BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 2/24/2007 8:24:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Sucks.

They are really pushing their luck pissing off so much of the armed population like that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#2]
What's that rumbling sound...

ETA:  Alright, I'm finally ready and willing to get off my ass and actually start contacting my state representatives.  How can I find out what district I'm in and who I need to contact?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]
It's called a "Sport Rifle" now, assault weapon is now passe.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]

How can I find out what district I'm in and who I need to contact?

NRA-ILA has a great resource for how/who to contact:   www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, just what I needed.

Another question, email, snailmail, or personal visit?  Is it exactly kosher to just go to their office and ask for 5 minutes of their time?  How does that work exactly?

ETA:  Everyone ought to go stick that link in their respective hometown forum.  In fact, hell, that oughta be tacked in every hometown forum.  Good idea?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm also calling the NRA on Monday.  Time to be a lifer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]
what the hell is this?

Yeah I think it is about time I joined too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
- Guns exempted by the Clinton ban. (Ruger Mini-14s and -30s and Ranch Rifles; .30 cal. carbines; and fixed-magazine, semi-automatic, center-fire rifles that hold more than 10 rounds.)

- All semi-automatic shotguns. (E.g., Remington, Winchester, Beretta and Benelli, used for hunting, sport shooting, and self-defense.  H.R. 1022 would ban them because they have "any characteristic that can function as a grip," and would also ban their main component, called the "receiver.")

- All detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles-including, for example, the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 .22 rimfire-because they have "any characteristic that can function as a grip." Also the Remington 740 series.

- Target shooting rifles. (E.g., the three centerfire rifles most popular for marksmanship competitions: the Colt AR-15, the Springfield M1A and the M1 "Garand.")

the Clinton Gun Ban was imposed for a 10-year trial period, H.R. 1022 would be a permanent ban.

IMO, the sweeping scope of this legislation is a good thing. The FUDDS, the deer hunters, the skeet shooters, the Garand/WWII Great War purists, the "only got a 10/22 and a S&W Model 10" crowd, and the A-Teamers will now have to either stand with us or hang with us. The Zumboes can no longer deny that they're exempt from this stupidity since they only want to hunt.

wganz

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I knew this was coming I just didn't realize those bastids would try so soon.

+1 on what wganz stated on including everyone

This is gonna be a long nasty battle. I wonder how this is gonna affect gun prices this weekend at the show?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#14]
us can call me what you want but here we go fellas..put your seat belts on,they have a axe to grind with us and they arent going to be bput down easily again.every time the democraps are put in power this happens.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I fired off letters to all 3 of my Congress critters yesterday.  To my knowledge, HR 1022 hasn't yet stained the Senate with its presence, and, with any luck and effort, won't.  All the same, I went ahead and warned my Senators of this piece of horrible legislation, asking that they work to prevent any such shenanigans occurring in the Senate, and vote against HR 1022 in the event things get that far.

Below, I humbly submit the body text of my letter to my Representative, should you wish to crib/borrow from/copy it.  Remember to fill in your state, and edit for your Senators if you write them as well.  You may wish to hit different high points of HR 1022 than I did.  There was no way to address all the evils of this bill in a one-page letter.

<begin letter text>

HR 1022 is a horrible, treasonous bill that would, among other things, criminalize manufacture and sale of practically all semi-automatic firearms, for no good reason and in direct opposition to the US Constitution.  I need your help in defending the Constitution from its domestic enemies, which apparently include Representative Carolyn McCarthy of New York, the bill's chief proponent.  I need you to vote against HR 1022, should it slip out of the Judiciary Committee in any form.  I also ask that you speak against any such laws at the first opportunity, and use your influence to prevent further introduction of same in the House when possible.

