Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I think he hits it on the head about warm-ups.

Our school has some light warm-ups for beginners and kids classes that take about 5-7 minutes.

Advanced and no-gi classes and open mats is just stretching.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to learn some BJJ but am hesitant because of history of sports related knee injuries.

Would it be crazy for an otherwise (very) fit middle aged guy to train?

If so, are private lessons my best bet?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HoyaSaxa:
I want to learn some BJJ but am hesitant because of history of sports related knee injuries.

View Quote

Not crazy at all dude. If you’re in Vegas there’s plenty of good schools around.

I say no on the private lessons. Maybe after you train for a bit to supplement regular training but not to start with.

Just tell your training partners if your knees are bothering you. Know your bodies limit and don’t overdo it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ElPresidenteAnRK] [#4]
I see things this way it is easier to find an excuse to not go to class than there is to find an excuse to go to class from some individuals. I try to live by this tenant the toughest lift you will ever do is your ass off the couch. Hell my school for a .mil member is 120 a month which is pretty good by itself that 120 is for as many classes as you want. First I honestly do love to train at my school it is welcoming, Nestor is a bad ass dude, and I have fun. But, even so I try to make it to as many classes as humanly possible my minimum in my head was going to be 2 classes a week. Currently I go to 4 - 5 classes a week mainly because I am paying for it, and I enjoy it. lets call it 4 classes a week that's 16 classes a month that's like 7.50 a class if I was able to get 20 classes a month which if I went Monday through Saturday would be 6 classes a week or 24 a month id be paying 5 bucks a class.

Circling back sometimes its easier to give in and not go. I'd encourage anyone and everyone to try a class to see if it fits them. Those that are finding it hard to train I say this for things you actually want to do you find/make the time not excuses.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

No private lessons.  You’ll never be ready.  Just roll.
I started at 48 with preexisting injuries  
injuries. I do well in tournaments and train 2/4 days a week.
Older guys don’t train or roll like the youngin’s.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ElPresidenteAnRK:
I see things this way it is easier to find an excuse to not go to class than there is to find an excuse to go to class from some individuals. I try to live by this tenant the toughest lift you will ever do is your ass off the couch. Hell my school for a .mil member is 120 a month which is pretty good by itself that 120 is for as many classes as you want. First I honestly do love to train at my school it is welcoming, Nestor is a bad ass dude, and I have fun. But, even so I try to make it to as many classes as humanly possible my minimum in my head was going to be 2 classes a week. Currently I go to 4 - 5 classes a week mainly because I am paying for it, and I enjoy it. lets call it 4 classes a week that's 16 classes a month that's like 7.50 a class if I was able to get 20 classes a month which if I went Monday through Saturday would be 6 classes a week or 24 a month id be paying 5 bucks a class.

Circling back sometimes its easier to give in and not go. I'd encourage anyone and everyone to try a class to see if it fits them. Those that are finding it hard to train I say this for things you actually want to do you find/make the time not excuses.
View Quote

That’s good advice but I’m far from undisciplined / sitting on the couch.

Really just trying to gauge re-injury risk so that I can avoid more surgeries. I swear!

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:

No private lessons.  You’ll never be ready.  Just roll.
I started at 48 with preexisting injuries  
injuries. I do well in tournaments and train 2/4 days a week.
Older guys don’t train or roll like the youngin’s.
View Quote

+1

Started in my late 20s, approaching 40 now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]

That's good advice but I'm far from undisciplined / sitting on the couch.

Really just trying to gauge re-injury risk so that I can avoid more surgeries. I swear!

View Quote
Not a comment necessarily directed at you. I know plenty of people who are perfectly abled but can find any excuse under the sun to not train.. like anything. there are some people who claim they dont squat because of knee problems, my knees used to sound like sandpaper rubbing together before I started squatting on the reg. My statement was merely there are some who choose not to train because they let their excuses get in the way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Don’t worry about your knee.  I am 48 with a very bad left knee.  

I am just very protective of it.  Tell your partner you have a bad knee, tap early with it, etc.

