Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2008 9:28:49 PM EDT
I searched and searched, but couldn't find anything.

Are there laws pertaining to a minimum age to own or purchase a handgun from a private sale? From my understanding, it is legal for someone over 18 but under 21 to own a handgun. I know you have to be 21 to buy from a dealer.

Also, I if you can legally own a handgun, you can carry it in your vehicle while traveling without a CHL (law passed in Sept. 2007). Do any of you carry on your person while in a vehicle, and without a CHL?

Documentation would be nice. I would hate to get harassed by the police for doing something perfectly legal.

*Edit*

I just saw a law stating that if you have a military ID or if you're a veteran, you can apply for a CHL.

Question: How does this apply to the purchasing of ammo? (I'm 19 and have a USNR ID)
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no state law pertaining to age for private sales, so an 18 year old can buy a pistol in a private sale. I bought my 1911 in a private sale when I was 19 (from an on-duty cop, no less).

Here's the text of the law pertaining to carrying a handgun in your vehicle:

§ 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person
commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal
knife, or club if the person is not:
(1)  on the person's own premises or premises under the
person's control; or
(2)  inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle
that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1)  A person commits an offense if the person
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1)  the handgun is in plain view; or                                        
(2)  the person is:                                                          
(A)  engaged in criminal activity, other than a
Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance
regulating traffic;
(B)  prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
or                      
(C)  a member of a criminal street gang, as
defined by Section 71.01.      
(a-2)  For purposes of this section, "premises" includes
real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as
living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or
permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor
vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a
vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to
be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer,
camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with
living quarters.
(b)  Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under
this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third
degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or
issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I searched and searched, but couldn't find anything.

Are there laws pertaining to a minimum age to own or purchase a handgun from a private sale? From my understanding, it is legal for someone over 18 but under 21 to own a handgun. I know you have to be 21 to buy from a dealer.

NO. You can own at any age. There are some qualifiers if you are under 18.

Also, I if you can legally own a handgun, you can carry it in your vehicle while traveling without a CHL (law passed in Sept. 2007). Do any of you carry on your person while in a vehicle, and without a CHL?

There are some qualifiers if under 18.

Documentation would be nice. I would hate to get harassed by the police for doing something perfectly legal.

Texas Laws:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/pe.toc.htm

Federal Laws:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title18/parti_chapter44_.html

*Edit*

I just saw a law stating that if you have a military ID or if you're a veteran, you can apply for a CHL.

Question: How does this apply to the purchasing of ammo? (I'm 19 and have a USNR ID)
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]

How does this apply to the purchasing of ammo?

(g)  Notwithstanding Subsection (a)(2), a person who is at least 18 years of age but not yet 21 years of age is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(1)  is a member or veteran of the United States armed forces, including a member or veteran of the reserves or national guard;
(2)  was discharged under honorable conditions, if discharged from the United States armed forces, reserves, or national guard; and
(3)  meets the other eligibility requirements of Subsection (a) except for the minimum age required by federal law to purchase a handgun.
(h)  The issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun to a person eligible under Subsection (g) does not affect the person's ability to purchase a handgun or ammunition under federal law.

tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/GV/content/htm/gv.004.00.000411.00.htm#411.172.00
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How does this apply to the purchasing of ammo?

(g)  Notwithstanding Subsection (a)(2), a person who is at least 18 years of age but not yet 21 years of age is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(1)  is a member or veteran of the United States armed forces, including a member or veteran of the reserves or national guard;
(2)  was discharged under honorable conditions, if discharged from the United States armed forces, reserves, or national guard; and
(3)  meets the other eligibility requirements of Subsection (a) except for the minimum age required by federal law to purchase a handgun.
(h)  The issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun to a person eligible under Subsection (g) does not affect the person's ability to purchase a handgun or ammunition under federal law.

tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/GV/content/htm/gv.004.00.000411.00.htm#411.172.00

Thanks for the info

So according to this, I have to get a CHL before I can purchase handgun ammo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info

So according to this, I have to get a CHL before I can purchase handgun ammo.

umm i'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.. CHL has nothing at all to do with the ability to purchase anything.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I understand, I have to be eligible to purchase a handgun in order to buy handgun ammunition. At the moment, I hold no CHL, and therefore can't go to a store and buy a handgun or handgun ammunition. Don't you have to be 21 to buy a handgun ammo at Wal-Mart, Academy or any other dealer?
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From what I understand, I have to be eligible to purchase a handgun in order to buy handgun ammunition. At the moment, I hold no CHL, and therefore can't go to a store and buy a handgun or handgun ammunition. Don't you have to be 21 to buy a handgun ammo at Wal-Mart, Academy or any other dealer?

You do not need a CHL to buy ANYTHING.  You don't need to be elgible to buy a handgun in order to buy handgun ammo.  Federal Law requires that you be 21 to purchase handgun ammo.

Link Posted: 3/24/2008 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You do not need a CHL to buy ANYTHING.  You don't need to be elgible to buy a handgun in order to buy handgun ammo.  Federal Law requires that you be 21 to purchase handgun ammo.

It seems like the laws are taking me in circles.

- TX state law I can own any firearm at any age.
- TX state law says I can get a CHL at 18. (Military)
- Federal law says that I have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo.

With these sets of laws, I am allowed to carry a loaded handgun, but I can't buy ammunition for it. In this case, a CHL will allow me to carry an empty weapon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Federal Law requires that you be 21 to purchase handgun ammo.

Not quite.  Federal law requires that an FFL not sell ammunition to someone between 18 and 21 if they have reason to believe that they'll use it in a handgun.  If the FFL believes that they'll use it in a rifle, then they can sell them the ammo.  Also, there's no law against a non-FFL selling the same person any ammo.  There's no straw purchase law for ammo, so the simple solution if you're under 21 is to give an over-21 friend some money and then they buy it and give it to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top