Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2012 7:26:04 AM EDT
Does any one know the equation of how to work out the G1 BC of a bullet? I have some bullets with an unkown BC, & before any one suggest's I cant ask the manufacturer's its complicated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask a man called BeerHunter on shootforum.com. I think he can help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#2]
There are calculators out there but you need to know near and far velocities or time of flight etc...

Could be fun trying it out... Chrono at your end and one at the target....

Link

Link

BC Estimator
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://tmtpages.com/calcbc/calcbc.htm

I used this one for some pistol bullets that had no BC data.  Not sure how good it is but ut helped me out when I needed it

That's a bit similar to the 'estimator' I linked to......
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Ballistic Coefficient = Sectional Density x Form Factor

where:

Sectional Density = Bullet weight (in pounds) / Bullet Diameter (in inches) squared

The Form Factor is derived from the shape of the bullet. For a G1 projectile it's 1.926

Form factors for other bullet shapes:

FMJBT blunt nose    1.739
FMJBT sharp nose    1.818
Lapua Scenar    2.160
SMK long boattail    1.961
SMK short boattail    1.869
Berger VLD    2.000

Is your bullet on here: Bullet database
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

where:

Sectional Density = Bullet weight (in pounds) / Bullet Diameter (in inches) squared

The Form Factor is derived from the shape of the bullet. For a G1 projectile it's 1.926

Lapua Scenar    2.160
Berger VLD    2.000

Thanks for all your input, No this bullet isnt on any data base at the moment as its still being tested. The bullet is similar to the one that the Cheytac M200 LRSS shoots but smaller.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where:

Lapua Scenar    2.160
Berger VLD    2.000

Thanks for all your input, No this bullet isnt on any data base at the moment as its still being tested. The bullet is similar to the one that the Cheytac M200 LRSS shoots but smaller.

A Shite Tac?

I dont know, ive never seen one up close, they say the 408 round is better than the 338 & .50?
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Hire out the U.S. Army's doppler radar at the Yuma Proving Ground near Yuma, Arizona ;-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
CheyTac haven't earned themselves a very good name over the last few years with that whole .408 thing.
It appears all isn't as it seems.

There's a guy on here from the AMU, Epraslick, Emil Praslick. He's a member of the US Palma team and a well established shooter in the US of A.

He was part of the team that was tasked with evaluating that thing.

The story IIRC, Cheyanne Tactical turn up at the range with their system and set it up to fire at the target at 1000yds.
They plug in the laptop, do some calculations and fire a shot.............it misses.
They they go into a huddle for 10 mins and then announce that they forgot to calculate the earths rotation , fire a second shot.......and miss.
The brass say "Thank you gentlemen, We think we've seen enough for today".
Cheyanne Tactical get their coats.

Then they say that there are many militaries throughout the world that have adopted it, when actually none have.

Then they announce that they will sell it to the US public, but only in a less accurate form than what is offered to the Military.......so the American shooting community do what they do best and round on them.

Needless to say their reputation suffered after that.

Rob the Diggle sniper Hunter had one built and 3 people from this forum saw him repeatedly miss a 6' x 6' steel plate at 600yds at Warcop before he packed it away and went home

I don't think I'll be buying one of those then!!

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

where:

Lapua Scenar    2.160
Berger VLD    2.000

That bullet database was just what I needed!  Cheers

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CheyTac haven't earned themselves a very good name over the last few years with that whole .408 thing.
It appears all isn't as it seems.

There's a guy on here from the AMU, Epraslick, Emil Praslick. He's a member of the US Palma team and a well established shooter in the US of A.

He was part of the team that was tasked with evaluating that thing.

The story IIRC, Cheyanne Tactical turn up at the range with their system and set it up to fire at the target at 1000yds.
They plug in the laptop, do some calculations and fire a shot.............it misses.
They they go into a huddle for 10 mins and then announce that they forgot to calculate the earths rotation , fire a second shot.......and miss.
The brass say "Thank you gentlemen, We think we've seen enough for today".
Cheyanne Tactical get their coats.

Then they say that there are many militaries throughout the world that have adopted it, when actually none have.

Then they announce that they will sell it to the US public, but only in a less accurate form than what is offered to the Military.......so the American shooting community do what they do best and round on them.

Needless to say their reputation suffered after that.

Rob the Diggle sniper Hunter had one built and 3 people from this forum saw him repeatedly miss a 6' x 6' steel plate at 600yds at Warcop before he packed it away and went home

I don't think I'll be buying one of those then!!

That Cheytac been on the "for sale" board http://www.offasrifleclub.com/for_sale.htm for quite a long time (bottom of the page).  It comes with .338 lap mag barrel as well.

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where:

Lapua Scenar    2.160
Berger VLD    2.000

A Shite Tac?

I dont know, ive never seen one up close, they say the 408 round is better than the 338 & .50?

Saw a Shite-Tac at Warcop being 'zeroed'. There was a large screen the size of a tank that it couldn't hit consistently at about 500m. Mousegunner and BunnyAssassin were there as well and may have more exact details, but needless to say the whole zeroing process didn't happen and these machined bullets were meant to have a BC of nearly 1!

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

where:

How does that cope with different speeds?
Some manufacturers will quote different BCs at different speeds for the same bullet, I can see no provision for speed in that equation.

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Brian Litz - (Bergers' bullet designer) has some info:

Brian Litz site
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top