Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stanprophet09: They are talking about the emerging offerings from Holosun and some american companies that being new Diode tech at less than half the price of a Raid X and NGAL.
View Quote

Ah, thank you, I misread it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't checked this forum out for a while, but I was in the original Somogear thread. I just wanted to share my findings after all this time with two of the PEQ-15s, one prior to and one after they slightly opened up the illuminator circle. I don't intend to shit on the thread or anything like that.

Both have more-or-less disintegrated. It was probably the Aero AR-10 that killed them, but wow did they really fail. The shell failed, the mount failed, and the little spring deals that hold the lasers/optics in place cracked in multiple places. What I mean by failed is more-or-less catastrophic cracking leaving the parts barely hanging on. I was pretty shocked honestly by how bad it was. I wasn't rough with them at all and they weren't exposed to any extreme conditions. It was just recoil that got 'em.

I don't really regret buying them as I learned a lesson fairly cheap, but I don't think I'd get any of these airsoft lasers again to put on a real gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just out of curiosity how old were your units? How many rounds of 7.62 did you subject them to?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ashiha] [#4]
Originally Posted By Gypsyman:
Just out of curiosity how old were your units? How many rounds of 7.62 did you subject them to?
View Quote

Units were a couple months old at the time. They failed after a couple night shoots. Was maybe 200-500 rounds each. Some suppressed, some with just muzzle brake.

ETA: I didn't notice them fail during the shoots, but I wasn't really relying on them being accurate at the time. It wasn't until I got home and went to put them away that I noticed something was off and took a closer look at both.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ashiha:

Units were a couple months old at the time. They failed after a couple night shoots. Was maybe 200-500 rounds each. Some suppressed, some with just muzzle brake.

ETA: I didn't notice them fail during the shoots, but I wasn't really relying on them being accurate at the time. It wasn't until I got home and went to put them away that I noticed something was off and took a closer look at both.
View Quote

Interesting. Did the serial numbers start with a 7 or an 8? Just trying to see if they were the latest generation or the generation just before the latest updates.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Interesting. Did the serial numbers start with a 7 or an 8? Just trying to see if they were the latest generation or the generation just before the latest updates.
View Quote

71XXXX and 72XXXX
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]

71XXXX and 72XXXX
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't really regret buying them as I learned a lesson fairly cheap, but I don't think I'd get any of these airsoft lasers again to put on a real gun.
View Quote

Sort of how they weren't really intended for real firearms, but eventually had to put up a statement/disclaimer on their site probably because of a lot of users breaking their units.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#9]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
18 Dec info

Got my SOMO NGALike on Thursday and tossed it on a 10mm DI AR15 upper I was planning to put a few mags through to do some function testing.

Playing around in the backyard comparing it to my two SOMO-15s had me stoked, as the laser was just as powerful, but the illuminator was cleaner with a more defined border. It won't shrink down to the level the SOMO-15's illuminator can, which is basically a second laser, but I like the ease of adjustment and cleaner illuminator overall.

I have a T2 on the 10mm DI upper zeroed at 25yds and I did a quick converging zero at 25yds with the visible laser.

Unfortunately, the vis laser was bouncing around. After the 60rds fired it had moved up and right, then left, then eventually started coming down and left. I did the double tap constant on and watched the green vis laser move around the red dot at 25yds as I kept firing.

Not sure if it'll be an issue on a 5.56 rifle, but I really want it to work as the laser and illuminator are cleaner than my SOMO-15s and the illuminator adjustment is much nicer.

UPDATE 2 Jan

Got the NGAL back out yesterday, this time mounted on a Mk 12 Mod H upper. I did a converging zero with the scope at 100yds and it maintained that same zero after 50+ rds of .223

Not sure if the 10mm recoil was just too much, or if the NGAL just needed a little more fiddling to get the adjusters to settle in, but I had no issues. Planning to leave it on this rifle for a bit to up the round count and see how it does.
View Quote

Giving another update on my DI AR 10mm experience with the SOMO NGALike.