HR 1022 and bills like it are an affront to liberty.  It would be no more effective in its supposed purpose than its predecessor, the poorly-named “Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994,” a.k.a. “Assault Weapons Ban."  In 2004, AWB  died a well-deserved death, ending – at least on the federal level - a 10-year witch hunt against things which should never have been illegal.  Both during its reign of terror and after its expiration, there has been no evidence to indicate that AWB did anything to control violent crime.  The “no mere civilian needs more than 10 rounds” and “mere civilians can't be trusted with certain weapons” mentality of the AWB is one suited to the former Soviet Union, not the United States of America.  Certainly, AWB did nothing to aid (your state), nor would HR 1022.

Enforcing existing laws, and stopping bad laws that would criminalize peaceful citizens, are effective ways to fight crime.  No great intellect is required to realize that violent criminals, by definition, pay no mind to so-called “gun control” laws, or laws in general.  Ridiculous bills like HR 1022 would only further punish honest, peaceful citizens, while doing nothing to curb those who would initiate violence against their fellow man.

I am sure I can count on you to uphold your oath of office by voting against HR 1022.  Thanks for serving, and I look forward to hearing from you on this topic.

<end letter text>
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I just build my first OLL AR15, what would I have to do if dems get there way?  Register it?  It sucks to live in Commifornia and now maybe in the US.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Hit the NRA link in the OP, enter your zip code and fire off an email, followed up with a letter to your reps.  Make your voice is heard outside of this web site!  If the response is as strong as the "Zumbo Comments", we have a real fighting chance.

CQB27
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:

IMO, the sweeping scope of this legislation is a good thing. The FUDDS, the deer hunters, the skeet shooters, the Garand/WWII Great War purists, the "only got a 10/22 and a S&W Model 10" crowd, and the A-Teamers will now have to either stand with us or hang with us. The Zumboes can no longer deny that they're exempt from this stupidity since they only want to hunt.

wganz

Agree 100% with this one.

I live in MA and that describes the attitude of many of the  "sport shooters" who belong to the shooting club that I do.

"Well, that AWB really doesn't affect me....."

Glad to see this one as overreaching as it is. Get it all out in the open and let everyone see the agenda of the current "liberal". BTW, what liberal used to mean -

"Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded."
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Just burned off three letters myself.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#21]
She does not do to good ............

89% fail , Still means we need to fight .
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Can anybody tell me if this would affect items you already own or just items in the future?

In other words, are going to go back to Pre-ban, Post-ban again?  Or what.  

If this was enacted (I don't think so till a Dem president is in) then there will be a huge run on buying again before it goes into action.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Got that in an email from the NRA-ILA last evening.

As of 5 minutes ago, there were still no co-sponsors.

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.01022:
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#24]
   If the majority of liberals get their way, we wouldnt be able
to own a single shot .22LR.  In a way I'm glad they are pulling
this garbage, because we will see who are opposition is
quickly. Lets finish this situation now, and get it over with soon.

These jerks should be heckled in every public event under the sun.
I've been dealing with oppresive garbage like this for so long,
I decided a year ago to start pushing back.  Guys, you'd better get
ready to start spending days off calling, visiting, and actually
protesting outside the offices and businesses of the clowns, because
the alternatives are ones I'd choose as a last resort.  This issue
has no neutral ground.  You either help protect the 2nd amendment,
or you'll be considered to be with them.  No fence sitting this time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
She does not do to good ............

89% fail , Still means we need to fight .

89 haven't made it out of commitee, out of 92.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]
 1% or 100% is irrelevant.  They still want to stop
private ownership of firearms, and they'll use that
to lull us into a false sense that the thing wont pass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#27]
she also has another anti gun bill...

H.R. 297: NICS Improvement Act of 2007

GOA Link
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, guess I will be writing to my elected officials. We can't sit around and let this happen. Lets all get the word out to every gun owner we know.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#29]
The text of the bill can be found by going here and doing a search by bill number(H.R.1022).

Two points that seem to have been missed here:

1) The bill is not limited to semi-auto shotguns.  The wording is "semiautomatic rifles and shotguns", and the section detailing what shotguns would be banned (by features) is not restricted to only semi-autos, so they're going after guns other than semi-autos.

