Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2009 2:28:25 PM EDT
What are the implications of someone from out of state buying a gun at an Indiana Flea Market from a private citizen (non-dealer)?
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The firearm will have to be transferred through an FFL.

Is that for a long gun also? And what be the repercussions of not doing so?
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that for a long gun also? And what be the repercussions of not doing so?

Yes. Failure to do so is committing a felony.

Say a FTF in state purchase is made, and said gun was purchased prior in that fashion (out of state no FFL).
Any trouble ther? Is that gun flagged or something? Or is it just a felony while in the act of acquiring said gun in that fashion?
Just wondering? Im a dumbass on most things related to laws and such.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok, so in a realistic situation, you have a private seller in a flea market setting.  All he wants is the $$ and all you want is the firearm.  You give him the $$, he gives you the firearm, and you drive to your home state and have a locall FFL process the transfer.  The gun is in the buyer's posession prior to transfer, but the transfer is otherwise processed appropriately.

Will that work?
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think that passes muster. The FFL in your home state is supposed to keep the gun until you pass a background check. Then he hands over the gun. The gun is supposed to be shipped to the FFL directly and you shouldn't lay hands on it until the paperwork is done.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
It's just like class 3 stuff. Even though you fork over the money to buy it, you still have to wait until you have went through all of the proper channels before you can posses it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are the implications of someone from out of state buying a gun at an Indiana Flea Market from a private citizen (non-dealer)?

Ok, same question but with a new twist.

I originally asked the question because I was planning to go to a large flea market and yesterday I went.  Here's the twist - I found what I was looking for and the seller was also an Ohio resident.  So, now I had two Ohio residents in a position to conduct the transaction in Indiana.

I still didn't buy the gun, but after reading the responses I received here and my own research on the ATF site, I left wondering again what is right?  Now what is the answer?  Back to ATF.gov I guess.

By the way, the gun was a Remington 1100 shotgun and I wasn't convinced the price / condition / choke was right.  This particular one was a 20GA in decent shape, definitely not like new and had a modified choke barrel.  I want to use it as another sporting clays gun.  The guy wanted $425.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm willing to bet there are a staggering amount of people committing felonies who don't even know it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top