Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2010 2:18:54 PM EDT
This.  I gasped when I saw the photos over at Flight International.  Luckily, the Polish crew lived to tell the tale.

Poland Grounds Hercules Fleet After Afghan Mishap

Both images © HerkyBirds.com

Poland has grounded its two Lockheed Martin C-130Es following an accident in Afghanistan on 5 February.

Sources say aircraft "1506" suffered structural damage after its crew performed a 4g
manoeuvre to avoid a collision with a mountain and struck tree tops.
The incident is believed to have followed false indications from flight
instruments, they claim.

On loan to Poland since last November,
the centre fuselage, wing root area and one underwing fuel tank of the
US Air Force-owned aircraft were damaged, while almost its entire
elevator was separated.

The crew escaped serious injury and made an emergency landing at
Mazar-e-Sharif air base, in the course of which the structure next to
the main landing gear area was also damaged.

Warsaw had been due
to return aircraft 1506 in October, but had been discussing the
possibility of eventually operating the transport on a permanent basis.

The surplus USAF
aircraft is on loan as a result of delays to Poland's $110 million deal
for five secondhand C-130Es. Its first refurbished example was
delivered in March 2009, but has not flown this year due to ongoing
work. Three more aircraft should be delivered between March and June,
with the last expected to arrive in December 2011.

Poland's two C-130Es flew around 220h last year, including a first combat deployment to Afghanistan in December.

<h6>Additional reporting by Grzegorz Sobczak

</h6>

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Guess uncle sam just lost one. We shouldn't be "loaning" aircraft if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
This incident is just begging for a new Polish joke...

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It was scheduled to go to AMARG anyway.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
OOPS!
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Little bit of bondo, some crazy glue, she'll be good to go..it's a C130
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Yikes!
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm willing to bet the landing was a bit of a "cruncher" with that little elevator left...

Not surprised it damaged the landing gear structure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Guess uncle sam just lost one. We shouldn't be "loaning" aircraft if you ask me.

Poland has been with us every step of the way after 9-11-01. Give them another plane.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
And that's why they can't have nice stuff.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
We've delivered one already that had a full PDM, Center wing box change, Refurb, ISO and Avionics upgrade. Four more are on the way.

I was on the program that did this.

The one they trashed was a loaner that was scheduled to go into storage at AMARG in one year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Little bit of bondo, some crazy glue, she'll be good to go..it's a C130

Yeah, no shit.  Good friend of mine, who was a door gunner in Viet Nam, saw a C-130 take a mortar round through the wing, but it didn't explode - just punched a good sized hole through the wing.  His Crew Chief radioed the plane's crew and said they'd come pick them up.  The C-130 pilot thanked them for the offer, but said he would meet them back at the base.  Sure enough, a few minutes later the plane was roaring off the end of the runway, headed back to the base.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Thankfully the JATO rockets didn't spontaneously ignite!   (I know I know, they weren't mounted)

But.... funny though!
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poland has been with us every step of the way after 9-11-01. Give them another plane.

I have experiance in Afghanistan, I will be with us even more if you give me an C-130.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Let's see an Airbus do THAT!

American airpower FTMFW.  We invented it...  we do it best.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Testimony to the Lockheed Iron Works.

Think about it - the Herc has been in continuous production for close to 60 years!
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I found 3 more pics on a Polish website:

I wonder who in the flight deck decided to look out the window and say "Hey! Do you see that big airplane eating rock in front of us? Maybe we should bank and turn?????

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't think they HAD trees in A-stan.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]
That'll buff right out!
Seriously, it took this long for that reply?  I gave you geniuses a chance...
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Did that to one of our P-3's not to long ago..........however I think we pulled like 6 G's...Plane was able to limp back to base.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow! Not something I would care to experience. Our E models are on their way out the door and I would NOT want to test the wings on any of them I've flown.

That being said, an instructor once gave me some good advice "Always take the thing that might kill you over the thing that will"

Many have tried to fly the Herk through a mountain, none have succeeded.

Glad the crew got home safe.

Quoted:
Did that to one of our P-3's not to long ago..........however I think we pulled like 6 G's...Plane was able to limp back to base.

Was that the one that lost an outboard engine then banked into it at near full power?
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's an old E model that we wouldn't be flying again anyways.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow! Not something I would care to experience. Our E models are on their way out the door and I would NOT want to test the wings on any of them I've flown.

That being said, an instructor once gave me some good advice "Always take the thing that might kill you over the thing that will"

Glad the crew got home safe.

Quoted:

Was that the one that lost an outboard engine then banked into it at near full power?

No it was a training mission and they had bad SA and there speed decreased to the stall point they flat spun out of control from 13,000 ft until they recovered at about 150ft by pulling all those G's, busting the fuel tanks in one wing and buckling a shit ton of wing and fuselage surfaces and tearing off part of a flap and cracking about half of the wing spars. Who needs AAA fire when we almost do it ourselves.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You should try reading, it's informative.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It's a 'loaner' while they BUY 5 more....

You know, kind of like the car dealership letting you drive a 'courtesy car' while they get yours fixed/ready....

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of FCC are you?

No "fucks" or "shits"?

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of FCC are you?
No "fucks" or "shits"?

