Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2011 6:06:21 PM EDT
At first, I was just going to upgrade my SSDs to the new OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 drives with Sandforce 2500 series controllers (rated at Max Read up to 550MB/s and Max Write up to 500MB/s).  After getting the drives, I discovered that my old Gigabyte motherboard, X58A-UD7, had a lame SATA3 controller (Marvell 9128) that wouldn't be able to provide the necessary throughput.  So, I made a quick trip to Microcenter and came home with a new Gigabyte G1.Sniper X58 motherboard that has the new Marvell 9182 SATA3 controller (which should have no problems handling up to 1100MB/s read/write).

Just got it assembled, and took a few pics.  First 3 pics are stock pics of the motherboard. You can click on any of the pics to view a higher resolution version of each.

System specs:

Gigabyte G1.Sniper motherboard

Intel Hexacore 980X CPU

Thermalright Silver Arrow cooler

ATI 5970 gfx card

12GB of Corsair XMS

2x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD in Raid 0

6x Western Digital Black 2TB HDDs

Corsair Obsidian 800D case

Corsair AX1200 power supply

Aerocool Shark case fans

etc, etc

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
"heat sink, not a weapon.  Cannot be assembled as a firearm"

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy balls, Intel has 6 cores out?

ETA: Did you post that on [H] so everyone can whine about you posting a gun with your rig?
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice build, sick mobo
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit I am envious of your build, great job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ETA: Did you post that on [H] so everyone can whine about you posting a gun with your rig?

There's plenty of gun nuts on [H]
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus tits, someone's got some money.

The new OCZ V3's are fucking kickass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shit, AMD has had out their hex-cores since April 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenom_II#Thuban
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

good idea!  

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I see you got that gigantor Noctua heatsink.
How do you like it so far?
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMDs is like the toyota of the computer world.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMDs is like the toyota of the computer world.

Better than everyone else?
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm in the IT biz, so that's my excuse.  ;)

The OCZs are indeed pretty quick.  Of course, I'm coming from a Sandforce 1200 series Raid 0 setup that was pushing well over 500/500 MB/s reads and writes, so I only notice the extra speed when messing with huge video files, large file compression, and encryption.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intel released their first consumer hexacore on March 16, 2010, and that's about when I got mine.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

That said, I am a HUGE fan of AMD's graphics cards.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The OCZs are indeed pretty quick.  Of course, I'm coming from a Sandforce 1200 series Raid 0 setup that was pushing well over 500/500 MB/s reads and writes, so I only notice the extra speed when messing with huge video files, large file compression, and encryption.

What are you using for encryption?
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I see you got that gigantor Noctua heatsink.

How do you like it so far?

Actually, it just looks like the Noctua.  It's a Thermalright Silver Arrow.  With the design and pastel colors (light blue fan blades and tan fan housing), it's pretty clearly modeled after the Noctua.  So far the performance has been good ... about on par with the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B that it replaced.  This Thermalright is big, but when you arrange the fans in a push-pull setup instead of the push-push configuration, you do have room for 6 sticks of RAM with tall heat spreaders.  I'm currently running the CPU @ 800MHz over stock (3.33GHz > 4.13GHz) while breaking in the new build, but I expect I'll easily be able to get 1GHz on air cooling with this Thermalright.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Whats the price tag on that puppy?
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#17]
@ HKUSP45C - I use PGP and Truecrypt at work for mail and disk encryption, and GPG and Truecrypt at home.  The Intel 980X has on-board AES encryption so it's about 10X faster than non-AES processors.

@ JimsZR2 - The motherboard is about $425 if you shop around.  That's alot of $ for a consumer PC motherboard, but I figure it was worth it since it has a built in Creative X-Fi sound processor and Bigfoot Networks Killer network processing unit (and all of the regular Gigabyte goodies).  And I figure the AR-15 theme is worth at least $100 to me too.  ;)

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
AMD > Intel.

Asus CHIV > that overpriced Gigabyte.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

AMD > Intel.

Asus CHIV > that overpriced Gigabyte.

Careful now ... I've got a Barrett in my office, and if you're in Missouri too then you're within range.  ;)

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice build. Motherboard looks silly, but it beats the shit out of my system.

My GTX 260 is aging now. ArmA 2, and I will be Il-2 Cliffs of Dover + DCS  A-10 won't run good on it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I did this a few years ago. It is the storage computer for my security camera.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@ HKUSP45C - I use PGP and Truecrypt at work for mail and disk encryption, and GPG and Truecrypt at home.  The Intel 980X has on-board AES encryption so it's about 10X faster than non-AES processors.

@ JimsZR2 - The motherboard is about $425 if you shop around.  That's alot of $ for a consumer PC motherboard, but I figure it was worth it since it has a built in Creative X-Fi sound processor and Bigfoot Networks Killer network processing unit (and all of the regular Gigabyte goodies).  And I figure the AR-15 theme is worth at least $100 to me too.  ;)

What's a decent system for something like gaming but around $700 to $800 budget?
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#23]

@ mjohn3006 - man, that is AWESOME!  thanks for the pics.  nice work, and practical too.  :)

@ JimsZR2 - for $700-800, you can build a nice gaming rig that'll do whatever you need.  You will *definitely* be able to build a much better performing PC than to just buy a pre-built, mass-produced PC.  If you don't have experience building them, just find a friend or family member with experience.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Intel released their first consumer hexacore on March 16, 2010, and that's about when I got mine.  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

That said, I am a HUGE fan of AMD's graphics cards.

Quoted:

Quoted:

/faint
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@ JimsZR2 - for $700-800, you can build a nice gaming rig that'll do whatever you need.  You will *definitely* be able to build a much better performing PC than to just buy a pre-built, mass-produced PC.  If you don't have experience building them, just find a friend or family member with experience.

I build my current 9 year old PC myself....

It's been quite awhile since I've seen the newer tech.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a decent system for something like gaming but around $700 to $800 budget?

I built a sweet AMD 6 core all from microcenter for about 525
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I build my current 9 year old PC myself....

It's been quite awhile since I've seen the newer tech.

Hell, they're MUCH easier to assemble and get running these days than they were 9 years ago.  You'll have no problem doing it yourself.  :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top