new normal, and it is a byproduct of the manufacturing process and will affect the unit in no way at all.

Mine is the same, as well as others who've purchased fresh units. Seems the change was early this year/very late last year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#36]
It almost looks like brazing, not corrosion.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RRAR15:
Does anyone have a “through the optic” view of an Elcan 1/4x on 1x with the RH25? It looks phenomenal in front of my 1X microprism, but I don’t exactly want to by an Elcan on a whim just to find out the 1X is unusable with the RH25 in front of it.
View Quote

I considered using it on an Elcan, but once I put a 1.5-4x scope behind it I found that I almost never use 4x. I think the Elcan would be great at 1x, but I don't think it would be a great option for this thermal. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:54:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hydrostatic_cling] [#38]
I took a few qtips of 91% isopropyl and wiped off where there was the residue inside the battery compartment. It looks perfectly fine now. Just enough to dampen a swab is enough. Now to wait for a JV shoe and find a well-priced Wilcox skeetir mount.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZULUKILO] [#39]
View Quote

This was posted in the night vision subreddit's discord server recently.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#40]
View Quote

@RRAR15

This was posted a while back: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Iray-RH25-Thermal-Monocular-Thread/18-535792/?page=9#i5801850

Edit: Quoted wrong post.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gastone165] [#41]
This part just became available. It modifies the Mod Armory Bridge and seems to fix the eye relief and pupillary eye distance issues.

https://darknightoutdoors.com/iray-rico-mini-rh-25-rl-25-pvs-14-bridge-adapter-for-mod-armory-pre-order-deposit/
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

@RRAR15

I’m really sorry that I don’t have a photo to back up my statement, but I had two elcan 1/4x in use with the RH25 and was slightly disappointed

The Elcan itself is one of my all time favorite optics and I thought it would be incredible with the RH25

What I found is that the 1x on the Elcan is so true that you get a lot of the RH25 black border around the screen on 1x, and just an overall odd viewing experience due to some unique exit pupil size of the Elcan 1x prism. Or it’s some other reason the 1x prism doesn’t work incredibly well with the RH25 that I just can’t explain.

In fact my 2 Elcans weren’t super consistent with eachother in terms of how the 1x image appeared. One was better than the other with the RH25. They were all properly set up with their own diopter settings done correctly as well as zeroed/collimated using the RH25 screen margin adjustments.

The 4x performance was pretty good actually. I would even say that 4x was better than any of the acogs I’ve paired with the RH25. It’s just the 1x that left more to be desired. Which is crazy because the Elcan 1x during normal use is incredibly nice.

I really think that the RH25 is optimized for lpvo use, and everything from 1.5-3x is beautiful on the half dozen LPVOs I’ve used with it. Even 3x magnifiers work pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By French1966:

@RRAR15

I'm really sorry that I don't have a photo to back up my statement, but I had two elcan 1/4x in use with the RH25 and was slightly disappointed

The Elcan itself is one of my all time favorite optics and I thought it would be incredible with the RH25

What I found is that the 1x on the Elcan is so true that you get a lot of the RH25 black border around the screen on 1x, and just an overall odd viewing experience due to some unique exit pupil size of the Elcan 1x prism. Or it's some other reason the 1x prism doesn't work incredibly well with the RH25 that I just can't explain.

In fact my 2 Elcans weren't super consistent with eachother in terms of how the 1x image appeared. One was better than the other with the RH25. They were all properly set up with their own diopter settings done correctly as well as zeroed/collimated using the RH25 screen margin adjustments.

The 4x performance was pretty good actually. I would even say that 4x was better than any of the acogs I've paired with the RH25. It's just the 1x that left more to be desired. Which is crazy because the Elcan 1x during normal use is incredibly nice.

I really think that the RH25 is optimized for lpvo use, and everything from 1.5-3x is beautiful on the half dozen LPVOs I've used with it. Even 3x magnifiers work pretty well.
View Quote
I have the same thoughts. The RH25 looks much better through an LPVO, even thouse claimed to have "true 1x" becasue it brings the image of the thermal back to the ocular lense. The Elcan is so truly 1x that the thermal just feels small and far away, closer to how it looks throug ha red dot. But on 4x its not bad. I prefered it in fromt of my Primary Arms PLXc 1-8 by far though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gastone165:
This part just became available. It modifies the Mod Armory Bridge and seems to fix the eye relief and pupillary eye distance issues.

https://darknightoutdoors.com/iray-rico-mini-rh-25-rl-25-pvs-14-bridge-adapter-for-mod-armory-pre-order-deposit/
View Quote
I see this went from machined delrin spec to what appears to be 3d printed PA-CF of some kind. I designed my own version and had some issues with carbon fiber nylon cracking at the thin walls where the nut is housed when the screws were tightened down enough to have good resistance in the dovetails. PLA worked OK but wouldn't be a good choice long term. TPU also worked surprising well with some  internal structural support I was testing. I'm having my version machined for 7075 aluminum and anodized, and the cost was still less expensive than this one from darknight. The profit margin on that part, if 3d printed (I can see what appears to be layer lines in the photos) is insane. With my expensive bambu PAHT-CF filament ($100 per 1kg) that was still only like a $3 print.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#46]
The Easter Bunny brought some good news:
progress on my rail was delayed recently because the previous design would position the RH25 further away from your eye when helmet mounting.
The new design solves that issue while still allowing all the previous weapon mounting solutions (Wilcox FTS and Picatinny QD).
As you can see in the attached photos, the RH25 is now perfectly aligned with a PVS-14 in a Noisefighters Panobridge and also in a KVC/RQE bridge when using the KVC Obverse Shoe Set.
We will start production of this version in the next few weeks. I'll keep you updated along the way.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#47]
FYI for those of you who have a RH25 or PF640 and are dissatisfied with either of the OEM eye cups/eye guards here is a solution.  The Flir Breach and Scion use a PVS-14 style eye cup and it is a perfect fit for the RH25 whereas the PVS-14 eye cup is not.  I wanted not only a different style of eye cup but wanted a couple of spares so I could actually trim off part of the eye cup to make a padded buffer against my glasses.  IrayUSA does not supply replacement eye guards unless its a warranty issue and Flir does not provide any information on replacement eye cups.  Global Test Supply handles replacement eye cups for the Flirs.  Part number 70Y-01-F020 Breach/Scion 35x55mm Bellowed Eye Cup $11.99.  Breach/Scion Eye Cup
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#48]
progress on my rail was delayed recently because the previous design would position the RH25 further away from your eye when helmet mounting.
The new design solves that issue while still allowing all the previous weapon mounting solutions (Wilcox FTS and Picatinny QD).
As you can see in the attached photos, the RH25 is now perfectly aligned with a PVS-14 in a Noisefighters Panobridge and also in a KVC/RQE bridge when using the KVC Obverse Shoe Set.
We will start production of this version in the next few weeks. I'll keep you updated along the way.
https://i.imgur.com/rHdyJAX.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/8YlzUpz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/YVJnetd.jpeg
View Quote
This is exactly what I wanted! No reason they were all still set back so far. Love it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#49]
https://i.imgur.com/rHdyJAX.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/8YlzUpz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/YVJnetd.jpeg
View Quote
This was the update it needed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:45:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Walrus] [#50]
https://www.unitytactical.com/product/ctm/

Interesting product. Probably no way to make it work with an RH25, eh?

The Wilcox FTS mounts are unobtainium lately.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top