Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

What do you mean by "It just seemed to be much slower than I thought it would be."?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What do you mean by "It just seemed to be much slower than I thought it would be."?

This may sound ridiculous but I was just expecting more action and excitement. I don’t really know if that make sense or is the correct way of describing what I was expecting.  The students that weren’t working directly with one of the instructors like me and were rolling definitely seemed like a more dynamic experience.  Maybe drilling or whatever you call it where you are just practicing a couple different moves on someone isn’t what I should see as the bjj sport/martial art but it’s all I have to go on at the moment.

Originally Posted By denverdan:

I was hooked immediately. Maybe try intro classes at a few schools if possible. Every school has its own personality so to speak.

That’s what it was like for me when I started archery, the first arrow sealed the deal and I knew it was something I would do forever. I’ll give some other schools a try and see if one of them speak more to me.  Given the proximity of this school I was hoping for good things.  Maybe I’ll even try just doing the first month out of a contract and paying the bigger monthly fee and see if it’s something that I do actually enjoy.  I didn’t actually roll so that aspect may be what I am missing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By blownfour:

This may sound ridiculous but I was just expecting more action and excitement. I don’t really know if that make sense or is the correct way of describing what I was expecting.  The students that weren’t working directly with one of the instructors like me and were rolling definitely seemed like a more dynamic experience.  Maybe drilling or whatever you call it where you are just practicing a couple different moves on someone isn’t what I should see as the bjj sport/martial art but it’s all I have to go on at the moment.

View All Quotes

Drilling is not dynamic, that's kinda the point, slow and methodical to learn the move.  

Stick with it until you at least roll several times, a good roll is dynamic, get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]

I didn’t actually roll so that aspect may be what I am missing.
View Quote

Drilling is a necessity to understand the steps and concepts required for movement. New students at my GB gym are limited to drilling and positional sparring until they get experience 3 stripes or ~3 months steady attendance.

Recommend you give it time and focus on the drills. Everything seems easy until you go up against someone giving resistance, so ask your partner to fight back progressively as you drill, from nothing to 90%
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:02:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blownfour] [#4]
Appreciate the insights, don’t get me wrong I understand that drilling is necessary, how else would you be able to learn something new. I just had the mindset of I was going to go in there and get smashed and it’s going to suck for a long time and while I appreciate not getting wrecked, when you hear from everyone that, that will be your experience and then your experience is slow methodical movements where you are thinking about things it’s takes you by surprise.  

Edit:  it most definitely did not come across as something that was easy.  While doing the drills all I could think of was how the hell do you actually do any of this against an opponent who is resisting?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone wondering why DDS broke up? The reason is master Ken

Master Ken vs. Danaher Death Squad

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well intro class down, don’t know how I feel.  Those of you that have been doing this continuously, was this something you fell in love with from the beginning or was it something you felt indifferent about and began to really enjoy once you got better?  I don’t want to say I did not enjoy the class, I did.  However, it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting.  I didn’t actually roll which is probably a good thing.  It just seemed to be much slower than I thought it would be.  Maybe I built this up into something it was never going to be able to live up to. I will say even what I went through was quite the workout.
View Quote

“Didn’t actually roll”? Maybe not for you.  If you aren’t rolling, you aren’t grappling.  How do you know if it’s for you is you sit on the sidelines?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:

“Didn’t actually roll”? Maybe not for you.  If you aren’t rolling, you aren’t grappling.  How do you know if it’s for you is you sit on the sidelines?
View Quote

I didn’t roll because it was a free intro class and the schools have probably come to the conclusion that throwing a guy off the streets that’s has never done bjj before into the hands of a white belt who may or may not be capable of not injuring said new guy probably isn’t good for business.  We drilled, I worked with an instructor one on one the entire time and we went through a couple moves practicing the motions on each other.  It’s why I asked if everyone else just fell in love with it right away and what their experiences were.  I came away feeling indifferent about the whole thing and I have no idea if I really experienced bjj in its fullest.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]

