Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2012 12:17:42 PM EDT
Can somebody school me on how he is considered the most lethal sniper ? I have not read the book yet but ever since that show losers shit stripes came out talk of this Chris Kyle guy has gotten way out of hand...
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hes just a poser, I meet guys who are way more lethal every time I set foot in a gun store.

I think its his confirmed kill list thats the highest. Most snipers (according to what I have read, in no way am I speaking from personal first hand experience) have an unconfirmed kill list higher than their confirmed. Hathcock had tons of unconfirmed kills and I know he did a lot of damage acting as an FO.

Chris Kyle (born 1974) is a former United States Navy SEAL. He is the deadliest sniper in United States military history, with 160 confirmed kills (out of 255 claimed kills).[1][2] These statistics have not been released by the Pentagon.[4]

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
160 confirmed kills.(2) Silver Stars, (5) Bronze Stars at least one with V device. I'd say he's definitely a badass behind the rifle. But to me everyone who has the nuts to put on the uniform, take the oath, and serve their country is a hero in their own right.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
HA !  Yes, I have met a few myself...

I have no doubt he is a badass but I was just curious how he compares to some of the greats from other foreign wars we have fought.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hes just a poser, I meet guys who are way more lethal every time I set foot in a gun store.

I think its his confirmed kill list thats the highest. Most snipers (according to what I have read, in no way am I speaking from personal first hand experience) have an unconfirmed kill list higher than their confirmed. Hathcock had tons of unconfirmed kills and I know he did a lot of damage acting as an FO.

Chris Kyle (born 1974) is a former United States Navy SEAL. He is the deadliest sniper in United States military history, with 160 confirmed kills (out of 255 claimed kills).[1][2] These statistics have not been released by the Pentagon.[4]

poser ?
Don't think so.
Walk a mile in his shoes then say that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
160 confirmed kills.(2) Silver Stars, (5) Bronze Stars at least one with V device. I'd say he's definitely a badass behind the rifle. But to me everyone who has the nuts to put on the uniform, take the oath, and serve their country is a hero in their own right.  

Agreed

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

X2
More of a hero and badass than any of us for sure !

Iraq WarMain article: Iraq War
Assigned to SEAL Team 3, Sniper Element Charlie platoon within the Naval Special Warfare Command, over four tours of duty Kyle served in every major battle of Operation Iraqi Freedom.[1]

His first long-range kill shot was taken during the initial invasion, when he shot a woman approaching a group of US Marines with a hand grenade in her hand. As ordered, he opened fire, killing the woman before she could attack.[6]

For his deadly track record as a marksman during his deployment to Ramadi, the insurgents named him Al-Shaitan Ramad (English The Devil of Rahmadi) and put an $20,000 bounty on his head then went up to $80,000 later on.[1][2][6]

In 2008 outside Sadr City, he made his longest successful shot, after he spotted an insurgent with a rocket launcher near a U.S. Army convoy at a range of . He fired a shot from his .338 Lapua Magnum rifle, killing the insurgent.[1][2]

During four tours of duty in Iraq, Kyle was shot twice and caught up in six separate IED explosions.[2][6]

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So do you care to enlighten us on what the qualifications to be a real man Are? And what are your qualifications?

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Just started reading the book and he is the first to say that his success is the product of more chances, not necessarily being the best.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do you care to enlighten us on what the qualifications to be a real man Are? And what are your qualifications?

Quoted:

poser ?
Don't think so.
Walk a mile in his shoes then say that.

Read the rest of that first sentence again and let me know if I really need to put a sarcastic smiley at the end of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
HA !  Yes, I have met a few myself...

I have no doubt he is a badass but I was just curious how he compares to some of the greats from other foreign wars we have fought.

Hathcock was 93 confirmed in Vietnam
Simo Häyhä killed an estimated 500 with a mosin and another 200 or with a subgun all in 100 days.

Top 10 Snipers in history
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Jeff was being sarcastic guys... lay off.

Chris is a great guy with a nasty good record. I know several people that know and work with him and they have all had nothing but good things to say about him. I wish I had the time and money to go out to TX and take his precision rifle class.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a big difference between a sniper placed in a remote place taking out one target, and a sniper in an urban area with hundreds of targets walking around per week.

This war in Iraq and Afghanistan was very up close and personal.  While the first gulf war was fought mostly from a distance using aircraft and artillery.   So any sniper, as good as they are, would have a much higher chance of racking up significant body counts due to the fact that there were way more targets wandering around.

