Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 3 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Has there been any talk about full power units for the IRIS that will be made available?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Darq has full power LS units for sale to civilians right now, so it's totally plausible Holosun made a device that is restricted.

I agree with MSRP still being high when compared to cost of parts but until I or someone else makes a VSCEL cheaper, how can we complain?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:45:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:

Form factor wise the Holosun is way more appealing also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:

Form factor wise the Holosun is way more appealing also.

I tend to agree, though the ACAL is not terrible. I do tend to prefer throw lever mounts over thumb screws, which the ACAL has as an option, but $500 extra smacks saved buys more ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

because there's no american made equivalent in anywhere near the same price range?

why would you give buying foreign any shit if you live in Australia?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
Why would you pay $800 for a device that was made and part sourced in the PRC and ripped off US IP.  Its a real world $300 buck device and thats a 100% margin.

because there's no american made equivalent in anywhere near the same price range?

why would you give buying foreign any shit if you live in Australia?
This
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
It's too early to say that the ACAL isn't worth the extra coin.  

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I do feel very vindicated that I didn't go out and buy a $3K plus unit last year even though so many people were telling me I should do so.  Waiting a year hasn't been easy, but I'm glad that I didn't rush out and throw money at a Wilcox RAID Xe or just throw my hands up and get a MAWL.   I had heard the rumors about the Holosun VCSEL, I had been following the ACAL, and of course I was very hopeful that EOTech wouldn't go full retard on the OGL's price.  So, I'm glad I hung in there rather than going and spending more money on a laser than I did on my damn PVS14.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the laser shouldn't be more money than a Gen 3 PVS14.  I feel like sanity has finally prevailed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I suspect the ACAL will come with substantial advantages in illumination just based on the design. Either way, I'm holding out to see how things actually perform under NODs and in use and I'm really glad (as said just above me) that LAMs are becoming more reasonable for the capability.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
This
View Quote

I just saw the MSRP is supposed to be $800. Which through Holosun usually means will be a bit cheaper when that new-new appeal wears off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]

I just saw the MSRP is supposed to be $800. Which through Holosun usually means will be a bit cheaper when that new-new appeal wears off.
View Quote
Source? MSRP I saw posted was ~1050 USD, with street price being 800 USD (maybe MAP?).
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I think MSRP is supposed to be $1100 based on an earlier leak and MAP was more like $800, but I'm willing to be proven wrong about that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
This

MSRP is $1058.99. Street price/MAP should be at $800.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Be interesting to see what these go for street price after the initial demand subsides and their out in the market in decent quantity.  

I don't know anything about Holosun distribution to date though.  How has Holosun been about keeping up with demand for their current products?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
At $800 for VCSEL, I'd say we finally reached the point where lasers/illuminators are no longer priced incorrectly. I'm already trying to decide what I want to do with my KIJI-3 and LS117IR despite them doing the job just fine.

The flashlight also has me very interested, but MAN IS THAT THING UGLY.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#13]
As nice as everything sounds I really want to see civ powered illum performance. it seems too good to be true.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
As nice as everything sounds I really want to see civ powered illum performance. it seems too good to be true.
View Quote

Totally agreed. I need to see it to believe it. Otherwise we just have a nicely redesigned, lower profile LS321
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
This

I learned earlier in life

DVD Players:  
Players slowly trickled into other regions around the world. Prices for the first players in 1997 started at $600 and could top out at prices over $1000. By the end of 2000, players were available for under $100 at discount retailers. In 2003 players became available for under $50. Six years after the initial launch, close to one thousand models of DVD players were available from over a hundred consumer electronics manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Holosun ain't American but they know how to make shit get it to market and make it work. I have been suprised at the number of LE agencies that issue or approve their devices for duty use and I have had zero problems with their RDSs or lasers. That said I run Trijicon and Aimpoint at work. This holosun will hit the market when they say at the price point predicted period end of story.