Don’t start standing up with a 20 year old, 300 lb blue belt.   Ask me how I know!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

Don't worry about your knee.  I am 48 with a very bad left knee.  

I am just very protective of it. Tell your partner you have a bad knee, tap early with it, etc.

Don't start standing up with a 20 year old, 300 lb blue belt.   Ask me how I know!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

Don't worry about your knee.  I am 48 with a very bad left knee.  

I am just very protective of it. Tell your partner you have a bad knee, tap early with it, etc.

Don't start standing up with a 20 year old, 300 lb blue belt.   Ask me how I know!!
This times 1000. As long as you arent rolling with a douche canoe most people are respectful of whatever issues you might be rolling with. I would say go to classes and train (typically drilling is less dynamic than open mats at the end of class) and stay away from open mats at the end due to the dynamic nature of open mat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:
I think he hits it on the head about warm-ups.

Our school has some light warm-ups for beginners and kids classes that take about 5-7 minutes.

Advanced and no-gi classes and open mats is just stretching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX4n8MTM-U
View Quote
Perfect video and exactly how I feel on the subject.

My professor falls into that old school mentality of tiring out students first so they learn not to use muscle for the following drilling and rolling sessions. I wouldn't be surprised if he watched us and considered our effort during warmups for promotions
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree, warming up isn’t the greatest. I’m only a 1 stripe white belt so take my opinions with some salt. When we do a jog, inside shuffle, karaoke, etc. I get nothing out if it, except lost mat time. Not big on stretching either, my opinion is that if you need to stretch prior to class, get there 10mins early and stretch.

The only worthwhile warmups we ever do is when we do kimora situps or something like that.

But I’m also there 45mins early, so I’m warm before class starts anyway.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

This past Saturday I leveled up to 4 stripes. I am sniffing at the door to blue. I go 4 to 5 times a week and I am loving it. Honestly BJJ could not have been more a lifesaver than it already has been. There are totally days where I get too in my own head about things but I have never said, "Man I really wish I hadn't gone to class." I love the atmosphere my religion has really changed . Side note Nestor is a friggin legit dude, been doing my research hes the highest degree black belt under Luiz Palhares. My only regrets are I didnt start sooner and at some point ill have to PCS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

So beginning of June I totally leveled up. Ill tell you that going 4 times a week and trying to throw a lot of focus into Jiu Jitsu on top of Marine Corps bullshit, college bullshit and family life has not exactly been easy. However, I will tell you the level my game was a year ago pales in comparison. Of course I also am acknowledging the fact I am of course still learning and in no way will let the promotion inflate my ego and make me think I am any better than anyone else. Similar to football on any given Sunday you are going to win or lose. In any given roll you are going to tap someone or be tapped you dont win or lose you only learn.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickPapagiorgio] [#15]
Originally Posted By ElPresidenteAnRK:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/235856/IMG_5608_JPEG-2422273.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/235856/IMG_8323_jpg-2422275.JPG
So beginning of June I totally leveled up. Ill tell you that going 4 times a week and trying to throw a lot of focus into Jiu Jitsu on top of Marine Corps bullshit, college bullshit and family life has not exactly been easy. However, I will tell you the level my game was a year ago pales in comparison. Of course I also am acknowledging the fact I am of course still learning and in no way will let the promotion inflate my ego and make me think I am any better than anyone else. Similar to football on any given Sunday you are going to win or lose. In any given roll you are going to tap someone or be tapped you dont win or lose you only learn.
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-man-jiu-jitsu-black-belt-pins-alleged-thief-7-eleven
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Signed up last week for my first competition…we will see how this goes
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:58:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Use_the_2nd] [#18]
Originally Posted By Use_the_2nd:
Signed up last week for my first competition…we will see how this goes
View Quote

Lost by points. Made a huge mistake by not managing my weight before hand, last night I weighed in 5 lbs over. Didn’t have any food or water for 16 or so hours.

First match I pulled guard and it pretty much stalled there until I tried a butterfly sweep and he stepped over and took my back. Managed to get out and get back into guard.  Second match He attempted a takedown, I pulled gaurd and he was awarded points, I had a deep Ezekiel choke from guard and could hear the guy struggling/gurgling, i over exerted myself and my grips failed me.

