Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
Posted: 3/13/2024 11:14:46 AM EDT
New league year goes into effect at 4pm EST today.

2023 Thread

Important upcoming off-season dates:
  • March 24-27: Annual League Meeting
  • April 1: Teams with new coaches may begin off-season programs
  • April 15: Teams with returning coaches may begin off-season programs
  • April 25: NFL Draft
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Mike Florio said the Falcons pursuit of Kirk Cousins is, "the most blatant case of tampering I've ever seen."

"The Falcons pursuit of Kirk Cousins, to me, doing this 23 years, it's the most blatant case of tampering I've ever seen. Where Kirk Cousins at his introductory press conference admits he spoke to, and possibly met with, he might have blurted it out, that he met with the team's head athletic trainer during the 52-hour negotiating window where you're not supposed to talk to the player at all."

"He talked to Ryan Pace the Director of Player Personnel presumably during the 52-hour window, and someone enlisted him to recruit Darnell Mooney from the Bears. So you've got tampering within tampering. You've got multiple levels of tampering, and he just talks and he talked about it openly, like they just didn't care. It was so blatant. And he said Kyle Pitts was recruiting him weeks in advance, if he did that at the behest of the team or with the knowledge of the team, that's another tampering violation."

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
Joel Klatt (FOX Sports) has suggested that the Dolphins should draft Michael Penix Jr rather than pay Tua.

"Giving Tua a huge deal, I think it's risky. He has been injury prone ... How many times did Tyreek have to adjust on an underthrown ball?"

Spotrac currently has Tua's market value at ~$51MPY on a 5 year deal (~$255M). Which would be the same as what Hurts just signed on for in Philly. So would probably include over $100M guaranteed at signing.

Edit: Suggesting drafting Penix is a hot take. Suggesting Tua isn't worth a Hurts contract doesn't feel like a hot take.
View Quote

Did he really say that part?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

Did he really say that part?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384430/Penix_injury_jpg-3166095.JPG
View Quote
Yep. Like I said, suggesting Penix is a stretch. If he just wanted to debate reasons why Tua isn't worth $51MPY, that is a better argument.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]

To clarify, this isn't a mock draft, but a ranking of who the draft nerds think are the 32 best players in the draft right now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By kzin:

I was told a free trial didn't get live sports.
I simply paid 6$ for one month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kzin:
Originally Posted By Maverick52:

Yep, there’s a reason they require a CC for a free trial…

I was told a free trial didn't get live sports.
I simply paid 6$ for one month.

That may or may not be correct, I don’t know. I’ve had peacock for awhile so I never looked into it.

The point was their business model is designed to get revenue from people who forget about the subscription. CC needed for a free trial & auto renewal with no notification is pretty standard across services.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Why SF?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Mike Florio said the Falcons pursuit of Kirk Cousins is, "the most blatant case of tampering I've ever seen."

"The Falcons pursuit of Kirk Cousins, to me, doing this 23 years, it's the most blatant case of tampering I've ever seen. Where Kirk Cousins at his introductory press conference admits he spoke to, and possibly met with, he might have blurted it out, that he met with the team's head athletic trainer during the 52-hour negotiating window where you're not supposed to talk to the player at all."

"He talked to Ryan Pace the Director of Player Personnel presumably during the 52-hour window, and someone enlisted him to recruit Darnell Mooney from the Bears. So you've got tampering within tampering. You've got multiple levels of tampering, and he just talks and he talked about it openly, like they just didn't care. It was so blatant. And he said Kyle Pitts was recruiting him weeks in advance, if he did that at the behest of the team or with the knowledge of the team, that's another tampering violation."

View Quote

Florio’s a tool.

Outrage outrage outrage. This happens every year. Who cares?

I get it, it’s a violation technically. Players should be allowed to explore their options. It’s a job, they’re adults, they can talk to whoever they want. Again, who cares?

Florio cares, for clicks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]

That may or may not be correct, I don’t know. I’ve had peacock for awhile so I never looked into it.