As noted in the 2 Jan update, I had no issues with the unit on my Mod H after having issues on the 10mm upper. I had chalked the wandering viz laser while mounted on the 10mm upper to the adjusters needing some more movement to settle in.

Well, I took the 10mm out of the safe the other day and lo and behold, the rail was loose. I added some blue loctite to the screws and all is right again in DI 10mm upper land again.

I'm betting this was the cause of the wandering viz laser vice any issue with the NGALike adjusters.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My InvisibleSight Mk4 just shipped today. Should be here by end of week. I'll update with pictures and thoughts when it does.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
My InvisibleSight Mk4 just shipped today. Should be here by end of week. I'll update with pictures and thoughts when it does.
View Quote

Looking forward to that. Based on what I've read so far I'm not sure I would feel safe sending money to him, but I'm interested to see what he delivers. I would grab a Somo if they were at least rain proof.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Looking forward to the review, especially to see if he fixed the blooming/artifacting on the illuminator that I've seen on every mk3 so far.
Looks like he finally updated his website to list the mk4 model too although I don't see a summary of changes
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuy01] [#13]

Here it is next to my ATPIAL-C with VWS medium-range focuser for scale. It came with FMA stickers, which I was amused by but they look the part I suppose.

The neutral density filters kind of work, so I'll replace those with real ones at some point, and it's missing the remote plug cap so I'll order one of those at some point too.
The illuminator and lasers are both very clean, no splash or spill, and no leaks as reported from a Mk3 owner.

Here's the illuminator tightened down out to 300m on "IH" (illuminator only, high) - I apologize for the picture, but I was taking it with my phone through my Omni 5 10160B tubes and an amber filter. It gets the point across:

The illuminator is crisp around the edges and doesn't have any artifacts. I'm very, VERY happy with the illuminator on "DL" (dual low) since I don't think I'll be bumping this to full power any time soon. It is certainly not eye safe.

Detents are all crisp, mode selector moves easily but not so much so it'll get bumped on its own. Adjustment is distinct and each click is fairly firm (at least about as much so as my ATPIAL-C).

I'm very happy with the look and performance - but I ordered on 1FEB23 and received it on 7FEB24... So, if I wanted another one I'd probably wait and buy a ZBolt ACAL instead with US warranty support and supporting a US company. The ACAL didn't seem like an option when I bought this, so I went with this one.

Also I bought it with a green laser, which I like - the lasers appear to be well coaligned, I'm going to mount it on my 10.3 SBR and ring it out over the course of the next few months.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#14]
https://i.imgur.com/zc7NRBFl.jpeg

Here it is next to my ATPIAL-C with VWS medium-range focuser for scale. It came with FMA stickers, which I was amused by but they look the part I suppose.

The neutral density filters kind of work, so I'll replace those with real ones at some point, and it's missing the remote plug cap so I'll order one of those at some point too.
The illuminator and lasers are both very clean, no splash or spill, and no leaks as reported from a Mk3 owner.

Here's the illuminator tightened down out to 300m on "IH" (illuminator only, high) - I apologize for the picture, but I was taking it with my phone through my Omni 5 10160B tubes and an amber filter. It gets the point across:
https://i.imgur.com/vSqIEnAl.jpeg

The illuminator is crisp around the edges and doesn't have any artifacts. I'm very, VERY happy with the illuminator on "DL" (dual low) since I don't think I'll be bumping this to full power any time soon. It is certainly not eye safe.

Detents are all crisp, mode selector moves easily but not so much so it'll get bumped on its own. Adjustment is distinct and each click is fairly firm (at least about as much so as my ATPIAL-C).

I'm very happy with the look and performance - but I ordered on 1FEB23 and received it on 7FEB24... So, if I wanted another one I'd probably wait and buy a ZBolt ACAL instead with US warranty support and supporting a US company. The ACAL didn't seem like an option when I bought this, so I went with this one.

