Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

well,
Dumb if you do, dumb if you don't
in the portal they got all the list you have,
assuming you don't register, they still have the records already
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope I am not the only one confused by the pages and pages of legalese added by PA 23-53

If an individual has:

A pre-1994 lower receiver with a pistol grip, flash hider and collapsible stock
(which was legal in CT before 2023),
can one apply for an Assault Weapon Certificate?
OR
does one have to take off all the naughty bits (since even 1 now makes it an AW), and then a AWC can be applied for?

That being said, if he/she takes off the "features", isn't it no longer an AW?
(or are they now saying even a bare lower is an AW, since "one can be made" (WrongThink)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:40:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike-N-Ike:
Hope I am not the only one confused by the pages and pages of legalese added by PA 23-53

If an individual has:

OR
does one have to take off all the naughty bits (since even 1 now makes it an AW), and then a AWC can be applied for?

(or are they now saying even a bare lower is an AW, since "one can be made" (WrongThink)

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If an individual has:

OR

Thanks!

It really isn't that confusing. Prebans that violate the AWB as it was on Jan 1, 2013 are now assault weapons and would have to be registered as such by May 1, 2024. And they repealed the preban statute so prebans are no longer a thing. This is the language reclassifying them as assault weapons:
(H) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, that was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994;
And the section that repeals the preban statute:
Sec. 49. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed. (Effective from passage)

If it is a semiautomatic detachable magazine centerfire rifle and has a pistol grip under the action of the weapon, then it's an assault weapon. Simply removing the folding/collapsing stock or flash hider isn't enough on such a pistol grip centerfire semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:46:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#4]
Originally Posted By ROMRAM:
well,
View Quote

Yep. Easy to tell people what to do from the cheap seats or when one doesn't have any skin in the game. One would weigh the possibly if getting caught with an unregistered AW versus registering something the state may already know about. As we've seen over the years, plenty of ways people end up getting busted for having an unregistered AW. From angry spouses/significant others tattling to police or getting one red flagged, to being robbed and police finding the unregistered AW during their investigation after one calls the police to report the robbery, to getting busted for something else and police discovering the firearm.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:
Prebans that violate the AWB as it was on Jan 1, 2013 are now assault weapons and would have to be registered as such by May 1, 2024.  
View Quote

Thank you, sir.
My first blush was that NO assault weapons were allowed in CT (excepting "performance of official duties")
but it appears a CT resident can own an assault weapon with aforementioned features IF
the requirements of PA 23-53 Section 24 (e) are met:
1. person is eligible and applies for Certificate of Possession (by 5/1/2024)
2. person possessed AW prior to 6/6/2023

Section 25 (a)(4)(A) also applies.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:07:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#6]
Thank you, sir.
My first blush was that NO assault weapons were allowed in CT (excepting "performance of official duties")
but it appears a CT resident can own an assault weapon with aforementioned features IF

View All Quotes
Thank you, sir.

Correct, like in 1993/1994, then in 2013, and now in 2023 there are specific steps, if one is not exempted, that one is supposed to take to retain legal possession of firearms the state deems assault weapons. That process involves registering the firearm with the state as an assault weapon.
https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms

Effective 9/14/2023, SLFU has opened an online portal for you to register your “2023 assault weapon” pursuant to PA 23-53. This registration will need to be completed by 5/1/2024.  For the most recent version of the Assault Weapon Certificate Application (DPS-414c) click HERE.  For the instructions on how to complete the online AW registration, click HERE. To access the online registration portal, click HERE. This process can still be completed by mail; however, it is STRONGLY recommended that you utilize the online portal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Refresh my memory folks…….

