BCM
User Panel

New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 2 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Young_Un:

Where are you seeing this? From a top down photo I saw, there's a blue screw visible on the IRIS....looks like a normal physical switch to me unless you've seen different.
Scratch that, found it

ETA:
Also in the third picture on this post, you can see a dual switch for the IRIS and their new 80k candela scout light
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, it looks tiny, which is good. I like the looks of what I imagine is the focus slider up top. I'm curious to hear about how that works and feels.  

2024 is going to be a great year for Night Vision bros.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I missed it, what kind of switching does it have?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Whiplash_83:
View Quote
Looks like on the back where the battery goes is some sort of rotating switch. Curious they haven't show a picture of the back yet. Maybe it's not finalized?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#5]
Originally Posted By Whiplash_83:
View Quote

Crane, like their other ones.

There is a mode select button, and a switch on the back for hi/lo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the difference between this and the ls321?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
What is the difference between this and the ls321?
View Quote

VCSEL
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#8]
Nvm
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'm the only one hoping these won't cost much more than their current offerings,  which would eventually be phased out.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
If they deliver on the current scuttlebutt, this is a new paradigm in performance per dollar spent. And I won't shed one tear for L3 or BE Meyers. They've priced their stuff...generously, and that's being polite. What they charge for an atpial-c is shameful.
View Quote

L3Harris and BE Meyers company strategy are not civil sales.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#11]
Originally Posted By deadbeef:

L3Harris and BE Meyers company strategy are not civil sales.
View Quote
And as such, I'm not going to reward them for giving us a few crumbs at full freight cost. Don't charge me A Lange Sohne prices for a Timex. It just smacks of arrogance.

Like I said, I'm not inclined towards Holosun in a vacuum. In this case I wish them well and will actively root for the success of this product.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:30:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#12]
Originally Posted By erwos:
In terms of differences that I can see from Holosun's abbreviated description of the IRIS:
1. ACAL has a VO port, IRIS does not have that capability.
2. ACAL has a physical switch mode selector; the IRIS has some sort of button and an "intensity selector switch".
3. ACAL is a chonker and does not look ambi-friendly; IRIS looks somewhat svelte.
4. ACAL has the lasers inline with the bore; IRIS is offset.

I see where the ACAL has some advantages here; I just don't know that in-line lasers and a better mode selector are worth $500 to me.

I mean, if the distributors stop being able to sell them because the IRIS is by far the better deal, they'll have to do something. Doubly so if Holosun starts moving up market and offers a $1500 Iris+ that fills in some more blanks (high-candela WL, 18650 support, integrated RMR/Micro mount, etc.).
View Quote

Personally, I don't want any of that.  I want a small unit that offers good IR illuminator performance, a visible and IR pointer and the ability to control its features with a "good" user interface.  Lastly, I want a good price point.  The current market offerings are priced absurdly.  I don't give a shit about government contract pedigree when it comes to civilian use.

As it stands, the IRIS seems to offer all of that in a svelte package.  It's 6.5 ounces which is almost half the weight of my MAWL's.

I want a separate white light as I don't want all of that contained in one unit.  I don't want an 18650 battery as that makes the unit larger.  The optic mount?  Nope, no thanks.

At a supposed less than 1k price point, I can afford to outfit more NV capable guns.  As it stands, i've got five NV capable guns with more guns that i'd like to outfit but I refuse to spend the current asking price for high end MFAL units beyond what i've already bought.

I think that IF this unit is 1k or less and it actually performs, it will fundamentally change the commercial NV market.  The only people that will buy a RAID or a MAWL will be the people that want to flex on the poors.  There's plenty of those people in the NV space so more power to them.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks good to me. I need to upgrade all my stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, I was excited about the ACAL, and don't get me wrong, I still am, but I'm truly hyped for this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:56:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#15]
Was doing some research on LASER diodes - VCSEL is cheaper than Edge Emitting (EEL), so it makes sense the price would be good. I'd still like to see how many VCSEL IR diodes are in this Holosun, as they have to abide by 0.7mW FDA limit. The MAWL C1+ has 7 of them for its illuminator. One of the benefits of VCSEL, is they can be made into arrays very easily. That Illuminator pic does nothing for me - My LS321 looks like that when it's close and dark. I keep looking, but I'm not finding anything that says a single 0.7mW VCSEL, is brighter than a single 0.7mW EEL. Somebody ask HS Josh to put up a pic at 100, under full moon.