The point was their business model is designed to get revenue from people who forget about the subscription. CC needed for a free trial & auto renewal with no notification is pretty standard across services.
View Quote

Yep, that's why I didn't sign up for one month until somebody here assured me that their cancellation was reasonable.
They're actually exceptionally easy.
A few seconds on the web and done.

I've had a couple in my life that should have been criminal.
Call a special number, make me sit on hold to wait for people to read me scripts telling me why I shouldn't cancel.
One phone plan f--ked me around for over 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the consensus on the QB from USC? I've heard he's super arrogant. Wonder who the Washington Redskins will pick.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Florio’s a tool.

I get it, it’s a violation technically. Players should be allowed to explore their options. It’s a job, they’re adults, they can talk to whoever they want. Again, who cares?

View All Quotes

Florio’s a tool.

like when someone signs a mega deal the minute the free agency window opens... worst kept secret in the league and you're right, florio's sucks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
What's the consensus on the QB from USC? I've heard he's super arrogant. Wonder who the Washington Redskins will pick.
View Quote

has talent, wears dresses, paints his nails, boasts when he wins, cries when he loses and refused to talk to media.. more red flags than I'd like to deal with. he'll most likely go one over all to the bears. skins are gonna pick Daniels or Maye.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#12]
Originally Posted By Bennjammin:

has talent, wears dresses, paints his nails, boasts when he wins, cries when he loses and refused to talk to media.. more red flags than I'd like to deal with. he'll most likely go one over all to the bears. skins are gonna pick Daniels or Maye.
View Quote
And his father is a walking red flag. HUGE red flag. Like Lonzo and LaVar Ball red flag.

Edit: Via an article from The Athletic:

Carl has questioned the NFL rookie wage scale, the draft declaration deadline, eligibility rules, medical testing and the ways players are paid. In a September interview with GQ, he expressed disdain for the entire draft process, where "the worst possible team, the worst organization in the league - because of their desire for parity - gets the first pick."

He was trying to get Caleb fucking ownership equity from whatever team drafts him. He threatened to have Caleb stay in school another year. Has run his kid through a publicist/management company since he was 16. He reportedly spoke with NFLPA approved agents questioning if they could find loopholes in the CBA to get around the rookie contract pay structure. Which may be one of the reasons why Caleb doesn't have an agent.

I am still praying the Bears trade down, preferably with Washington. Take the extra picks then take either Mayes or Jayden.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHunstman] [#13]

like when someone signs a mega deal the minute the free agency window opens... worst kept secret in the league and you're right, florio's sucks.
View All Quotes

Florio’s a tool.

It is ridiculous. Like the NFL catches teams possibly 1 out of 100 times then makes it a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
And his father is a walking red flag. HUGE red flag. Like Lonzo and LaVar Ball red flag.

Edit: Via an article from The Athletic:

Carl has questioned the NFL rookie wage scale, the draft declaration deadline, eligibility rules, medical testing and the ways players are paid. In a September interview with GQ, he expressed disdain for the entire draft process, where "the worst possible team, the worst organization in the league - because of their desire for parity - gets the first pick."

He was trying to get Caleb fucking ownership equity from whatever team drafts him. He threatened to have Caleb stay in school another year. Has run his kid through a publicist/management company since he was 16. He reportedly spoke with NFLPA approved agents questioning if they could find loopholes in the CBA to get around the rookie contract pay structure. Which may be one of the reasons why Caleb doesn't have an agent.

I am still praying the Bears trade down, preferably with Washington. Take the extra picks then take either Mayes or Jayden.
View Quote

To be fair, those are all things a person can legitimately dislike/want to change/want to circumvent, but a persons attitude towards it can say a lot.

As a father, I can’t blame him for kicking over rocks looking to set his kid up as best as possible. As an unbiased 3rd party, it looks bad on the kid though. It makes him look like even more of a “me me me” kinda guy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Why SF?
View Quote

BrOK PUrDy IS a syTEM qB.