Definitely going to drill sweeps from guard, before the next comp. Also quit relying on my size/strength as much and focus on being technical
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Lost by points. Made a huge mistake by not managing my weight before hand, last night I weighed in 5 lbs over. Didn’t have any food or water for 16 or so hours.

First match I pulled guard and it pretty much stalled there until I tried a butterfly sweep and he stepped over and took my back. Managed to get out and get back into guard.  Second match He attempted a takedown, I pulled gaurd and he was awarded points, I had a deep Ezekiel choke from guard and could hear the guy struggling/gurgling, i over exerted myself and my grips failed me.

Definitely going to drill sweeps from guard, before the next comp. Also quit relying on my size/strength as much and focus on being technical
View Quote

Lessons learned.

I got subbed by triangle choke three times in my first no-gi competition.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:46:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ47] [#20]
My first comp (four stripe white belt) is Sunday. So far I have a minimum of 8 matches, with a chance of up to 11 if I go to the finals/semi-finals.

My wife is going as well to record my matches so I can learn from my inevitable mistakes. I'll post back Sunday night or Monday with the results. My coach thinks I'm going to do pretty well, but I've got pretty low fight IQ
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CJ47:
My first comp (four stripe white belt) is Sunday. So far I have a minimum of 8 matches, with a chance of up to 11 if I go to the finals/semi-finals.

My wife is going as well to record my matches so I can learn from my inevitable mistakes. I'll post back Sunday night or Monday with the results. My coach thinks I'm going to do pretty well, but I've got pretty low fight IQ
View Quote

So just got home from my competition. I had 3 Gi and 3 no gi matches. I lost all Gi matches by points. Lost 2 no gi by submission and won a no gi by submission.

My takeaways:
1) I need to get better at escaping side control
2) Learn the point system better - there was an instance where I passed guard but for a reason unknown to me I was not awarded points. I’m sure the ref had a good reason, but I would like to know so I can avoid that in the future.
3) Be more aggressive. I was simply the least aggressive guy in my division. I’m too friendly, and that’s the wrong attitude for competing.

All in all I had a blast, learned a lot about my Jiu Jitsu, my strengths and weaknesses, and got to spend a day doing what I love surrounded by friends. All my opponents were super nice and I enjoyed rolling with each of them. I feel much more prepared for the next time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#22]
My takeaways:
3) Be more aggressive. I was simply the least aggressive guy in my division. I’m too friendly, and that’s the wrong attitude for competing.
View Quote

Yep.  Winning fights is all about aggression.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Bumping this, so many many months ago I took a trial class at the local place to me and had mentioned in this thread that I felt underwhelmed by the whole thing.  Many comments spoke to the fact that I needed to actually spar to get a feel for what it’s actually like.  Well life finally got out of the way and I had my first real class today.  

I was a bit worried as I had just said screw it and signed both my son and I up for six months, well, fortunately it was incredible.  I am definitely hooked.  I didn’t get man handled as bad as I thought I would but I contribute that solely to my athleticism over many of the other white belts I rolled with.  Both blue belts I rolled with were awesome as they let me kind of do whatever idiotic shit I wanted to and just went with it.

A couple of things are very apperent to me, I need to find some sort of flexibility routine. I also need to wear some sort of compression pants/shirt under my gi.  Just wearing a T-shirt and underwear the mat/gi burn is brutal.  The shower after when I got home was not fun.  

Overall I really wish I had not been such a bitch about this whole thing and signed up years ago when I first thought about doing this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 12:21:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#24]
Originally Posted By blownfour:
Bumping this, so many many months ago I took a trial class at the local place to me and had mentioned in this thread that I felt underwhelmed by the whole thing.  Many comments spoke to the fact that I needed to actually spar to get a feel for what it’s actually like.  Well life finally got out of the way and I had my first real class today.  

