Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 3/23/2024 1:42:12 PM EDT
twice as long

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article287009720.html

Most Americans intuitively know that higher education has become disproportionately expensive for younger generations—thanks to millions of graduates trapped in student debt. But are education costs really so out of reach for younger generations, considering new career opportunities and wage inflation? Creditnews put that theory to the test by comparing the college tuition costs of Baby Boomers and Millennials against what both generations earned after graduation.

Our analysis revealed a stark difference in the "purchasing power" of a college degree in the 1980s and today, driven by the growing disparity between tuition costs and wages. Even though Baby Boomers had it much easier back in the day, student debt is catching up with them, too.

In a twist, Boomers' student debt balances have recently exploded as many Boomers take out loans to put their kids through college.
View Quote

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:09:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rc2] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

What are you even quoting? Very boomer to not include any references.

Regardless that isn't remotely true
https://i.imgur.com/KOJ6PSc.png

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeS369:

"Historically, the average cost of a house in the US has been around 5 times the yearly household income."

I looked up the same chart and below the chart it states that historically the cost of a house in the US has been around 5 times the yearly household income.  

I know "Get out of here with math".

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
View Quote

LOL at the young'un stupidity.  I bought my first home in 1985 at 16% interest, added a deck and partially finished the basement.  I sold it in 1992 for a $6,000 profit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By p3590:
Both the Ds and Rs got together on eliminating bankruptcy for student loans.  Essentially, we reinvented debtor's prison. This chart shows the decoupling of tuition and inflation that caused:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Rise-of-College-Tuition_Datastream-1.jpg
View Quote

You can thank GWB
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Bunch of cry babies

Land 40 K
Tent 3K

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 7255:

I wish I was buying Apple shares in 1980 instead of not even existing yet
View Quote
nailed it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
Bunch of cry babies

Land 40 K
Tent 3K

https://i.postimg.cc/QxF417t7/Green-Rock-Glamping-Pic2-086a6040-c73e-4ed3-b835-46ec04984157-1024x1024.webp
View Quote
link to $40k lots in montucky?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:22:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#7]
Originally Posted By Jacon:

You can thank GWB
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jacon:
Originally Posted By p3590:
Both the Ds and Rs got together on eliminating bankruptcy for student loans.  Essentially, we reinvented debtor's prison. This chart shows the decoupling of tuition and inflation that caused:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Rise-of-College-Tuition_Datastream-1.jpg

You can thank GWB

He was running the house and senate in 1976? In fact, what party controlled both house and senate AND had the white house [in november]? [Ford was not a bad guy but he was a weak President with no actual power for the most part]

Go back to preschool and relearn actual history.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Voicing your opinion on things and talking about new ideas or ways to do things is much different.
That is being productive.
If you don't want to advance and gain boss experiences that could lead to a better "career" that's your deal.

I see whining...
"It's too early"
"It's too hard"
"My hands are dirty"
"I need a safe space"
"I need free coffee and snacks"

I'm talking about bitching and crying.

Dude can't get a job or a promotion because his hair is fucking blue and orange, yet he's bitching about being treated unfair.
Fuck him!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bat15:

Like I give a rats ass about your avocado toast? Watching the grandkids play t-ball is a higher priority than watching you drink your lattes.

Maybe some of you kids should learn to enjoy life without wasting money you don’t have.
View Quote

So, the credit economy driven by boomers,
Resulted in a bunch of zoomers and millenials with pontoon boats, fishing boats, Harley’s, weekend vettes, second homes, etc.?

I’m pretty sure boomers were heavy in on the spending money they don’t have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
link to $40k lots in montucky?
View Quote

There you go Now you can put up your dream tent  

https://www.land.com/property/Fort-Smith-Montana-59035/17557815/
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Bunch of cry babies

Land 40 K
Tent 3K

https://i.postimg.cc/QxF417t7/Green-Rock-Glamping-Pic2-086a6040-c73e-4ed3-b835-46ec04984157-1024x1024.webp
View Quote

Look at Mr. Fancy pants with his tent. Isn't a lean to good enough?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:33:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrayMan66] [#12]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

60K a year is like 75th percentile income in SC.
The median home price in SC is selling at over 360K.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

60K a year is like 75th percentile income in SC.
The median home price in SC is selling at over 360K.

