Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/6/2024 12:13:10 AM EDT
My son is really into gaming. I've tried playing a few and I hate them. There's too much going on, shits too quick and I find them very difficult to play. But the worst part of all are the multiple accounts and sign-ins and you have to get all these downloads and updates and they make it very difficult to just do normal shit. It's all a scam just to grab more $$ from people. Fuckin assholes.

Video games from the 80s and 90s were awesome and fun. They can take all this online bullshit and go fuck themselves with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:14:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MidwestJ] [#1]
You’re not entirely wrong, OP.

I would tend to agree with you
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I still have my original Nintendo and I play it every once in a while. Looking forward to this though.

Grand Theft Auto VI Trailer 1
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:16:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jayne_Cobb] [#3]
Playing original games that I remember from growing up vs the present steam versions is frustrating because they won't leave the damn source code alone.

Buffing and nerfing a 30 year old game every few months is just plain weird.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
Playing original games that I remember from growing up vs the present steam versions is frustrating because they won't leave the damn source code alone.

View Quote

What 30 year old game is getting changes to the gameplay regularly? Or do you just mean a re-release or remaster?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I played the newest Mario with my son and there was so much shit going on in the screen that I could hardly track my player. So many needless little animated elements, weather effects, lens glare, glitter, shit flying past the screen,  etc.

At one point I just didn't want to play any more. Made me feel old.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:20:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#6]
Yeah its all pretty much gone to shit
From

To this

The first 2 minutes of this 2 hour video pretty well summarize how fucked up its become.

The Masterpiece MWIII Campaign (it got worse)
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Echd:

What 30 year old game is getting changes to the gameplay regularly? Or do you just mean a re-release or remaster?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A slight exaggeration:
Age of Empires 2 is 25 years old and gets tweaks, new units, and occasional new civs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
My kids…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:
You’re not entirely wrong, OP.

I would tend to agree with you
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:
My son is really into gaming. I've tried playing a few and I hate them. There's too much going on, shits too quick and I find them very difficult to play. But the worst part of all are the multiple accounts and sign-ins and you have to get all these downloads and updates and they make it very difficult to just do normal shit. It's all a scam just to grab more $$ from people. Fuckin assholes.

Video games from the 80s and 90s were awesome and fun. They can take all this online bullshit and go fuck themselves with it.
View Quote

Yeah it's annoying.

Every company has it's own launcher these days, too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#11]
A slight exaggeration:
Age of Empires 2 is 25 years old and gets tweaks, new units, and occasional new civs.
View Quote

Technically the new stuff piggybacks off the 2012 re-release, but yeah, that is a very good game.

Shame RTS is a mostly dead genre.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Might have to agree with OP. I loved Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare but that’s before everything got as complicated as it has now. Was playing this earlier on Emulation Station Rasberry Pi…Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:32:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#13]
I don't know, I think games are easier now than they've ever been. Most of them are just really flashy walking simulators. That's why I don't buy many. Some of the older RPGs and simulation games are way more complicated than anything that exists now. I booted up an A-Train rom I had on drive just to see what made it a best seller in Japan, and I had no idea what was going on. It turns out that it originally shipped with a 145 page manual telling you how to play.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ARKAR:
Might have to agree with OP. I loved Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare but that's before everything got as complicated as it has now. Was playing this earlier on Emulation Station Rasberry Pi https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50570/IMG_8147_jpeg-3206701.JPG
View Quote
I'm told the light gun doesn't work on non-tube TVs. Have you tried any of those?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:35:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#15]
I'm told the light gun doesn't work on non-tube TVs. Have you tried any of those?
View Quote
It doesn't. There is a modern option available now though.
https://sindenlightgun.com/

The only issue is that it actually has to be able to interface with whatever you intend to hook it up to. If you're emulating from a PC, that's not an issue, obviously, but it could be with one of the raspberry pi prebuilds (If it supports android at all, for that matter, I never looked into it).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#16]
If Ubisoft made Helldivers 2
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:40:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#17]
I have an old N64 put goldeneye in it and continuously won against my kids until they gave up a few years back. They can kick my ass at modern games.

