User Panel

Site Notices
Firearms news of note (Page 9 of 9)
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By NMwaterfowler:
It looks like the ATF GOONS will go to other states to make their straw purchases.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Anti’s Working to Ban Trapping on New Mexico’s Public Lands

Sportsmen Comments Needed to Protect Trapping

On Thursday, July 21st, the New Mexico State Game Commission will consider changes to trapping regulations which could ban trapping on all public lands in the state.  The Commission meeting is scheduled for July 21, 2011 at 9:00 a.m. and will take place at the Clayton Civic Center, 124 North Front Street in Clayton, New Mexico.

Two proposed rule changes are being considered by the Commission and will be debated on that day.  The first, the "Recommended Rule,” would allow public lands trapping to continue with a few new restrictions on trapping.  The second proposal, the "Alternate Rule,” would ban trapping on all federal, state, and other public lands within New Mexico.

http://www.ussportsmen.org/page.aspx?pid=2812

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 12:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#4]

Jane Fonda: QVC axed my appearance over politics

By FRAZIER MOORE AP Television Writer The Associated Press

Yes!! Finally, it comes back around to haunt her!

NEW YORK (AP) — Jane Fonda says she's been banished from QVC amid concerns about her political past. The network says it was a routine programming change.

Fonda was set to appear on the home-shopping channel on Saturday to promote her new book on aging, "Prime Time." But the day before, she learned her segment had been cancelled.

In a statement posted on her website, Fonda says QVC told her of receiving "a lot of calls" from viewers criticizing her opposition to the Vietnam War and threatening to boycott the show if she was allowed to appear.

Fonda goes on to say she is "deeply disappointed that QVC caved to this kind of insane pressure" and declares, "I love my country."

http://www.myqwest.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9OH016O1%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1016

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Iowa congressman, family safe after home invasion

The Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A home invasion at Rep. Leonard Boswell's Iowa farm ended when his 22-year-old grandson fetched a shotgun and aimed it at the intruder, according to a statement from the congressman's office. No one was seriously injured.

The incident started about 10:45 p.m. Saturday when an armed man came in through the front door, attacked Boswell's daughter, Cindy Brown, and demanded money, the statement said. Boswell, 77, heard his daughter's screams, came into the entryway and attempted to disarm the intruder.

As they struggled, Boswell's grandson, Mitchell Brown, got a shotgun from another room. When he pointed the shotgun at the intruder, the man fled into the fields around the house outside Lamoni.

Geeze a Dem with a gun, whoda thunk it!

http://www.myqwest.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9OHE2E81%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=931

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]

New Law Ensures Military Cartridge Brass Won’t Be Scrapped

U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R, OK), successfully added an amendment to the committee-passed National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year (FY) 2012, making military surplus previously-fired small arms cartridges available for commercial sale with certain restrictions. It also requires the U.S. Secretary of Defense to ensure compliance with managing commercial sale of spent ammunition.

Sen. Inhofe drafted this provision in response to the controversial destruction of once-fired military brass in recent years. Some military base commanders had arranged with ammunition manufacturers to have once-fired brass demilled and sold as scrap metal. However, the cartridges are worth far less as scrap metal than as reloadable ammo components. The U.S. Treasury was losing money since it was not recovering the full value of the cartridge brass in the surplus marketplace.

"My amendment provides a unique opportunity for the commercial sale of spent small arms cartridges,” said Inhofe. "This is beneficial from a cost saving standpoint. Having worked on this issue for some time, I am pleased to have made this progress. Those that care about Second Amendment Rights have put much effort into this as well.”

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox said, "It is common sense that serviceable and safe military spent brass cases are made available for commercial sale as military-sourced spent brass cases are of the calibers most widely used for marksmanship training and competition by civilians. In addition to being a revenue source for military bases, reloaded ammunition costs considerably less, and every gun owner and hunter can appreciate the savings during these tough economic times.”

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/08/new-law-ensures-military-cartridge-brass-wont-be-scrapped/

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:30:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rwehnau] [#7]
Village moves to ban all firearms from its buildings

A new sign posted on the entry door to Ruidoso Village Hall bans all firearms in village buildings by order of the mayor.

The only exception is certified law enforcement officers.

Mayor Ray Alborn said today it's his job to protect the six councilors sitting at the council table and people in the audience. After an incident last month when the police chief disarmed a member of the public who was coming to the podium to speak to the council, the notice is timely.

