Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 56
Posted: 3/26/2024 3:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jinxsters]
Ship hit it allegedly?

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
I don't understand why it's so hard for people in this thread, and on GD in general, to understand a simple principle: Overwhelming claims require overwhelming evidence.
Shotgunning "what ifs" and then telling other people to prove you wrong is not how critical thinking works.
If you want to claim that this was a cyberattack, or a terror attack, or whatever, you need actual, concrete evidence. Not supposition, not correlation, but actual data that proves causation.
(SNIP)
Until you have strong, concrete evidence that overrides the strong, concrete evidence that shows this was an accident / unintentional, please stop. You are making yourselves look ridiculous and dare I say it, unintelligent.
View Quote
Do you know where you are? GD is where "Arfcom's Razor" was born.

Arfcom's Razor: All other things being equal, the correct answer is usually "conspiracy."
- wingnutx
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

Only thing I saw was that they recovered a body
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
Is there any actual updates or is this just a purse swinging thread ?

Still looking for most the construction workers?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

I don't know.  The victim number hasn't made sense.  I think they have no idea how many people are in the water.

I keep hearing 6 missing, 2 recovered, but 20 victims.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
I haven't read all 22 pages, so maybe already covered.  Some sources (maybe here or elsewhere) are suggesting the ship might not have a reversing gearbox between the engine and the prop.  Therefore, to reverse thrust, you would have to restart the engine in reverse.  Not sure if true or accurate.  That's part of my question.  I would speculate normal operation would be to have an electrical power generator powered by the main engine.  Is that an accurate speculation?  My real question is, "Could one of the power outages have been indicative of a commanded engine shutdown so it could be restarted in reverse?"
View Quote
Ships have electric generators separate from main engines because main engines aren't run at all times.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait a minute... I got this... We had a big Solar event a day or so ago... so it effected the ships electronics, that were made in...wait for it...China... and they lost power and crashed, and China recently bought the sun, yeah, that's it, that's the ticket.... It's China... case closed.

I told ya I had this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By brass:

True, but if it was an attack, why did they try very hard to make it appear to be an accident?  *snip*
View Quote

Because they want to do it again?

What is the IC all encompassing argument for secrecy? "Sources and methods" or some such?

People frantically disregarding it as an accident without really knowing and accusing anyone who questions it a "conspiracy theorist" (not unlike covid, the vax or fraudulent elections) is laughable. I dont see any meaningful number of people declaring adamantly "this is hostile action", but I do see plenty of people summarily declaring that it is not.

Let's pretend you have a neighbor you have a long standing feud with. He shoots your dogs every chance he gets, and you do the same.

The greenhouse he raises crocus' in burns down, he catches the arsonist hopping the fence onto your place and he blames you. A week later your barn burns down.

Are you going to ask some questions? Or are you going to say "Well, barns burn down all the time"?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Wait until it's found out they ran out of diesel fuel because no one checked the fuel gauge and it's run on bunker normally.

View Quote

Bunkers is a general term for all fuel, not a type of fuel. You probably mean HSFO (high sulpher fuel oil) or HFO, (heavy fuel oil).  

They would be running VLSFO (very low sulpher fuel oil) and wouldn't be changing over until the vessel was well offshore.  They wouldn't just forget to fuel the vessel, it doesn't work like that. There are lots of eyes from several parties that would have noticed the vessel was low on fuel.  The fuel levels are reported in every update from the vessel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it possible this was just a tragic accident?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:13:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#10]
Originally Posted By Sparky:
View Quote

Yup.

Like I said earlier, it'll be an interesting accident model.

It'll likely start with a shit company, with shit pay, shit safety, shit maintenance, something broke because of it, then crash because of shit training.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

I don't think a ferry could charge enough to cover their liability insurance
View Quote
The MBA solution is to convert the Dalia into a ferry. It's pre-disastered.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Sometimes things appear as they actually are.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Absolutely.

Is it possible it is not?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:

What irritates is me all the people repeating the narrative "Alex Jones is right more than wrong."

But somehow dismissing every batshit conspiracy theory (like above) he says almost daily that's almost always wrong.

Events like this just realize how much I hate all media (especially cable news) in general.

Just STFU with the conspiracy theories and conjecture until you have real solid facts.

A majority of stuff being posted right now on social media is going to fake BS that's easily debunked.

It's so sad when people view a catastrophe or tragic event as a tool to spread their personal BS.

"Must have been a drunk Russian Trump supporter at the wheel" or from the opposite side, "Must be a Ukrainian DEI candidate."

All because Real_Truther_69 on twitter said so.

Just STFU until you get real facts and stop speculating.

Stop treating tragic events like it's a contest to see who can prove something first.  

