Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2012 4:09:11 PM EDT
http://www.wyff4.com/news/30267025/detail.html

SPARTANBURG COUNTY, S.C. –– An armed robber was killed by a customer at an Upstate Waffle House early Saturday, according to Spartanburg County deputies.

The shooting happened at the Waffle House on Chesnee Highway just after 1 a.m.

According to an incident report, two armed men entered the restaurant and tried to rob it. A customer in the Waffle House, who is a concealed weapon permit holder, was also armed with a handgun and attempted to hold the suspects at gunpoint until law enforcement could arrive, deputies said.

Deputies said one of the robbery suspects pointed his gun at the customer, and the customer then shot the man, who died on the scene.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/30267025/detail.html#ixzz1k932Vsdp

The suspect has been identified by the Spartanburg County coroner as 19-year-old Dante Lamont Williams. of Roebuck, SC.

An autopsy was scheduled for later on Saturday.

According to officials, the other suspect is still on the loose.

The Spartanburg County Violent Crimes Unit is investigating.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said he made the decision not to release the name of the customer who shot and killed the suspect. Wright said he wants to protect the customer and his family from possible retaliation by the second robber who has not been identified and is still at large.

Wright said the unknown robber is to be considered armed and dangerous since he was involved in an attempted armed robbery where a handgun was used.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC.

The incident follows Wright's recent encouragement to citizens to get concealed weapons permits and to arm themselves against criminals.

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
First name is Dante? Let me take a wild guess to see what demographic he is in. And do they really need an autopsy to confirm the cause of death? Gee I'm sure the coroner will say GSW. Hoe damn hard is that?

ETA: good shoot
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Down here we consider someone being shot while committing armed robbery is dieing of natural causes.
The Permit holder showed a lot of restraint from what I've read. Still sadden for the family's involved in this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The CCW holder demonstrated the correct mind-set to get the job done. I applaud his courage and resolve.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The CCW holder demonstrated the correct mind-set to get the job done. I applaud his courage and resolve.

Unarguably, it worked out for him and we of course do not know all the permit holder was having to process.
Personally I would have considered both armed perp's a threat and would have tried to take them both out. But as I said we have no idea what happened, maybe the second armed robber dropped his weapon before running or when the the defender dropped the first robber. Luckily our CCW holder will get a fair shake from Sheriff Wright.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  Good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Bye-bye Dante'.  The Inferno awaits thee!

Aaaahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
My baby didnt do nuffin

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Good shoot.  One less scumbag out there.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good shoot.  One less scumbag out there.  

+1 on that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Why the hate? Dante was just getting ready to turn his life around.

Yeah, right!
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You seem to be taking this pretty hard.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Second suspect arrested last night.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) –– Spartanburg County sheriff's deputies have charged a man with robbery in a botched holdup at a local Waffle House that left another suspect dead.

Lt. Tony Ivey says 29-year-old Kenneth Jowan Craig was arrested late Saturday night and charged with armed robbery and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

Investigators say Craig and 19-year-old Dante Lamont Williams tried to rob the restaurant early Saturday morning. A customer with a concealed weapons permit drew his gun and told the men to wait for sheriff's deputies to arrive.

Ivey says Williams pointed his gun at the customer, who shot and killed him.

Craig is currently being held at the Spartanburg County jail. Bond had not been set by Sunday afternoon. It wasn't immediately clear if he has a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Good on Wright for keeping the CCW holder's ID confidential.  Hopefully the news media will not splatter it all over the place for all to see.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
good shoot.  It is a shame the second suspect is not being charged in the death of the other accomplice.  They do that in some states don't they?
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
First name is Dante? Let me take a wild guess to see what demographic he is in. And do they really need an autopsy to confirm the cause of death? Gee I'm sure the coroner will say GSW. Hoe damn hard is that?

Why does his name/race have to play a part?   You and I both know he is black,  why do you have to call it out?   I hate to play the devil's advocate but, we do not advance our cause by continuing the stereotypes (both calling them out and living up to them).
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
good shoot.  It is a shame the second suspect is not being charged in the death of the other accomplice.  They do that in some states don't they?

They may be waiting to slap that charge on there untill they get all the evidence together. They probally just did the quick charges to keep him locked up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Really??!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 4:09:51 AM EDT
[#18]
looks like a good shoot to me.

Is this the one just off I85 exit 78 (US.221) that resides in a no longer used Ingle's grocery store with a Mc Donald's and a Wendy's next door?
If so I have had breakfast many times there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Good shoot
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does his name/race have to play a part?   You and I both know he is black,  why do you have to call it out?   I hate to play the devil's advocate but, we do not advance our cause by continuing the stereotypes (both calling them out and living up to them).
Because in SC we live in reality.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Got what he deserved. Win for the good guys.
The ebonics commentary on the facebook page crack me up haha
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
According to another news story, "Dante" was felled by a shot to the chest and then a head shot.

His accomplice, who was arrested later that night, attempted to grab the gun out of the CCW permit holder's hand and the permit holder fired another round and the guy ran out the door.

The surviving suspect needs to be charged with manslaughter. "The hand of one is the hand of all".
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#24]
spartanburg is wild and has been for many years. I remember year last at this time. theres a WH at ex60 off 85. two guys came in late one night and decided to get everyones attention the minute they came through the door.  as soon as they opened the door they shot at the grill while the cook was working. missed him by a foot or so thank god. they got the money and left. never caught!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Scattered, smothered and covered.

(That is my me-going-to-hell sarcastic comment for the week)......
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem to be taking this pretty hard.  

Breaks my young heart.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes. In California the 2nd suspect would be looking at a murder charge as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes. In California the 2nd suspect would be looking at a murder charge as well.

Why?

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#30]
The person participated in an action that caused the death of another person. Accomplice to his friends murder.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Good shooting, glad he put him down for good.  Now they wont have to go trough a trial.  Save the taxpayers some money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top