Any weapon that is not semiautomatic has to be configured in a manner that it cannot be easily reverted correct?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Fyrpower1972:

Any weapon that is not semiautomatic has to be configured in a manner that it cannot be easily reverted correct?
View Quote

This bill and registration process is about the semi-auto rifles (and Others) that were legal to own/purchase up until they banned them this year.  If not a semi-automatic, there is no impact on anyone's possessions.  Full autos have not been impacted either.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Yep. Easy to tell people what to do from the cheap seats or when one doesn't have any skin in the game. One would weigh the possibly if getting caught with an unregistered AW versus registering something the state may already know about. As we've seen over the years, plenty of ways people end up getting busted for having an unregistered AW. From angry spouses/significant others tattling to police or getting one red flagged, to being robbed and police finding the unregistered AW during their investigation after one calls the police to report the robbery, to getting busted for something else and police discovering the firearm.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ROMRAM:
well,

Precisely.  You can't hide what they know you already own.  To play devil's advocate, and I am not suggesting anyone does that, but what would be the state's legal argument to prosecute someone because that someone decided declaration is not necessary given the state already knows what he or she possesses?  Can someone take the 5th and say "F you, you already know so I choose to not participate in this shitshow"?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

That is the general consensus over the years. Cannot be readily or easily converted back to AW status. That's why some of the fixed magazine kits likely are not CT legal because one can easily and quickly revert the firearm to detachable magazine status. Its why some fixed mag lower manufacturers like DSI and Comgraf manufactured their lowers such the magazine release hardware cannot be installed. One would have to dill or mill out the the lower to accommodate the magazine release hardware.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#11]
Originally Posted By Ctgunner:
To play devil's advocate, and I am not suggesting anyone does that, but what would be the state's legal argument to prosecute someone because that someone decided declaration is not necessary given the state already knows what he or she possesses?  Can someone take the 5th and say "F you, you already know so I choose to not participate in this shitshow"?
View Quote

Not a lawyer and no idea what they'd actually say but just speculating off the top of my head. They could claim that the AW registration is to retain legal possession. Where as the DPS-3-C is the registration at transfer/purchase. Two separate actions/government requirements.  They'd also likely argue that there are many firearms being registered as AW's that do have have a DPS-3-C filed for it. Like those who moved into CT with firearms or those who obtained long guns prior to 4/4/13 when paperwork wasn't required, or one is old enough to have obtained the firearm before the state even had an AWB or mandated paperwork for firearm transfers/sales. Of course there is the whole incriminating yourself that one could argue in court when it comes to AW registration. But lets be honest, no lower level or state court is going to buy any argument that would tarnish or diminish the AWB. The court(s) WILL in the end side with the state.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I am starting to gather my documents for the AW cert process via the state portal.  Once you click on the link "new certificate application" are you supposed to get a "certificate number" that will be entered in the DPS-414-C declaration form?

Side note, I notice 2 of my firearms already have an "application/temp number" generated.  Is this the same as the "certificate number" for the declaration form?  I don't recall creating those numbers, it must be a SLFU portal glitch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#13]
I am starting to gather my documents for the AW cert process via the state portal.  Once you click on the link "new certificate application" are you supposed to get a "certificate number" that will be entered in the DPS-414-C declaration form?

Side note, I notice 2 of my firearms already have an "application/temp number" generated.  Is this the same as the "certificate number" for the declaration form?  I don't recall creating those numbers, it must be a SLFU portal glitch.
View Quote

If you haven't done so already, read through the "how-to" register an AW PDF the state has up:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DESPP/SLFU/firearms/AW-how-to-PDF.pdf

The certificate number will be indicated in the online system in the Certificate Number field and the Status field should change from Pending to Approved after SLFU approve the application. You leave the certificate number line on the DPS-414-C form blank (just like one did back in 2013). Back in 2013 SLFU would return half of the certificate with the certificate number stamped on it. Here is what the how-to PDF states for online registration:

STEP 8
ONCE SLFU HAS PROCESSED YOUR APPLICATION AND ISSUED A CERTIFICATE, THE DASHBOARD WILL SHOW THAT THE STATUS IS APPROVED AND THE CERTIFICATE NUMBER WILL BE LISTED. YOU WILL ALSO GET AN EMAIL THAT CONTAINS THE ACTUAL CERTIFICATE OF POSSESSION YOU SHOULD KEEP FOR YOUR FILES. YOU WILL NOT BE RECEIVING ANYTHING IN THE MAIL. IF YOU SUBMIT THE APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY, YOU WILL RECEIVE THE CERTIFICATE ELECTRONICALLY.

