User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Then more quiet, then the assholes started shooting guns and fireworks into the air. Welcome to Dallas.
View Quote

Your assholes to the east in Mesquite just fired off fireworks
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Was that Jupiter? I figured it was a satellite. There was some other little spec of something on the opposite side.

The solar flare was cool for me.

We were in the middle of town, there was dead silence, then applause and cheers across the land - literally. Then more quiet, then the assholes started shooting guns and fireworks into the air. Welcome to Dallas.
View Quote

The bright "star" visible was Venus.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Drove from Austin out 29 to Llano & then down 16 past Enchanted Rock to our place

We were smack dead center of the path & had extended totality.

Driving out at 7 AM was super easy - very little traffic, but noticed all the schools & churches had blocked off all their lots.  Lots of bright new "Now Trespassing" signs all around.

Several signs offering Pay to Park from $50 to $200.

Eclipse was great. Clouds didn't arrive until AFTER the eclipse went totality - darkness and then light resumed.  We had a great view & excellent time

Drive coming back was FUBAR with EVERYONE leaving at once.

Not much congestion until a few miles outside of Burnett when 29 became a parking lot.

Congestion added an extra two hours

LOTS of out of state plates. WA, CA, OR, ID, CO, KS, NY, CT, and many others.

When we rolled in at 6:00 PM it POURED rain down HARD in Liberty Hill, Cedar Park & Round Rock.

Tuesday has been huge heavy rain & some hail, so better the Eclipse was Monday instead of Tuesday.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
We ended up at the Pat Mayse West Campground, and it exceeded expectations. I wish we could've stayed a few days there. Clouds were troublesome, but they cleared up right before totality, so we got to see the corona. We busted out of there shortly after totality, and didn't really have any traffic issues going back other than the fact that Oklahoma has toll booths every few miles that don't take credit cards.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a report from northern New Hampshire saying that on the return it took 12 hours to get from the northern border to 2/3 down south, i.e., about 160 miles

Glad most of Texas wasn't having problems presumably due to the forecast.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Amazing last-minute clearing here in East Texas too.  What a sight!
Had a good party with the neighbors.
Very sorry if people decided to stay home due to the forecast.

Roads still look pretty good.  Small patch of slow on southbound IH 45 south of Corsicana.  IH 10 eastbound might be pretty bad going back to SA.
View Quote

@mPisi, I thought you two were coming over...?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:

View Quote

He should have.   The view from your ranch was fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Amazing last-minute clearing here in East Texas too.  What a sight!
Had a good party with the neighbors.
Very sorry if people decided to stay home due to the forecast.

Roads still look pretty good.  Small patch of slow on southbound IH 45 south of Corsicana.  IH 10 eastbound might be pretty bad going back to SA.

Sorry bro, you had invited but I never confirmed one way or the other.  Didn't want to travel much, we went for BBQ at the neighbors' party before and after (their own pig, I'm so envious) and then drove home to see the totality at our place.

How many people did you end up hosting?  Arfcomers from out of state?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry bro, you had invited but I never confirmed one way or the other.  Didn't want to travel much, we went for BBQ at the neighbors' party before and after (their own pig, I'm so envious) and then drove home to see the totality at our place.

How many people did you end up hosting?  Arfcomers from out of state?
View Quote

I had 60 throughout the day for the Sunday machine gun shoot, then around two dozen on Monday for the eclipse. @kramden @The_Dog @mah827 @jbntex attended, among other out-of-state friends

you missed some cool belt-fed machine guns, HK briefcase, water-cooled Maxim 08/15, all topped off by great BBQ
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Ohh, I would've liked to see that '21
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Ohh, I would've liked to see that '21
View Quote

it is actually a 23E in 5.56x45mm

and you would have done more than just seen it, I'm sure you would have ran a belt
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]

I had 60 throughout the day for the Sunday machine gun shoot, then around two dozen on Monday for the eclipse. @kramden @The_Dog @mah827 @jbntex attended, among other out-of-state friends

you missed some cool belt-fed machine guns, HK briefcase, water-cooled Maxim 08/15, all topped off by great BBQ
View Quote

It was an amazing shoot. I got to try out some really cool guns. Some of them had been on my list for years. The 1919 was really fun. My favorite was the Uzi with the huge can. like an 80s action movie kinda awesome. I wish I could have made it back Monday for the eclipse. I got stuck dealing with some work bullshit. I took a break long enough to check it out then went back to work.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm still amazed by how far this thing threw brass right and forward.  Incredible to watch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mah827:

It was an amazing shoot. I got to try out some really cool guns. Some of them had been on my list for years. The 1919 was really fun. My favorite was the Uzi with the huge can. like an 80s action movie kinda awesome. I wish I could have made it back Monday for the eclipse. I got stuck dealing with some work bullshit. I took a break long enough to check it out then went back to work.
View Quote

Sorry you couldn't make it back, but glad we got to hang for a few.

When's the next HTF lunch?  Last I heard, you're in charge.

We're here till middle May, then back in late June.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hrt4me] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

Sorry you couldn't make it back, but glad we got to hang for a few.

When's the next HTF lunch?  Last I heard, you're in charge.

We're here till middle May, then back in late June.
View Quote

I will see about putting one together in the next week or two.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#19]

That was really cool to see up close. I had always imagined it being more like a leather briefcase. The safety and trigger mechanism was really interesting.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top