Yes, the income percentiles are skewed when you include all of the lazy people on the dole.  There are good jobs here for people willing to work.  The same logic goes for home prices.  Including expensive regions like Charleston, Horry County (grand strand), Lexington and Greenville Counties brings the median way up.  Other counties have jobs and smaller towns with lower priced homes.

Homes under 250k in 29210 (good school district)

Homes under 250k in Greenwood area (nice small city)

Young adults actually respect people that grew up during the Great Depression then went off to WWII.
They had it harder.

Most of them don't from what I've seen.

boomers telling young people how hard things were for that generation sound like assholes.
Because that is not how it was for the boomer generation.

I'm GenX and I'm saying the same thing because while some things were better during my youth, many things weren't nearly as easy or cheap as today.  I can't help you understand when you can only see yourself as a victim.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#13]

There you go Now you can put up your dream tent  

https://www.land.com/property/Fort-Smith-Montana-59035/17557815/
View Quote
been looking at ghost towns in south dakota lately.

no state income tax.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Echd:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Echd:

View Quote
look at big baller over here with his lean to.

isn't a harbour freight blue tarp good enough?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By heeler1:

11. Start collecting SS and tell em fuck you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wildfan99:
1) finish high school
2) get a job WITH POTENTIAL
3) show up to work ON TIME, EVERY DAY
4) work hard, get raises and promotions (don't bitch and cry about ANYTHING)
5) buy a home (be prepared, you might have to get a roommate or make some sacrifices early on)
6) find an opposite sex spouse (now you have 2 incomes)
7) have kids if and when you want
8) as time goes on, your job gets easier and you make more $$
9) make good investments
10) retire and laugh at younger generations like we do

Thank you for your time.

11. Start collecting SS and tell em fuck you.

The winning posts!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#17]
been looking at ghost towns in south dakota lately.

no state income tax.
View Quote

You mean buying a whole ghost town ?

interesting ....

you can start a ghost hunting show  on discovery channel
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Bunch of cry babies

Land 40 K
Tent 3K

View Quote

Bigfoot will take that from ya.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rc2:

I looked up the same chart and below the chart it states that historically the cost of a house in the US has been around 5 times the yearly household income.  

View All Quotes

"Historically, the average cost of a house in the US has been around 5 times the yearly household income."

Not sure why you guys insist on just making stuff up.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rtlm:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
bigfoot will take your buttginity and then take your tent and all your provisions.

where is your god now?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I am now a believer...feetbig and mandawg are gonna visit that awesome work of canvas.
Keep the coffee warm for em.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:57:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#23]
And this shit show keeps going. I love being told how lazy I am just because I was born close to the year 2000.  Generational absolutism will get ya every time.

Also I love how nobody here tries to refute the article, they just started screeching about avocado toast, bootstraps, and lattes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#24]
bigfoot will take your buttginity and then take your tent and all your provisions.

where is your god now?
View Quote

Boomer bigfoot worked for what he has.

Millennial bigfoot takes from others.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Bunch of cry babies

Land 40 K
Tent 3K

View Quote

In many states it's illegal to live on your own land without a proper septic system installed first, even if you're just camping on it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
And this shit show keeps going. I love being told how lazy I am just because I was born close to the year 2000.  Generational absolutism will get ya every time.
View Quote
should've been buying apple shares and building your first house (1/1, no garage, no AC or heat, 870 SF of course) uphill both ways in the snow minus power tools and heavy equipment for $8700 before you were born instead of pissing your money away on food and rent.

teddy bear says:  renters lol.  sucks to suck.  fuck you pay me lol.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
zooma bigfoot says:  what the fuck, holmes?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

In many states it's illegal to live on your own land without a proper septic system installed first, even if you're just camping on it.
View Quote
the counties i've researched in montucky don't get that specific.

they just say you can't live moar than six months on your property a year unless you have a proper house.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#29]
should've been buying apple shares and building your first house (1/1, no garage, no AC or heat, 870 SF of course) uphill both ways in the snow minus power tools and heavy equipment for $8700 before you were born instead of pissing your money away on food and rent.

teddy bear says:  renters lol.  sucks to suck.  fuck you pay me lol.

https://www.lebouquetaz.com/cdn/shop/products/9inchPhilbin.jpg?v=1673896902&width=823
View Quote

“Fuck you, pay me.” is gonna be one hell of a campaign slogan for the GOP as it dies with the older generations.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#30]

https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/media-files/2024-01/harvard_jchs_price_income_whitney_hermann_2024_fig_2.png
View Quote

Two important issues with this:

1) Data only includes 100 largest metro areas in US.

