Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 3:23:58 PM EDT
Anyone know or have done any wild boar hunting in lower Michigan? From what I hear the population of wild pigs are growing fast and I think I might want to get into hunting them. I live in the Macomb area so if there is anywhere that is with in a 1hr 30min radius of me that would be perfect.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Im interested as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I am also interested in boar hunting
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Land owners along the Maple river east of I127 are getting a few.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks it's about two hours from me, but i might venture out and give it a try. I'm going to have to read up on the hunting restrictions for wild boar hunting. Has anyone had any experience hunting boar?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot on sight during legal hunting hours with just a small game license, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Shoot on sight during legal hunting hours with just a small game license, as far as I know.

Thats what I got out of it too.   The only one I have seen was up by Grayling.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Paging 7M3...............

He left the state

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was under the assumption you could blast away with ANY hunting license...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the case. hunting turkeys see a hog, shoot it, hunting deer see a hog shoot it, hunting pheashants see a hog shoot it, etc etc etc. Also it does not count against your limit on whatever you are hunting (ie you can still hunt your deer if you shoot a pig) plus there is NO limit, shoot often and shoot early, LOL

Also I think that the DNR website has a place that you can report sightings and hogs taken so they can track their progression. They also have a map of where hogs have been sighted, which I think is in almost every county now, atleast in the lower 1/2 of the state.

They are out there but fortunatly it is not as bad (yet) as it is down south or out west. Unfortunatley as soon as you see the first hog, it is too late.

J-
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the case. hunting turkeys see a hog, shoot it, hunting deer see a hog shoot it, hunting pheashants see a hog shoot it, etc etc etc. Also it does not count against your limit on whatever you are hunting (ie you can still hunt your deer if you shoot a pig) plus there is NO limit, shoot often and shoot early, LOL

Also I think that the DNR website has a place that you can report sightings and hogs taken so they can track their progression. They also have a map of where hogs have been sighted, which I think is in almost every county now, atleast in the lower 1/2 of the state.

They are out there but fortunatly it is not as bad (yet) as it is down south or out west. Unfortunatley as soon as you see the first hog, it is too late.

J-

To add to this your tilling your ground see a hog and have a small game lic jump off the tractor and take a shot. They want them gone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#12]
From the DNRE website:

Is it legal to take feral swine?
Yes, if you are legally hunting game during an open season (of any type) and see a feral swine you may pursue that animal if you wish, following all the regulations of the open season which you are hunting. (Please note: There is an open season of some species 365 days of the year.) For open seasons and regulations, please view the most current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide.

What is the new law, Public Acts 69-71 of 2010?
The new law does not establish a hunting season on feral swine. Public Acts 69-71 of 2010 declare feral swine a nuisance species and allow for the opportunistic take of any free-ranging pig running at large. Under this law, a person with a concealed pistol permit (CPL) or valid hunting license can kill swine running at large on public property; landowners or other authorized persons can kill swine running at large on private property; and local animal control officers and law enforcement can kill swine running at large on either public or private property.

When can I legally shoot a feral swine?
Any time during regular hunting hours and when actively night-hunting raccoon, opossum, fox and coyote. (Please be sure to follow all day and night hunting regulations for the season in which you are hunting game. Refer to the current Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide for details.)

What type of hunting license do I need to pursue feral swine?
Any type of valid hunting license or a concealed pistol permit is needed on public property. Possession of either of these allows the holder to be in legal possession of the firearm associated with the license or permit on public land.

If I have a CPL, do I also need a hunting license?
No, you do not need a hunting license in conjunction with the CPL.

Can I shoot feral swine on private property?
If you are the landowner or have permission of the landowner, you may shoot feral swine on private property at any time. It is not necessary to possess a hunting license or CPL to kill feral swine on private land.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From the DNRE website:

If I have a CPL, do I also need a hunting license?
No, you do not need a hunting license in conjunction with the CPL.

That right there is a beautiful thing. Gold star for the legislators and citizens who helped them draft the law.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The 'just' in that sentence meant 'as little as', not 'exclusively'. Didn't mean for it to read that a small game license was the only license.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]
This is great information thank you all. I'm going to find that DNR site with the map of all the sightings of feral pigs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This is great information thank you all. I'm going to find that DNR site with the map of all the sightings of feral pigs.

Looks like Mecosta is the hotspot right now

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow I can't believe some one killed one in Macomb County.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Northern macomb is pretty active farm land.  Not surprised to see one taken in this county.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I hunt just north of Boardman (Macomb/Lapeer Co Line). We had a group come through and root up a swampy area. Never saw them but they made one hell of a mess. They will travel a pretty good distance, specially when spooked from an area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Buddy of mine said a 500 plus pounder was taken in Almont.  Thats alot of damn bacon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top