Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2014 11:06:12 AM EDT
So...I had a Surefire G2 clamped onto the left rail of my 10.5" (5.56mm) SBR and all was good when it wore a flash hider, it just turned the side of the flashlight a neat black color.  Then I screwed on a Silencerco muzzle brake and the first shot blew out the lens and the bulb.  No big deal, it was an inexpensive flashlight.

The lingering question is, what is a flashlight/mount set-up that will work?  I've got an AFG on the bottom rail and a BUIS on the top rail, nothing else but rail covers.  There isn't a whole lot of real estate to put both a flashlight and my hand and I've learned the hard way that the lens area of the light needs to stay away from gasses exiting from the muzzle brake.  I'm not the most up-to-date when it comes to all the cool bang-whiz toys and am seeking suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 sbr's and another pending. They are all set up in the same configurations as their longer brothers. X300 on 12 O'clock rail in front of the buis. Just move the buis back to make room. I can post pics if you need them, but it's a pretty standard setup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Use an offset mount and you should be fine. I use scout lights and have 1 g2x light.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 3 sbr's and another pending. They are all set up in the same configurations as their longer brothers. X300 on 12 O'clock rail in front of the buis. Just move the buis back to make room. I can post pics if you need them, but it's a pretty standard setup.
View Quote

This is how mine is too. But with a tlr2

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://i46.tinypic.com/v4b0qb.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys do to activate the flashlight?  The standard switches on the back of your lights, or a pressure switch?  I forgot that I have an old M3X with a pistol backplate.  I might mount that and see how it works in the 12 o'clock position.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What do you guys do to activate the flashlight?  The standard switches on the back of your lights, or a pressure switch?  I forgot that I have an old M3X with a pistol backplate.  I might mount that and see how it works in the 12 o'clock position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thumb.  

Seriously though. I don't like wires on guns. Never have. Never will.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My thumb.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thumb.  

Yup.  Just added the M3X that I forgot I had and tried it out.  Works good.  That turned out to be a pretty simple solution.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
a certain group of serious door kickers put theirs at 6 oclock on their sbrs, allows you to index or finger hook when you aren't using the light

admittedlyi don't currently have any sbrs, but on every rifle I have that's where the light goes
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm with IKH 100% on light setups.

12 o'clock position works best with the various types of cover and allows a simple setup with no wires and separate switches.

I've used he Surefire X300, Streamlight TLR's, IT M3/M3X and the Inforce WML.  They all worked perfectly with no issues.

Crappy pic, but this is the current setup on my go-to DDM4.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Picture below shows 16" barrel on left with X300U mounted at 12 o'clock position. This is also my preferred setup.

But it doesn't work for *me* on an SBR. I just don't like having my support hand that far back on the SBR. The rifle on the right is an 11.5" SBR with a Surefire M300 mounted at 3 o'clock and pressure switch at 12 o'clock. I don't like the exposed wires or the light offset to the right. BUT it doesn't interfere with my preferred support hand grip position. I'm still looking for a setup that works better for me.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm with IKH 100% on light setups.

12 o'clock position works best with the various types of cover and allows a simple setup with no wires and separate switches.

I've used he Surefire X300, Streamlight TLR's, IT M3/M3X and the Inforce WML.  They all worked perfectly with no issues.

Crappy pic, but this is the current setup on my go-to DDM4.

http://i.imgur.com/j43x1pN.jpg
View Quote

on of the reasons I don't mount at 12 is because that's where the ir laser goes for me,

not a3 or 9 guy because I like to keep the rifle as "thin" as possible

I realize that some people might laugh at me since I obviously use night vision and still have a white light mounted too, but there's been plenty of times that I've needed white light,,,, either in a hurry, or didn't have the nods handy.

its just a preference, but I set up all of my rifles exactly the same way for mounted stuff, its a cross between using what I know works for me and ocd
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
6 o'clock is my second favorite position. The only place that position doesn't work as well is over cover, but I try to avoid over-cover positions/shots when possible as try expose too much head.

If I can't mount at 12, I'll mount at 6, like I did on my SBS 870.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Picture below shows 16" barrel on left with X300U mounted at 12 o'clock position. This is also my preferred setup.

But it doesn't work for *me* on an SBR. I just don't like having my support hand that far back on the SBR. The rifle on the right is an 11.5" SBR with a Surefire M300 mounted at 3 o'clock and pressure switch at 12 o'clock. I don't like the exposed wires or the light offset to the right. BUT it doesn't interfere with my preferred support hand grip position. I'm still looking for a setup that works better for me.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/ft308w/IMG_1328_zps85a36a19.jpg
View Quote
I prefer to use the same setup as your SBR with an off-set mount... Kinda best of both worlds for someone who has long arms.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 this is the best way to set up a light on an AR
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Another +1 for this. I kept a TLR-1s on mine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I've really been enjoying the Inforce WML w/thorntail mount on my SBRs.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Thorntail

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top