I didn’t roll because it was a free intro class and the schools have probably come to the conclusion that throwing a guy off the streets that’s has never done bjj before into the hands of a white belt who may or may not be capable of not injuring said new guy probably isn’t good for business.  We drilled, I worked with an instructor one on one the entire time and we went through a couple moves practicing the motions on each other.  It’s why I asked if everyone else just fell in love with it right away and what their experiences were.  I came away feeling indifferent about the whole thing and I have no idea if I really experienced bjj in its fullest.
View Quote

Roll. Our gym has you out there rolling 1st class. We keep an eye on new guys. No one gets hurt. We want new team mates.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Officially 2 years since I started training
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Competed in my first competition over the weekend.  Placed 2nd/15 in my gi division...got thrashed in no-gi.  
Many lessons learned.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m Biloxi for Super Fights with Empire.
No-gi sub only.  
My 17 y/o will be second up.  
5 guys from our gym competing.
Going to be a late night.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:48:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augustine] [#12]
Last June I started a GD thread asking about what to get my son into.  I clearly remember it was @denverdan 's response that led me to seriously consider BJJ.  I then asked him about the gyms in my area and he suggested I go visit one in particular.   A year later I'm still here.  My daughters started after seeing my son's experiences.  The kids compete pretty much every month and my son just won the fuji state championship in his skill/weight class last month (field of 9).  Fuji nationals are next month.  He got his gray belt a couple months ago and he's still a beginner of course but seemingly has some weird natural aptitude for this stuff.

The kids train 6 days a week, 1-2 hours/day  Part of me worries they'll burn out, but they seem to still have fun.  I only do 3 days a week, but I'm to the point where I'm clearly going to stick around.  It was fairly intimidating at first, as I suspect it is for a lot of people.  TBH if my kids weren't there I would've quit early on (likely never even started).  I'm the oldest guy in class and gas out faster than most, but part of me thinks that's somehow an advantage because it pushes me to at least try to focus more on learning technique because I simply can't just overpower everyone.

At any rate, I started in my mid 40s and am proof that it can be done.  Just keep in mind that you have to force yourself to push through the times when you want to quit or when something still hurts because of that thing the other day.  That part has been somewhat easier for me because my kids won't allow me to quit.  I had to take breaks a couple times (one surgery took me out for a couple months and work/random injuries take me out for a week here/there), but I do keep going back.

Also, any other 10p people on here?  It was sheer randomness that I ended up here, and I wouldn't have known the difference between Eddie Bravo and George Dillman a couple years ago, but I see things clearly now and I realize how lucky I am to be in this particular gym.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking about getting into BJJ to iron out some of the kinks in my game. I have good takedowns and clinch work, my offensive striking is solid (my defense, particularly my head movement, needs work), but my BJJ is fairly rudimentary. I know some basic sweeps, guard passes, and submissions, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:08:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#14]
They're doing a Gracie Survival Tactics class (for law enforcement) at a police academy in January. It's $1k for the level 1 class and $1800 for both levels 1 & 2. Worth it?

I put in for it through my department but I'm sure it's denied so I'll have to use my own time and money.

(I'm a 3 stripe bjj white belt and have been training since 2019.)

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
They're doing a Gracie Survival Tactics class (for law enforcement) at a police academy in January. It's $1k for the level 1 class and $1800 for both levels 1 & 2. Worth it?

I put in for it through my department but I'm sure it's denied so I'll have to use my own time and money.

View Quote

I've heard it's a good class.  If you've got a training partner, the Gracie Combatives videos are a lot cheaper and can help you earn your Gracie blue belt:

https://store.gracieuniversity.com/categories/dvds/GSD-GCDVD.html
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I would do it if you can. That program is basic but will definitely help you solidify your fundamentals. The basics will probably be explained better than you have ever heard before. Rener is a great teacher and developed the program. I’m doing the instructor course in Austin late November. I personally wouldn’t do the online version mentioned below if you can help it. Live training and drilling can’t be replicated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I had my first Gi class last night after taking about 9 months off. I was going to an mma school that was no Gi and just got tired of the meat grinder that it was and it was just that a bunch of younger kids getting off on flipping the old fat guy (me). I went to a Gi school a few months ago for a class and it felt very cliquy and it my style.