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Note to self....

Don't listen to snuffy if he says something about Afghanistan.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#31]
You break it, you buy it!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Poor ol' Herky Girl.

Kinda ironic considering My favorite nickname for My precious Herky's is:

"Polish Whisper Jet"

I was standing behind the Pilota once during a 2.3  g turn......My knees wanted to buckle
because for a few seconds I weighed 414 lbs!
The Organic Control Column Actuator in the Pilota seat quickly reset the G-Meter tattle tale.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, kind of like the car dealership letting you drive a 'courtesy car' while they get yours fixed/ready....

Oh so now the US is to be run like a fucking car dealership.  I didn't know that its the .gov's job to sell planes, and hand out loaners.  here I thought it was supposed to run a country.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the headline.

They grounded their 'Fleet' of one operational Hercules.

Looks like it grounded itself.....

As for Poland, watch out, they are the up and comers in Eastern Europe and we want them on our side.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Kinda ironic considering My favorite nickname for My precious Herky's is:

"Polish Whisper Jet"

Four-Fan Trashcan?

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh so now the US is to be run like a fucking car dealership.  I didn't know that its the .gov's job to sell planes, and hand out loaners.  here I thought it was supposed to run a country.

Which is a better deal?  Selling old airplanes to an ally that will make them more self-reliant or putting the planes into AMARC to never fly again?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#37]
So what is the g limit for one of those trash haulers?

I'm use to fighters that 4 G's is just getting started.   We had one of our F-15's last summer pull 12.5 that we only found one crack on
that was caused by the over g.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#38]
So now Lockeed ranks with Boeing as a plane you can yank on hard enough to bend to avoid breaking it.  If it was a 'bus, the flight control computer would've still been trying to figure out WHY the pilot yanked so hard on the yoke when the vertical stab. crunched through the windscreen.

ka
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm use to fighters that 4 G's is just getting started.   We had one of our F-15's last summer pull 12.5 that we only found one crack on

I can't speak for the herc, but I believe my 135's limit is 2.5, but I wouldn't want to be onboard when a pilot decided to test that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How'd the pilot fair?  Did he manage to stay conscious?

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd the pilot fair?  Did he manage to stay conscious?

For the 12.5 he stayed conscious, but not for the 9.2 that caused him to pull the 12.5.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is a better deal?  Selling old airplanes to an ally that will make them more self-reliant or putting the planes into AMARC to never fly again?

I doubt we sold a thing, we gave away that airframe, and some outfitter got the money for the upgrades.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Leave it to the Poles to void a warranty on a C-130...

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#44]
HEY Hold my beer and watch this !

Quoted:

This.  I gasped when I saw the photos over at Flight International.  Luckily, the Polish crew lived to tell the tale.

Poland Grounds Hercules Fleet After Afghan Mishap

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=32985

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=32986

Both images © HerkyBirds.com

Poland has grounded its two Lockheed Martin C-130Es following an accident in Afghanistan on 5 February.

Sources say aircraft "1506" suffered structural damage after its crew performed a 4gmanoeuvre to avoid a collision with a mountain and struck tree tops.The incident is believed to have followed false indications from flightinstruments, they claim.

On loan to Poland since last November,the centre fuselage, wing root area and one underwing fuel tank of theUS Air Force-owned aircraft were damaged, while almost its entireelevator was separated.

The crew escaped serious injury and made an emergency landing atMazar-e-Sharif air base, in the course of which the structure next tothe main landing gear area was also damaged.

Warsaw had been dueto return aircraft 1506 in October, but had been discussing thepossibility of eventually operating the transport on a permanent basis.

The surplus USAFaircraft is on loan as a result of delays to Poland's $110 million dealfor five secondhand C-130Es. Its first refurbished example wasdelivered in March 2009, but has not flown this year due to ongoingwork. Three more aircraft should be delivered between March and June,with the last expected to arrive in December 2011.

Poland's two C-130Es flew around 220h last year, including a first combat deployment to Afghanistan in December.

<h6>Additional reporting by Grzegorz Sobczak

</h6>

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can stop being a source of misinformation now.

I was on the Poland C-130 program with L-3 and that is not the deal.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#46]
A little bondo and a few rivets, good as new.  

I bet all hell broke loose in that cabin.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can stop being a source of misinformation now.

I was on the Poland C-130 program with L-3 and that is not the deal.

I guess the article posted in the post above yours is wrong as well.

The surplus USAFaircraft is on loan as a result of delays to Poland's $110 million dealfor five secondhand C-130Es. Its first refurbished example wasdelivered in March 2009, but has not flown this year due to ongoingwork. Three more aircraft should be delivered between March and June,with the last expected to arrive in December 2011.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#48]
You mean those maneuvers I used to pull with my old AC-130 crew in my Desert Combat days wouldn't have worked in real life? Shit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Wait - 5 Hercs for only $110 mil?  Group buy anyone??
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Any one here ever hear the story of a Red Flag encounter where a Herc was bounced by OPFOR aircraft. The story I saw in print somewhere said the 130  aileron rolled back on the OPFOR bird's 6 called guns and the controller  gave them credit. Not sure if it's true but it's a great tale.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top