No, the application/temporary number is not the certificate number. That application number is typically or likely generated when one clicks on the New Certificate Application button to start the application process. If one clicks that button but doesn't submit the application the stupid system will continue to list the application number to track that specific application in case one returns later to submit it. Otherwise it remains there if one doesn't submit that specific firearm.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#14]
agreed, i wouldnt register a paper clip in this state, dont forget that the king had said he was comin for everyone's gun that registered a rifle after those two cops were ambushed by someone in ct....just sayin......that gave more meaning to registration is confiscation
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I know individuals who very reluctantly registered AWs last time around. One of their reasons was being at a public range when the man came around conducting an audit. Another was having an unforeseen incident that brought the man to their home. In both cases unregistered AWs could be discovered. I've talked to them about this go around and they are on the fence about what to do.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By middletownbob:
agreed, i wouldnt register a paper clip in this state, dont forget that the king had said he was comin for everyone's gun that registered a rifle after those two cops were ambushed by someone in ct....just sayin......that gave more meaning to registration is confiscation
View Quote

if you have acquired firearms through a FFL in this state, the state already knows it and they will have listed all these firearms under your name already.  As such, the registration has already occurred.  Not declaring/registering is a relatively low-risk option only if you have inherited something without having it processed via a FFL.  Or if you acquired something at a gun show, etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Blaster3094:

I know individuals who very reluctantly registered AWs last time around. One of their reasons was being at a public range when the man came around conducting an audit. Another was having an unforeseen incident that brought the man to their home. In both cases unregistered AWs could be discovered. I've talked to them about this go around and they are on the fence about what to do.

View Quote

The state registry already exists.  Under this new AW declaration process people will just "confirm" that the registry is accurate.  I am not telling you or others what to do, but if one logs onto the SLFU portal they will realize all (or most) of their firearms that were acquired via FFL, will be listed under their name.  This is not a "non compliance" issue as they already know what people possess.  Before comparing our situation to IL we need to be sure we are comparing similar situations.  I believe IL does not have a gun registry like the one CT has.  If I am wrong, someone will correct me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]

If you haven't done so already, read through the "how-to" register an AW PDF the state has up:

The certificate number will be indicated in the online system in the Certificate Number field and the Status field should change from Pending to Approved after SLFU approve the application. You leave the certificate number line on the DPS-414-C form blank (just like one did back in 2013). Back in 2013 SLFU would return half of the certificate with the certificate number stamped on it. Here is what the how-to PDF states for online registration:

STEP 8
ONCE SLFU HAS PROCESSED YOUR APPLICATION AND ISSUED A CERTIFICATE, THE DASHBOARD WILL SHOW THAT THE STATUS IS APPROVED AND THE CERTIFICATE NUMBER WILL BE LISTED. YOU WILL ALSO GET AN EMAIL THAT CONTAINS THE ACTUAL CERTIFICATE OF POSSESSION YOU SHOULD KEEP FOR YOUR FILES. YOU WILL NOT BE RECEIVING ANYTHING IN THE MAIL. IF YOU SUBMIT THE APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY, YOU WILL RECEIVE THE CERTIFICATE ELECTRONICALLY.

No, the application/temporary number is not the certificate number. That application number is typically or likely generated when one clicks on the New Certificate Application button to start the application process. If one clicks that button but doesn't submit the application the stupid system will continue to list the application number to track that specific application in case one returns later to submit it. Otherwise it remains there if one doesn't submit that specific firearm.
View Quote

Thanks.  Leaving the certificate number line blank on the DPS-414-C form is key, and it's definitely not clear on the form or form instructions document.  They should have added a disclaimer like "leave blank - for official use only" or something.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:28:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#19]
Under this new AW declaration process people will just "confirm" that the registry is accurate.
View Quote

What is really happening with the AW registration is one is registering a second time to keep possession of what the state deems illegal. Its calls a "certificate of possession" for a reason. Another thing the AW registration does is capture those firearms for which there is no DPS-3-C recorded. Be it from people who moved into the state, obtained the firearm before a DPS-3-C was required to be submitted for it, or obtain the firearm in some other legal fashion (bequest/will/etc.) in the past.

