Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2007 8:48:31 PM EDT
A friend (NJ resident) recently inhereted an M1 Carbine from his father (MD resident)
and wants to bring the rifle home to NJ.

What are his options?
Does he have to register it or more importantly can he register it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  He can't bring it here.  Registration was for a short period back in 1990.
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the exact same boat - grandfather's M1 Carbine sits in PA...  can't bring it here.  It's a named weapon on the banned list.  No amount of paperwork, begging, or pleading will make it legal to possess in this state.

Them things are dangerous, y'know....
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Forget about it...I loaned my to my cousin who got into some trouble and it was confiscated. I called the NJSP before they were banned to get it back and they weren't about to give it back. Those Bass-turds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what we thought. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You can apply to your county for an assault weapons permit, but they are rarely issued.
If the weapon is a collectabl or sentamental value, find a gun shop or trusted Friend/relative to store it for you out of state. An old friend of mine(he is in his 80s) was given his M1 Carbine by the US Army after he fought in WW2.  He had it many years. He wrote a letter to then governor Florio to take this gun off the proposed ban back in 1990.  He was denied the request(obviously), and was told to have it de-activated.  Mike was a WW2 hero, facing Nazis in Europe. He protected fuel planes when they landed.  He saw much combat.  He is also Jewish, and this gun meant the world to him, meaning it protected his Jewish heratige.  Luckily he is no fool to surrender his gun, It is safely tucked away in PA, at his daughter's home.
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You can apply to your county for an assault weapons permit, but they are rarely issued.
If the weapon is a collectabl or sentamental value, find a gun shop or trusted Friend/relative to store it for you out of state. An old friend of mine(he is in his 80s) was given his M1 Carbine by the US Army after he fought in WW2.  He had it many years. He wrote a letter to then governor Florio to take this gun off the proposed ban back in 1990.  He was denied the request(obviously), and was told to have it de-activated.  Mike was a WW2 hero, facing Nazis in Europe. He protected fuel planes when they landed.  He saw much combat.  He is also Jewish, and this gun meant the world to him, meaning it protected his Jewish heratige.  Luckily he is no fool to surrender his gun, It is safely tucked away in PA, at his daughter's home.

I thought you guys in NJ had a chance to register the weapons that NJ banned back in 1990 ? They didn't grandfather any of the banned weapons that were lawfully possessed before the ban became law WTF?

Link Posted: 5/11/2007 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You had until May, 1991 to render them inoperable if you were going to keep them. I didn't see the point. They was no Grandfather clause in the law. I chose to sell mine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]
How the Fuxx did they get that passed ??? I can't believe a law like that could be passed w/out a grandfather clause .

Link Posted: 5/11/2007 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How the Fuxx did they get that passed ??? I can't believe a law like that could be passed w/out a grandfather clause .

We're NJ, the Progressive State.
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#10]
In this state, those old tubular feed semi-auto .22's that held 17 rounds makes you a criminal. I'm dying to start shooting in local events (to compete against myself) but don't want to start lying our several thousand beans only to be told that I have 90 days to sell it to someone out of state...again. I bought a few Garands and know these a-holes are looking to ban them too...along with .50 blackpowders. MF's all of them.

The streets are being over run with gang-bangers toting M1's and blackpowder rifles don't you know...
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The streets are being over run with gang-bangers toting M1's and blackpowder rifles don't you know...

I know, you better watch out for those M1 Garands!  They can be used as a perfectly serviceable club when you've run out of ammo!  Don't gang bangers actually PREFER large and heavy clubs to small and easily concealable handguns?
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, you better watch out for those M1 Garands!  They can be used as a perfectly serviceable club when you've run out of ammo!  Don't gang bangers actually PREFER large and heavy clubs to small and easily concealable handguns?

M1 Check
M1919 Ceck
BAR Check
M1 Carbine NOPE!
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
My Jewish friend was told he could register the gun(amnesty), but he refused to register the weapon.  He remembered what the Nazi's did to the Jews after gun registration. He did not want to wind up in an oven.

Link Posted: 5/12/2007 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You had until May, 1991 to render them inoperable if you were going to keep them. I didn't see the point. They was no Grandfather clause in the law. I chose to sell mine.

I know of a guy that has a AW permit from the state of NJ. He registered his guns before the deadline. He is still funny about bringing them out anywhere as Im sure most LEOs and civilians dont know that a AR marked gun can be owned in NJ with the proper permit. Im guessing they dont run across them all too often.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know of a guy that has a AW permit from the state of NJ. He registered his guns before the deadline. He is still funny about bringing them out anywhere as Im sure most LEOs and civilians dont know that a AR marked gun can be owned in NJ with the proper permit. Im guessing they dont run across them all too often.