2) Median home price not normalized by size/amenities/materials.  Average home size has increased by 50% since 1990 and included amenities have also.

The result is that the data includes the most expensive areas and home quality from 1990 to the present is not directly comparable.  They should have at least presented home cost as price/sq ft.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#31]

"Fuck you, pay me." is gonna be one hell of a campaign slogan for the GOP as it dies with the older generations.
View Quote
GOP has been dead for a couple decades at this point.

just like merica's been dead for a couple decades at this point.

it's cute when mericans think they can vote their way out of this shit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:

2) Median home price not normalized by size/amenities/materials.  Average home size has increased by 50% since 1990 and included amenities have also.

The result is that the data includes the most expensive areas and home quality from 1990 to the present is not directly comparable.  They should have at least presented home cost as price/sq ft.
View Quote
The small houses don't exist anymore, and in many places are no longer even legal to build.

Also, cost per square foot is irrelevant when your goal is getting any roof over your head. Put in terms of cars, 2024 Camry is nicer than a 1990 Tercel, but the Tercel isn't an option today. And barn finds are by definition not market norms.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
I think boomers struggle to realize that the following two things can be true at the same time:

1) The success you have accomplished in your life (education, career, owning property, investments, etc) was not easy, and you should feel good about them since you worked hard for them.

2) Achieving that same level of success for people entering adulthood now is objectively not as easy as it was 40 years ago.

Point #2 is an objective fact, not an opinion. Wages have not risen with inflation in that time period. However, education (which is still widely necessary for high paying jobs) has risen exponentially. Housing prices have risen exponentially. The same lifestyle that someone could enjoy on an average wage/salary in 1985 is not available to people earning an average wage/salary now. Again, this is not my opinion, this is an objective fact.

If I were a boomer who loved America, democracy, capitalism, and the way that we operate as a nation, the things that resulted in defeating communism in the cold war, I'd be invested in keeping that alive for the next generation. People with money, with houses, who pay taxes, don't vote for people who want to take their money or property. There has never once been a country full of happy middle class people that decided to implement communism, it is always countries full of disillusioned poor people.

But, instead, as you can see on this website, even acknowledging the reality in point #2 is somehow kryptonite to the one demographic with the most political power in this country. You can admit that things are harder for young people now than they were for you when you were that age. This does not mean that you didn't work hard for what you have now. However, ignoring the reality that it takes much, much more work to achieve the same results now is exactly why "ok boomer" is so widespread.

There is no reason to ignore reality unless you have personal issues which prevent you from doing so.
View Quote

One of the few rational posts being made in this thread instead of boomer memes and zoomer’s are gay screeds.  

The issue is exactly correct.  As policy is made that continues to grind away the middle class there will be growing discontent that someone has 2 houses while they have no chance of obtaining any house at all. That’s not a good scenario when enough people enter that category.  

Its just as frustrating however, to watch as younger generations continue to make the political choices to intensify the problems that are creating this scenario and then complain about them. They overwhelmingly vote for the party that wants to pour gas on the fire of inflation and to steal more from the first mother fucker to poke his head up out of the scrum and get somewhere ahead.  

Yes.  You may just get your communism eventually, and you’ll be 10 times as miserable as you are now.  But at least the bread you couldn’t find was free.   It seems to be a mistake we are genetically programmed to keep making.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#35]
@eagarminuteman

i've told this story many times before but here we go.gif

i used to work with a bunch of useless jagoff b**mas who were so proud of themselves for buying their first house in 1988 five years out of college for $30k.

i googled the (brand new stahtah home at the time in a decent area) house from 1988 and naturally that's a (piece of shit beat down shitbox little house in a not great area) $600k house today for... reasons.

one of the useless FUPA b**mas wouldn't shut his fucking gaping cockholster so i finally snapped and asked what he was making in 1988.

FUPA b**ma:  $15k.

so that's like me five years out of skool making $300k/yr and buying my first house for $600k.

little does dumb motherfucker FUPA b**ma realize that adjusted for inflation/whateva i'm making a fraction of what he made.

same guy, same qualifications, same skillsets, same company, same job.

just 30-40 years later.

goddamn.