VCSEL needs an array to have a great C1+ "like" illuminator - but I would love to be corrected. And yes I am a potential buyer, LOL
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Was doing some research on LASER diodes - VCSEL is cheaper than Edge Emitting (EEL), so it makes sense the price would be good. I'd still like to see how many VCSEL IR diodes are in this Holosun, as they have to abide by 0.7mW FDA limit. The MAWL C1+ has 7 of them for its illuminator. One of the benefits of VCSEL, is they can be made into arrays very easily. That Illuminator pic does nothing for me - My LS321 looks like that when it's close and dark. I keep looking, but I'm not finding anything that says a single 0.7mW VCSEL, is brighter than a single 0.7mW EEL. Somebody ask HS Josh to put up a pic at 100, under full moon.

VCSEL needs an array to have a great C1+ "like" illuminator - but I would love to be corrected. And yes I am a potential buyer, LOL
View Quote

So the thing is that the max power output is not hard limited to 0.7mw, but that the amount of energy in any given spot along the beam can't exceed some amount of energy per square inch.

Traditional lasers over 0.7 have been diffused. This is why you see the ATPIAL-C have a non adjustable illuminator, the IR only DBAL I2 have an adjustable illuminator that adjusts beam power and other lasers like the Holosun with hard limits on how tight you can make the illuminator beam. As long as at any point in the beam, including half an inch from the laser to your eyeball, the amount of power is less per square inch than the 0.7mw

VCSEL seems easier to shape reliabily with a cleaner beam than traditional edge emitting, which is why we see civilian lasers with much higher powers. You don't get that dirty beam like the traditional PEQ illuminators with hotter and softer spots as much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I think this looks super cool, but when I clicked the link I saw they have a pistol optic that has a 640 thermal overlay? Holy shit if so that would be absolutely amazing!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#18]
Good info on the power measurements, thx. Here's the Designate IR-V specs - is it an array?

VCSEL Illuminator: Infrared
Output Power: > 130 mW Class 3R
Beam Divergence: 3 Degree
Wavelength: 850 nm
Range: > 300 m

Edit: After doing some more research on LASER mfg sites, I'd be amazed if all these companies *weren't* using arrays - so great for us, go Holosun. 'VCSEL Array' should be the term used

VCSEL
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

I think that IF this unit is 1k or less and it actually performs, it will fundamentally change the commercial NV market.  The only people that will buy a RAID or a MAWL will be the people that want to flex on the poors.  There's plenty of those people in the NV space so more power to them.

View Quote

I think it will change it some but, not much. Those companies care 99% about the government contracts and let the crumbs fall to civilians. It makes sense of course because the government contracts are where all the money is. As long as that government money is coming in they won't care that much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Holosun will get government money with their IRIS unit too. Plenty of government solicitations have been asking for Holosun optics. Mostly on the local and state level.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Holosun will get government money with their IRIS unit too. Plenty of government solicitations have been asking for Holosun optics. Mostly on the local and state level.
View Quote
Holosun also gets decent sized foreign government contracts too with their optics and magnifiers, see Estonia and Ukraine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
MSRP is in the media release:

The IRIS is an ultra compact, class IIIr visible green aiming device with a coaxial mounted class 2m IR laser and IR illuminator for use with night vision devices.
IRIS features an ergonomic slider to dial in the IR illuminator between flood and spot.
A new electronic selector switch toggles between visible, IR pointer, IR illuminator, or IR pointer & illiuminator with LED indicators for current mode.
IRIS is powered by a CR123 battery and is activated either from the top-mounted fire button or using the compatible, industry standard remote switch.

SPECS:
- 0.5 MOA Windage and Elevation Adjustment Per Click
- Travel Range   50 MOA
- 7075 T6 Aluminum Housing
- Weight: 6.35 oz
- Dimension: 3.2 x 1.97 x 1.34 in
- Battery: CR123A
- IPX8 Certified Waterproof

TECH & FEATURES:
- Mode Button w/LED Indicator
- Intensity Selector Switch
- Coaxial Laser Mechanism
- Quick Adjustable Focus IR Illuminator
- New Compact Housing Design
- IR Pointer and Illuminator with VCSEL laser

Price: $1058.81
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

View Quote

The work around is fixed minimum divergence e.g. 150mW for the KIJI but with 3 degrees divergence (NOHD ~ 1.7m, ED50 ~ 0.5m, add in VCF SZED toward the red end ~ 2.7m, CZED ~ 12m and LFZED ~ 120m).  

