Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2007 11:07:56 AM EDT
In case you don't know what an Ariel Atom is, 1200lbs, 300HP... 'nuff said.

When I first moved into my rental house at the beginning of this school term, my roommate told me he just got back from picking up he and his brother's Ariel Atom 300.  They drove from Oregon down to California and back in the middle of March.  He said made it sound like the worst road trip ever.

He mentioned he wanted to bring it up from Chicago for one week, and at the end of last week, he did.

Holy freaking hell that thing was amazing.  I think you'd have less people staring at you if you were driving a Lamborghini.  After we went for a drive down the highway, and through the shitty roads of Flint, including the scariest ride up a freeway onramp I've ever had, we got back home and I asked, "So... is there a chance I could drive it?"

We have a parking lot next to our house that is used less than 5 days a year.  He let me drive the thing in the parking lot for a couple of minutes, making blasts of up to 0-60-0 in the little parking lot.

"So... any chance I could take this on the road?"

"I guess... just let me get buckled up."

Without exaggeration, within 1 minute of getting on the road, I got a speeding ticket.

My friend turned to me as I slowed down for a light and said, "You're getting pulled over."  I didn't even see the cop.  Just my luck.

The cop was a nice guy, only wrote me for 5 over, clocked me at only 52 in a 30... I had it up through third gear, so I'm lucky he only caught me in first or second, rather than a bit further down the road.

There were about a dozen people asking questions about the car as the cop wrote the ticket.  When we got back, two guys in a truck drove by and stopped in front of our house.  "Holy shit, he told me he saw someone driving an Ariel Atom and we've been driving around looking for it!"  My roommate took them for a ride in the parking lot.

Things I learned:
- I probably shouldn't have a fast car
- First gear is useless with that much power
- My roommate is awesome
- $55,000 buys a badass car

On his way home, my roommate was lucky enough to encounter a Viper on the freeway.  He said from 40-100 it slaughtered the Viper and then the Viper started to gain on him.  He said the passenger in the Viper snapped pictures the whole time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
very cool
I really want one
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I would probably either kill myself or loose my license if I had one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think I would lose more than my license in that machine
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]

It would make a damn fine commuter car for me, but it'd suck to hit a deer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it get good MPG with that 4 cylinder?  That Viper shouldn't have even come close.

The brit version with original Honda type R engine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does it get good MPG with that 4 cylinder?  That Viper shouldn't have even come close.

The brit version with original Honda type R engine.

It is essentially a 4-wheeled MOTORCYCLE....

Link Posted: 6/4/2007 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
They get 25MPG city and 25MPG highway.  They're not aerodynamic... that's why even with the ridiculous power to weight ratio, they only spank Ferraris and Vipers up to about 100MPH.  The Atom will beat most anything but a sport bike in the quarter, but it tops out at only 150ish because it's not aerodynamic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I would lose more than my license in that machine

The cops have been patrolling in front of our school because the school complained.  From what I can tell, from FOUR other students that I know that received speeding tickets in the past two weeks, they are basically giving out 5MPH speeding tickets to convince people to stop going 20MPH over.  This is nothing like I've ever heard of here, typically, you can get away with anything short of murder.

Had I been clocked at 70MPH, they *could* have impounded the car, given me a wreckless op and my roommate would have been screwed.  He's worried mostly that it'll get impounded and his brother would have to take a day off of work to come get it out (only the registered owner can take a car out of impound).

I have a car that's fast, not Ariel Atom ridiculously fast, but definitely fast enough that I'm inspired to drive like an ass whenever I'm behind the wheel.  Fortunately for me, my insurance company and my wallet, I haven't driven the car in TWO YEARS while it sits in storage in Ohio because storage in Michigan costs twice as much.

With any luck I'll land the co-op job I interviewed for on Friday in Ohio, escaping Michigan and bringing me back home.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I just have to say that I hate you.....bastage....

Link Posted: 6/4/2007 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always wanted to drive that car!