I was a bit worried as I had just said screw it and signed both my son and I up for six months, well, fortunately it was incredible.  I am definitely hooked.  I didn’t get man handled as bad as I thought I would but I contribute that solely to my athleticism over many of the other white belts I rolled with.  Both blue belts I rolled with were awesome as they let me kind of do whatever idiotic shit I wanted to and just went with it.

A couple of things are very apperent to me, I need to find some sort of flexibility routine. I also need to wear some sort of compression pants/shirt under my gi.  Just wearing a T-shirt and underwear the mat/gi burn is brutal.  The shower after when I got home was not fun.  

Overall I really wish I had not been such a bitch about this whole thing and signed up years ago when I first thought about doing this.
View Quote

Sounds like you're on the right track!  Some of BJJ's strengths are the fitness and the amount of time you spend working with partners.  It's way more productive than "air kicks" or lining up in class to wait your turn to strike a bag, which is what you see in a lot of martial arts.  

If you need any more inspiration:
BJJ Black Belt in Street Fight!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Super proud of my GF and kid.

GF has her white belt with two stripes, the 5yo has his grey/white belt with two stripes and i was promoted a few weeks back to blue belt.

All of us train at 3 to 5 times a week. If anyone is questioning themselves if they should.

Do it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#26]

GF has her white belt with two stripes, the 5yo has his grey/white belt with two stripes and i was promoted a few weeks back to blue belt.

All of us train at 3 to 5 times a week. If anyone is questioning themselves if they should.

Do it.
View Quote

Congrats to all of you dude!

I too train anywhere from 4-6 times a week. Just got promoted to Blue Belt a couple hours ago. Jiu Jitsu really is one of the most enjoyable and therapeutic activities you can do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Welp, it's been over 4 years since I posted in this thread and started training.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]

I too train anywhere from 4-6 times a week. Just got promoted to Blue Belt a couple hours ago. Jiu Jitsu really is one of the most enjoyable and therapeutic activities you can do.
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Do it.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey there's a new self defense specific general section

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Self-Defense/202/
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Competing at Blue belt for the first time this weekend. I will be just shy of 6mo at Blue. I’m a little nervous as some of my competitors are basically purples, but it should be a fun time even if I lose em all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Competing at Blue belt for the first time this weekend. I will be just shy of 6mo at Blue. I’m a little nervous as some of my competitors are basically purples, but it should be a fun time even if I lose em all.
View Quote

You’ll be fine.  Don’t worry about losing. Just go have fun, be respectful, and do your best.

I’ve actually made some friends with some dudes that have beaten me. What organization?
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

You'll be fine.  Don't worry about losing. Just go have fun, be respectful, and do your best.

I've actually made some friends with some dudes that have beaten me. What organization?
View Quote

Agree with Dan.  My first competition at Blue I was about the same - 6 months in.  I bronzed. And if we would have run it back the results would have been different. There's lots of parity.

Go have fun, and work your game plan. Score points early if you can and be patient in dominant positions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I was way more relaxed and performed better competing first time blue than at white.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks all - I couldn’t care less about losing. I just enjoy it. It’s at the Arnold Classic. Which is a huge event. It’s all day. There’s 25 people in my weight/age/rank bracket alone. I’m doing Gi and No Gi because I like em both. I will report back with the results.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks all - I couldn’t care less about losing. I just enjoy it. It’s at the Arnold Classic. Which is a huge event. It’s all day. There’s 25 people in my weight/age/rank bracket alone. I’m doing Gi and No Gi because I like em both. I will report back with the results.
View Quote

Very cool. There’s a few people from our school competing too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess I'll join this thread.

I went and observed a local BJJ class today. I think I'm gonna start attending next week. I did Isshinryu karate for around 15 years in my youth through my early 20s, and wanted to get back into something.

I'm 51, but I'm in good shape from the gym. I'm looking forward to hitting the mat on my non-gym days both to learn some new self-defense as well as to work on my range of motion that I normally wouldn't get every day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#38]
So here is my review of myself. I did okay. My second competition total. My first comp I left feeling out-classed, and like I could not keep up with aggression of the other guys. This time I feel much happier with my performance, despite losing 5 and winning 1.