He is still a badass in his own right and I appreciate his service.  But body count shouldn't be the only measure of a good sniper.  Trade craft, stalking, and precision should be held the highest in my opinion.  

If he was shot twice he may have not been the best at staying out of sight and covering his muzzle signature.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If he was shot twice he may have not been the best at staying out of sight and covering his muzzle signature.

I can agree with that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can agree with that.

Were the shots while in a sniper role or just out driving or in some other SEAL role? It's not all he likely did on those tours.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can agree with that.

Were the shots while in a sniper role or just out driving or in some other SEAL role? It's not all he likely did on those tours.

According to his book he did a bit of door kicking and I believe that is where he received his gunshots.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Seems like a good guy who has actually done all the stuff credited to him.........puts him WAAAAY ahead of Dick Marcinko!  I haven't read Kyle's book, I don't normally read very much that deals with SEALs.  

Thomas Plunkett has always been one of my personal heroes, along with Chuck Mawhinney, Simo Häyhä and Gunny Hathcock.  I've met Mawhinney and Gunny, both great Americans.  

Hadn't heard of Corporal Francis Pegahmagabow before.  Amazing bio, I'm gonna have to dig around and see what else I can find.

The list needs updated, however.  Rob Furlong no longer holds the record for longest confirmed kill.  He fired 2 misses and hit with the 3rd round, at a distance of 1.51 miles/2,430 meters.  Corporal-of-Horse Craig Harrison of the Blues and Royals made 2 shots for 2 hits at a distance of 1.54 miles/2,475 meters.  Furlong used a McBros TAC-50 and Harrison used an AI AWM (L115A3) in .338 Lapua, arguably a more accurate rig.

As a matter of fact, I think I saw a FOX & Friends interview about CoH Harrison's feat...........  Long range record
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can agree with that.

According to his book he did a bit of door kicking and I believe that is where he received his gunshots.

I know one he got while clearing a house to set up a hide IIRC. not sure on the other one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know one he got while clearing a house to set up a hide IIRC. not sure on the other one.

During four tours of duty in Iraq, Kyle was shot twice and caught up in six separate IED explosions

I'll pull the book up and see if I can find the two circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I listened (Audible) to the book when it first came out. so there is no chance of me finding it with out going back through it again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Seems like a good guy who has actually done all the stuff credited to him.........puts him WAAAAY ahead of Dick Marcinko!  I haven't read Kyle's book, I don't normally read very much that deals with SEALs.  

Thomas Plunkett has always been one of my personal heroes, along with Chuck Mawhinney, Simo Häyhä and Gunny Hathcock.  I've met Mawhinney and Gunny, both great Americans.  

Hadn't heard of Corporal Francis Pegahmagabow before.  Amazing bio, I'm gonna have to dig around and see what else I can find.

The list needs updated, however.  Rob Furlong no longer holds the record for longest confirmed kill.  He fired 2 misses and hit with the 3rd round, at a distance of 1.51 miles/2,430 meters.  Corporal-of-Horse Craig Harrison of the Blues and Royals made 2 shots for 2 hits at a distance of 1.54 miles/2,475 meters.  Furlong used a McBros TAC-50 and Harrison used an AI AWM (L115A3) in .338 Lapua, arguably a more accurate rig.

As a matter of fact, I think I saw a FOX & Friends interview about CoH Harrison's feat...........  Long range record

Who is that stud in the video?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is that stud in the video?

Shep, you talk a LOT more in person than you did on TV...
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Shep, you talk swear a LOT more in person than you did on TV...

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I listened (Audible) to the book when it first came out. so there is no chance of me finding it with out going back through it again.

Shot in the helmet in ramadi. Page 438 and 443
Also shot in the back in one of his plates same page.

EDIT: while helping clear houses.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Shep, you talk swear a LOT more in person than you did on TV

Fuck yeah I do...........
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.....

Great book, everyone should read it.  Right after lone survivor....

I may be mixing the books up but isnt chris the one who later became a chiropractor? If so he went ti Life college when i was working there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.....

I may be mixing the books up but isnt chris the one who later became a chiropractor? If so he went ti Life college when i was working there.

That was Howard Wasdiin (SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper). Also a Great American and great book.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.....

You are thinking of Howard Wasdin who wrote a book about being a sniper with DevGru. IMO that's a good read also.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Yea that was him. Sorry to derail. I read all three really close together
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Yea that was him. Sorry to derail. I read all three really close together
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top