Prolly.

I was listening to someone acting like Purdy still hadn't proven himself as a QB.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Why SF?
View All Quotes

Why SF?

For the future, to see other guys that he is throwing to, etc.

Remember, a high percentage of highly drafted QB’s end up somewhere else because it is hard to succeed on a terrible team.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StarCityShooter] [#18]
[b]Originally Posted
View Quote

That's not NFL

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#19]
Originally Posted By RSG:
View Quote

Isn't that guy who played for the Mariners?

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

That's not NFL

View Quote

We'll see how it goes but this could end up blowing away every NFL player related gambling scandal by quite some margin.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Joel Klatt (FOX Sports) has suggested that the Dolphins should draft Michael Penix Jr rather than pay Tua.

"Giving Tua a huge deal, I think it's risky. He has been injury prone ... How many times did Tyreek have to adjust on an underthrown ball?"

Spotrac currently has Tua's market value at ~$51MPY on a 5 year deal (~$255M). Which would be the same as what Hurts just signed on for in Philly. So would probably include over $100M guaranteed at signing.

Edit: Suggesting drafting Penix is a hot take. Suggesting Tua isn't worth a Hurts contract doesn't feel like a hot take.
View Quote

Does Miami have a thing for wrong handed QBs?

Tua may be the “most accurate QB ever” to his nightly paid WR but that’s not necessarily reality.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

So Florio is a Minnesota homer. Got it.

From all reports that I’ve seen those things did happen - after it was announced that he was signing with ATL.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RSG:
View Quote

Arguably the worst gambler with insider information ever.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#24]

A future 3rd seems like very meh return relative to the talent of the player, but it sounds like the Titans are going to be paying him a FAT contract.

Also, this frees up $19M in 2024 cap space for the Chiefs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:11:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

A future 3rd seems like very meh return relative to the talent of the player, but it sounds like the Titans are going to be paying him a FAT contract.

Also, this frees up $19M in 2024 cap space for the Chiefs.
View Quote

Long term success requires moves like this sometimes.  You also get the compensatory pick next year for him.  It's about getting what you can out of him rather than getting nothing at all.  You know you can't maintain a championship roster if you make him the highest paid corner like he demands, and you have depth at corner.  

Kind of like Tyreek why would you trade a WR like that, because you are trying to have a championship roster long term year after year.  If you are all in for a one/two year run at a championship you don't make these kinds of moves.

...but then you find yourself in a tough spot two years later losing a bunch of guys with nothing at all to show for it like the Bills did this offseason.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#26]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJSY-JRXEAA-vvH?format=png&name=900x900

To clarify, this isn't a mock draft, but a ranking of who the draft nerds think are the 32 best players in the draft right now.
View Quote

Michigan QB sitting near the Cowboys draft pick. Just saying...
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JThompson:

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJSY-JRXEAA-vvH?format=png&name=900x900

How many Super Bowls would the Cowboys win with JJ?

How many will they win with Dak?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: colklink] [#28]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

View Quote

At least as many as they won with Romo

I am a Dak fan and defender, but if he is asking for as much as is reported, 60 million a season, if they can get a good young QB in the draft I would be ok with that.

You have 5 years of cheap QB play to build a team, Super Bowl teams have been assembled in 5 years or less. Maybe not SB winners, but participants

And frankly I bet JJ McCarthy can go 1 and done in the playoffs just as well as Dak.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:

Long term success requires moves like this sometimes.  You also get the compensatory pick next year for him.  It's about getting what you can out of him rather than getting nothing at all.  You know you can't maintain a championship roster if you make him the highest paid corner like he demands, and you have depth at corner.  

Kind of like Tyreek why would you trade a WR like that, because you are trying to have a championship roster long term year after year.  If you are all in for a one/two year run at a championship you don't make these kinds of moves.

...but then you find yourself in a tough spot two years later losing a bunch of guys with nothing at all to show for it like the Bills did this offseason.
View Quote

You don’t get compensatory picks for trading players….
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
He's not making it past 5.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:

Does Miami have a thing for wrong handed QBs?