In a typed statement taped next to the notice, Alborn wrote that in his capacity as mayor and under authority granted to him by New Mexico State Statutes, 1978, 3-11-4 and 30-14-4, he issued the order banning firearms from all public property, except by certified law enforcement officers.

"The purpose of this order is to protect the health, safety and welfare of our citizens and to provide for peaceful, appropriate, professional and polite discourse and discussion amongst our citizens while they conduct business with the village," he wrote.

Under Section 3-11-4, the powers of the mayor as chief executive officer, the mayor "shall exercise, within the municipality, powers conferred upon sheriffs of counties to suppress disorders and keep the peace."

Under Section 30-14-4, wrongful use of public property consists in part of, "Any person occupying or using public property under the authority of a permit shall submit to a search for firearms or other weapons and surrender any firearms or other weapons to any peace officer, who has jurisdiction, upon request."
"As used in this section, 'public property' means any public building, facility, structure or enclosure used for a public purpose or as a place of public gathering, owned or under the control of the state or one of its political subdivisions or a religious, charitable, educational or recreational association."

However, part of the New Mexico State Constitution seems to contradict that authority.

New Mexico Constitution Article II, Section 6, reads that, "No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms."

And then there's the Amendment II to the U.S Constitution that states, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Todd Jones Named New Acting BATFE Director

The Department of Justice today announced the appointment of U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota B. Todd Jones to serve as Acting Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Jones will begin serving as ATF Acting Director on August 31, 2011.

A veteran of the Justice Department, Jones has served as U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota under two presidential administrations. He first served from 1998 to 2001. He was nominated again in 2009 by President Obama and has been in that role since being confirmed that year. During his several years as a federal prosecutor, has been the lead trial lawyer in many federal prosecutions involving drug trafficking, firearms, financial fraud and violent crime.

"As a seasoned prosecutor and former military judge advocate, U.S. Attorney Jones is a demonstrated leader who brings a wealth of experience to this position,” said Attorney General Eric Holder.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/08/todd-jones-named-new-acting-batfe-director/

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#10]
"Nobody does violent crime work like ATF,”-Jones

That says it all.

This guy is a real-live-polished-turd.

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 1:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nal] [#11]

Originally Posted By rwehnau:
Village moves to ban all firearms from its buildings

A new sign posted on the entry door to Ruidoso Village Hall bans all firearms in village buildings by order of the mayor.

The only exception is certified law enforcement officers.

Mayor Ray Alborn said today it's his job to protect the six councilors sitting at the council table and people in the audience. After an incident last month when the police chief disarmed a member of the public who was coming to the podium to speak to the council, the notice is timely.

In a typed statement taped next to the notice, Alborn wrote that in his capacity as mayor and under authority granted to him by New Mexico State Statutes, 1978, 3-11-4 and 30-14-4, he issued the order banning firearms from all public property, except by certified law enforcement officers.

"The purpose of this order is to protect the health, safety and welfare of our citizens and to provide for peaceful, appropriate, professional and polite discourse and discussion amongst our citizens while they conduct business with the village," he wrote.

Under Section 3-11-4, the powers of the mayor as chief executive officer, the mayor "shall exercise, within the municipality, powers conferred upon sheriffs of counties to suppress disorders and keep the peace."

Under Section 30-14-4, wrongful use of public property consists in part of, "Any person occupying or using public property under the authority of a permit shall submit to a search for firearms or other weapons and surrender any firearms or other weapons to any peace officer, who has jurisdiction, upon request."
"As used in this section, 'public property' means any public building, facility, structure or enclosure used for a public purpose or as a place of public gathering, owned or under the control of the state or one of its political subdivisions or a religious, charitable, educational or recreational association."

However, part of the New Mexico State Constitution seems to contradict that authority.

New Mexico Constitution Article II, Section 6, reads that, "No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms."

And then there's the Amendment II to the U.S Constitution that states, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

not really contradicting, it's like courthouses and similar govenment buildings where weapons are not allowed.... at least that's how I see it, since they are not saying anything about the areas sorrounding the buildings .......
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
What a crock.  Ruidoso, breaking State Law.  No surprise.

Dumbasses will never figure out they don't need to be protected from LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, it's the idiots that break the law that don't give a CRAP about the signs.

Ruidoso public buildings...another VICTIM DISARMAMENT ZONE.