Its been estimated the AW registration numbers for 2013 were under 25%. People didn't register for various reasons. It is likely the same will happen this time around. No doubt there are a great many who don't realize their "preban" is now an AW.

The state's weapons registry is far from accurate as was evidenced by CTCarry's FOI of the weapons registry back in 2013 (or when ever it was years ago). Lots and lots of errors in it.

The state or towns will likely not have the manpower and budget to go door to door and widely confiscate firearms based on the weapons registry/DPS-3-C files. The Democratic politicians are looking long term and for now are content to choke off the sales of firearms they ban, and catch people with them one at a time, when the firearm is discovered or reported. They know that if the ban is in place long enough the legally possessed supply of them will dwindle to very few decades from now. That is why they and inferior court judges are fighting tooth and nail to keep the AWB's in place.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#20]

What is really happening with the AW registration is one is registering a second time to keep possession of what the state deems illegal. Its calls a "certificate of possession" for a reason. Another thing the AW registration does is capture those firearms for which there is no DPS-3-C recorded. Be it from people who moved into the state, obtained the firearm before a DPS-3-C was required to be submitted for it, or obtain the firearm in some other legal fashion (bequest/will/etc.) in the past.

Its been estimated the AW registration numbers for 2013 were under 25%. People didn't register for various reasons. It is likely the same will happen this time around. No doubt there are a great many who don't realize their "preban" is now an AW.

The state's weapons registry is far from accurate as was evidenced by CTCarry's FOI of the weapons registry back in 2013 (or when ever it was years ago). Lots and lots of errors in it.

The state or towns will likely not have the manpower and budget to go door to door and widely confiscate firearms based on the weapons registry/DPS-3-C files. The Democratic politicians are looking long term and for now are content to choke off the sales of firearms they ban, and catch people with them one at a time, when the firearm is discovered or reported. They know that if the ban is in place long enough the legally possessed supply of them will dwindle to very few decades from now. That is why they and inferior court judges are fighting tooth and nail to keep the AWB's in place.
View Quote

I agree with the evaluation and sentiment.  But. we got be realistic here too.  Unless one plans to get out of here soon, and that is before there is a door-to-door search by the state, they are on the record for possessing contraband which can result to both confiscation and jail time.  So unless one has inherited/acquired all their now-illegal rifles without a DPS-3C form then there is no such thing as "I will not comply" because everything has been registered.  This is all despicable, but most realistic folks would prefer confiscation only rather than confiscation AND jail time.  Many of us are stuck here for now, but we won't stay here for ever either.  Again, I am not telling or advising anyone what to do, but I want to clarify that "not complying" when they have a tab on you is a risky situation.  Each to their own.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]Originally Posted By Ctgunner:[/b]

I agree with the evaluation and sentiment.  But. we got be realistic here too.  Unless one plans to get out of here soon, and that is before there is a door-to-door search by the state, they are on the record for possessing contraband which can result to both confiscation and jail time.  So unless one has inherited/acquired all their now-illegal rifles without a DPS-3C form then there is no such thing as "I will not comply" because everything has been registered.  This is all despicable, but most realistic folks would prefer confiscation only rather than confiscation AND jail time.  Many of us are stuck here for now, but we won't stay here for ever either.  Again, I am not telling or advising anyone what to do, but I want to clarify that "not complying" when they have a tab on you is a risky situation.  Each to their own.
View Quote

A door to door search…. Not gonna happen .
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By nutter:

A door to door search…. Not gonna happen .
View Quote

Indeed, slim chance for that to happen.  But, practically speaking, when they know what you own (based on existing DPS-3 paperwork) what do you gain by not saying to them "yes, I own what you know I own"?  i get the sentiment of giving them the middle finger by refusing to participate in this clown show, I am just looking for the practical gain/benefit of not participating in the clown show.  Obviously, if no DPS3 form is on file, then one has more options.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:24:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#23]
that is before there is a door-to-door search by the state
View Quote

Not going to happen any time soon if ever outside of some catastrophe (think Katrina style).
As my prior post indicated police departments don't have the budget or manpower to do mass door to door confiscation.