I'm a visible overide guy and I think that is an underated underutilized aiming solution for true potential night gunfighting that some manufacturers are missing but im getting one or two of these bad boys when they hit even without it.

Looks like US manufacturers missed the boat and this will be the new thing until next year and they were pretty damn quiet about it.....so next year they will beat everyone's ass again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would you pay $800 for a device that was made and part sourced in the PRC and ripped off US IP.  Its a real world $300 buck device and thats a 100% margin.
View Quote
its not a clone of anything. what IP did they rip off? lasers?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
its not a clone of anything. what IP did they rip off? lasers?
View Quote

I think he's confused.

Unless Be Meyers owns the patent on an array of lasers or whatever makes their mawl C1+ an effective civilian class illuminator, he's completely off base.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#19]
Its straightforward - B. E. Meyers pioneered the use of VCSEL based diodes in this type of product.  They spent the R and D dollars and did the development work. They ensured that civilian specs were accepted by use of divergence limits for illuminators e.g. 67mW + 2 degrees min for MAWL C1+ and 150mW + 3 degrees min for the KIJI.  

They did all the hard work.  What did Holosun do?

I'm not off base at all.  I have what used to be known as ethics.

Keep in mind the all in production cost for the IRIS will likely be less than $50 and as an aside, the SOMO devices less than $25.  

I have no doubt after an astroturfing campaign the Holosun device will corner the civilian market.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:58:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#20]
Its straightforward - B. E. Meyers pioneered the use of VCSEL based diodes in this type of product.  They spent the R and D dollars and did the development work. They ensured that civilian specs were accepted by use of divergence limits for illuminators e.g. 67mW + 2 degrees min for MAWL C1+ and 150mW + 3 degrees min for the KIJI.  

Keep in mind the all in production cost for the IRIS will likely be less than $50 and as an aside, the SOMO devices less than $25.  

I have no doubt after an astroturfing campaign the Holosun device will corner the civilian market.
View Quote

We have laws and judges that decide what is considered IP theft and what isn’t.

Holosun has some pretty sophisticated attorneys that clear them to make products. BE Meyers has some as well that will put a stop to production if Holosun violates the law.

VCSEL tech isn’t unique to BE Meyers

If anyone cares to read up a little: http://www.cent.titech.ac.jp/4ed16457d1459b7308937630d8e0affb41df0d15.pdf
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#21]
There's a video over on the reddit NV sub that claims to show the civvy power IRIS. It's an unknown distance and filmed with a potato...but it looks bad. Like atpial-c territory.

Let's hope something is off there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:37:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#22]
Yeah here is Nick Chens video

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2eEYuyrtJI/?igsh=MXhwejltYXE4bmg4dA==

Terrible performance

The potato photo for the boomers without instagram: Mawl left, Holosun right
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:45:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Visigothic] [#23]
Halosun has imported a few HP   LAMs   i.e. 321's.  I'm not sure but I bet it might not take much to hot-rod a civi model to higher output if someone knew the voodoo in the housing.  It might be as simple a using a jumper bypassing a resistor in the switching unit   ( HP setting) if we were lucky.

Running
221LE
321LE  
Titanium  cases
No issues

Not sure if blowing another $800 is worth the extended range of the IR VCSEL illuminator.  I can buy 2 BLAZER  VCSEL IRs for that.
I'm sure others coming to market with stand alone VCSEL IR lights.

I'm not a fan of  the electronic switching vs. analog contact switches, just me.

If you don't already have a LAM and aren't afraid of the electronic switching its probably worth a try at the price point.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:05:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: little_grease] [#24]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/IMG_9763_jpeg-3105532.JPG
View Quote

umm...that looks like ls321 performance. yikes

edit: holosun_josh said this was a unit used all day so could be low battery power and could have been in low power mode, and still a prototype...whos knows but FYI
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:07:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
There's a video over on the reddit NV sub that claims to show the civvy power IRIS. It's an unknown distance and filmed with a potato...but it looks bad. Like atpial-c territory.

