Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2009 6:24:12 PM EDT
I am proud to present my just-about-finished SL8 to G36 conversion. I would call it finished, except I've thought I was finished several times already.

It started out as an SL8-1. It now sports an HK dual optic, G36K handguard, G36 3 position Lower w/ SL8 internals, G36C stock, 16" HDPS barrel w/Vortex flash-hider.

The receiver/demilled stub work, engraving, magwell cover, and refinish were done by Tommy 'TBostic' Bostic. I am definitely pleased with the work. The quality is top notch. His quoted turn around time was spot on, I had it back in my hands on the day he said it would be. I couldn't be happier with the conversion.

I've been to the range with it and it works beautifully. Super comfortable & accurate.

I wish my state (WA) had better NFA laws... I'd love to SBR the conversion.

~Icarus

Link Posted: 2/6/2009 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Man that is bad ass!
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work, but how many rounds does that mag hold? It doesn't look staggered. Do you have to do a mag well upgrade to use hi-cap mags?
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice work, but how many rounds does that mag hold? It doesn't look staggered. Do you have to do a mag well upgrade to use hi-cap mags?

Look closely.  The rounds are clearly staggered in at least two photos.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a 30 round G36 mag

Yes, the magwell has to be milled out and covered (as the milling leaves a gap).

~Icarus
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
wow looks great.
That must have kicked your bank account in the balls!

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
OUTSTANDING
How much does something like that run? Where did you find all the parts?
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OUTSTANDING
How much does something like that run? Where did you find all the parts?

I would think that Homeland Defense and Police Supply could do the conversion, as they convert the USC-45 to the UMP-45 all day long.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
HDPS does not do these kinds of conversions. Tommy Bostic ('Tbostic' on HKPro) innovated this type of conversion & another member Chopstix Kid, are the only two people doing these conversions.

HDPS makes a conversion block to attach a G36 stock & trigger group to an SL8. The block adds 2-3 inches to the eye relief, making the G36 optic nearly unusable, and even the G36 irons are hard to use with it. Plus, the blocks don't allow the stock fold without blocking the ejection port (so it won't lock in place, nor allow firing while the stock is folded... not that I'm into that sort of thing )

The majority of my parts came from Adam @ hkpart.net (highly recommended!) The conversion work costs vary, so I would contact Tbostic or Chopstix Kid. Tbostic did mine pictured above.

~Icarus
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Very Nice.Tell me about the "HK Dual Optic",I've never heard of that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a 3.5x with a red dot mounted above it - battery & fiber optic.

The reticle system is interesting and provides many places to aim, in order to compensate for locations impact.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
edited

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
HDPS does not do these kinds of conversions. Tommy Bostic ('Tbostic' on HKPro) innovated this type of conversion & another member Chopstix Kid, are the only two people doing these conversions.

HDPS makes a conversion block to attach a G36 stock & trigger group to an SL8. The block adds 2-3 inches to the eye relief, making the G36 optic nearly unusable, and even the G36 irons are hard to use with it. Plus, the blocks don't allow the stock fold without blocking the ejection port (so it won't lock in place, nor allow firing while the stock is folded... not that I'm into that sort of thing )

The majority of my parts came from Adam @ hkpart.net (highly recommended!) The conversion work costs vary, so I would contact Tbostic or Chopstix Kid. Tbostic did mine pictured above.

~Icarus

It would be great if you could give at least an idea of what yours cost in the configuration pictured (just a ballpark figure, not an itemized invoice).  There are several different ways to do these conversions and I think some people don't exactly understand the difference in prices between a basic one using a block like Ed's and a more accurate representation like yours.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#13]
First you start with the rifle itself:

$1300-$2000+ -SL8-1 or SL8-6
$150-$200 -G36 Triggerpack/Lower
$50-$150 -G36 Stock
$40 -G36 Buffer
$75 -G36 demilled Stock Hinge
$20-$30 -G36 Magwell
$50-$70 -G36 magazine
$100-$200 -Bolt for double stack mags
$125-$250 -Barrel work
$500-$1000 -Labor to Install all of the above

G36 Optics or Rail: $125-$600

Roughly: $2410-$4015 (+optic or rail) Depending on how much you need done, and have done yourself, and how much you initially paid for the rifle.