67mW and 2 degrees divergence C1+ (NOHD ~ 1.7m, ED50 ~ 0.5m, add in VCF SZED ~ 2.6m, CZED ~ 11.8m and LFZED ~ 118m).  

In other words Holosun will copy the minimum divergence from either the Kiji or C1+ and the power will be adjusted accordingly.  There are some mighty powerful single VCSEL IR diodes out there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxtrotTWONovember] [#24]
i might get one. better than my LS221g. wonder is SOMOGEAR is gonna have a rifle rated NGAL update lol would also like a FDE and ODG versions
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By swtc:
MSRP is in the media release:

The IRIS is an ultra compact, class IIIr visible green aiming device with a coaxial mounted class 2m IR laser and IR illuminator for use with night vision devices.
IRIS features an ergonomic slider to dial in the IR illuminator between flood and spot.
A new electronic selector switch toggles between visible, IR pointer, IR illuminator, or IR pointer & illiuminator with LED indicators for current mode.
IRIS is powered by a CR123 battery and is activated either from the top-mounted fire button or using the compatible, industry standard remote switch.

Price: $1058.81
View Quote

So I'd guess around ~$850 in store?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By little_grease:

So I'd guess around ~$850 in store?
View Quote

One store has it up for $900 so far, hopefully some resellers will have it in the $800-$850 range. At $900 I'm definitely in for one (at least).

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/holosun-iris-infrared-laser-illuminator.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, glad I held out on that Laserspeed unit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:46:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KC-ROUGHNECK] [#28]
Let's see some more video of this thing! I can't find the one DARQ posted anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Have they announced about when this will be available?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Have they announced about when this will be available?
View Quote

We will probably have more info in just a few days.  Shot is about to kick off in just a few hours. (well, media range day).
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Holosun IRIS = 6.35 OZ with a 7075 T6 Aluminium housing.

Does anyone know the weight of the ZBOLT ACAL and what material they're using for it?

I do wish that the IRIS was centered over the bore for the laser though instead of offset.  I like a simple "hold high" for my lasers.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#32]
Originally Posted By thefuzzywuzzy:

One store has it up for $900 so far, hopefully some resellers will have it in the $800-$850 range. At $900 I'm definitely in for one (at least).
View Quote

Oh wow, yeah, that's highly affordable.

I'd rather go with an American product, but at a $600 price difference to the ACAL I may have to actually go with the Holosun if it proves to have a good mount and hold up well.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Holosun IRIS = 6.35 OZ with a 7075 T6 Aluminium housing.

Does anyone know the weight of the ZBOLT ACAL and what material they're using for it?
View Quote
Z-Bolt websites states 8.5 oz with 6061 housing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Defaultmp3:
Z-Bolt websites states 8.5 oz with 6061 housing.
View Quote

Oh wow, so with the Holosun you get the stronger 7075 T6 and lighter weight at a price point perhaps $600 lower than the ZBolt.  

So, now it's a question of performance and QC.   Does the performance and QC of the ACAL justify the added cost and weight?   For the ACAL to be my pick the differences will have to be significant not just marginal.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rando_Calrissian] [#35]
I really wish Z-Bolt had brought the ACAL to market a year ago. They'd have sold a ton of units. This timing is rough, Holosun is going to eat their lunch. Glad I waited to see what was going to pop at Shot Show before I decided on a laser. It was looking like a DIRV, but now, Holosun would have to royally fuck this one up to not get my money.

I agree that the civilian market is an afterthought at best to most manufacturers of equipment like that, and the obvious reason is yes, they make all their money with government contracts. There's a factor that hasn't been touched on yet, and that's that it's illegal for government suppliers of contracted goods to sell to the civilian market cheaper than what they charge the government. Since they can just say "here's a handful of laser diodes in an aluminum box, that'll be five thousand dollars" and .gov doesn't even blink before handing over the cash, that's exactly what they do. There's no point putting the R&D into a dedicated civilian laser, they can just neuter the same units they produce all day long, with firmware as I understand it, and then divert a small fraction to the civilian market at "fuck you" prices. I spent the last decade working in production and manufacturing, and I get that L3, Wilcox et al are just doing what makes sense for them. It sucks for us, but I get it.

There's a huge chunk of the market that this thing is perfect for (again, IF), and from where I'm sitting, it's a smaller OGL for a little less than what Eotech first promised. Wasn't the OGL supposed to come out a year and a half ago for a hair over a thousand bucks? Yeah, they really fucked that one up. I personally think they've been waiting to see if the price of the MAWL gets bumped for 2024 so they can undercut it by a couple hundred bucks. I can see it getting bumped up to $3,500-3,750 or so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Eotech can honestly go pound sand at this point.

