Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

Loctite isn't considered permanent by the ATF but you could silver solder or weld on a 3-lug (or other QD adapter) to "remove the threads" in a permanent manner.  You'll be cutting if you need to remove the barrel.

Trying to make it semi-permanent is asking for problems.
View Quote
Well darn. Thanks for the insight. Don’t want to have to cut it off for the occasional service.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Iraq_Vet_SSG:
Well darn. Thanks for the insight. Don’t want to have to cut it off for the occasional service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Iraq_Vet_SSG:
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

Loctite isn't considered permanent by the ATF but you could silver solder or weld on a 3-lug (or other QD adapter) to "remove the threads" in a permanent manner.  You'll be cutting if you need to remove the barrel.

Trying to make it semi-permanent is asking for problems.
I would be worried that would remove the hand grenade functionality.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Leon82:

I would be worried that would remove the hand grenade functionality.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170265/images__1__jpeg-1000936.JPG
View Quote
The moment you realize, awe $hit, wrong pouch.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump up... still looking to see if anyone can help determine if the semi-auto shockwave style shotguns are legal with a pistol grip and arm brace

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a question:

Is a Colt AR15 9mm Carbine preban legal and will the state give you a AWB form so it can be SBR'd?  Thanks.

A friend wants to know.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 2:39:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beetlebz] [#6]
Originally Posted By smarcus:
I have a question:

Is a Colt AR15 9mm Carbine preban legal and will the state give you a AWB form so it can be SBR'd?  Thanks.

A friend wants to know.
View Quote
All things being equal, yes, provided it has a barrel length over 16". I have not personally gone through the process of registering a preban but I looked into it extensively. The big pin in the whole operation is you need to pay colt for a letter certifying it's manufacture date prior to the 1994 (September something) assault weapons ban. Then once its registered you can send off the form 1 to SBR. I have also know people who just did the form 1 and never did the CT reg and it was just fine, but I dont know that I would go that route.

It may not be transferrable, though, if it just says "ar15" on the receiver with no other markings. That part gets more complicated.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Beetlebz:
The big pin in the whole operation is you need to pay colt for a letter certifying it's manufacture date prior to the 1994 (September something) assault weapons ban.
View Quote
I don't think this is true.  Granted mine isn't a Colt, but I bought a PWA sn 25xxx, in CT, private sale, got the proper authorzation number from the state and everything, then I went to the State Police with my copy (of the 4 copies) of the DPS-3-C, and a filled out DPS-414-C (assault weapons certificate application).

They took my papers for a minute, came back to the window with an ink pad, had me roll my thumb print, embossed the certificate and handed it to me.  I don't see why it would be any different for a Colt.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MikeOD82:

I don't think this is true.  Granted mine isn't a Colt, but I bought a PWA sn 25xxx, in CT, private sale, got the proper authorzation number from the state and everything, then I went to the State Police with my copy (of the 4 copies) of the DPS-3-C, and a filled out DPS-414-C (assault weapons certificate application).

They took my papers for a minute, came back to the window with an ink pad, had me roll my thumb print, embossed the certificate and handed it to me.  I don't see why it would be any different for a Colt.
View Quote
They also did not ask for a letter when I registered a colt a little while back, even though I have a letter.  They did not even ask
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Since 7.62x39 ak style rifles are a no go, can we purchase preban 5.45 ak’s? What about 7.62x39 ak style others? I know I’m late to the party, but I have the itch to add one to the collection. An in state gun store is working on bringing in 9mm ak style others, so I can always go that route if need be.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t know if there are any pre ban 5.45’s but pre ban .223 are around and transferable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dutchman84:
Since 7.62x39 ak style rifles are a no go, can we purchase preban 5.45 ak’s? What about 7.62x39 ak style others? I know I’m late to the party, but I have the itch to add one to the collection. An in state gun store is working on bringing in 9mm ak style others, so I can always go that route if need be.
View Quote
There are pre ban norincos in 5.56. Dont know about others in 7.62x39 but I assume they would have to pass the AK test. Dont know about 9mm ak's either though if it worked that would be cool.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The commissioner's letter linked in the preban firearms section at the beginning of this thread is no longer supported by the DESPP and has been taken off their website.

Is there any remaining clear documentation to send to a skeptical out of state seller to verify prebans are still legal?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it legal to ship hi cap AR mags to an 07 manufacturer in Connecticut ?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Anvis69:
Is it legal to ship hi cap AR mags to an 07 manufacturer in Connecticut ?
View Quote
It is legal for the shipper, as CT law doesn't include them.

