Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2024 6:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: schornstinefager]
As some may have seen im addicted to scratching up my guns , now I am burning them too heres the second try burning them

And the. First try

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice scratches!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That is really beautiful.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, thats impressive…
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good.  Sucks that your engraving thread got archived.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you're just doing engraving passes without any cleanup in between and at the end. Every couple cross hatch passes you should run a lower power and slightly faster cleanup pass to remove the layer that looks like a burnt rainbow. Depending on your laser source and lens (assuming 50watt with a 175 or 200 lens given the length of the slide) start with 750 speed / 24 power and increase your frequency setting by roughly double what you use to engrave. That'll give you a nice matte white or light gray finish that'll look a lot better especially when paired with a dark border.

A couple examples from things I've sacrificed to the laser:

Estwing camp hatchet
Attachment Attached File

Leatherman
Attachment Attached File

Video of the engrave and cleanup passes being done on the Leatherman. I didn't do a deep engrave since the handle area was thin, but generally every 3 engraving passes I'll use a cross hatch cleanup pass.
Fiber laser engraving Leatherman Wave Plus
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:31:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: schornstinefager] [#6]
Actually I had the cleaning passes built into the 8 hatches in EZCAD3 and No you dont clean afterwards if you want your color , I got the exact results I expected with no cross hatch in some for the reflected glitter in the green . So if I had run a clean last it would have striped it , just as the white scroll on the one gun shows striped , I intend to bright cut those scroll with my hand gravers where i did do a cleaning pass on that. What type laser and power you running ? Are you building your own patterns/art in adobe illustrator ?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:55:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ozymandiaz] [#7]
Hard to tell from photos if the burnt rainbow color is from heat affected areas or MOPA settings . I mentioned it because I've run into issues with deep engraves like that getting too hot and making the steel too hard / brittle. I use a 50w Raycus for most of my engraving, I bought it mostly for serial number markings on NFA stuff but started getting into more decorative uses. In hindsight I should have started with a JPT source instead of Raycus just for the higher frequency annealing but I don't have much use for MOPA capabilities. I'm using illustrator for all my vector work and templates and Lightburn to control the laser in place of EZCad 2.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeh I ended up with a 2.5d 100w m7 so stuck with ez crash 3  no light burn compatibility  definitely am fascinating to work with the color freqs  you ever see Victors work ?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't heard of Victor, is it an individual or a business? I bought one artwork scroll pack from Fragout when I first started experimenting with the decorative engraving a year or two ago, but since that have been using AI generated stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Victor Wolinsky …. He teaches laser science and specializes in color and easy CAD. Look him up on farce book amazing what the new technology will do today .   Its addictive Im already looking at which laser to get next UV.  ,  laser cutting table or laser welder / metal cleaner ….unsure of getting a lightburn unit 2 many operating systems between the mac at home the windows at the office ….easy crash , Adobe.  Ect How many can you keep in your head lol.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Some selective color anodizing on a stainless spyderco

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice. How long did it take you?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#13]
6 -7 hours there abouts …..developing the art work maybe a day
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By schornstinefager:
6 -7 hours there abouts …..developing the art work maybe a day
View Quote

Nice, if I did that it would look like old worn saw blade teeth.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice engraving.
Top Top