Let's hope something is off there.
View Quote

Maybe Villain Weapon Systems will make a focusing cap for it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Visigothic] [#26]
321LE performance .

YES it does...I would know .
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:22:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#27]
Originally Posted By little_grease:

umm...that looks like ls321 performance. yikes

edit: holosun_josh said this was a unit used all day so could be low battery power and could have been in low power mode, and still a prototype...whos knows but FYI
View Quote

Yes I’m seriously hoping that was a dead battery. You would think they check shit like that though at shot show where it’s kinda important to showcase your products correctly.

Nick specifically mentioned that he made sure it was on high though
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
It's too early to say that the ACAL isn't worth the extra coin.  

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I do feel very vindicated that I didn't go out and buy a $3K plus unit last year even though so many people were telling me I should do so.  Waiting a year hasn't been easy, but I'm glad that I didn't rush out and throw money at a Wilcox RAID Xe or just throw my hands up and get a MAWL.   I had heard the rumors about the Holosun VCSEL, I had been following the ACAL, and of course I was very hopeful that EOTech wouldn't go full retard on the OGL's price.  So, I'm glad I hung in there rather than going and spending more money on a laser than I did on my damn PVS14.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the laser shouldn't be more money than a Gen 3 PVS14.  I feel like sanity has finally prevailed.
View Quote

I have $3k+ tied up in waiting for a Raid Xe. I think the Holosun is a different tier product. The Raid Xe has certain criteria which was vetted and went into its design and construction. The Holosun is a 1st gen product that the American consumer will proof and T&E for Holosun. This is not to say it is bad, or that the Raid is good, but just to state the reality of the development cycle of both products.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#29]

View Quote

Is Wilcox paying B.E. Meyers for the privilege of using VCSEL or are they stealing as well? Same for Z-Bolt?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
The Holosun is a 1st gen product that the American consumer will proof and T&E for Holosun.
View Quote

lolwut? Holosun's been making MFALs since 2017. The guys who bought the LS series (myself included) were the ones who paid for the proofing and T&E. They have a pretty significant amount of experience at this point. The Iris is the 2nd gen product.

The amount of cope going on in some parts of this thread is wild. Look, if own a MAWL or a RAID, you probably still own the superior product. It's OK! Some of us just don't really want to spend thousands of bucks of our own cash on one, and will accept trade-offs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By French1966:
Yes I’m seriously hoping that was a dead battery. You would think they check shit like that though at shot show where it’s kinda important to showcase your products correctly.

View Quote

The good news is that I think Holosun got the message that they need to bump up output significantly. Agree that it was an underwhelming performance for a product that's supposedly only a few months out from production.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:35:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: steviesterno16] [#33]
@Defaultmp3
@erwos
@tranzformer
@Yani

see my pic in the post above. From Holosun's own IG page, IRIS MSRP is $800

edited to add a
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:20:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#34]
@Defaultmp3
@erwos
@tranzformer
@Yani

see my pic in the post above. From Holosun's own IG page, IRIS MSRP is $800

edited to add a
View Quote
Eh, while it is from Holosun's IG, it is also a repost of someone else's post, so I'm not sure if the repost is simply wrong and Holosun didn't correct it (800 USD for MAP seems to be the consensus currently). The SHOT Show planner app was showing 1058.81 USD for MSRP. It would be awesome if it were 800 USD MSRP and not MAP, but given that the LS321s MSRP for over 900 USD, I'm much more inclined to believe that it's a mix up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Which means he probably visualized it in low, and then high, and noted them to be different. He knows what he's doing and if he "made sure it was in high" and he didn't mention "high looked the same as low", well...
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Is Wilcox paying B.E. Meyers for the privilege of using VCSEL or are they stealing as well? Same for Z-Bolt?
View Quote

VCSEL was invented in Tokyo before I was even born by a Japanese guy. Is BEM or Wilcox paying him?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#37]
If that isn't a dead battery maybe the SG NGAL is the recreational laser to pick up in 2024. $400 is throwaway money in the NV sector. My SG LA-5 UHP has been hiccup free for about a year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:37:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#38]
Attachment Attached File

Some additional context. Even on the useless atpial-c I used to have, there was a difference in illuminator/laser intensity from DL->DH.