Also I bought it with a green laser, which I like - the lasers appear to be well coaligned, I'm going to mount it on my 10.3 SBR and ring it out over the course of the next few months.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Turok:
Paragon armory has had “sold out” on the NGAL and PEQ15 for some time now. I wonder if they are getting out of the Somo game?
View Quote

I’ve emailed them and have yet to get a response. Doesn’t seem very promising.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Chinese holidays maybe? Below is from the Somogear website.

Holiday Notice
The holiday start from January 27th and resume work on February 18th.
During this period, all products will cease sales and resume on February 15th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Chinese holidays maybe? Below is from the Somogear website.

Holiday Notice
The holiday start from January 27th and resume work on February 18th.
During this period, all products will cease sales and resume on February 15th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
View Quote

Paragon Armory is in California.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve ordered from them so I understand that. If the factory is closed then Paragon can’t get inventory. Was just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Just live fired with the Somo NGAL - it was a new barrel break in, then gas adjustment and zeroing with high dollar .300BLK defensive ammo, so only about 50 rounds of Subsonic at 20yds. Viz Green never cut out under recoil, and the LASER never drifted from the tip of the PA Chevron. Looks like I got one made Tues-Thur.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Playing airsoft in the rain. SG NGAL is vis laser on all settings and fire button gets stuck in on position.

FML
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
Playing airsoft in the rain. SG NGAL is vis laser on all settings and fire button gets stuck in on position.

FML
View Quote

You just can't operate in the rain that's all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#22]
Took my NGALike to a night match atop my Mk 12 Mod H a few hours ago.

It worked great. Too great, in fact. Most rifle targets were 4-8” diamonds at ~50yds and even running it in laser low mode, sans illuminator, it was just too strong and killed the ability to see the target. Buddies I was shooting with we’re running FP PEQ-15s and they eventually went to neutral density filtered low power laser and an M300V/M600V SF illuminator to give them some ambient IR light and the lowest aiming point they could achieve.

I showed up prepared to shoot IR to 100yds and beyond, but the match was 5-50yds with steel rifle plates the size of a child’s face, haha. Should have just brought my Gordy clone, slapped an M600V on the HG weaver rail, and shot passive. Oh well. Still better than a day at work.

Since the NGALike, just like the SOMO-15, comes with what is essentially lens covers instead of neutral density filters, where do I get the OEM ND filters? TNVC shows them OOS but able to be backordered. I have the OEM ND filters on my SOMO-15s, so it’s time to (be able to) tame the NGALike beast.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#23]

It worked great. Too great, in fact. Most rifle targets were 4-8" diamonds at ~50yds and even running it in laser low mode, sans illuminator, it was just too strong and killed the ability to see the target. Buddies I was shooting with we're running FP PEQ-15s and they eventually went to neutral density filtered low power laser and an M300V/M600V SF illuminator to give them some ambient IR light and the lowest aiming point they could achieve.

I showed up prepared to shoot IR to 100yds and beyond, but the match was 5-50yds with steel rifle plates the size of a child's face, haha. Should have just brought my Gordy clone, slapped an M600V on the HG weaver rail, and shot passive. Oh well. Still better than a day at work.

Since the NGALike, just like the SOMO-15, comes with what is essentially lens covers instead of neutral density filters, where do I get the OEM ND filters? TNVC shows them OOS but able to be backordered. I have the OEM ND filters on my SOMO-15s, so it's time to (be able to) tame the NGALike beast.
View Quote
I think you can find the filters on eBay. I know you could for the somo peq, not sure about the NGAL.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:28:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#24]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
Now, when they say 'not waterproof', what do the really mean? Has anyone found out?
View Quote

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

Had mine out in the rain for about an hour (estimated total time exposed). It is currently only visible laser on all modes and the fire button sometimes gets stuck on. Hoping I didn't already damage something internally, but I'm trying to let it dry out before troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#25]