-David
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:30:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mastrtech] [#13]
There is a city council meeting September 13th at 3:00pm that should be very interesting. Mayor Alborn has stirred up a shitstorm in Ruidoso and the surrounding areas. It will probably end up costing the city a lot of money in lawsuits before it is all said and done. A large group is planning to show up open carrying just to be disarmed and have there rights violated so they can join the lawsuit. This same law was tried in Santa Fe and was struck down. It will not stand. I have talked to quite a few local police that are in disagreement with the mayor and feel it was handled the wrong way. I do agree that city council meetings are not the place for firearms, but based on state law it is legal.

John

made the NRA news
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7075
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 12:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#14]

I attended a meeting last evening of an up and coming group here in NM. It is called the New Mexico Gun Owners Association. While following the main precepts of the Gun Owners of America, it is not yet officially affiliated with that organization. The main thrust of the group will be to develop, and present to legislators positive gun legislation that will further protect our rights here in NM, and bring us more in line with other states in the area of Constitutional carry vs CCW. I stress this is not yet a fully developed statewide group, the ideas are sound, constitutional, and in our best interests as gun owners and carriers. I suggest we watch this group as it emerges and developes. Here is the link to the website.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]

I received an email this AM from Rep. Ben Ray Lujan, here is his stance on the 2nd Amendment:

Thank you very much for taking the time contact my office in Washington D.C. Discussing critical issues with my constituents is important to me.

The rights of responsible citizens to own firearms should not be taken away. The second amendment of our constitution stipulates that "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I agree with this position and I fully support our 2nd amendment gun rights. When I took the oath of office I promised to protect and defend the United States Constitution. Please be assured I will always uphold its values and principles.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion on this matter. Please feel free to contact any of my offices if I can assist you in any way. I am very interested in your opinions and your concerns. To find more information regarding current legislation, services I can offer, or ways my office can be helpful to you, please visit my website at: www.lujan.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Rep. Ben Ray Luján

United States House of Representatives

NM-03

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Ruidoso Preemption Violation Update

Friday, September 30, 2011

This week, the Ruidoso Village Council voted to rescind Mayor Ray Alborn's executive order banning firearms from the village hall and other municipal buildings.  The order clearly violated the firearms preemption clause in Article II, Section 6 of the New Mexico Constitution, which reads: "No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms."

Link Posted: 3/7/2012 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Our neighbors to the North get it right!

Colorado Court Ruling

We can't let this thread die!
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree completely, with the prospects on the horizon we need to be aware of what is happening to our 2A rights!
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Governor Martinez Signs NRA-Backed Interstate Long Gun Purchase Bill

Yesterday, Governor Susana Martinez signed Senate Bill 26 into law. This NRA-supported legislation, sponsored by state Senator Bill Payne (R-ABQ) and state Representative Bill Rehm (R-ABQ), repeals Section 30-7-9 of the New Mexico Criminal Code. This code section limited the purchase of rifles and shotguns by New Mexico residents to their home state and contiguous states. Repeal of this law eliminates this restrictive language and will enable law-abiding New Mexicans to purchase long guns in any state, including non-contiguous states, and residents of any state, including non-contiguous states, to purchase long guns in New Mexico. This Act takes effect on July 1.

Link Posted: 3/7/2012 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Very good Fowler, glad to hear it!
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:51:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangermouse78] [#22]
Obama continues ban on importation of Korean Era M1 Rifles.

Story Link
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Katy Perry shows the Military and the M-16 in a good light

Her new video
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Western Pennsylvania Shooting spree guns linked to New Mexico

Story here
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#25]
New Report From BATFE. Like anyone is going to believe these corrupt assholes!

Report from USA Today
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Question... Of the supposed "68K" how may were "allowed to walk" by the BATFE?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 11:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangermouse78] [#27]
A Court ruled today that ILLEGAL ALIENS DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!

Link to story
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By benw8887:

Link to story

Yep too bad it took a court to say that... I guess no one sees the word ILLEGAL
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#29]
GOOGLE bans guns from their shopping results.
Story
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I wonder what that was all about, I was looking for price on a Springfield Operator and couldn't figure out why it didnt work. Thanks for sharing.  
Story

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rb1988:
I wonder what that was all about, I was looking for price on a Springfield Operator and couldn't figure out why it didnt work. Thanks for sharing.  
Story

Apparently they have since gone back on that and will allow guns and knives in google shopping.  They never disappeared for me though ...
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#32]
UN and USA agree to Arms Restriction Treaty
Story
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ7365] [#33]

Too bad they wont rule that its illegal to be in the country illegally
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Illinios Govenor wants to ban "Assult weapons"
Story
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Firearms news of note (Page 9 of 9)
Top Top