User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Maim] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MSOGDAWG:
@Shotinthedark7

Do you order straight from SOTAC or is there someone in the US that sells product for them?
View Quote
I've ordered several from Paragon Armory

https://paragonarmory.com/products/somogear-peq-15-uhp-ir-laser-ir-illuminator

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:41:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MSOGDAWG] [#2]
Originally Posted By Mr_Maim:
I've ordered several from Paragon Armory

https://paragonarmory.com/products/somogear-peq-15-uhp-ir-laser-ir-illuminator

View Quote

Yes Sir thats where I got my SOMOs too. OP had mentioned getting a SOTAC. I looked them up and didnt find anyone stocking them in the US. Just their site overseas.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Shotinthedark7:
Gentlemen ....

See my latest as of this morning ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D353GQF3G_4

My first PEQ clone with all mods completed and fully torture tested has failed to supply power from
board to either IR Illuminator and both laser modules...

Obviously these are both not going to fail  so it's a power distribution issue from board
The connections at the plugs at board are fully potted and not loose

I may get the ambition to open it yet again to get a full prognosis  or shall I say
coroner report ......  

But my conclusion is this :

These are NOT worth the $ nor the effort at this point ,,,,this just changed everything ...

Get a Sotac or SMS XK68    they just flat out work ....with no need for all this effort

Buy a Sotac and an Inforce IR and be done ....
View Quote

Have you bought a Sotac NGAL or MAWL yet? I'm curious about those and may try them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully there is some good news at SHOT Show 2024.  ZBolt is going to display and announce the 2024 release of their ACAL, which is a VCSEL and I'm hoping will be at a price not far above a D2.  It would still be nice to see sub $1K IR lase aiming modules, but man all this work to get a unit up to par is just a lot of time and effort that in the end costs you in its own way.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By chosos:

any info on how large the ACAL will be? most of the zbolt stuff I've seen is great, but huge.
View Quote
Pretty short on the rail, but with a big tumor for the illuminator like the D2 has.  Also the laser is centered over the rail which is a bit annoying for iron sight integration.

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#7]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Pretty short on the rail, but with a big tumor for the illuminator like the D2 has.  Also the laser is centered over the rail which is a bit annoying for iron sight integration.

https://www.z-bolt.com/assets/images/ACAL-4-BLACK-2024-WHITE-NO-LOGO.png
View Quote

I'm interested in this.  Happy with zbolts lep performance

Edit: nvm, not at $1500 I'm not. I was expecting closer to 1k.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

I'm interested in this.  Happy with zbolts lep performance

Edit: nvm, not at $1500 I'm not. I was expecting closer to 1k.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/Screenshot_20231205_120323_Chrome_jpg-3050166.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/Screenshot_20231205_120715_Chrome_jpg-3050167.JPG
View Quote
Ouch!
At that price you're better off getting a Laserspeed M3.
Spend the rest on ammo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Eh, $1.5k is not a bad price for this, depending on bulk and output.

I'd rather not buy Chinesium if I can get a quality US-made option, which this is.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#10]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
Eh, $1.5k is not a bad price for this, depending on bulk and output.

I'd rather not buy Chinesium if I can get a quality US-made option, which this is.
View Quote

Well it's an unknown.  I like the performance of their lep but it's easy to find guys that have have broken them.

Idk that I feel that confident on beta testing a LAM that isn't proven for 1500.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#11]
Honestly, I think $1,500 is a good price for the ACAL.  It's going to be the lowest priced U.S. made VCSEL on the market and I actually like that the laser is centered over the bore, because I don't use Iron Sights anymore anyways. The final design might be a bit different too, we'll probably see the final or close to final anyways version at SHOT 2024.

I mean, yeah, I'd prefer to spend more around $500 for a multi-function IR laser and it continues to baffle me how a PS5 can cost less money considering the electronics contained in a PS5 vs. an IR laser. Still, give the market I'm happy just to get something that's not over $3K.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Tactical Grandpa, I checked your YouTube and the videos all seem to be gone. Any chance you will be back?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:53:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#13]
Originally Posted By irons04:
Tactical Grandpa, I checked your YouTube and the videos all seem to be gone. Any chance you will be back?
View Quote

He spent alot of time modding that somogear I don't blame him for washing his hands of it.

Haven't seen too many issues with the diodes themselves though. Only a matter of time before someone harvests the diodes and builds one from scratch with a 3d printed housing. Just look at the dudes selling files to 3d print bnvd housings for 5$. All you have to do is send the files to an industrial printer and you have a nylon resin industrial printed bnvd housing for $100.

I want that with lams now using somo diodes. Hell the designateIR is a 2k device sold by usnv and arisaka that is 3d printed in a garage.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Shotinthedark7:
I have done extensive work on overcoming all the weaknesses and erroneous engineering and manufacturing issues associated with these clones
to create an actual tough as nails , dependable , zero holding LAM....

The lasers are full power...so if you are willing to do some work and use your brain
I'll walk you through it on the cheap
Just takes the effort ....are you ready ??

Watch all my videos on YT ....I post daily to help you with  LAMS , NV , Tripods and generally a proper set up for your needs..
Enjoy ...
https://youtu.be/GVuRAf2EQ0M?si=ZP6TYBr6oHIo5uoe

Any questions  ?/ I'm here for ya guys  
Fire away !
I have tested and put these things through the gauntlet ..

They are NOT worthy until you do my mods....forget it!!!  you wanna see the guts and the true issues ??
watch my videos
View Quote

What happened to the videos? I was going to do your upgrades in the next few weeks and wanted to watch them again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I just went through my YouTube subscriptions and history trying to find his videos.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TBone556:
I just went through my YouTube subscriptions and history trying to find his videos.
View Quote

If you find them please share. I went looking and was unsuccessful.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The videos were deleted a few weeks ago.

OP is still posting on the site but something made him drop this topic without explanation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Well this was quite the journey.  Possibly a solution looking for a problem.  We all know they are not as robust as the domestic, but also they don't cost anywhere near as much.  I think for 90% of the guys here they will work just fine.  I've had 4 of them of the past 2years+ and yes, they've had issues, but have been constantly improved.  And while not perfect, they do work for "normal" use.  

While we appreciate someone's efforts in trying to perfect these things, throwing your hands up and saying fuckkit, they're POS when all your fiddling didn't work, is an incorrect conclusion, IMHO.  With all their faults they are still a viable tool for training and so forth.  

Also making a blanket statement that the NGAL is probably just as bad is a supposition, not a fact.  I have found the NGAL is much superior to the PEQ, so I think components have been improved.  It may not be perfect but it is a huge leap forward.  I am happy with incremental improvements, but you do you.  

While I applaud OP for taking a flying fuck at the problem, I do not agree with his conclusions.  

At this point, I would just use my PEQ-15's until if/when they crap out, then I am switching over to NGAL's.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top