Stop acting like women glued to the TV watching Nancy Grace discuss some missing person and then trying to solve it at home like you're some investigator.
View Quote

These are the sort of things that were shouted in order to quiet down the people such as, the vax, vote fraud, Russia dossier and on & on. When do you think the facts will be know. At least the truth.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#15]
In the Jack Ryan realm, now all the bridge hazmat is rerouted to a high value target corrider
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I like how the US taxpayer is going to be paying for the rebuild, we wouldn't want one of those pesky insurance investigations.

Video:

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:

I'd like to know the same thing. Closing down a highway isn't quick unless you already have people in place.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
If not already posted it will be interesting to see the timeline of the distress call from the ship, who received it and when the people at the ends of the bridge were notified so that they could stop traffic from crossing the bridge.  Is that a toll bridge because I have been on some long bridges and don't recall seeing anyone who could have stopped traffic.

Maybe it was police who stopped traffic but even at that, unless the distress call was well in advance of the collision, someone acted very quickly.

I'd like to know the same thing. Closing down a highway isn't quick unless you already have people in place.
There is no access control there. No gates. No tolls.
There are some of those big highway overhead LED signs as you approach. Could get a big "BRIDGE CLOSED" message up
there very quickly.
There is also a Highway Dept. depot just on the north end of the bridge. Some Troopers could have been there and moved to block traffic?

However, you can clearly see traffic going over the bridge, including a number of trucks and then two cars just moments before the collapse.
If they did stop traffic, it was with about 15 seconds to spare.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

I like how the US taxpayer is going to be paying for the rebuild, we wouldn't want one of those pesky insurance investigations.

Video:

View Quote

LOL,  let's call it "Potatoes Razor"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Yup.

It'll likely start with a shit company, with shit pay, shit safety, shit maintenance, something broke because of it, then crash because of shit training.
View All Quotes

Yup.

All conspiracies aside, this does seem to be the most plausible explanation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Symptom of societal decay.

Statistically speaking we're smarter than we were 100 years ago...but we may have peaked.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd341:
Originally Posted By glklvr:
I was hoping to look on page 35 this morning and see all the asinine conspiracy theories dismissed and replaced with real information, but no.

There was a woman driving!
It was a Ukrainian!
Alex Jones!
The news media says X, so I'm going to believe Y!

We have some really fucking stupid people on this site.
Symptom of societal decay.

Statistically speaking we're smarter than we were 100 years ago...but we may have peaked.  

I disagree.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I was hoping to look on page 35 this morning and see all the asinine conspiracy theories dismissed and replaced with real information, but no.

It was a Ukrainian!
Alex Jones!

View Quote

My favorite so far has been..

tHeY diD tHiS tO hUrT TrUmP aNd PreVEnT hIM fROm wInNiNg iN NoVeMbER!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#23]
The collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore "should be a manageable loss" for the insurance industry, Wells Fargo analyst Elyse Greenspan wrote in a note to clients on Tuesday.

"Most losses should go to the International Group of P&I Clubs ("IG"), with reinsurance coverage up to $3.1B per vessel," she said.

The tanker that crashed into the bridge is insured by the Britannia P&I Club, a member of the IG. Greenspan's initial sense is that the marine losses could reach the $3.1B level, exceeding the $1.5B loss from the Costa Concordia in 2012.

She expects that Bermuda insurers Arch Capital Group (NASDAQ:ACGL), AXIS Capital Holdings (NYSE:AXS), Everest Group (NYSE:EG), and RenaissanceRe (NYSE:RNR) and European reinsurers Hannover Re (OTCPK:HVRRF), Swiss Re (OTCPK:SSREF) (OTCPK:SSREY), and Munich Re could have a share of the IG program.

Property losses, too, are expected. The value of the bridge is estimated at ~$1.2B, but the insurance coverage isn't known, she said.

"Overall, our sense is the loss will be shared across many reinsurers, and we are not concerned with one player having too much exposure," she wrote.

In Tuesday's trading, reinsurers' stock weren't much affected. Arch Capital Group (ACGL) fell 0.4%, AXIS Capital Holdings (AXS) +0.1%, Everest Group (EG) -0.9%, RenaissanceRe (RNR) +0.6%. Hannover Rueck (OTCPK:HVRRF) +1.0%, and Swiss Re (OTCPK:SSREF), 0%.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:30:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#24]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:

Yup.

Swiss cheese model.

It'll be a $5 part that broke that if not for all the other events would have been insignificant.

I love accident investigations.  Shoulda worked for the NTSB
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't read 36 pages, I can tell you what happened.

The main engine quit.  Does not matter why.  No directional control via rudder.  No reverse.

The black smoke is the cold start of the aux gen.  Rich mixture.  Turbos have not spun up.  It did not get warmed up and up to speed before impact.

