Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 7:02:26 AM EDT
Hello, I am new to the Denver area and have a question regarding concealed carry.  Some states (OK I think) require that when you carry concealed the weapon must be completely concealed and never be seen.  I have not yet taken a concealed carry class here in CO but will soon.

I plan to carry a full sized 1911 for defense against wildlife when I go hiking in the mountains and would like to be able to simply throw on a lightweight jacket when necessary without worrying if the weapon is concealed or not (after I get my carry license).  

So, the question is: does CO require a concealed weapon be completely concealed all the time?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about Denver but the rest of the state allows open carry as well as permitted concealled carry, so you're good to go either way.  Denver may not allow open carry, but as long as you're making an effort to conceal it you will be fine.  Someone from Denver should be able to give you a more solid answer on that specific area.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not sure about Denver but the rest of the state allows open carry as well as permitted concealled carry, so you're good to go either way.  Denver may not allow open carry, but as long as you're making an effort to conceal it you will be fine.  Someone from Denver should be able to give you a more solid answer on that specific area.

CMS

Denver does not allow open carry and also has a high cap mag ban.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I should have been more specific; I am not in Denver but just north of there.

So far it sounds as if there is no problem (outside of Denver) of a concealed pistol "peeking" out into open carry in Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
No issues at all. You may scare the liberals but no worries from the law.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Concealed means concealed.  If you have a permit-unless l.e.o.- the only way to legally carry off your own property your firearm needs to remain concealed.  You also need to carry your permit with you and any other state issued i.d. you have.

If you print or any of your gun shows don't be surprised if the nice people in blue show up to find out more info, it could lead to a whole lot of trouble and a most unpleasant way to spend a few hours getting things sorted out.   All depends on the circumstances & the attitude of the cops involved.

All open carry does is tell the bad guys who to shoot first and bring unnecesary attention to you.  Just my opinion, not slamming any one else's choices.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Open carry in public is a bad idea in my opinion as well....but the option to open carry is nice because if you should happen to print or show (while intending to conceal)...there are no legal action the police can charge you with.  All the permit does is gives you the option to conceal if you choose to do so.  It does not mean you HAVE to conceal.  The CCW permit allows you to do either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Concealed means concealed. If you have a permit-unless l.e.o.- the only way to legally carry off your own property your firearm needs to remain concealed.
Pretty damn sure open carry is legal almost everywhere except Denver w/o any permit being needed. You DO need a permit for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
either concealed or not concealed.
not "in between"

honestly despite all the whining you hear.
I open carry a lot and NOBODY notices.

They don't expect to see it, so they don't.

I wouldn't in downtown Denver (but hey, I hate Denver anyway), but concealed is fine.  They don't notice in downtown boulder.  (which is legal)

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
either concealed or not concealed.
not "in between"

honestly despite all the whining you hear.
I open carry a lot and NOBODY notices.

They don't expect to see it, so they don't.

I wouldn't in downtown Denver (but hey, I hate Denver anyway), but concealed is fine.  They don't notice in downtown boulder.  (which is legal)

Not trying to be argumentative, but where exactly in law does it say you have to do one or the other?  The only instance where you have to be darn sure you're concealed carrying is in a place like the City of Denver where OC is not permitted.  Elsewhere, you won't have any issue half-assed concealed carrying.  I carried my 1911 all the time in a Yaqi Slide holster...very minimalist...and the muzzle always stuck out below my t-shirt.  Most of the time I only made a slight effort to conceal it (and yes I had a permit), but you could spot it if you were observant enough.  No issues in numerous encounters (friendly) with LE.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
From Colorado Revised Statues

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

18-3-206. Menacing.

(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by any threat or physical action, he or she knowingly places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury. Menacing is a class 3 misdemeanor, but, it is a class 5 felony if committed:

(a) By the use of a deadly weapon or any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon; or

(b) By the person representing verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon.

Either Open Carry or conceal it.  Try to push the limits between them and you will get in trouble...  It's not that hard to follow the rules here.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can see it its open carry. If you can't its concealed. Find me a cop that's going to hassle you because you "Weren't open nor concealed carrying a handgun". Down and dirty... If you have a permit you can carry how you wish.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

18-3-206. Menacing.

(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by any threat or physical action, he or she knowingly places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury. Menacing is a class 3 misdemeanor, but, it is a class 5 felony if committed:

(a) By the use of a deadly weapon or any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon; or

(b) By the person representing verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon.

Either Open Carry or conceal it.  Try to push the limits between them and you will get in trouble...  It's not that hard to follow the rules here.

I read so much BS on the errornet about "brandishing" if you accidentally expose your ccw piece.  Printing under a lightweight jacket isn't illegal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

18-3-206. Menacing.