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

Had mine out in the rain for about an hour (estimated total time exposed). It is currently only visible laser on all modes and the fire button sometimes gets stuck on. Hoping I didn't already damage something internally, but I'm trying to let it dry out before troubleshooting.
View Quote

Thank you. Good luck. Maybe Somo will decide on a waterproofing upcharge someday.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Thank you. Good luck. Maybe Somo will decide on a waterproofing upcharge someday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

I would have thought the potting material would provide a level of water proofing or resistance….
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
I think you can find the filters on eBay. I know you could for the somo peq, not sure about the NGAL.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:

It worked great. Too great, in fact. Most rifle targets were 4-8" diamonds at ~50yds and even running it in laser low mode, sans illuminator, it was just too strong and killed the ability to see the target. Buddies I was shooting with we're running FP PEQ-15s and they eventually went to neutral density filtered low power laser and an M300V/M600V SF illuminator to give them some ambient IR light and the lowest aiming point they could achieve.

I showed up prepared to shoot IR to 100yds and beyond, but the match was 5-50yds with steel rifle plates the size of a child's face, haha. Should have just brought my Gordy clone, slapped an M600V on the HG weaver rail, and shot passive. Oh well. Still better than a day at work.

Since the NGALike, just like the SOMO-15, comes with what is essentially lens covers instead of neutral density filters, where do I get the OEM ND filters? TNVC shows them OOS but able to be backordered. I have the OEM ND filters on my SOMO-15s, so it's time to (be able to) tame the NGALike beast.

No joy on the NGAL filters on Ebay
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:57:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gypsyman] [#28]

I would have thought the potting material would provide a level of water proofing or resistance….
View Quote

And the fact that they are glued shut. Maybe the switches and adjustment knobs are water entry points?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#29]

View Quote

Shouldn't need to charge more. The product should have some water resistance knowing their target audience does activities outside, possibly in the rain.

Edit: spelling
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#30]

And the fact that they are glued shut. Maybe the switches and adjustment knobs are water entry points?
View All Quotes

Unsure of the internals and circuitry, but I'm thinking a physical component like the switches or plug port got wet. Since it's only function is visible laser, I'm thinking the external switch port is malfunctioning and causing it act in vis-override mode.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Shouldn't need to charge more. The product should have some water resistance knowing they're target audience does activities outside, possibly in the rain.
View Quote

I certainly don't disagree, but from what I've seen people do to waterproof their own units, it would take more targeted attention around the mechanical switches and adjustment screws, without gluing them stuck. Maybe it would even take a higher grade of switch/screw itself. Don't know. It'd certainly be easier to do it prior to making me crack it open, and I'd tolerate another $50 or c-note for the trouble.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Unsure of the internals and circuitry, but I'm thinking a physical component like the switches or plug port got wet. Since it's only function is visible laser, I'm thinking the external switch port is malfunctioning and causing it act in vis-override mode.
View Quote

I’m curious to see if things return to normal when the unit dries out. If not it could just been a straight up parts failure.

I’d like to find a cheap failed unit to tear apart and really delve into the switches and adjustment knobs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Since the NGALike, just like the SOMO-15, comes with what is essentially lens covers instead of neutral density filters, where do I get the OEM ND filters? TNVC shows them OOS but able to be backordered. I have the OEM ND filters on my SOMO-15s, so it’s time to (be able to) tame the NGALike beast.
View Quote

I want those ND filters too - if you find an in-stock source, DM me please. I wonder how long a TNVC backorder is?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

I want those ND filters too - if you find an in-stock source, DM me please. I wonder how long a TNVC backorder is?  
View Quote

7 months lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#35]

I’m curious to see if things return to normal when the unit dries out. If not it could just been a straight up parts failure.
View Quote

Whatever moisture was in there dried up and it seems to be working somewhat normal. Not sure if it did this before, but there's a 1 second dim flash of visible laser after deactivating the visible laser.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#36]