The aux gen engine provides power to the engine start air compressor.

The aux gen engine provides power to its generator.  Because the aux engine was cold and surging, the electrical current was outside operating range voltage and cycles.  The electric protection logic put the aux gen on and off line.  Why the lights flashed.

With no electric power, no bow thrusters.

Accident cause: no fully function aux gen immediately available during critical phase of voyage.

End.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#26]
https://abc7news.com/amp/francis-scott-key-bridge-baltimore-collapse-how-many-died-in/14576300/

An elite Coast Guard team is examining 13 damaged containers from the crashed vessel, "An elite Coast Guard team is examining 13 damaged containers from the crashed vessel, "some with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] and/or hazardous materials [HAZMAT] contents," the CISA memo said. The team is also analyzing the ship's manifest to determine what was on board and if any materials could pose a health risk, the source said.some with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] and/or hazardous materials [HAZMAT] contents," the CISA memo said. The team is also analyzing the ship's manifest to determine what was on board and if any materials could pose a health risk, the source said.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Evidently the Sunshine Skyway disaster in Florida  didn't make a big impression on DOT Engrrs . Happened in 1980 so they had a few years to do something .
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

View All Quotes

It was a Ukrainian!
Alex Jones!

Don't forget "wow, that bridge design must suck to collapse like that" from the physics majors in the group.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Too bad ARFCOM wasn't around when the Titanic sank.

"Steel is stronger than ice."
"Don't you think its a coincidence JP Morgan owns it?"
"Obviously a false flag event by the dirigible and airship companies."
"If the ship had watertight doors, how did it sink?"
"I bet someone doctored the charts to lead them into the iceberg."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:46:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trapsh00ter99] [#30]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

This is getting out of hand.

I want to see a Venn diagram overlapping the "fuck Ukraine" crowd with the "intentional bridge sabotage" crowd. Maybe we sample the moon landing hoax and the 9/11 truthers too.
View Quote
We make fun of the looney left for losing all sense of reality with "Russia, Russia, Russia" but with the looney right now you whisper "Ukraine" and brain spasms ensue. Anything happens and default response is "probably Ukrainians".

Ukrainian is one of the top nationalities represented in international shipping....I think I saw a chart earlier listing them at #2. So it wouldn't be uncommon for the captain to be Ukrainian, so even if it was true about the ships captain, to use that as all the evidence needed to suggest this was a nefarious attack in the face of overwhelming evidence this was a horrible accident is just as bad as what leftist do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#31]
Originally Posted By ClassicLugeMick:

View Quote

It was that faggot Woodrow Wilson headed to Epstein's island
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#32]
https://gcaptain.com/breaking-mv-dali-cited-for-propulsion-issues-before-baltimore-incident/

According to records from the public ship safety database Equasis, MV Dali – the ship that collided with Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge this morning – was cited by port state officials in San Antonio, Chile, on June 27 for a deficiency related to “propulsion and auxiliary machinery.”
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#33]
https://abc7news.com/amp/francis-scott-key-bridge-baltimore-collapse-how-many-died-in/14576300/

An elite Coast Guard team is examining 13 damaged containers from the crashed vessel, "An elite Coast Guard team is examining 13 damaged containers from the crashed vessel, "some with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] and/or hazardous materials [HAZMAT] contents," the CISA memo said. The team is also analyzing the ship's manifest to determine what was on board and if any materials could pose a health risk, the source said.some with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] and/or hazardous materials [HAZMAT] contents," the CISA memo said. The team is also analyzing the ship's manifest to determine what was on board and if any materials could pose a health risk, the source said.
View Quote

I cannot imagine the CDC moves anything hazardous by containers on a ship.  Likely office supplies.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

Don't forget "wow, that bridge design must suck to collapse like that" from the physics majors in the group.
View All Quotes

It was a Ukrainian!
Alex Jones!

This thread is a  perfect storm of conspiracy tards mixed in with the ‘everything is political’ crew.  Free range autism at its finest. Thank goodness that at least a few here are using facts and logic to try and stop them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By burkeva:

This thread is a  perfect storm of conspiracy tards mixed in with the ‘everything is political’ crew.  Free range autism at its finest. Thank goodness that at least a few here are using facts and logic to try and stop them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burkeva:

It was a Ukrainian!
Alex Jones!

Don't forget all the brand new cargo ship experts, ship pilots and captains, as well as structural engineers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#36]

I cannot imagine the CDC moves anything hazardous by containers on a ship.  Likely office supplies.
View All Quotes

Especially with a destination of Sri Lanka.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Probably expired alcohol wipes and masks
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

It was a Ukrainian!
Alex Jones!

lol yep. Those same people likely can’t keep the underpinning on their trailers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bmw20] [#40]
I always enjoy reading through responses when something big happens. Much like society at large, arfcom spans the gamut of “it happened exactly like the magic box on the wall said it did”, all the way to “aliens living under the ocean and mad because of pollution” did it.