Tua may be the "most accurate QB ever" to his nightly paid WR but that's not necessarily reality.
View Quote
I believe that title belong to Mr Drew Brees currently.   Burrow has him edged, but let's see how it ends up after a few more seasons.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By colklink:

I am a Dak fan and defender, but if he is asking for as much as is reported, 60 million a season, if they can get a good young QB in the draft I would be ok with that.

You have 5 years of cheap QB play to build a team, Super Bowl teams have been assembled in 5 years or less. Maybe not SB winners, but participants

And frankly I bet JJ McCarthy can go 1 and done in the playoffs just as well as Dak.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

I mean, we aren't talking about a particularly high bar here. I doubt JJ McCarthy is there when Dallas picks, realistically I would like to see Dallas draft an O Lineman.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:

True, I misspoke as I was considering their options if they kept him under the tag this year and lost him in free agency next offseason.  They would at most gotten a compensatory pick for him the following season.  I think the fact he didn't want to play under the tag and wanted to reset the corner market played into the decision to just get what you can for him now.  I think this puts KC around 26 million in cap space currently and may not be the best thing right now, but long term it was their best option.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Janus:
View All Quotes

Yeah I tend to agree. Somebody is moving up in the draft. The chargers seem eager to trade for more draft picks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

Yep.

There are a bunch of teams showing serious interest in him, at least 2-3 of those teams are going to be competing against each other to trade up for him, and these are teams with much higher picks than the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys want to go that high, it would cost them 3 1sts and then some.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#38]
A bunch of QB desperate teams helps all the teams that don't need a QB.  It allows more talented players to fall while teams overreach for QB's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Yep.

There are a bunch of teams showing serious interest in him, at least 2-3 of those teams are going to be competing against each other to trade up for him, and these are teams with much higher picks than the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys want to go that high, it would cost them 3 1sts and then some.
View Quote

Trade Dak and 2 firsts to the Giants for #6
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Trade Dak and 2 firsts to the Giants for #6
View Quote

Dak to the Giants would be very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Dak to the Giants would be very interesting.
View Quote

Between there 2 QBs on the roster they would have to even get rid of the water boy to stay under the cap.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Between there 2 QBs on the roster they would have to even get rid of the water boy to stay under the cap.
View Quote

Trade Jones to the Raiders for a 2nd
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

I am sure it's bullshit, but have read on more than one Facebook Cowboys fans group that the Raiders may be interested in Dak?

Would rather have Dak at $45 to 50 million a season versus a rookie, but 50 is my cutoff. He is under contract for another season. Let him play it out and let's see how he does.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I have to wonder if the Patriots are going to draft the Michigan kid at #3.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
I have to wonder if the Patriots are going to draft the Michigan kid at #3.
View Quote

Patriots drafting Michigan QBs is a waste
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Page 13 is almost up and no mention of the man with the single best regular season an NFL QB has ever, and will ever, have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Page 13 is almost up and no mention of the man with the single best regular season an NFL QB has ever, and will ever, have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_7481_jpeg-3167442.JPG
View Quote

I agree. 5,000+ yards and 48 TDs in Nineteen Fucking Eighty Four is ridiculous. That was the first year I watched the NFL and I remember him doing it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#49]

I agree. 5,000+ yards and 48 TDs in Nineteen Fucking Eighty Four is ridiculous. That was the first year I watched the NFL and I remember him doing it.
View All Quotes

That was the first year I got serious about watching football as well.  I was a 49ers fan.  Although Marino was amazing, I loved Joe Montana and I believe his career would have benefitted from the QB protections we have now since injuries were an issue for him.  In about '87 my aunt and uncle from Kansas City got me to switch to being a Chiefs fan.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

It would have been even more insane if they were playing under today's rules. Kind of like comparing nba scoring leaders and having modern players getting the advantage of 3 point shots and more games.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top