I am going into this knowing that I suck, oldish and severely overweight, ringing in at 320 and 6 foot 2. The coach was very accommodating and taught very well. I Ended up pairing up with a white belt about to cross over who was very informative, deliberate in his actions and I’ll be honest just pleasant to roll with. We went live and I was able to beat him only with my size and side control but I gave him many opportunities to get past me and I knew it. The next round was with my good friend who is a blue belt and the reason I got into it  he gives no quarter and like to play with me which is fine I need it but after 3 go arounds I was left wanting to puke from exertion.

This new school is conveniently located in my town and I hope it stays because with work and life I struggle to find the time. The plan is to stick with it and see what happens.

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

I have VERY little BJJ knowledge but I took GST1 through my dept and it was awesome. Totally worth it. Easily as or more fun than my best shooting class. Do it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:52:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#20]
I decided against the class. My department denied it so it's on my own dime and time.

As much as I know how beneficial the class would be to me personally, I was going to do it more for work purposes than personal pleasure; therefore I'm a little bitter about it.

Maybe I'll treat myself to some new gear and save some time to travel for some open mats.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

So we finally did promotions tonight after like 7 months in between. I went from 0 stripes to 3, not gonna lie I was pretty freakin stoked to get some pieces of tape on my belt. It honestly surprised the hell out of me when my coach called me up and said I was getting promoted to my third stripe. It did feel pretty good when he has recognized the change that I hadn't necessarily noticed in myself and my own game. but heres to all the blood, sweat, aches, and frustrations.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ElPresidenteAnRK:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/235856/65888877400__A184679C-2262-45F7-9CBD-E86-2170858.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/235856/IMG_0797_jpg-2170859.JPG

So we finally did promotions tonight after like 7 months in between. I went from 0 stripes to 3, not gonna lie I was pretty freakin stoked to get some pieces of tape on my belt. It honestly surprised the hell out of me when my coach called me up and said I was getting promoted to my third stripe. It did feel pretty good when he has recognized the change that I hadn't necessarily noticed in myself and my own game. but heres to all the blood, sweat, aches, and frustrations.
View Quote

Congrats!  I also picked up 3 stripes on my white belt tonight.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#23]
My boy and I both received promotions tonight. I am so proud of him. He's a natural.

And I was not expecting to be awarded my blue tonight. My journey only started 9 months ago but I've taken things pretty seriously and have invested in private lessons and training at home. Feels good to have all the hard work recognized by such a great instructor.

So stoked right now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:
My boy and I both received promotions tonight. I am so proud of him. He's a natural.

And I was not expecting to be awarded my blue tonight. My journey only started 9 months ago but I've taken things pretty seriously and have invested in private lessons and training at home. Feels good to have all the hard work recognized by such a great instructor.

So stoked right now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276753/IMG_3915_jpg-2199467.JPG
View Quote

Congrats!!! Blue belt is an important step!
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]

So stoked right now.

View Quote

Congrats and welcome to the club! Get ready to get smashed next time you go in by the purple/more experienced blue belts you'd had some success hanging with recently
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PhillyandBCEagles:

Congrats and welcome to the club! Get ready to get smashed next time you go in by the purple/more experienced blue belts you'd had some success hanging with recently
View Quote

The blue belt pool is much, much deeper than the white.
Tournament next weekend. Hoping for gold.
I've only placed since getting my blue belt whereas I was tearing it up as a white belt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

So stoked right now.

Also beware of the white belts that are gonna go apeshit on you now to prove themselves.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#28]

So stoked right now.

View Quote
Congratulations!

I'm still a white belt and I started 2 years and 3 months ago
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Congratulations!