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/039/563/8675309.jpg

Whatever moisture was in there dried up and it seems to be working somewhat normal. Not sure if it did this before, but there's a 1 second dim flash of visible laser after deactivating the visible laser.
View Quote

I’m glad to hear that it’s functioning again but bummed at the same time. I knew that they weren’t waterproof but I was hoping they would at least be water resistant.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#37]
The Somogear NGAL Pushes On…
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#38]
For the Peq-15 Somogear states ”Co-aligned VIS & IR aiming lasers (at 30 meters distance they are less than 10cm apart)”. If they are using the same laser unit for the NGAL that seems about right in line with what they claim.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By erwos:

I think the Somo PEQs will still have a place, but I think the IRIS pricing is going to make a lot of people who would shell out for the Somo NGAL think twice.

IS is basically screwed unless Holosun really has a giant miss on the IRIS illuminator.
View Quote
From what I have seen to date, The IRIS is set to be a home run for Holosun as long as they stick to the price they touted at Shot Show. The civ version is putting out some serious performance. I plan to pick a few up and if they work as well as they appear to, they will outright replace my present setups.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
From what I have seen to date, The IRIS is set to be a home run for Holosun as long as they stick to the price they touted at Shot Show. The civ version is putting out some serious performance. I plan to pick a few up and if they work as well as they appear to, they will outright replace my present setups.
View Quote

Holosun has a good reputation regarding their current IR laser offerrings.  I've seen dozens of reviews from various seemingly disconnected reviewers who's opinions haven't let me down in the past praising Holosun's current IR lasers.  So, if the IRIS maintains that record of excellence we should have a real solid option.  At that point, I have to say I wouldn't hestiate to spend $300 or even $400 more on the Holosun.  Either the Somogear would need to improve in QC and general build (waterproof and so forth) or come down in price to remain competitive.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Very nice!
Do you have a picture of the illuminator at its widest setting?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]
The NGAL and PEQ replicas will still sell because of service rifle clones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jcoll84:
Very nice!
View All Quotes
Very nice!

Who's that addressed to?

The NGAL and PEQ replicas will still sell because of service rifle clones.

Yep - and someone may want the form factor of the NGAL over the IRIS, plus the IS NGAL's output is, frankly, astonishingly high.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Saw an Instagram post on the SOMOGEAR yesterday that apparently had some power ratings that were taken for it and essentially the conclusion by the poster was that even in low power mode the power was still off charts and not at all safe for force on force drills.  That's an allegation that is kind of concerning given that they're marketed as for airsoft use and I'm guessing there are guys running them at airsoft events.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#45]
yep - not even close.

Same for my InvisibleSight - I can't measure it but I can tell it is definitely not eye safe.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#46]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Saw an Instagram post on the SOMOGEAR yesterday that apparently had some power ratings that were taken for it and essentially the conclusion by the poster was that even in low power mode the power was still off charts and not at all safe for force on force drills.  That's an allegation that is kind of concerning given that they're marketed as for airsoft use and I'm guessing there are guys running them at airsoft events.  

View Quote

BREAKING NEWS! JK.

It was never considered eye safe. It's a replica product made in Hong Kong that is highly unregulated. The spec ratings listed on their website were copied to make their product look legit. Airsofters use them because the devices are cheap and easier to obtain than the real ones. Airsofters that play with night vision are (hopefully) a little more responsible to where they point their IR devices.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#47]
God forbid we play 'Big Boy Rules' and let Darwin decide. Somebody call Pelosi - we need more lawzzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#48]
When did you order yours?  I placed an order in November, supposed to ship in January.  I haven't heard anything yet.  Emails haven't been responded to.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SGTCap:
When did you order yours?  I placed an order in November, supposed to ship in January.  I haven't heard anything yet.  Emails haven't been responded to.
View Quote

IS or SG?

If SG, who did you order it through?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Who's that addressed to?
View All Quotes
Very nice!

Who's that addressed to?

You, sorry. Didn't realize that hitting "reply" under the post didn't actually tag the post
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top