Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2013 1:05:24 PM EDT
Anyone live in southern NH and commute to Boston for work?  Is it a total nightmare? Is 93 as bad as I'm imagining in the morning?  I'm moving back to the area shortly, have a job prospect in downtown Boston.  

Don't really want to live in MA, for obvious reasons.  I'm just wondering if doing an hour back and forth is worth it.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in nashua and commute to cambridge.  it can suck but if your employer is flexible on work hours you can make it awesome.  Its worth it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
That commute sucks !!

<<<<<<<<========= especially in a Big Truck.

I try and go early, 4.30 - 5.00 to avoid the hi-testosterone race-car drivers that are just dying to get to work.

At least the return trip in the PM is a little calmer, as they are tired and falling asleep!!

Please play nice with the trucks, stop-and-go rubber-band traffic is teh sukz with a 13 speed and 80,000lbs.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I do it every day and it sucks.  I use a commuter bus service to Boston, takes more than an hour in, like 1:15 but the way home is usually about an hour.  Any weather or major traffic problem and the amount of time is increased significantly.  I like the salary I make in Boston, but could never live in MA.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I did it for a year or so, total hell driving in.

The only way to travel
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on your hours.

From Nashua I try to leave no later than 6:15 AM and get back on the highway by 3:30 PM to avoid major traffic. Those times will "usually" keep the commute to an hour or less, winter adds the most. My schedule tends to be flexible though, and I don't always work in town. If it was my daily commute I'd hop on the T.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'm gonna look more into the commuter rail.  How long does the route from Haverhill/Lowell take into N station?  I only used to ride it to and from Winchester for Bruins games, or Orange line from Oak Grove.  Adding the drive to the commuter rail station and the subway trip to wherever, that's gotta be comparable to driving or a commuter bus.  Just less stressful.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Amtrack Downeaster from Dover to Boston a few times a week now.  Comfortable, affordable, and there is wifi!
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#8]
public transportation is the only way to do it and stay sane.  that way you can cruise the internet, do work, read, or talk on the phone during the commute.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife commutes to Needham from Windham, she leaves at 5am so the drive in is only 45 minutes, by 6 it is much slower.

Coming home she leaves between 3 and 6 depending on meetings and traffic, a very good day is 1:10, and average day is 1:30, and bad days can be 3 hours (bad days = Fridays, heavy rain, snow).
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm gonna look more into the commuter rail.  How long does the route from Haverhill/Lowell take into N station?  I only used to ride it to and from Winchester for Bruins games, or Orange line from Oak Grove.  Adding the drive to the commuter rail station and the subway trip to wherever, that's gotta be comparable to driving or a commuter bus.  Just less stressful.

From people I know who have had to do that, they say to have a beater car to leave at the station. You don't want to be leaving a shiny new SUV or anything in Lowell. Thieves know you're not gonna back all day and all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

From people I know who have had to do that, they say to have a beater car to leave at the station. You don't want to be leaving a shiny new SUV or anything in Lowell. Thieves know you're not gonna back all day and all.

Luckily my car is a beater.  05 Corolla with manual everything FTMFW
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
93 is a shit show in the morning. I drive down 93 from Manchester to Salem every day and the construction has made it a mess. Not sure how it would be otherwise. I leave at the same time every day and it varies quite a bit when I get to work. It usually is smooth sailing until the construction zone right before my exit (exit 2). The other day I got off at exit 2 and 93S was completely stopped towards boston. I cant imagine that's a fun drive to do every day at all.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to commoute from the Concord area to the Arlington/Medford area (its been about 7 years) I left early 0500 or so and got out of work around 1530.  The commute wasn't bad, except on fridays (especially in the summer)
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#14]
You should look into living somewhere in the Exeter/Hampton area and taking the train in daily.  Much easier and very relaxing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#15]
West of Nashua to Lexington for me. Luckily, I was able to change my work schedule to be 06:00 to 14:30. Traffic isn't so bad that early. If there was a train available, I'd use it probably 3 or 4 days per week.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
40 minutes west of Manch to downtown most every day.

The trick is to pass 128 before 6am, and it generally isn't bad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:02:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I live in Merrimack and work at Hanscom.  If I'm on the road by 0600 I can make it to the base by 0630,  if I leavve by 0645 I can be there by 0745-0800 depending on traffic.  Going home sucks, there is no way around it.  If I leave any later than 1630 it will take an hour and a half to get home.  It sucks, but I get to keep all my guns and no taxes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#18]
From Concord to Northeastern 3-4 times a week for school. I'm usually out the door by 5am or so. No traffic going down that way. And my classes get out at like 530pm, so no traffic going home either.

Even if there is traffic, I get off exit 33 (Fellsway West) and drive to the Wellington T station. cheap parking and the Orange line brings you right in to town fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From Concord to Northeastern 3-4 times a week for school. I'm usually out the door by 5am or so. No traffic going down that way. And my classes get out at like 530pm, so no traffic going home either.

Even if there is traffic, I get off exit 33 (Fellsway West) and drive to the Wellington T station. cheap parking and the Orange line brings you right in to town fairly quickly.
View Quote

I travel from Hampton to Northeastern a few times per week for work (and school), and as long as I am over the Tobin before 6 I am good. If not, it is usually only backed up on the bridge. The inconvenience is worth it to live in NH.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haverhill Schedule:
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=HAVRHILL

Lowell Schedule:
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/?route=LOWELL
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I do Windham to Malden, Boston, Newton, etc everyday. The guys suggesting getting through before 6:00am are spot on, unfortunately I can't always do that.

Its not so bad if you can do business from your car. I return all my phone calls during my commute. I ususally have plenty of time and it seems to make the commute go by quickly.

Northbound commute should get better when theyre done with the 93 expansion in NH (I hope).
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Commuted from Concord to Boston for 13 years. Driving most of the year varied from major PIA to tolerable. Get 1/4" snow in the winter and all bets are off. Parking $$ are  insane unless your job provides parking as a perk.Screw the commuter rail, parking is a pain unless get there early and there are too many stops. If you can take the bus from Concord, Manch or londonderry right to Government Ctr or North Station - faster, more direct and leaves roughly every 30 minutes (usually) In any case it depends on how you value your time, a 8 hour day can easily become a 12 hour one. Oh, then there is Ma. income tax.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I commute from barnstead to Boston. Timing is everything on 93 so leave early.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is this timing... i cant seem to figure it out!
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the morning traffic from what I've noticed seems to stem from the 95 interchange. If you don't make it to the 95 exits prior to @ 0545 chances are you are fucked. If I leave my house any later than 0445 then I usually hit some traffic. The later you hit it the worse it becomes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
If leaving from Nashua, or any points off of Route 3 / Everett Turnpike, try to take Rt-3 + 95 if you can.  95 South is a lot better / easier than 93.  Rt-3 is usually a breeze as well.  Lots of neighboring Boston towns / cities (like Newton, etc) are accessible off 95.  It is worth your sanity to find a job accessible from 95 S over 93 south.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I leave Dover at 6:20 and open my iPad .  Arrive at North Station before 8 with an hour's work already done.

Downeaster
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top