I read so much BS on the errornet about "brandishing" if you accidentally expose your ccw piece.  Printing under a lightweight jacket isn't illegal.

Rock on with your bad self then.  It's your call.  It must be our first day...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18-3-206. Menacing.

Okay lawdog, where in what you posted does it say that it's illegal to "print" or accidentally expose your ccw pistol?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18-3-206. Menacing.

I don't think anyone here it intending on being disrespectful...but name one incident where a law abiding citizen was cited by LE for not having their handgun fully concealed or fully open carried.  All the law above does is explain concealled carry.  It does not mention open carry at all.  Printing happens.  Sometimes you show too.  When has anyone (in CO state at least) been cited for doing either?  LE understands it happens.  Unless you have a reason to draw negative attention to yourself...you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#16]
For wildlife protection - I presume a hiking scenario. Just open carry, not a problem.

-JC
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm... I thought this would be an easy answer, I guess my question (and it's answer) isn't clearly spelled out in CO law or common knowledge.  

As I said, when hiking I do plan on OC but want the peace of mind that in the event I throw on a jacket I don't have to worry about an in between condition.  

Are LEOs here in CO willing to explain the law?  If so who (either a person or dept) should I ask?

Interesting discussion so far.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, it is easy.

Concealed is concealed.  Printing or your gun accidentally showing is not brandishing or menacing.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hmmm... I thought this would be an easy answer, I guess my question (and it's answer) isn't clearly spelled out in CO law or common knowledge.  

As I said, when hiking I do plan on OC but want the peace of mind that in the event I throw on a jacket I don't have to worry about an in between condition.  

Are LEOs here in CO willing to explain the law?  If so who (either a person or dept) should I ask?

Interesting discussion so far.

Don't go to LEO's, call the DA.  They are the ones who will charge you, not cops.  It's all about reading and translating the law as it's written.  It really is easy.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#20]
OK, thanks for the discussion and information.  After I get settled here I'll take the carry class and get my CCW.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, do that.

Meantime, as an LEO, I will chime in my opinion.  How I would treat the contact may be different depending on whether I'm dispatched to a "man with a gun" call or if I happen to see Mr. Joe Citizen walking down the street and catch a glimpse of a gun under his light jacket that was blown open by a gust of wind.  Either way, let's just assume the contact is made in a business/residential section of town and the guy is doing nothing more than being on the street conducting his day-to-day business.

Excuse me, Sir, I'm Officer 401Jeeper with the <fill in agency here.>  You match the description of a person that was called in that may have a weapon, or I happened to see your gun.  Can I chat with you about that for a minute?  Law-abiding citizen with a CCW says "Sure, Officer, what can I do for you?  By the way, I am legally armed."

Me:  You are not in trouble, but I do need to make sure everything's on the level.  Where is your gun?  or, I saw your gun on your right/left hip, where do you keep your identification?  Just keep your hands visible and please turn around just so I can see you reach for your ID and your CCW permit.  Thank you.

I run Joe Citizen, who does come back clear with a valid CCW.  I then explain that while it's not illegal for him to accidentally expose his firearm, it's not in the best interest of not alarming the general public and it's always best to make every effort to keep his firearm concealed.  If he asks if OC is legal, I tell him yes, it is, however, most folks do get alarmed at the sight of a gun and may call it in for us to check out.  Have a great day, thank you for your time and cooperation.

If the citizen refuses to show ID or tells me to pound sand, that steps up the game.  At that time, he is "detained" as I now have reasonable suspicion to believe a crime may be being committed (unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon) and the investigation begins.  As soon as it is proven he is legal, the detention is over and he is free to go, regardless of his attitude.

Would I disarm him?  It depends.  Probably, but the gun would probably remain on the hood of my patrol car in plain view.  Time of day, lighting, subject's attitude and actions, surrounding area, etc would dictate this.  There may be a situation where I would secure the gun in the trunk of my car, tell the citizen I am doing so and assure him he will get it back in very short order.  "Sir, just for my safety, as well as yours, would you mind if I hold onto your weapon while we talk?  You will get it right back just as soon as I determine you are good to go.  Thank you."  Do I have a right to take his firearm for the duration of the contact?  For officer safety, you bet.  If he refuses, I call my friends.  

As you can see, there is no solid protocol for handling this.  I believe the average legal Joe Citizen is more apt to make the contact go well if he's given a little respect from the word go.  That being said, I say to all the GD internet commandos, if you got nothing to hide, why is it worth it to hassle us?  If you're legal, you'll be on your way.  Our point of view:  the same ones that blast us for hassling them for abiding by the law will be the first to condemn us for not stopping the wanted felon who we saw carring a gun right before he went into the 7-Eleven and robbed the place.  But he looked for all the world to be just like you, carrying a gun on his hip walking down the street.  You do the math.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#22]

I don't think anyone here it intending on being disrespectful...but name one incident where a law abiding citizen was cited by LE for not having their handgun fully concealed or fully open carried.  All the law above does is explain concealled carry.  It does not mention open carry at all.  Printing happens.  Sometimes you show too.  When has anyone (in CO state at least) been cited for doing either?  LE understands it happens.  Unless you have a reason to draw negative attention to yourself...you'll be fine.

