Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2014 11:31:09 AM EDT
I have searched elsewhere and couldnt find the answer.

I am moving my daughter from Ohio to North Carolina and need to know how to carry
an AR. Can I have loaded magazines? What else do I need to know?
I have a CCL for Ohio and Pennsylvania that is reciprocal with NC.
Also if any body knows about Virginia as I will be traveling through.

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry your pistol concealed inside the car and put the other gear in your trunk.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks

No trunk
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Your CCW will allow you to have AR concealed inside vehicle with you, same as handgun.  Can keep mag in gun too, no magazine limit here.  Without a CCW, you have to keep all guns visable inside passenger compartment.  Can't keep covered as that would be concealed.

CD
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your CCW will allow you to have AR concealed inside vehicle with you, same as handgun.  Can keep mag in gun too, no magazine limit here.  Without a CCW, you have to keep all guns visable inside passenger compartment.  Can't keep covered as that would be concealed.

CD
View Quote

This is real wrong info. The ONLY thing a concealed carry permit covers in NC is a handgun.  It does NOT allow you to conceal a long gun in your car.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is real wrong info. The ONLY thing a concealed carry permit covers in NC is a handgun.  It does NOT allow you to conceal a long gun in your car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Yep. Clearly titled CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT, not WEAPON or FIREARM. Unfortunately.

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. Clearly titled CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT, not WEAPON or FIREARM. Unfortunately.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

The only way he would be right is if the AR was a pistol. Although, while it is legal, even I would wonder why you have an AR pistol hidden under the passenger seat cushion. I will say that NC is an open carry state. That stands for pistols and long guns. I would think that means you can open carry an AR in your car. I am not a lawyer, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Still poses a question for trucks and SUVs since there is not trunk to secure them in
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Still poses a question for trucks and SUVs since there is not trunk to secure them in
View Quote

as long as they are out of reach to the driver. Rear cargo area in an SUV, behind the rear seat in a 4 door pu, or behind the seat in a non crew cab you are good to go.

There is no law pertaining of transporting a loaded rifle / shotgun in plain view that I am aware of, however it could cause some questions.

Lastly, for safe measure, just keep mags with ammo apart from the rife.

in NC a CCH does NOT cover ANY OTHER WEAPON other than the handgun...
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's the law.  

D. Transporting Weapons

Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee’s accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is unlawful to transport a weapon (absent a proper permit) that is BOTH concealed and readily accessible to a person. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not.  
While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual’s purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer’s and the vehicle’s occupants’ safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to “long guns” as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.  
As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area (e.g., SUVs, vans, etc.), it becomes a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him/her to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of any vehicle to ensure that weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible, in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as drivers of any vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry ar's and other long guns fully loaded in a window rack in my single cab truck. In the suburban I will lay them in the open weather that is in the passenger seat or second row seat depending on passangers. Never had any problems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's the law.  <snip>
View Quote

And just to add a little clarification, here's the section just before the portion you posted:

C. Concealed Handgun Permit
Certain residents of North Carolina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow
them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11. No other weapons may be carried concealed pursuant to such permit.
North Carolina also allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed
handguns, pursuant to such permits, in North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.24(a). While carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified out-of-state permittees are held to the same standards as North Carolina permittees. Consequently, there are a number of areas where concealed handguns cannot be carried in North Carolina, regardless of the individual having a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Included on the Department of Justice website is a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” for carrying a concealed handgun in North Carolina. In order to acquire a North Carolina permit, an individual must apply to the sheriff’s office in the county in which he/she resides.

Section D handles transportation and the cloudy area of the definition of "concealed". Section D clearly states the permit for residents, as well as out-of-state permits recognized by reciprocity, is for handguns only.

Thanks for reminding me to read those again...had my CHP for almost 10 years, but have only been a long gun owner since the middle of last year.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And just to add a little clarification, here's the section just before the portion you posted:

Certain residents of North Carolina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow
them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11. No other weapons may be carried concealed pursuant to such permit.
North Carolina also allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed
handguns, pursuant to such permits, in North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.24(a). While carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified out-of-state permittees are held to the same standards as North Carolina permittees. Consequently, there are a number of areas where concealed handguns cannot be carried in North Carolina, regardless of the individual having a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Included on the Department of Justice website is a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” for carrying a concealed handgun in North Carolina. In order to acquire a North Carolina permit, an individual must apply to the sheriff’s office in the county in which he/she resides.

Section D handles transportation and the cloudy area of the definition of "concealed". Section D clearly states the permit for residents, as well as out-of-state permits recognized by reciprocity, is for handguns only.

Thanks for reminding me to read those again...had my CHP for almost 10 years, but have only been a long gun owner since the middle of last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the law.  <snip>

OP your CHP permit is only good for handguns in NC however NC is an open carry state so you can carry any firearm openly in your car or truck loaded or unloaded makes no difference.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote

I don't know where you came up with that but you are completely wrong a CHP/CCW is only good for handguns period in NC. OP NC is a must inform state which means that you must inform when approached by law enforcement that you have a concealed handgun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
OP if you have to carry a loaded AR with you, keep it plainly visible. I've carried an AR like that through several DUI checkpoints and even a traffic stop (rolled through a stop sign ) and have never had an issue with LEOs. Most just want to talk about target shooting, although there was the time one of them jokingly challenged me to a quick-draw contest.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, I've been corrected in my misunderstanding of the law.

CD
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll tag this thread.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#17]
So is that yes or no?

I carry a loaded ar in my trunk and my state trooper neighbor said that's ok
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So is that yes or no?

I carry a loaded ar in my trunk and my state trooper neighbor said that's ok
View Quote

Read the post earlier with D. Transporting Weapons.

They can't be concealed and accessible. In the trunk takes away the accessibility factor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top