Just think about it for a second. What would it gain them to do door to door confiscation in the era of mass communication and social media? They'd have to hit every single gun owner all at once to have any effect. Otherwise hitting one gun owner at a time (or a few at at a time) means the news of the raids WILL get out and ever other gun owner would hide their guns. Not to mention all the constitutional issues such raids raise due to the mass scale to comb through the 1.3 million firearms in the weapons registry (2023 numbers), to find those firearms that are assault weapons including 88,000+ "others" (20023 numbers) and who knows how many "prebans". Remember, the details of the DPS-3-C doesn't indicate a firearm is an assault weapon or not, it is just the record of the firearm transfer to a person. The state would have to check each firearm to ensure it's an actual assault weapon (people do change their firearms). That would require manpower and budgets to do so.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting- The site is letting me register revolvers, derringers, single shot rifles and shotguns, pumps,bolt action rifles , plus scary guns I no longer own.
Most of which I traded out of through Ct FFL’s over 20 years ago.
Cool.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Just an FYI for all of us...

I spoke to Deirdre the other week - Shes awesome, super helpful whenever ive contacted her.

The portal is obviosuly open as we all know - however, they dont have any timeline as to when they are going to start processing any registrations, and on their end, they have some bugs to work out to process the applications with no timeline as to when that will be corrected. Looks like this is going to be a long drawn out process for those that choose to register weapons.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
anyone got approval to date?
mine still says - "pending review"
submitted last november 2023
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#27]
So when we registered for the stabilizing brace I thought the form said "One copy goes to your local PD"?
So would that be considered "registered" with the state?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 4:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#28]
Originally Posted By TomCT10:
So when we registered for the stabilizing brace I thought the form said "One copy goes to your local PD"?
So would that be considered "registered" with the state?
View Quote

@TomCT10, The CT Assault Weapon registration is separate from the state's DPS-3-C (filled out when purchasing or receiving a firearm/lower) or when SBR'ing with ATF (Form 1). One has until May 1st, 2024 (really April 30th) to register any 2023 assault weapons.
One can register their 2023 assault weapon with the state through the online portal.
Current Assault Weapon Certificate Application (DPS-414c) that one uses to register a 2023 assault weapon.
Instructions on how to complete the online AW registration can be found here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Do we know how many registered so far?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#30]
So an Other without a rifled barrel is ok to own?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By M4A2:
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:14:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#32]
View Quote

You'd have to FOI SLFU that to find out as the only people who know are SLFU.

Per CCDL's FOI of SLFU documents from their lawsuit against Lamont they did get SLFU to claim there are something like 88,766 firearms classified as "others" in the state's weapon's registry (in 2023). Per a 2020 CCDL FOI there were 53,849 registered assault weapons and 2,663,417 registered large capacity magazines at that time.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:19:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#33]
View Quote

What does a "rifled barrel" on an "other have to do with it for the purposes of CT's firearm definitions and the AWB's? An "other" by its very definition is not a "rifle" (or "pistol" or "shotgun") according to how CT defines a "rifle", "pistol" or "shotgun".

Sec. 53a-3. Definitions.
(16) "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger;
(17) "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger;
(18) "Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;

An "other" is a 2023 assault weapon if it violates the following "other" feature ban added by PA 23-53:

(G) Any semiautomatic firearm other than a pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun, regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that has at least one of the following:
(i) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;
(ii) An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches at some location outside of the pistol grip;
(iii) A fixed magazine with the ability to accept more than ten rounds;
(iv) A flash suppressor or silencer, or a threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor or silencer;
(v) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to fire the firearm without being burned, except a slide that encloses the barrel;
(vi) A second hand grip; or
(vii) An arm brace or other stabilizing brace that could allow such firearm to be fired from the shoulder, with or without a strap designed to attach to an individual's arm;

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#34]

What does a "rifled barrel" on an "other have to do with it for the purposes of CT's firearm definitions and the AWB's? An "other" by its very definition is not a "rifle" (or "pistol" or "shotgun") according to how CT defines a "rifle", "pistol" or "shotgun".