View Quote

Those numbers don’t make sense. What did they do for a living? I worked full time at McDonalds my senior year in high school (1987) and made more than that. 15k comes out to $7.21/hour. I started at $7.50/hour. In the 80’s there were more jobs than people, so most fast food chains were paying more than double the minimum wage to compete for high school kids to flip burgers. Minimum wage was $3.15/hour.

And $30k for a house? Where? My mother paid $170k for a little house in the middle of nowhere in Maine in ‘86 and my father paid $190k for his house in Boston in ‘89.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Yea Wichita KS and Fort Wayne, IN really skew the data towards more expensive
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#37]

https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/media-files/2024-01/harvard_jchs_price_income_whitney_hermann_2024_fig_2.png
View All Quotes

They are probably pulling some stats from including the 1970’s and before. When many boomers were still living at home.

40+ years of the Greenspan put is going to wreak havoc. I anticipate a lot of screaming when the QALY shows up. Math just is.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
The small houses don't exist anymore, and in many places are no longer even legal to build.

Also, cost per square foot is irrelevant when your goal is getting any roof over your head. Put in terms of cars, 2024 Camry is nicer than a 1990 Tercel, but the Tercel isn't an option today. And barn finds are by definition not market norms.
View Quote
roof?

2030 is gonna be renting someone's backyard to erect your walmaht tent in and use the wifi.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

BS.  I linked to real zillow listings a little while ago.  And many metro areas are now encouraging ADUs and tiny homes in existing neighborhoods.

Not following your logic.  The graph in question was flawed as I pointed out.  And if all you want is "any roof over your head" there are plenty of 40, 50, 60 year old homes on the market (i.e. the 1990 Tercels are everywhere).  Buy one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rtlm] [#40]
roof?

2030 is gonna be renting someone's backyard to erect your walmaht tent in and use the wifi.
View Quote

You be the warlord
I'll be the landlord
Win win
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Yea Wichita KS and Fort Wayne, IN really skew the data towards more expensive
View Quote

Not nearly as much (in the opposite direction) as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Silicon Valley (San Jose), San Diego, NYC, Boston, DC, and Seattle do with a total of several million data points compared to your two cherry-picked examples which might include half a million.  Math.  Learn it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Not nearly as much (in the opposite direction) as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Silicon Valley (San Jose), San Diego, NYC, Boston, DC, and Seattle do with a total of several million data points compared to your two cherry-picked examples which might include half a million.  Math.  Learn it.
View Quote

math?

fuck.

i don't even know how to read.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Lol. I'm a millennial. I own my own company, pay for my own insurance, never went to college (got a job instead).
View Quote

Great!  I've met a few like you.  Keep setting the standard for your generation.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I showed examples of growth in both national and regional data.

Why don't you show us something that shows rural prices have not similarly grown? Hint: you can't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:49:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jayne_Cobb] [#46]

BS.  I linked to real zillow listings a little while ago.  And many metro areas are now encouraging ADUs and tiny homes in existing neighborhoods.

Not following your logic.  The graph in question was flawed as I pointed out.  And if all you want is "any roof over your head" there are plenty of 40, 50, 60 year old homes on the market (i.e. the 1990 Tercels are everywhere).  Buy one.
View All Quotes

I'll let someone else deal with your first point. If building codes are loosening, that's a great development, but it certainly isn't common or widespread yet.

I'll try to be more clear: raising the price of entry level goods results in fewer market entries. Regardless of quality, elevating baseline price chills market entry. Purchasing any running car is disproportionately more costly than it was 30 years ago, new or used.

And no, stickered Tercels are not everywhere. They have rusted to dust anywhere that salts their roads. Altimas now hold that market segment, and they still cost more. Likewise, the starter homes of yesteryear have received additions and renovations, elevating the market floor.

Perhaps the 700sf 1 bath, slab-foundation starter home in a safe neighborhood was the societal exception.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I hear the cities of Detroit and Baltimore are making really nice deals on houses and are giving huge tax breaks to those pioneers ready to come and buy.
Here's your chance to get 1975 prices in 2024!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#48]
I hear the cities of Detroit and Baltimore are making really nice deals on houses and are giving huge tax breaks to those pioneers ready to come and buy.
Here's your chance to get 1975 prices in 2024!!!
View Quote
so when are you moving?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#49]
So much whining.. lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

"Fuck you, pay me." is gonna be one hell of a campaign slogan for the GOP as it dies with the older generations.

Fixing the country is easy. Getting the right people, in the right place, to do the necessary things is difficult.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Top Top