For $55,000 I'm wondering if he had the 300HP version? When I contacted Brammo about the Atom a while back it sounded like the 300HP version would be pushing 70-80k.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Kettering Eh? Where is the blasted pic of the car?
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've always wanted to drive that car!

For $55,000 I'm wondering if he had the 300HP version? When I contacted Brammo about the Atom a while back it sounded like the 300HP version would be pushing 70-80k.

It's the 300, they're raising the price on Father's day by $6k.  Currently, you could order the 300 for well under $60,000.  They have had one price raise since he ordered it last year, and the waiting list has grown significantly.  I think it's almost a year right now, but you could order it for under $60,000, or pick one up on eBay for instant gratification significantly more.

Quoted:
Kettering Eh? Where is the blasted pic of the car?

Meh... I'm afraid the only proof I have is a speeding ticket with my name on it.  For some reason, I have no digital camera, though, the guys in the truck took pics with their phones... my phone doesn't even have a camera.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I want one of those so bad, I didn't think they were coming over here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They get 25MPG city and 25MPG highway.  They're not aerodynamic... that's why even with the ridiculous power to weight ratio, they only spank Ferraris and Vipers up to about 100MPH.  The Atom will beat most anything but a sport bike in the quarter, but it tops out at only 150ish because it's not aerodynamic.

I wonder how much 'improvement' a full body fairing would produce in that department, for the weight it would add...

Maybe fiberglass?
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw a report on those on speedvision(?) or some other show about driving.  Host made is seem like it was the ultimate driving experience.  The car was made out to be a performance machine, which I guess you showed to be true
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It would make a damn fine commuter car for me, but it'd suck to hit a deer.

Why? You could just drive under the deer! It would kind of suck in the rain, though.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It would make a damn fine commuter car for me, but it'd suck to hit a rabbit deer.

Fixed that for you.  

And yes, I want one.  They do look like something to get instant wood in.  

That was something we were talking about, but honestly... the deer would clear the car with ease.  In most cases, you're wearing a helmet, if not, at dusk, you'd be eating more bugs than air.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#18]
The Ariel Atom would make a kick ass track car, but wouldn't be all that comfortable for a daily driver.  I've seen it on Top Gear...

And the demonstration video when Tesla Motors ran an electric version against a Porsche Carrera GT and a Ferrari F430... and it SPANKED both of them.  

I bet they'd be fun as hell to drive, either with a gas engine, or electric!
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the Top Gear Video with the British Host if anyone is interested.

ARIEL ATOM on Top Gear
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just have to say that I hate you.....bastage....

A big super major +1.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I was on my motorcycle when I came upon the one from Tesla Motors. I was talking to the guy at each light about it. At one of the lights the guy got on it. Since it make no noise I didn't figure out he wanted to race until he was gone. My 1200 sport bike had a hard time catching him.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#22]
wow
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#23]
They've looked like a lot of fun, but I think I'd rather have a Lotus Elise.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Saw a report on those on speedvision(?) or some other show about driving.  Host made is seem like it was the ultimate driving experience.  The car was made out to be a performance machine, which I guess you showed to be true

I'm guessing you saw it on Top Gear.

They look cool but I think I would rather spend $50-60K on something else.  YMMV

I'd rather have a C6Z06.

Just as fast, would destroy it over 100mph, and, well, its not just a chassis with a motor.

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Id take and Exige...it sure does look fun though
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah man, I hate you.

I really, really want one of those....
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Definitely.

It does motivate me that the Ariel guys found a way to work around the laws and sell that thing here, after all the headache Lotus went through to import the Elise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely.

It does motivate me that the Ariel guys found a way to work around the laws and sell that thing here, after all the headache Lotus went through to import the Elise.

They sell it for off-road use only with all the stop/turn/tail/headlights/horn stuff  Then, you register it as either a kit car or as an Ariel Atom.  Most states don't care what it is as long as it has those basic things.  Only the federal government says you have to have airbags and DOT lighting and DOT blah blah blah... states just have basic requirements.  They get away with it because they're selling below a certain number a year or something.

If they have to inspect it, then you will likely have issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top