Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2011 7:42:17 PM EDT
Anyone planning on going? Tiny show but some decent deals at times. Mike's will not be there so that right there is 16 tables smaller. Hoping two regulars are there, want to see about trading one of my Enfields for an Arisaka or Carcano(decided to try and represent all major combatants from WWII with my rifle collection. Only got US, England and Russia so slow start). Anyway, if you see someone walking around with a Savage Enfield it's probably me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Smallest show I've ever been to-did manage to get my Arisaka-4th series Type 99. Beat up and cracked,refinished stock but it has the mum and the stock can be replaced. I think I saw 4 AR15s and maybe 2 dozen handguns. I didn't realize how much percentage of the show Mike's tables took up. It was empty without him.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Is Mike the dealer who is currently being screwed over a barrel by the BATFE?
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Don't know anything about that, but he's the guy that's at most every show with lots of handguns, and has about a 40 minute wait to buy soething because he's got so many customers and reasonable prices. He's from Iowa Falls. Apparently he told the people in charge of the M<C show that if they do another show on Labor Day weekend he won't be there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know anything about that, but he's the guy that's at most every show with lots of handguns, and has about a 40 minute wait to buy soething because he's got so many customers and reasonable prices. He's from Iowa Falls. Apparently he told the people in charge of the M<C show that if they do another show on Labor Day weekend he won't be there.

Aah, nevermind then. I read a few months ago that a local dealer was raided and has his personal assets seized.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in mason city and even I don't go to this show!  it really sucks and gets worse every year!
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I live in mason city and even I don't go to this show!  it really sucks and gets worse every year!

I used to go to every show, now I only go if I'm looking for a specific firearm, AND a dealer I know will be there has one. Then again, I usually buy from one of two dealers and can call either to arrange to buy it outside of the show, saving the $5 admission to look at $259 Mosins.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to go to every show, now I only go if I'm looking for a specific firearm, AND a dealer I know will be there has one. Then again, I usually buy from one of two dealers and can call either to arrange to buy it outside of the show, saving the $5 admission to look at $259 Mosins.

a friend of mine set up at the last show, said he never will again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think you are talking abour Gabe's in Williamsburg.  I haven't heard anything further about their situation and haven't been to a gun show in the DM area to see if they are still around.  Anyone have an update?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a friend of mine set up at the last show, said he never will again.

It's only going to get worse. At least two old timers(John Sieh and Fred Zirbel) were talking about at minimum taking some time off, and two others were complaining about the shrinking size of the show. John has been talking about quitting for years, and has already stopped doing rebluing(he was HUGELY cheaper than Ahlman's, with work that is/was as good or better). Losing old guys like him just might be what causes the end of the MAson City show. Mike Beaupain is half of that show himself, and he sat that one out too. They seem to increase table rent to the point that less dealers go, then they increase admission to offset the loss. That pisses people off and they stop coming, so they add another dollar to admission.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top