View Quote

I think he's asking about Mossberg Shockwaves and the like.  I don't think anything changed relative to pump action versions, but I honestly don't know about semi-auto like say a TAC-13.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Had two stores tell me the semi auto (or pump) 410, 20, n 12 gauge Others are not affected by this ban because they don't have rifling. Just trying to get to sort out whats what.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#36]
Had two stores tell me the semi auto (or pump) 410, 20, n 12 gauge Others are not affected by this ban because they don't have rifling. Just trying to get to sort out whats what.
View Quote

The quoted "other" ban language from PA 23-53 is what it is. It applies to semiautomatic "others"; so pump action (or bolt action, lever action)"others" shouldn't be affected. However, what likely are affected are semiautomatic "others" like the Komrad; with their either a pistol grip, and or brace, and or the detachable magazine being outside the pistol grip. Rifled barrel or not is not a feature or disqualifier with respect to the "other" ban language.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#37]
Originally Posted By MikeOD82:
I think he's asking about Mossberg Shockwaves and the like.  I don't think anything changed relative to pump action versions, but I honestly don't know about semi-auto like say a TAC-13.
View Quote

Pump action Shockwaves are not affected. The Remington semiautomatic TAC-13 with birds head grip doesn't appear to be affected (but who knows) by the feature ban unless they somehow treat the birds head grip as some kind of pistol grip and or the forearm as some kind of barrel shroud. Doubtful that they'd treat either element that way; but in this virulent gun hating state, who knows. A semiautomatic "other" like the 12 gauge Komrad though is likely now an AW for having a magazine outside the pistol grip, and or having a pistol grip, and or having a brace.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone else having trouble accessing the online portal?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I mailed in the DPS-414-C (Rev. 08/16/23) along with a copy of the DPS-3-C with US Postal CERTIFIED MAIL
on middle of 11/2023.
Got the Green PS Form 3811 back about a week after.

Anybody else mail theirs in ?
Anybody get a response back with USPS issuing a "Certificate Number" yet ?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#40]
Originally Posted By Angelo:
View All Quotes

SLFU has already indicated it will be months before they process the AW applications.
SOME THINGS TO NOTE:
*THE LAST DATE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS IS 4/30/2024. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE US A
SUBSTANTIAL TIME TO PROCESS THESE ASSAULT WEAPON APPLICATIONS. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE
EMAIL WITH THE MAKE/MODEL/SERIAL NUMBER, SAYING THAT IT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED, THEN YOUR
APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED.

*PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, AND EMAIL ARE CORRECT. IF WE HAVE
QUESTIONS OR ISSUES, THIS WILL BE HOW WE CONTACT YOU.
*PLEASE COMPLETE THIS PROMPTLY. THIS WILL ALLOW US AMPLE TIME TO ASSIST WITH ANY
QUESTIONS. EMAIL IS THE BEST METHOD TO CONTACT US REGARDING QUESTIONS
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep signing in, but am getting a server error after inputting the code they send.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I keep signing in, but am getting a server error after inputting the code they send.
View Quote

The online portal has been offline for a few days now. Just posted a thread about it with the notice from SLFU's main page.
SLFU: Online portal is currently down for maintenance until further notice
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#43]
So last year in early May I purchased another four AR stripped lowers because...why not?
I know they have to be registered in May but would I need to build them into rifles before I file for the AW Cert?
Can I build a couple of them into PCC's?
Should I file for Form 1 before I file for AW Cert?
Can I file for AW Cert and do a Form 1 SBR after May?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#44]
@Me-ConnSM, ATF may ask/require an AW cert when you SBR/Form 1 a firearm. It seems hit or miss on which ATF inspector/reviewer will ask for it.
It is generally advisable, if one is going to build out an AW from a lower that was purchased prior to 6/7/23, to register the lower first as a 2023 assault weapon. Then build it out, that way there is a AW registration (either in process or approved) on file for the lower if one somehow runs afoul of law enforcement with the firearm/lower.
If you do not want to build a lower out into a 2023 assault weapon and do not want to register that lower as an AW then one would have to build it out as a AWB compliant firearm. Generally this means one of the following:
  • Semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle with a "Palm swell" style stock similar to a Flightlight SCR or FM Ranch Rifle.
  • Non semiautomatic firearm
  • Non detachable magazine firearm
  • A semiautomatic detachable magazine rimfire rifle with one feature (pistol grip), with a fixed stock, no flash suppressor, no threaded barrel (pin/weld muzzle break), no bayo lug, no grenade launcher
  • Some other configuration that complies with the CT AWB's