Well see. I'm cautious about putting a ton of weight on this anecdote but I'm also cautious about getting my hopes up. Let's be honest, what we're seeing in that video is no better than the legacy civvy lasers we've been bitching about for 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm waiting until this actually hits the markets and reviews start rolling in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

View Quote

Just ignore him.   He literally has no idea what he is talking about or is intentionally being obtuse for political reasons.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MunnyShot] [#41]
Yeah here is Nick Chens video

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2eEYuyrtJI/?igsh=MXhwejltYXE4bmg4dA==

Terrible performance

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/IMG_9763_jpeg-3105532.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for posting the vid. It looks to be very anemic vs the MAW, so it's a hard pass for me for anything past 100 yards. It makes me glad I got on the MAWL train early enough before the price rose to 3.5K YIKES
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#42]
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wnMB8x3Ir6A

Apparently you can't embed shorts.  EDIT: This is a pre-production full power version apparently, I did not see the description due to the way I was viewing the Short at the time. Apologies.

In this video the Holosun IRIS looks pretty decent. I'm going to reserve my opinion either way until I see a lot more videos and reviews/impressions on it.

It's fun to get hyped and frankly I'm excited about the potential of not having to pay more than I spent on my PVS14 just to get a mid MFAL.  Whether the IRIS is the ticket or the ACAL or if we'll just have to wait even longer time will tell, but I think the big news is that we're moving in the right direction.   It will be really nice if the blue collar working man with a family who cares about things like being financially responsible can actually get an MFAL.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Apparently you can't embed shorts.

In this video the Holosun IRIS looks pretty decent. I'm going to reserve my opinion either way until I see a lot more videos and reviews/impressions on it.

It's fun to get hyped and frankly I'm excited about the potential of not having to pay more than I spent on my PVS14 just to get a mid MFAL.  Whether the IRIS is the ticket or the ACAL or if we'll just have to wait even longer time will tell, but I think the big news is that we're moving in the right direction.   It will be really nice if the blue collar working man with a family who cares about things like being financially responsible can actually get an MFAL.
View Quote
That's their FP variant, per the video description.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By mbz451:
That's their FP variant, per the video description.
View Quote

Ah, well darn. Oh well, I'm still not making a declarative judgment based off one single video either way.  There will, in time, be some good reviews from people I trust to give an honest opinion like Hop and BrassFacts who have decent camera equipment.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Apparently you can't embed shorts.

View Quote

You need to change shorts/ to watch?v=

Holosun IRIS NV footage. Video credit Darq industries.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]
And just like that.... All my interest in buying multiples of this evaporated.

I've done the civvie useless ir illuminators. No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#47]

View Quote

You've got some time to see how things really do end up.  We can't even buy these right now. Let them get out into the world and let's get a lot of different videos, reviews, and opinions to form a solid opinion.  At the price they're going for plenty of guys are going to definitely T&E them for those of us with reservations about rushing out and buying one.

Plus, there is still the ZBolt ACAL, which could be pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By OBXT:

You need to change shorts/ to watch?v=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnMB8x3Ir6A
View Quote
That's FP not Civ powered.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

I guess the D2 lives on....
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
Some additional context. Even on the useless atpial-c I used to have, there was a difference in illuminator/laser intensity from DL->DH.
View Quote

I've always read and heard that the extra settings never did anything, so I haven't tried it. Might have to give it a test sometime, but the VWS focusing cap really helps the illuminator at mid-range distances.
Page / 6
New Holosun IRIS VCSEL (Page 3 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top