Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 6:20:15 PM EDT
If you're technically ept and want to get into the Vista CTAP, please contact me via email ([email protected]) and we'll talk. You'll need a machine you can dedicate to testing.

Personally, I've put the Feb CTAP refresh (5308) on all my former XP machines at home. Steam runs fine, as do most of my apps. The ones I have trouble with are ones hardwired to a windows version.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to send you a email on Monday when I get back to work.  We do IPv6 testing for the Dept of Navy and have been trying to get Vista for some ongoing testing, we are trying to avoid having to use XP because of the limited v6 support.  Unfortunately because of limited funding we don't have the money to spend on a technet license or MSDN so we have been unable to get a copy.  I have contacted Microsoft's customer support 3 times and I can't seem to make the csr's understand that it would be a real good idea for Vista to be in this testing as opposed to XP just from the simple fact that it's a capablities test.  There are DOD mandates that IPv6 is implemented by 2008 so we are doing a very broad capabilities test, we are also looking at what happens if you turn off v4.  

I just wanted to give you a heads up, I know this isn't what you were probably looking for but i have almost given up on getting Vista into this testing..... here's to really hoping we can  help each other out.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
MSDN is a wonderful thing.  Already got Vista installed on my new box.  Not actively running it, as it says my video card sucks.  That will be remedied soon, then I'll try throwing some games on it, see what it does.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just wanted to give you a heads up, I know this isn't what you were probably looking for but i have almost given up on getting Vista into this testing..... here's to really hoping we can  help each other out.  

Sounds good - just send me an email and I'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
this may seem like a REALLY stupid question... but what level of "technicly ept" are you lookin for?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]
if using an operating system that isn't done - with no support - doesn't scare you off, you may be ept enough.

it helps to have a dedicated machine, too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
New video card should be here today... I'll get that in tonight (hopefully) and see how Vista runs on a video card that doesn't suck.  

If anyone wants a good summary of things that MS is changing in Vista, look up an article called 'Why Windows Vista Won't Suck'.    If MS pulls it off, Vista could be a great OS.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
ahh, thats not a prob at all.

you have an email incomming:D

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#9]
e-mail sent
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
it would help me set expectations if people could let me know how long it was after I sent them email until the invite showed up - if you could report in this thread when the invite shows up (or when you're able to download the iso, or whatever) that would be great.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
will do,

thanks again
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
email sent
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Ry,

Just got the invite.

Thanks!

dave
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ry,

Just got the invite.

Thanks!

dave

Let me know how the install goes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ry,

Just got the invite.

Thanks!

dave

Let me know how the install goes.

First install was on a Lenovo T42 Thinkpad, 1.7/512/40 with the 1024X768 LCD and 32mb Raedon GPU. Install went well, found the Intel Wireless and set it right up, sound works well, video driver updated with the modem when I ran Windows update. So far so good, but the system seems a little on the light side for Vista. I am going to install it on a desktop P4 2.4GhZ system tonight and next week I hope to have a new video card for my P4 3.2Ghz HT system with DDR2, to try it out as well.

It looks good so far, I am impressed, almost as impressed the first time I installed W2K. Actually I am a little more excited about this one.....

I may try to install it to my Tecra S2 tomorrow as well, and see how well it does. It has the 64MB nVidia 6600 GO GPU, but I want to Ghost the system as is right now so I can restore after testing.

All in all, a lot of fun after the 5 hour download

Thanks again,

dave
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I have installed the 5308 build 64 bit build today on my Athlon 64 system.   Looks stunning, Vista found my ethernet port for my Nforce 4 motherboard and my 6800 video card as well.   Installed a Realtek 64 bit driver (for XP 64 bit), it works but is pretty choppy.   Half-life 2 works but is a bit choppy as well, might be due to the audio driver.  I did not install any Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site.

I installed Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 and it seems to work flawlessly.  IE 7 looks very good and tabbed browsing is nice, maybe I am a Luddite but still prefer the Classic menu toolbar look better.  The only thing negative so far is that sometimes it takes more than a few seconds for something to come up after I give it the old double-click but since this is still a beta I am pretty sure there are many more tweaks to be done.

My computer info:
AMD64 3200 CPU
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI Motherboard (not running SLI)
Gigabyte PX6800 TDH  256MB
1GB (2 x 512MB sticks) 3200 RAM in dual channel mode
Seagate Barracude ST3250823AS 250 GB SATA drive

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Message Incomming...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]
i got the invite the night after i spoke with you via email, very speedy.

i just got the DL last ngiht and i am planning on installing it tonight one one of 2 systems.

amd 64 3k
1gig S CH DDR
hitatchi 250gb hdd
seagate 80gb hdd
geforce 5700 ultra(also have a rad 9600pro, havent decided which to use yet)
sblive 5.1 (have an audigy 2 but im too lazy to install it right now...... )
i have a scsi setup but im not sure if im gonna use it yet.
i also have a bunch of FO i might setup and mess around with.

ill keep you posted on the install tonight.(i need to steal my buddies dvd burner, i speant the last of my money on an M&P15 last week)

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#19]
i'd like to try it.   i've got an older and new machine to try it on
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I just want to make sure that anyone that asked got an invite - I went to look at my nomination list and I didn't see all the names I thought should be there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#21]
yep, i got mine, sorry ive been away in WA on vacation, just got back a couple days ago...