You'd be in serious need of US-made parts: US Made Bolt, Piston, Trigger, Sear, Floorplate, Follower, or Operating Rod. for a tad bit more cash. I'd recommend dyeing the gray SL8 first, so if the finish comes off, it is still black underneath.

As for the differences:

Here is an SL8/G36 Conversion using the Top Notch Lower & Stock

The Top Notch conversion is usable without modification to the SL8 receiver. it adds 2-3 inches to the length of pull & eye relief to optics and irons. That extra length makes it difficult to use the G36 optics & the iron sights. Plus, if you are a G36 fan, it makes the rifle look wonky. Being as this was the only way to do the conversions for many moons, most people just had to make do. the complete kit came with a US made bolt, piston & AR15 magwell. The kit itself has a US-made stock & pistol grip (though, you'd do well to replace the US-made stock with the shorter, more comfortable G36c stock.)

Price, if you do all of the work: ~$1940-$2955 + Optic/Rail

Here is the HDPS conversion

It is a lot nicer than the TN conversion, but is way more expensive. Not only is the block itself pricy, but you  need to buy lots of the other G36 replacement parts as well. Also, the main issue is that the HDPS block still adds those couple inches to the LOP & Eye Relief. With the HDPS, you need to buy a G36 lower/triggerpack, G36 stock, the pins to connect them, You'd still need a bolt, magwell, and US compliance parts.

Price, if you do all of the work: ~$2095-$3200 + Optic/Rail

Here is an overlay of the TN conversion with the new style conversion. HDPS would look similar:

The magwell on the SL8 needs to be modified to use doublestack mags (AR15 or G36), and you need to have a bolt that will strip rounds from a doublestack mag.

Magwell before filling (w/ modified AR15 magwell & Lancer mag)

Magwell after filling (with G36 magwell & mag)

In the end it is about how much you want to spend and how close you want to get to an authentic G36. None of these conversions allow for the G36 bolt carrier to fit into the SL8 receiver and that keeps the rifle from being able to go full-auto, even if the multi-position lowers are installed. For additional safety, on mine, the G36 FCG internals (Fire Control group) have been replaced with the original SL8 internals, which are obviously semi-auto only.

The pricing numbers are rough and should just give you a general idea of the costs. They are consistent to themselves and, I think, fair. They don't include things like tax or shipping or reflect on availability, lead times or anything else. I wouldn't go into this thinking I could order up all of the parts and send it off for conversion and get it back in two week. This process can take several months, I know some people who have spent several years, slowly converting their SL8.

For me, it was quite a process and I am extremely happy with the end result. It has been worth the trouble and cost.

~Icarus

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
How do they add the plastic and modify the receiver for the stock? Is it vibration welded?

Very interesting stuff...
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#15]
That would definitely be a better question for Tbostic or Chopstix Kid.

I know there is at least one metal bracket bracing the two receiver and hinge section together (It basically replaces/extends the one that HK already had in there). Also, there is a large plate, like a floor for the bolt carrier that is connected to the receiver and then bonded to the lower sides of the rear section. I believe that the seams are either plastic welded, or epoxied in place.

The optic and the way the trigger pack is connected, also acts like a bracing force.

~Icarus
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That would definitely be a better question for Tbostic or Chopstix Kid.

I know there is at least one metal bracket bracing the two receiver and hinge section together (It basically replaces/extends the one that HK already had in there). Also, there is a large plate, like a floor for the bolt carrier that is connected to the receiver and then bonded to the lower sides of the rear section. I believe that the seams are either plastic welded, or epoxied in place.

