Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 4:52:36 PM EDT
Even for dial up, this thing is running slower than sh$$.  It won't scandisk or defrag anymore, and I get the error messages symlcsvc and kernel32.dll as well.  

I've had spysweeper, spybot, and some other things such as ad-aware as well on this computer.  They were the internet downloads and I never used the subscription, so just more junk on this thing.

Any ideas what to do?  Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Reformat the HD and reinstall the OS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Format, re-install and use your Norton Internet Security CD as a target.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Stick the CD in and do a repair install.....  It'll replace all the existing files with the originals and bring it back to day 1, as long as other things arent majorly fubar'd

If that doesn't help, save all your junk and wipe the drive, then start from scratch....  

Really IS no "simple" way to clean up corrupted files, especially when you're getting Kernal errors..

Incidentally, symlcsvc (.dll/.exe ?) is part of a Norton application...  Anti-Virus, or System Works, most likely.....  Try uninstalling all Norton products, and see if this solves your problem, before wiping everything clean.

Norton A/V is such a pain in the ass, I wouldn't be suprised if uninstalling fixed it  Just having it running it's background scan alone will slow many computers down substantially, because it's such a resource pig...

If you cant run scandisk or defrag tho, I'd just say it's time for a fresh install, after wiping the drive.

Try uninstalling anything Norton flavored, then see what happens first though...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
FORMAT THE hd AND REINSTALL TH Eos

You can't even type, and he's supposed to listen to you ??

hehe
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
There are many reasons why I won't use Norton products...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll probably end up taking it into "the kid" at the computer store and have him go thru it.  I drop the computer off with a six pack of beer and you'd be surprised how fast (and cheap) I get my stuff back............beer: the miracle liquid!!

This stuff is way over my head.  

Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FORMAT THE hd AND REINSTALL TH Eos

You can't even type, and he's supposed to listen to you ??

hehe

Bwhahahahahahaha!!!!!   Thanks.  I needed a good laugh before heading back to work and starting my work week.

Off to the airport.  Hope nobody stole the ole' girl.  

Thank you again.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
run this program and then get some REAL antivirus on your computer  symnrt symantec manual removal tool

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top