only to find my GF has DLed 6 viruses(viri?) so its gonna go on my main system, so ill keep MS posted(and you specificly, if you want) to compatibility issues.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I want to note, too, if you've already downloaded 5308 a new CTAP build came out today - 5342. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]
downloading now
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#24]
ok, the install took forever(about 1.5-2hrs) i thought it hung up twice.   i got through it though.

now im having SERIOUS connectivity issues.  so much so that i cant maintian my connection for more than 10 minutes at a time.  when using ipconfig i am not able to /release /renew(says i/command needs "elevation" )   i dont have admin access(even though my user account is an admin account) at times.  i would download the new build and install that but at the current im unable to maintin my connection.

on a related note, i am not sure if it is vista or my router.(i was having issues b4 the install, but was able to use saf mode with networking. now i cant. so i think its on my end)  but with the new interface for the networking windows and features im just running in circles.

on another note, for somereason, whenever i got to activate, or get updates, my connection drops, not sure if thats anything. oh, i also cant send error reports.

on a side note, is there a forum/chat specific for support/bug reports? anything besides dev chats and the faq database?

so far, from what ive seen, it seems like a dumbed down version of windows... it seems almost mac like with the simplicty of the layouts and drop menus.  im not sure if i like it yet. change takes a while i guess.   i think part of it is simply i have only had about 5 hours of use with it, 80% of wich has been training to maintain connectivity.

ill keep you posted.

thanks,
CSB
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#25]
are you using the staged install? I've never had it take that long. Is the machine overclocked?

as for network stability - I don't know how Vista could hurt or help that. I've certainly not seen what you're seeing.

Please use the "feedback" tool on the desktop to send bug reports.

There are user groups - please look at the stuff under the "newsgroups" link when you log in on connect.microsoft.com
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#26]
every time i use the feedback tool it drops my connection:/

non staged install. not overclocked.    im gonna get ahold of the new build and try that.

what would you say the average install time is?

im at a total loss as to the connectivity issue, its showing symptoms of being both software and hardware issues  and it is stumping me. im actually leaning to hardware though.  

i think im gonna build another box, and install vista on it also, and see how it does. im thinkin theres somthing up with this box.

ill keep you posted,(as i cant use the feedback tools)

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#27]
5342 is supposedly a fairly rough build, you may wish to try 5308 instead. You're in the tap-cv group - which gets builds which are non-ctp quality.

also, on any windows or mac box you can use the newsreader of your choice (Outlook Express comes with windows) and log in to the news groups. There is a lot of support available there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
e-mail sent
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
oh on a side note my future father inlaw wants to get involved. he also works in the industry, can i send him your email and have him get in touch with you for the ctp?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#30]
i guess im still waiting for the secret handshake or something..  i am i suppost to get a email or something  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Direct anyone else who wants into Vista here for instructions.

Cruze, I put you in the nomination list. Did the email land in your junk mail folder?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
i got it today at 9:02pmEST.  thanks again.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#33]
The only machine I'm confident will be able to run it is my daily use rig... sorry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The only machine I'm confident will be able to run it is my daily use rig... sorry.

I'm running it on a p3 700 laptop as well as everything else.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I downloaded 5308 a few weeks ago after you invited me and I reread this thread and saw that you had installed steam. What type of performance did you get? It seemed like the Nvidia drivers they have out for Vista are not even activating my 7900GTX during gaming.

Looks DirectX 7ish, very laggy, I have since uninstalled to get my RAID 0 back up and running since Vista doesn't seem to like NVRaid.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

i've done a couple installs of vista of some crap machines.     800Mhz thunderbird  512mb ram 7200 rpm harddrive.   it still runs its just kinda sluggish.   have not tried a 256mb system,  i don't think i could wait that long  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i've done a couple installs of vista of some crap machines.     800Mhz thunderbird  512mb ram 7200 rpm harddrive.   it still runs its just kinda sluggish.   have not tried a 256mb system,  i don't think i could wait that long  

I'm running it on my p3 700 laptop with 256 megs of ram.

it's a little pokey.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm running it on my p3 700 laptop with 256 megs of ram.

it's a little pokey.

I could not get it to install on a p3 850 with 256 megs for ram... Dell notebook, Inspiron 4000 IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#39]
i must be doing something wrong, when i go to install, it hangs my system right before it starts the install.    i burned iso to disk, booted from it, it says starting windows, then hangs at a black screen. i tried with VM and got the same resault.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I downloaded 5308 a few weeks ago after you invited me and I reread this thread and saw that you had installed steam. What type of performance did you get? It seemed like the Nvidia drivers they have out for Vista are not even activating my 7900GTX during gaming.

Looks DirectX 7ish, very laggy, I have since uninstalled to get my RAID 0 back up and running since Vista doesn't seem to like NVRaid.

Thanks for any input.

I have ATI card (x300); ATI has much better Vista support (so far) than nVidia.

That said, the performance is good enough. I haven't done perf tests to get exact framerates, but I still play at the default settings.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#41]
well crap my wireless doesnt work.

says its active but wont find any acess points. but my main comp finds em just fine.

oh well kidna need my wireless back to xp on my laptop. other then that everything works fine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top