2) The clause allowing the Attorney General to add guns to the ban is not restricted to what types of guns may be added, only that the guns have to have been used or designed for use by military or law enforcement (or based on such a gun).  Yes, "semiautomatic rifles and shotguns" is stated in the first line of that clause, but it is the only time that wording is used.  The rest of the clause uses the general term "firearms".  You may think that since this is an "assault weapon" bill, that this clause will only apply to those, but that's what people kept saying about the National Instant Check System (which was created by a handgun bill that switched to the wording "firearm" in that clause).

Try to think of a firearm that hasn't been used by the military or law enforcement, or designed with the intent to market it to military or law enforcement, or is based on such a firearm, then ask yourself if Janet Reno (or some other attorney general) would ban the guns you mentally cross off the list.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the "definitions" section of the bill gives a definition for "detachable magazine" that can be applied to speedloaders and stripper clips.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#30]
If this happens, How soon can we expect it to go in to law, in other words how long do you have to stock up on things.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Would this ban be a confiscation ban or make it illegal to even shoot the current guns we may own.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]
"From my cold, dead hands"......Wish I would have know this when that dike Hilary was in Vegas, we need to protest, heckle all anti-gun politcians!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Would this ban be a confiscation ban or make it illegal to even shoot the current guns we may own.

You'd have to research the text of each federal code referenced by the bill, to see what the full extent of the bill is.  At the very least, it looks like private sales would be a federal crime, with the only legal way to sell a used gun being a recorded transaction through a dealer.

For an example of how difficult it can be to determine the end result of a bill that references various federal codes with 'strike line c and insert..': A while back (Clintons' second term?) the NRA sent out an alert about a bill that would tax handgun owners by requiring them to declare each handgun they own (and pay a $50 tax on each) on an IRS form that would be filed with their tax return.  What the NRA seemed to miss, was that the actual intent of the bill was to reclassify handguns as NFA items (by inserting "handgun" in the text of the NFA law) and the tax form was a method to be used for collecting the new NFA transfer tax (after the fact) and adding the handguns to the NFA registry.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I believe we need a real show of force.  Liberals tend to take the foreground when it comes to protesting, and will do it for whatever reason they see fit, but Conservs usually just remain quiet, because they know that causing a hassle is not appropriate means for getting what is right passed.

BUT...maybe we finally should do something, like a Million Gunowner March on DC!  

Boot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
My first ever political action! I am a proud citizen, and I will die gun in hand before these guys take my rights.

Representative Boustany,

The House Committee on the Judiciary is currently considering H.R. 1022, to re-authorize the federal "Assault Weapons Ban". As a law abiding citizen, a law enforcement officer, and a sportsman I ask that you please do what you can to block this unneeded legislation.
   You are not in need of any speech from me on the merits of protecting our constitutional rights, but from a law enforcement standpoint weapons save and protect many more lives than they endanger. This, among others in a long string of attacks on our Second Amendment rights, needs to be stopped and prevented from taking hold again.

Thank you for your representation,
-Kade Chisholm

PS. A statement of your position would be welcomed and appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My first ever political action! I am a proud citizen, and I will die gun in hand before these guys take my rights.

Representative Boustany,

The House Committee on the Judiciary is currently considering H.R. 1022, to re-authorize the federal "Assault Weapons Ban". As a law abiding citizen, a law enforcement officer, and a sportsman I ask that you please do what you can to block this unneeded legislation.
   You are not in need of any speech from me on the merits of protecting our constitutional rights, but from a law enforcement standpoint weapons save and protect many more lives than they endanger. This, among others in a long string of attacks on our Second Amendment rights, needs to be stopped and prevented from taking hold again.

Thank you for your representation,
-Kade Chisholm

PS. A statement of your position would be welcomed and appreciated.