I hope their product implodes if their plan was to strategically price gouge the market.

Holosun and their new IRIS is not only proof that you can make a sub $1K VSCEL, but it’s a necessity moving forward at this point.

It’s the new standard, and honestly any chatter that tries to argue against that is a dead end to me. I anticipate that Streamlight will eventually deliver to us as well.

If Z-Bolt adjusts and pivots to $1.2-$1.3K I think they’ll do well too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Loonytik] [#37]
Originally Posted By ct78:
Eotech can honestly go pound sand at this point.

I hope their product implodes if their plan was to strategically price gouge the market.

Holosun and their new IRIS is not only proof that you can make a sub $1K VSCEL, but it’s a necessity moving forward at this point.

It’s the new standard, and honestly any chatter that tries to argue against that is a dead end to me. I anticipate that Streamlight will eventually deliver to us as well.

If Z-Bolt adjusts and pivots to $1.2-$1.3K I think they’ll do well too.
View Quote

Holosun is announcing a 80,000 candela weapon light also. Comes with a switch.

ETA: Rumored around $170
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Question.  Just because some online presence says it's coming, how do you know that they will be available?

Someone said they were for sale at $900 somewhere but when will they actually get inventory to ship?

While this all sounds great does anyone actually know for certain when they will have them available?

This could just be another disappointment.

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By carholio:
Question.  Just because some online presence says it's coming, how do you know that they will be available?

Someone said they were for sale at $900 somewhere but when will they actually get inventory to ship?

While this all sounds great does anyone actually know for certain when they will have them available?

This could just be another disappointment.

Thanks

View Quote

I think it depends on the company. I am not going to give much of my trust to say, DesertTech, Eotech, Modlite, or even Magpul sometimes.

But companies like Holosun, Primary Arms, or Trijicon I tend to have a peace of mind knowing we will get them within a fiscal quarter of when they promise to deliver.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Over on a reddit NV, a member who is media is at range day. Says Q2 is the best estimate for when these hit the market and that street price will be $800.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Buy at that price.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe Hop will get one early and test it out
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:20:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#43]
https://youtube.com/shorts/wnMB8x3Ir6A?si=2fpyu1ttXqoBaK_o

https://youtu.be/XMcz3wkBvpE?si=T4oMO4Gv_fg-Vj43
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#44]
https://youtube.com/shorts/wnMB8x3Ir6A?si=2fpyu1ttXqoBaK_o

https://youtu.be/XMcz3wkBvpE?si=T4oMO4Gv_fg-Vj43
View Quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/wnMB8x3Ir6A?si=2fpyu1ttXqoBaK_o (I guess can't embed shorts)

holosun Iris - full power illuminator, civ ir and vis laser for how much?!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

https://youtube.com/shorts/wnMB8x3Ir6A?si=2fpyu1ttXqoBaK_o (I guess can't embed shorts)
View Quote

this was confirmed to be the full power pre-production IRIS...however I'd think (hope) the illum will be similar to the civ version.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#46]

this was confirmed to be the full power pre-production IRIS...however I'd think (hope) the illum will be similar to the civ version.
View Quote
I can't imagine why they'd go thru the effort to produce a vcsel unit with meager illumination. Just keep the LS series humming along if that's the case.

Well see, maybe I'm being too optimistic. We were excited about the OGL and that's been a complete waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

No idea what exactly it was. Just trying to help another properly embed links and videos.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Over on a reddit NV, a member who is media is at range day. Says Q2 is the best estimate for when these hit the market and that street price will be $800.

https://i.ibb.co/xLTsyNQ/holosun-iris-photo-v0-rfvdwoxva2ec1-jpeg.webp
View Quote

shoot, $800?!?! that's really not crazy, all things considered. Pair that with the 80k candela light and you have do-all the things for under $1k.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:52:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#49]
Why would you pay $800 for a device that was made and part sourced in the PRC and ripped off US IP.  Its a real world $300 buck device and thats a 100% margin.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
Why would you pay $800 for a device that was made and part sourced in the PRC and ripped off US IP.  Its a real world $300 buck device and thats a 100% margin.
View Quote

because there's no american made equivalent in anywhere near the same price range?

why would you give buying foreign any shit if you live in Australia?
Page / 6
New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 2 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top