It should be ok for the 07 to import, pursuant to CGS § 53-202w(d)(6) & (e)(3)
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Can we transfer fixed mag lowers? I know they are not popular, but I have a ridiculous amount of uppers just sitting in the safe and this seems to be the most cost effective way to get them on a lower. If we can, which ffl will do the transfer?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Can we transfer fixed mag lowers? I know they are not popular, but I have a ridiculous amount of uppers just sitting in the safe and this seems to be the most cost effective way to get them on a lower. If we can, which ffl will do the transfer?
View Quote
Pistol lower:
Fixed mag not >10 rounds

Rifle lower:
Fixed mag not >10 rounds
OAL not <30"

Other lower:
Should be gtg, provided you don't meet NFA

Correct?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By User55645:

Pistol lower:
Fixed mag not >10 rounds

Rifle lower:
Fixed mag not >10 rounds
OAL not <30"

Other lower:
Should be gtg, provided you don't meet NFA

Correct?
View Quote
Correct. I’m looking to build 2 pistols and a handful of rifles strictly as range toys and do not want to go the sbr or preban route as they will be built with spare parts. I just cannot find an ffl that will transfer only the lower. They will sell a fixed mag “other”, but that is not what I want.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not build detachable mag others?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By User55645:
Why not build detachable mag others?
View Quote
Most shops charge a premium to build others for you and not every barrel is over 12”. Just was trying to find a cheaper way to get lowers for these, but looks like I’ll have to go the other route and sbr some more pre bans.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAGged91] [#21]
I have an other with a 12.5 inch barrel. If I bought another upper in 300 blackout and swapped it onto the lower would that be good to go as long as the upper has a vertical foregrip and a barrel length greater than 12 inches? Also, is there a limit to how long the barrel can be or is it only that it can not be shorter than 12 inches?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JAGged91:
I have an other with a 12.5 inch barrel. If I bought another upper in 300 blackout and swapped it onto the lower would that be good to go as long as the upper has a vertical foregrip and a barrel length greater than 12 inches? Also, is there a limit to how long the barrel can be or is it only that it can not be shorter than 12 inches?
View Quote
Current advisement is between 12 and 16.

You could have multiple uppers,

but the warning of constructive possession state or federal wise should be mentioned I guess. As long as you can make it a legal configuration you should be ok
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Question for the informed.

As a Correction Officer, the statute reads that I need a letter from my Commissioner to PURCHASE an AR.  If I build one, am I not purchasing.  Legal?

Do I just call SLFU to clarify?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CTjer:
Question for the informed.

As a Correction Officer, the statute reads that I need a letter from my Commissioner to PURCHASE an AR.  If I build one, am I not purchasing.  Legal?

Do I just call SLFU to clarify?
View Quote
You plan on purchasing a lower ur from an 80center?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#25]

You plan on purchasing a lower ur from an 80center?
View Quote
I'd just use one of the stripped lowers I bought.

(I do have a few 80%'s sitting around though)
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTjer] [#26]
Sec. 53-202c. Possession of assault weapon prohibited. Exemptions. Class D felony. (a) Except as provided in section 53-202e, any person who, within this state, possesses an assault weapon, except as provided in sections 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and 53-202o, shall be guilty of a class D felony and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of which one year may not be suspended or reduced by the court, except that a first-time violation of this subsection shall be a class A misdemeanor if (1) the person presents proof that such person lawfully possessed the assault weapon (A) prior to October 1, 1993, with respect to an assault weapon described in subparagraph (A) of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a, or (B) on April 4, 2013, under the provisions of sections 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, in effect on January 1, 2013, with respect to an assault weapon described in any provision of subparagraphs (B) to (F), inclusive, of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a, and (2) the person has otherwise possessed the assault weapon in compliance with subsection (f) of section 53-202d.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons by: (1) The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, police departments, the Department of Correction, the Division of Criminal Justice, the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States, (2) a sworn and duly certified member of an organized police department, the Division of State Police within the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection or the Department of Correction, a chief inspector or inspector in the Division of Criminal Justice, a salaried inspector of motor vehicles designated by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, a conservation officer or special conservation officer appointed by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection pursuant to section 26-5, or a constable who is certified by the Police Officer Standards and Training Council and appointed by the chief executive authority of a town, city or borough to perform criminal law enforcement duties, for use by such sworn member, inspector, officer or constable in the discharge of such sworn member's, inspector's, officer's or constable's official duties or when off duty, (3) a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States, or (4) a nuclear facility licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission for the purpose of providing security services at such facility, or any contractor or subcontractor of such facility for the purpose of providing security services at such facility.

The bolded is what I'm referring to.

The sale of "assault weapons" to me, without written consent from my commissioner is not legal for the Transferee.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Correct. I’m looking to build 2 pistols and a handful of rifles strictly as range toys and do not want to go the sbr or preban route as they will be built with spare parts. I just cannot find an ffl that will transfer only the lower. They will sell a fixed mag “other”, but that is not what I want.
View Quote
I know I’m late to the party on this one, but have you tried Comgraf’s web site for fixed magazine lowers at CT Legal AR’s? Obviously the availability of CT others has made his product niche around here, but he does have fixed mag lowers available on his site with a dealers list. Of course they are a little more costly.

https://www.ctlegalars.com/
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:12:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CTomas] [#28]
so you all can still buy preban guns from other states, transferred though your local FFL of course?  Are there any other states that have this in effect and can receive old preban transfers?