I met Representative Boustany at a gun show a few years back in Lafayette when he was first running for office.  I assume he is pro-Constitution/Bill of Rights as a fellow sportsman.  I am almost certain that it is his Doctor and Lawyer friends that have been buying up the 50 BMG rifles at premiums over MSRP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Ed- apparently these politicians don't spend a whole lot of time reading ARFCOM. If they did, they would know that Gun Control isn't an issue until after they get Hilary sworn in. The experts here have stated repeatedly this is not an issue and we need not worry about it. Also, they said they would let us know WHEN we need to worry about it. Of course I don't see any of them responding to this thread either.

For what it is worth I fired off my letters today.

Maybe these idiots on this site will finally realize that the Left will not stop until only their bodygaurds have GUNS.

Col. Clippen OUT.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh... so now since it's from NRA-ILA it's "official"? What about the JPFO and GOA articles on this same bill that we've already had threads on discussing possible impacts on us?

For the record, I've already e-mailed my Rep (Michael McCaul) on this one. Told him we'd be watching any votes on legislation like this very carefully.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Well my whole family is signing up including my two kids who are 3 and 2 and  we think this new ban is

Quoted:
I'm also calling the NRA on Monday.  Time to be a lifer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad to see this on the front page

Lets Git-R-Done
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#42]
She needs to be tried for treason in an attempt to derail the constitution.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is the email I sent to "To the Honorable Carolyn McCarthy" (Honorable? Please.)"Let me start by saying there is NOTHING honorable about you. Your crusade to ban what you call "assault rifles" is against the Constitution. The Government cannot tell me what kind of gun I can own. If you want to reduce gun violence, ENFORCE THE LAWS ON THE BOOKS! The only reason that you are doing this is to ingratiate yourself to your Liberal supporters. There is no good reason to ban assault rifles. The fact that politicians ignore constantly is that even if you ban "assault rifles", the people who commit crimes with them will continue to get them. The fact that they are law-breakers to begin with means that they do not follow the laws about guns or anything else, so all banning them will do is take them out of the hands of the law-abiding, freedom loving citizens of this country. Most assault rifle owners are present or former military and law enforcement. These are the people you want in possession of weapons. Take myself for instance, I am a Former Marine Infantryman/Combat instructor. I not only know how to safely handle and deploy weapons, I am also capable of training people. Thankfully  I live in a Non-liberal State, one that is military friendly, and will fight you and your Nazai-esque crusade on our right to bear arms. Your narrow view of the world, coupled with the fact that you yourself have probably never had to defend yourself or your country, and the fact that your dirty liberal fingers have probably never touched a weapon, makes you the wrong person to be dealing with this countries right to bear arms, Good day"
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Have already sent a letter to my congressmen.  Perhaps its time to remind people that with out the 2nd, how do we keep those other rights we hold dear.

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

If you don't have the 2nd, how do we hold on to the 1st??
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#45]
You know, it might just be to our ultimate advantage for this to pass into law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Good luck trying to find all the guns here in Florida. Guns are not registered after u sell them to another person.  I sold all mine to some guy that I met at a Craker Barrel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
sent emails to both state representatives
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Where liberalism used to be a legitimate, if misguided, part of American culture, it has now become the antithisis of the system is is part of. Too many Americans simply do not pay attention to, or feel they have no voice with, our government, and so keep silent. 86% of Americans claim to be Christian... It is time for us speak out, not as activists, or extreemists, but as American citizens in the majority with a strong clear voice. We were meant to be a self governing people, independant, moral, and strong. We do not need the government to babysit us. We simply need a process by which the majority can govern it'self... Unfortunately, the Moral Majority are silent, the liberals would have us belive we are NOT the majority... and so the vocal minority sway the laws. This needs to stop! Let it begin with H.R.1022 and may we never again be silenced.

Freedom takes dilligence and action.. If we are not dilligent, and do not act, we will no longer be free.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I have my WebSite fixed up with alot  of information let me know if I need to add more.Send it to everyone you can.

My WebSite Page
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Good luck trying to find all the guns here in Florida. Guns are not registered after u sell them to another person.  I sold all mine to some guy that I met at a Craker Barrel.

Then you just violated HR1022.  Private sales are not allowed under HR1022.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top