View Quote

How often do you train? Did you take any extended leave from training?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my blue belt today.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Congratulations!

On average only once a week. Sometimes twice a week, sometimes I skip weeks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:
Got my blue belt today.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417834/signal-2021-12-11-17-28-36-548_jpg-2200623.JPG
View Quote
Congrats fellow smurfbelt!

@Everythingisawesome

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:
Got my blue belt today.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417834/signal-2021-12-11-17-28-36-548_jpg-2200623.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Gonna brag a little; I feel like I'm at the point where many at my gym, including my coach, trust me and look to me as a great person to roll with. I always took the term "spazzy white belt" seriously when I started 2 years ago and strived to not be that guy, and I think it's paid off.

I've been picked a lot recently by coach as a rolling partner for the brand new guys, including white belts and upper belts who are new to the gym. I'm also being repeatedly picked to roll with a couple of the guys who fight amateur MMA.

It feels great. Things are really starting to click  once I passed the 2-year training mark. Hopefully I can start going a lot more and I think my New Year's Resolution will be exactly that.

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#35]
So much for the new year's resolution of training more; gym was closed all week because of COVID
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

Another phenomenal seminar last night. Always stoked at the people that come though this gym..
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ElPresidenteAnRK:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/235856/IMG_3079_jpg-2241017.JPG
Another phenomenal seminar last night. Always stoked at the people that come though this gym..
View Quote

Wow. That's a hell of an honor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm so bummed. Dealing with two groin strains and a torn MCL. Will find out Monday if I need surgery or if we're going to try cortisone shots.

I can't roll for 6 weeks because of the groin injuries and going to be out for a long while because of knee. And I just made blue.

I really miss training 3-4 times a week. Not being able to train has really had an effect on me. Have some really stressful shit going on right now and could use the outlet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Checking in to this thread.

Today is day 2.

I dont want to go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SDSG:

Today is day 2.

I dont want to go.
View Quote

Get up and go. I never regretted going but always regret not going.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Today is day 2.

I dont want to go.
View Quote

Keep grinding

Everyone wants to be a savage, nobody wants to become one
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Today is day 2.

I dont want to go.
View Quote
go.

I often felt like not going but I never once went to train and regretted it afterward.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
go.

I often felt like not going but I never once went to train and regretted it afterward.
View Quote

My FIL is dealing with a cancer scare so I had a good excuse to go have a glass of scotch with him last night instead of training.

I woke up depressed and really felt like I let myself down. Climbed on the elliptical and did a solid cardio workout this morning. My first nogi class is tonight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#44]

My FIL is dealing with a cancer scare so I had a good excuse to go have a glass of scotch with him last night instead of training.

I woke up depressed and really felt like I let myself down. Climbed on the elliptical and did a solid cardio workout this morning. My first nogi class is tonight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By navvet89:
go.

Go train.  I wish I could, but I can't due to Covid and protecting my wife.  I can't risk contracting Covid and giving it to her as she has underlying health issues that would make getting Covid very bad for her.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDSG] [#45]
I went. I even went back again for nogi this week. I really prefer nogi to gi.

At what point do you decide if it is "for you"? I seriously dread going and my nerves are through the roof before class.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#47]

At what point do you decide if it is "for you"? I seriously dread going and my nerves are through the roof before class.
View Quote
I "dread" going to anything that will make me exhausted too.

That's normal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#48]

That's normal.
View All Quotes

That's normal.

I dreaded the warm-ups.

They were brutal and took most of my energy for the entire class.

Once the warm-ups were over, I was relieved and glad to be in class.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Suppo:

I dreaded the warm-ups.

View Quote

If warm ups winded you, you just need to stick with it.
I’ll save snarky remarks in case you stick with it and still complain!
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#50]

I dreaded the warm-ups.

View All Quotes

That's normal.

I dreaded the warm-ups.

Just keep at it until you get your purple belt. We don’t have to do the warm ups.

Owning the school helps as well.
Page / 36
Top Top