What’s really fucked up is that, in 2024, I’m more apt to believe the alien story. I assume anything “official” government sources say is complete bullshit…..and I work for the government.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Socio:

The fact is there are no conspiracy theories or speculation that can be openly dismissed anymore, not with this ship or anything else.

Why?

Because there are no official institutions or main stream media sources that can be trusted to tell us the truth, in fact most if not all have been party to cover ups of it.    
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Socio:
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
I don't understand why it's so hard for people in this thread, and on GD in general, to understand a simple principle:

Overwhelming claims require overwhelming evidence.

Shotgunning "what ifs" and then telling other people to prove you wrong is not how critical thinking works.

If you want to claim that this was a cyberattack, or a terror attack, or whatever, you need actual, concrete evidence. Not supposition, not correlation, but actual data that proves causation.

How about some forensic analysis of the computers on the ship? How about an actual link from a crewmember to a terror network? Anything of that nature.

Because for now, the available video and comms evidence very, very clearly points to this being an accident / mechanical malfunction that resulted in the ship uncontrollably drifting into the support, causing the collapse.

Until you have strong, concrete evidence that overrides the strong, concrete evidence that shows this was an accident / unintentional, please stop. You are making yourselves look ridiculous and dare I say it, unintelligent.

The fact is there are no conspiracy theories or speculation that can be openly dismissed anymore, not with this ship or anything else.

Why?

Because there are no official institutions or main stream media sources that can be trusted to tell us the truth, in fact most if not all have been party to cover ups of it.    

I can go along with that to an extent.  But can you at least believe your eyes?  Because you can SEE what happened to the boat and bridge.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
There were any number of conspiracy theories proposed when the Titanic sank - it is not unique to GD though I'm sure many like to believe that.

It is human nature to ask questions and conjecture about catastrophic events especially when complex systems, technology and lots of money are involved.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
It, almost to a certainty, was. As for some of the conspiracy theories being put forward, when you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

The door was fucking big enough for both of them. Rose was a Soviet spy, sent to kill Jack to make it look like hypothermia/drowning.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#45]
So have we come to a consensus?

I asked the Q tard at work what he thought about it.

He believes this was the Obama’s however it was collateral damage.

Q and Trump’s team had intel of a 1 kiloton suitcase nuke in one of the containers.

Trump had seal team 6 board the ship but the crew had been tipped off and a gun fight broke out and the captain shot himself in the head with no one left to steer the ship it crashed into the bridge.  

The nuke was recovered. Biden and Obama are furious. But Trump has managed to save the northeast from a massive casualty event again.

I shit you not.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Q and Trump’s team had intel of a 1 kiloton suitcase nuke in one of the containers.

Trump had seal team 6 board the ship but the crew had been tipped off and a gun fight broke out and the captain shot himself in the head with no one left to steer the ship it crashed into the bridge.  

The nuke was recovered. Biden and Obama are furious. But Trump has managed to save the northeast from a massive casualty event again.

I shit you not.
View Quote

Are you an orderly at an insane asylum?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

A tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

I shit you not.
View Quote

What’s his SN here?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:09:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhyNotDev8] [#49]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
I can't read 36 pages, I can tell you what happened.

The main engine quit.  Does not matter why.  No directional control via rudder.  No reverse.

The black smoke is the cold start of the aux gen.  Rich mixture.  Turbos have not spun up.  It did not get warmed up and up to speed before impact.

The aux gen engine provides power to the engine start air compressor.

The aux gen engine provides power to its generator.  Because the aux engine was cold and surging, the electrical current was outside operating range voltage and cycles.  The electric protection logic put the aux gen on and off line.  Why the lights flashed.

With no electric power, no bow thrusters.

Accident cause: no fully function aux gen immediately available during critical phase of voyage.

End.

Thank you.

View Quote

Keep your knowledge and pragmatism out of this thread.

Better answers:

Terror attack during the slowest traffic period of the entire day.

Chinese cyber attack on a declining sea port that was already hemorrhaging containers to Norfolk.

Some of locals have simply suggested that Wes Moore wanted a new bridge.

Others have questioned why an erector set bridge couldn't withstand a 95,000 ton vessel running into one of its main support beam. "IT SHOULDNT HAVE CAME DOWN THAT EASY!"

As others have said, free range autism is plentiful
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:

Are you an orderly at an insane asylum?
View Quote

What’s his SN here?
View Quote

I am not. But I do work for the government.

He will not share his screen name. He is a member here. Says he doesn’t post much is GD. Stays in tech.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top