The optic and the way the trigger pack is connected, also acts like a bracing force.

~Icarus

hhmmm So does that make this more of a wall hanger? I can't imagine it being very strong after being cut and glued, but maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
hhmmm So does that make this more of a wall hanger? I can't imagine it being very strong after being cut and glued, but maybe I'm wrong.

Definitely not. Several of these kinds of conversions have been done, some well over a year ago, maybe getting near 2 years (possibly more), and some have a couple thousand rounds through them. I have only put about 100 rounds through mine so far.

I don't know if they are meant for rappelling out of helicopters or throwing off rooftops or whatnot, but for all "normal" civilian usage they work great. I will treat this conversion exactly as I treated my SL8 without worry. If all hell breaks loose, I would grab my AR15 before an SL8 or this conversion.

~Icarus
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
wow looks great.
That must have kicked your bank account in the balls!

This. What did it run you total?
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How do they add the plastic and modify the receiver for the stock? Is it vibration welded?

Very interesting stuff...

they mill the rear of the sl8 and use an epoxy to "weld" the g36 rear (tbostic uses his own rear) to the front half of the sl8 receiver-not to mention the metal reinforcement rail they also use

thats a very nice conversion, tom and chopstix does very good work
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, that is fluggin' sick!!!

I wish I had the money to convert my SL8-1 over...
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Icarus, it appears as though you are famous.

LINK to HK54

btw, this is not me, I found that thread whilst I was browsing around the interweb. I think your conversion is badass.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
You have to wonder if maybe Todd Bailey is posting that sort of tripe because these new style conversions makes his conversion somewhat obsolete.

I just got back from shooting my G36 conversion. I would ditch the whole SL8 weapon system, if you told me I could not have this type of conversion.

While the ATF is very fickle in its rulings, there is plenty of precedent (complete with letters of approval), which allow these conversions. No one can speak with certainty about what the ATF will or won't declare illegal. Just check out the Atkins Accelerator fiasco. They might give you the green light, complete with letter, then turn around and put the kibosh on it. You just never can tell, since it depends which way the wind is blowing and who you talk to and on which day you talk to them.

But that is a funny post. Thanks for sharing it!

~Icarus
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#24]
What an ass...

"Don't Ask Don't Tell"..."Everything not forbidden is allowed?"

But I would be interested if anyone has any BATF literature about this?
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#25]
May as well add these pictures as well!

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#26]
do want!
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#27]
That is 180 degrees from how it ought to be; dot should be on BOTTOM to match cheek weld, as the dot is intended for fast work.

Nevertheless, your modifications to the original rifle certainly seem to be an improvement.

Quoted:
It is a 3.5x with a red dot mounted above it - battery & fiber optic.

The reticle system is interesting and provides many places to aim, in order to compensate for locations impact.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/Icarusuki/Reticle.jpg

Link Posted: 5/5/2009 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#28]
forgot to add:  once fired a real G36.  The ones supplied to the capitol police had a lower installed for semi and, oddly, 2-round burst.   Weapon proved reliable that day (we put a few hundred rounds down range).  Sadly, all those guns owned by Capitol were shown the band-saw.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#29]
is this the same rifle thats for sale?
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, it is.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 2:18:43 AM EDT
[#31]
The conversion looks absolutely terrific!

I have a TN conversion from some years back. The eye relief was a little long, so  it just sits in the safe.

I would like to have this conversion. Can anyone provide contact info for TBostic or the Chopstix Kid if they're still doing these conversions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a TN conversion from some years back. The eye relief was a little long, so  it just sits in the safe.

I would like to have this conversion. Can anyone provide contact info for TBostic or the Chopstix Kid if they're still doing these conversions?

Thanks!

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Both can be found on the HKPro forums. Last time I checked, Chopstix Kid is not doing these right now.

~Icarus
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Sweet gun,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top