Edit to add: On another note the online portal is back online as of 3pm EDT.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#45]
SLFU has already indicated it will be months before they process the AW applications.
SOME THINGS TO NOTE:
*THE LAST DATE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS IS 4/30/2024. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE US A
SUBSTANTIAL TIME TO PROCESS THESE ASSAULT WEAPON APPLICATIONS. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE
EMAIL WITH THE MAKE/MODEL/SERIAL NUMBER, SAYING THAT IT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED, THEN YOUR
APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED.
*PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, AND EMAIL ARE CORRECT. IF WE HAVE
QUESTIONS OR ISSUES, THIS WILL BE HOW WE CONTACT YOU.
*PLEASE COMPLETE THIS PROMPTLY. THIS WILL ALLOW US AMPLE TIME TO ASSIST WITH ANY
QUESTIONS. EMAIL IS THE BEST METHOD TO CONTACT US REGARDING QUESTIONS
[email protected]

So, By mailing this in, (DPS-414-C) and (DPS-3-C) Forms CERTIFIED with USPS knowing that the SLFU received it on (11/2023),
Will they mail (USPS) a "Certificate Number" ?
If someone mailed all this in, does one still have to sign up on "Portal" also ?
It says above:  "AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE EMAIL WITH THE MAKE/MODEL/SERIAL NUMBER, SAYING THAT IT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED, THEN YOUR
APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED."
Note: No EMAIL was required on the DPS-414-C Form when I sent this in. Will this be Processed ??

Your Thoughts ?
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I submitted from portal, no emails on all my stuff I submitted.
they are pending review.
I called the state and confirmed verbally they had received them and they are complete and they were aware of the no email issue.

if you read the FAQ/instructions provided by the SLFU on their page, if you mail, you dont submit online too. if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:26:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#47]
So, By mailing this in, (DPS-414-C) and (DPS-3-C) Forms CERTIFIED with USPS knowing that the SLFU received it on (11/2023),
Will they mail (USPS) a "Certificate Number" ?
If someone mailed all this in, does one still have to sign up on "Portal" also ?
It says above:  "AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE EMAIL WITH THE MAKE/MODEL/SERIAL NUMBER, SAYING THAT IT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED, THEN YOUR
APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED."
Note: No EMAIL was required on the DPS-414-C Form when I sent this in. Will this be Processed ??
View Quote

DO NOT submit an AW application through the online portal if you have already submitted the AW application through the mail. Use one method OR the other, but not both. Same goes for renewing a pistol permit, use one method (online or by mail) or the other, not both.

When using the mail in method for AW registration; SLFU generally will, eventually, mail back (using USPS) the approved half of the AW application form with the certificate number stamped/printed on it.

If you use the online portal to apply you are supposed to get an email notification of the AW application being submitted. Currently the system is hit or miss on sending that initial email. When using the online portal method of registration one should screen capture the submitted AW registration just in case.

If you use the mail in method you do not get an email notification of the AW application being submitted. Keep any record of that mailing on hand as proof you mailed in the AW application prior to May 1, 2024.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quick question.  I need to fill out a “sworn affidavit that the specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.”
Is there any further guidance on what needs to be included?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

If the number was one, it'd be one too many.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By manac:
Quick question.  I need to fill out a “sworn affidavit that the specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.”
Is there any further guidance on what needs to be included?
View Quote

I found an affidavit for that I used back in 2013.  I'm probably going to just edit the .pdf with the correct dates and use it again if DPS doesn't provide one...

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top