I know two guys in New Mexico (not Colorado, as mentioned above) that found themselves in a world of sh!t for being somewhere between open and concealed. One had an IWB holster in the back pocket of his jeans, the other had an IWB holster in his belt/pants with just the butt exposed. Open = open, concealed = part or all of the gun is covered. Its just sloppy, it makes your intent ambiguous.

Yoda said: "Do or do not... there is no try."  Sloppy half-assed concealment or distasteful open carry only hurt the causes we all [should] fight for.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes, do that.

Meantime, as an LEO, I will chime in my opinion.  How I would treat the contact may be different depending on whether I'm dispatched to a "man with a gun" call or if I happen to see Mr. Joe Citizen walking down the street and catch a glimpse of a gun under his light jacket that was blown open by a gust of wind.  Either way, let's just assume the contact is made in a business/residential section of town and the guy is doing nothing more than being on the street conducting his day-to-day business.

Excuse me, Sir, I'm Officer 401Jeeper with the <fill in agency here.>  You match the description of a person that was called in that may have a weapon, or I happened to see your gun.  Can I chat with you about that for a minute?  Law-abiding citizen with a CCW says "Sure, Officer, what can I do for you?  By the way, I am legally armed."

Me:  You are not in trouble, but I do need to make sure everything's on the level.  Where is your gun?  or, I saw your gun on your right/left hip, where do you keep your identification?  Just keep your hands visible and please turn around just so I can see you reach for your ID and your CCW permit.  Thank you.

I run Joe Citizen, who does come back clear with a valid CCW.  I then explain that while it's not illegal for him to accidentally expose his firearm, it's not in the best interest of not alarming the general public and it's always best to make every effort to keep his firearm concealed.  If he asks if OC is legal, I tell him yes, it is, however, most folks do get alarmed at the sight of a gun and may call it in for us to check out.  Have a great day, thank you for your time and cooperation.

If the citizen refuses to show ID or tells me to pound sand, that steps up the game.  At that time, he is "detained" as I now have reasonable suspicion to believe a crime may be being committed (unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon) and the investigation begins.  As soon as it is proven he is legal, the detention is over and he is free to go, regardless of his attitude.

Would I disarm him?  It depends.  Probably, but the gun would probably remain on the hood of my patrol car in plain view.  Time of day, lighting, subject's attitude and actions, surrounding area, etc would dictate this.  There may be a situation where I would secure the gun in the trunk of my car, tell the citizen I am doing so and assure him he will get it back in very short order.  "Sir, just for my safety, as well as yours, would you mind if I hold onto your weapon while we talk?  You will get it right back just as soon as I determine you are good to go.  Thank you."  Do I have a right to take his firearm for the duration of the contact?  For officer safety, you bet.  If he refuses, I call my friends.  

As you can see, there is no solid protocol for handling this.  I believe the average legal Joe Citizen is more apt to make the contact go well if he's given a little respect from the word go.  That being said, I say to all the GD internet commandos, if you got nothing to hide, why is it worth it to hassle us?  If you're legal, you'll be on your way.  Our point of view:  the same ones that blast us for hassling them for abiding by the law will be the first to condemn us for not stopping the wanted felon who we saw carring a gun right before he went into the 7-Eleven and robbed the place.  But he looked for all the world to be just like you, carrying a gun on his hip walking down the street.  You do the math.

We need more cops like you.

My mission, as a gun owner, is to make your job extremely boring.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, do that.

We need more cops like you.

My mission, as a gun owner, is to make your job extremely boring.

QFT...excellent post.

Do we really have to show ID?

Likes this too––->>>Yoda said: "Do or do not... there is no try

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#25]
As I explained, yes, you do.  This is purely hypothetical, mind you, but I am required by law to investigate the possibility of a crime being committed.  Part of that investigation requires you to show me identification and a valid CCW permit.  I would be remiss if I knew you had a gun and I just let you walk away.  What if it truly was a felon or other criminal and Joe Citizen saw his gun and called it in?

Once everything comes back legit, you can tell me to pound sand and call me (almost) every name in the book and there's nothing I can do about it.  Unless, of course, you're "disturbing the peace."
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#26]
What?  You mean not all cops are horrible people out to shoot my dog!  

Thanks for your service dude.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]
You're welcome.  And thank you to those of you who strive to make my shift boring!  Every day's an adventure...that's why I do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top