So NJ did give you guys the chance to register and keep your Assault Weapons ? I guess alot of people didn't register their evil rifles in NJ back in 1991.

Link Posted: 5/13/2007 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So NJ did give you guys the chance to register and keep your Assault Weapons ? I guess alot of people didn't register their evil rifles in NJ back in 1991.

Why did most choose not to register them?  Because, registration leads to confiscation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did most choose not to register them?  Because, registration leads to confiscation.

Agreed, however, doesn't the state already have a list of which guns I own?  When I purchase a gun I fill out a lot of paperwork and this paperwork has the manufacture of the gun along with the model.  So if i purchase a Bushmaster AR15, can't the state just check their files?  Why would I have to register a gun (assuming this is 1990) when I already own the gun and filled out the paperwork?

Ken

Link Posted: 5/13/2007 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, however, doesn't the state already have a list of which guns I own?  When I purchase a gun I fill out a lot of paperwork and this paperwork has the manufacture of the gun along with the model.  So if i purchase a Bushmaster AR15, can't the state just check their files?  Why would I have to register a gun (assuming this is 1990) when I already own the gun and filled out the paperwork?

Ken

Rifles and Shotguns are not registered under NJ law. Other than "assault firearms", there is no registry purchased by an individual. The "Certificate of Eligibility" which is filled out upon purchase is maintained by the seller and required only for sale or transfer.

If you owned an "assault firearm" prior to May 30, 1991 you had the choice to register it inoperable or get rid of it.  If you kept it and rendered it inoperable, it was mandatory to register it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ken

Rifles and Shotguns are not registered under NJ law. Other than "assault firearms", there is no registry purchased by an individual. The "Certificate of Eligibility" which is filled out upon purchase is maintained by the seller and required only for sale or transfer.

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
So if you had a Colt AR15 ( SP1 ) all you had to do was register it and then you were able to keep in working order ( the weapon was still a functioning firearm ) ? I know I'm a little slow .

Link Posted: 5/14/2007 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So if you had a Colt AR15 ( SP1 ) all you had to do was register it and then you were able to keep in working order ( the weapon was still a functioning firearm ) ? I know I'm a little slow .

No, it had to be inoperable. You had to take the bolt or firing pin out and store it somewhere other than your where you kept your firearm.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I believe that one could have registered an "assault weapon" and it still could be possessed legally.  Refer to 2C:39-5f > It says that one is exempt from the possession 1 of 3 ways.  
1. It is licensed pursuant to 2C:58-5 (good luck)
2. It was registered pursuant to 2C:58-12 (used for target shooting)
3. It was rendered inoperable pursuant to 2C:58-13
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What are his options?

Hypothetically, he could bring it here, lock it up, STFU, then take it with him when he escapes to a free state. Amazingly, the satellite that some here think sees through rooftops is apparently broken. Now that would be illegal, of course, and would make the Sturmabteilung, AKA NJSP, make a pissy in their drawers if they knew.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
THe worstis my mini 14, a 1982 model has been legal and illegal, my Thompson has been illegal and legal, my HK91 wannabee is legal and I have bought more so called assault arms since the ban...so there!
Oh and now I am exempt as the law was written to exempt LEOs, there is no lawyer than can fully understand NJ firearms law.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh and now I am exempt as the law was written to exempt LEOs...

That's the part I can't grasp...how lawmakers can rant about how Assault Weapons and high-cap mags are made only for spraying massive amounts of bullets and killing multitudes of people, but LEOs can have them.  

Guess I missed the section of police powers that covers spraying and massacre?

64.23.13.102/nj/harvey/2004.03.19.htm
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#26]
PK the AG has sent ount information, my Attorney has it. Stipulating that LEOs are not to be prosecuted. THis was current this year. Itis like the agreement that we can have temporary pmugs in magazines over 15 rounds. Trenton is such a total clusterfuck, and the Pols never look into anything totally.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]

That's the part I can't grasp...how lawmakers can rant about how Assault Weapons and high-cap mags are made only for spraying massive amounts of bullets and killing multitudes of people, but LEOs can have them.

WHen i finish my book you will see that the cops that break the law are generally the higher ups, they mostly do it for money, for favors and to protect their friends.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WHen i finish my book you will see that the cops that break the law are generally the higher ups, they mostly do it for money, for favors and to protect their friends.

My jab was aimed at the legislators authoring/sponsoring/voting for these bills, not the police.  

If they actually believe the "spray & pray" and other hype they spew in support of their proposed bans which include LE exemption, do they want LE out there spraying & praying?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top