@Andrapos

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:03:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CTomas:
so you all can still buy preban guns from other states, transferred though your local FFL of course?  Are there any other states that have this in effect and can receive old preban transfers?

@Andrapos

Thanks
View Quote

I think Massachusetts
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#31]
okay, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#32]
So what happens with those AK’s?
As I remember there was a letter that stated all pre-bans where OK.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By manac:
So what happens with those AK’s?
As I remember there was a letter that stated all pre-bans where OK.
View Quote

They were okay before they weren't okay
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Are there any CT legal integrally suppressed ruger mk uppers? Preferably one that’s railed?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuy01] [#35]
As long as you have the suppressor permanently attached to the barrel (thus, unthreaded) it shouldn't be an issue. DWilson MFG in Wisconsin does great work with Rugers, if you have a Ruger upper and a can you want to combine he can combine them and do the weld job on the spot.

https://www.facebook.com/dwilsonmfg/
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Tri-lug is also ok
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the replies. I have a target mkii cut down to 4.5” with my srd22x, but I’ve always wanted something integral. Chances are I’ll get another mkii and just cut it down to 2” and see if I can get a shorter can. The gemtech qda is a nice option and as much as I want to go with a full volquartsen pistol, it just makes the oal too much with can.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Is it still legal to ship an AR upper to someone residing in Connecticut?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BerlinVet:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerlinVet:

Yes

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:23:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: psegnatelli] [#41]
Never mind
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:45:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ivan_McYeetlock] [#42]
I have been going over the various CT guns laws and I have a few questions related to 3D printing firearm receivers/frames.

1. Can I legally 3D print an AR style "Other" lower receiver or pistol frame in CT?
2. Do I need to obtain a serial number from the DESPP before printing the receiver/frame?
3. If I do need to obtain a serial number from the DESPP, how is this accomplished? I looked at the "DESPP-0419-C-Unique-Serial-Number-Application-and-Gun-Manufactured-Completion-Notification" form and it does not indicate how to contact the DESPP to get a serial number.
4. Do I need to embed the receiver/frame with "three point seven ounces of material type 17-4 PH stainless steel" since it is made of polymer? Is this the same for AR style "other" lower receivers and pistol frames? Or does adding other metal components like uppers or slides meet the requirements for it to be detectable by a metal detector. I'm probably mixing up the CT state and federal laws.
5. Any other law(s) that I need to look at?

Also, can I legally build an AR style pistol if it has these features?
1. 3D printed AR style lower receiver.
2. Pistol grip.
3. No gas system and barrel gas hole permanently plugged.
4. 7.5" barrel, probably chambered in 300 blackout.
5. Pinned muzzle brake.
5. Rear section of bolt carrier removed so pistol does not need a buffer tube. Bolt carrier would be drilled and tapped to receive a bolt handle. The receiver's buffer tube opening would be capped off.
7. 10 round magazine that would be permanently attached, probably by welding a nut to the magazine latch. I'm making the assumption that the magazine needs to be permanently attached, but if it could be removable, that would be better.

Thanks,
IM

ETA - The AR pistol at the bottom of this page is the inspiration for building an AR pistol: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/What-did-you-print-today-/194-2267566/?page=10
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I believe you mail on the bottom half after you complete it. Top half is if you buy an 80% receiver from a gun dealer.

That's not limited to ARs any homemade firearm needs one of these unique serial numbers now
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe you mail on the bottom half after you complete it. Top half is if you buy an 80% receiver from a gun dealer.

That's not limited to ARs any homemade firearm needs one of these unique serial numbers now
View Quote

Thanks! I will try mailing in the bottom half of the form and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#45]
SBR Question:

What can be SBR'd in CT?  Bolt action/lever action, non-assault weapon long guns (ie. 10/22, mini-14)?

Thanks,
Ian
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:41:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kilroy300aac] [#46]
Oh well, thank you
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow,

Ok first you would have had to make it an "other " config and then fill out the state form for a cereal number.

I would delete your post unless you registered the 80 lower before the deadline
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By isullivan:
SBR Question:

What can be SBR'd in CT?  Bolt action/lever action, non-assault weapon long guns (ie. 10/22, mini-14)?

Thanks,
Ian
View Quote

You can sbr a bolt or lever gun and registered post bans.

To do a preban you have to get an aw cert from middletown
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Can I ship a threaded pistol to CT?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:49:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Leon82] [#50]
Originally Posted By Jmacken37:
Can I ship a threaded pistol to CT?
View Quote

Since it's going to a dealer yes. The dealer would be limited to who he can transfer it to.

I would call the recipient dealer and make sure they are ok with it.(your purchaser may not have told them)
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top