This time around, even the matches I lost I felt competitive. I was able to hold my own on my feet, and threaten submissions on every opponent except one. My guard has improved wildly, 5 off my 6 opponents could’t pass at all. Unfortunately, my school is not big on leg entanglements, so sometimes when I was playing guard, they would fall back into 50/50 and take me out with leg locks - which clearly I need to familiarize myself with better.

I had a blast, met some cool people, and most importantly I learned what areas I need to improve most. If you don’t currently compete, I recommend it immensely. All of my weaknesses from my first comp I have fixed, and now I have new stuff to work on.

I will say, I won’t do the Arnold again. It was way too noisy and distracting for the refs. Myself and multiple others were hurt because refs could not focus, and they missed people tapping. Still was fun though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Completed one Jiu Jitsu class last night, one Judo class down as well. Last night we worked on Peruvian neckties progressing to arm bars.  Judo we learned OGoshi, Osoto-Gari, Nippon Seonagi.  
Judo left me so sore I felt like I'd been hit by a train.

7 years ago I was diagnosed with 4 herniated/fissured disks in lower back and have two fused cervical vertebrae.  I'm 52 years old and got into this to maintain strength and flexibility.  Hoping
this helps to keep my core strength up to protect me from further back issues.  It's my neck I get worried about.  

Also curious about ambidexterity in moves.  We seem to focus on using whatever our natural side is but no one brought up approaches from left and right. How is important learning throws and attacks from left and right sides?

Virgin White Belt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Ascendent:
Completed one Jiu Jitsu class last night, one Judo class down as well. Last night we worked on Peruvian neckties progressing to arm bars.  Judo we learned OGoshi, Osoto-Gari, Nippon Seonagi.  

7 years ago I was diagnosed with 4 herniated/fissured disks in lower back and have two fused cervical vertebrae.  I'm 52 years old and got into this to maintain strength and flexibility.  Hoping
this helps to keep my core strength up to protect me from further back issues.  It's my neck I get worried about.  

Also curious about ambidexterity in moves.  We seem to focus on using whatever our natural side is but no one brought up approaches from left and right. How is important learning throws and attacks from left and right sides?

Virgin White Belt.
View Quote

52 with spinal damage, starting Judo? Be careful...nobody else can protect your body like you can.

BJJ should be fine as long as you train smart.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:

52 with spinal damage, starting Judo? Be careful...nobody else can protect your body like you can.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:

Virgin White Belt.

I'm trying to be smart about it.  The whole stand me up on my head while applying pressure to my neck has me tapping early.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Virgin White Belt.
View Quote

The reason we train on our “good side” only is so we can fully learn the techniques and understand it. Once we have that technique down rather well on our good side, we start practicing it on the other side. Some moves are harder than others to learn, so getting a good grasp takes time. The longer you train the easier learning moves on each side will become.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread hasn't been bumped in more than 7 months. Where is everyone?!
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:
This thread hasn't been bumped in more than 7 months. Where is everyone?!
View Quote

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m training 4-5 days a week.

Where’s everyone else?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#45]

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm training 4-5 days a week.

Where's everyone else?
View Quote
I'm down to 1-2 days a week at the moment.  But in trying to get more consistent.  Work has been crazy busy and relocating to NYC this summer really threw me off. I still trained up there but I fell out of my routine.

I want to get back to 3 days a week (Tues, Thurs and either Fri or Sunday for open mat).

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I got my purple belt tonight. Lighting makes it look pink for whatever reason. The blue belt behind it saw many....many...many...rounds. it was starting to turn purple on its own.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Congrats!  Purple is a legit accomplishment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Congrats! How long were you blue for?
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Eagles9876:
Congrats! How long were you blue for?
View Quote
@Eagles9876

About a week shy of 2 years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#50]
That’s awesome. I’m going on one year of being a blue belt and I’m enjoying every minute. I’ve been teaching the kids classes lately and found it improving my own game! Explaining something so that a kid understands it can really help your own brain think about moves in an easy to comprehend way.

Good luck!
Page / 36
Top Top