I play Battlefield 1 online. The WW1 gameplay is slowed down just enough where it's still fun. I'm not great at it but it's fun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#18]
My biggest gripe is the new games that require internet connection.

It isn't a problem for me now, but there are lots of folks where I grew up that have terrible internet. I can't even imagine their kids trying to play these games.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Leasure Suit Larry agree with OP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree.  They peaked around 2008 and it's been downhill from there.  

Not really in terms of graphics and open worlds, but story lines and the ability to just play through to the end was much better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I agree.  They peaked around 2008 and it's been downhill from there.  

Not really in terms of graphics and open worlds, but story lines and the ability to just play through to the end was much better.
View Quote

Agree, graphics got better but everything else went south. Greed skyrocketed and now here we are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]
My son is really into gaming. I've tried playing a few and I hate them. There's too much going on, shits too quick and I find them very difficult to play. But the worst part of all are the multiple accounts and sign-ins and you have to get all these downloads and updates and they make it very difficult to just do normal        . It's all a scam just to grab more $$ from people. ...

Video games from the 80s and 90s were awesome and fun....
View Quote

I think this may  be of some use for you.

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

For older games that are orphaned or abandoned ... abandonware is your friend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:

Agree, graphics got better but everything else went south. Greed skyrocketed and now here we are.
View Quote

We are at the point where graphics are good enough.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Or head over here and check the listings:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/

Heads up though, some of the very VERY last tube type tvs might not work with the light guns.

Ask 'em on the reddit, they'll tell you. Or if you don't want to register an account, search, someone else has to have asked.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

1.  There's several models that aim to increase the tempo of games it entices the player to remain engaged for longer sessions.

2.  Accounts are data, and data is industry currency.  Multiple accounts can pull you away from platform stores, reducing the revenue share they pay when you make a purchase, while your engaged with your more intense and longer play session.

3.  Updates are new content, which you'll pay for, and with increase profitability through your multiple accounts, and more frequently with more intense and longer play sessions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:11:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#26]
Microtransactions suck.

Allowing "inclusiveness" into the industry did exactly to the gaming industry what it did to Hollywood

What Sony is doing to Helldivers is ridiculous

Diablo 4 was a huge let down.

But what can you do? Only so much retro gaming out there
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:11:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Technically the new stuff piggybacks off the 2012 re-release, but yeah, that is a very good game.

View Quote
Still enjoying original AOE here. I did participate in Microsoft's beta when they released the updated 4K version of Age of Empires. Still really fun and you can pick up the new version for $20. But only in the Microsoft store.
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3i4tkQ2CQ
View Quote
I don't even play Helldivers. But I sent this to my sons and immediately induced rage!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#28]
100% agree OP.  It’s annoying and frustrating as fuck.  The kid spends more time updating games and waiting in lobbies than actually playing the games.   On top of that, I’m wasting my time creating new accounts, changing privacy settings, etc. every freakin time he wants to play a new game.  The industry is now designed to get kids super addicted and provide a short-lived high (no different than drugs or gambling) in order to get them to swindle more money from their parents or grandparents for “Vbucks” or other virtual tokens that they can use to buy pointless shit in the game.  It’s nothing more than a racket.  As parents, it’s getting more and more frustrating to the point where we’re about to take the video games away completely.  He’ll be upset, but it’s probably for the best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#29]
If you want to see modern gaming roasted...

Todd Howard Unveils The Truth About Starfield In An Honest Conference - Unscripted

Click To View Spoiler

Blizzard goes to HonestCon - Unscripted

Expected but I'll say it anways, language warning.

"If you ain't broke, we won't fix it!"
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree. Call of Duty was way more fun when your team looked like Viet Cong and the enemy was dressed like MACV-SOG.

It is kind of hard to play hardcore mode when you don't know if you should be shooting the antagonist from SAW, a demon, Niki Minaj or a Taran Tactical gun bunny. I get that they need to make money, but could we possibly get a system where player skins at least make sense?

Don't get me started on modern Halo. We can make the most visually stunning games ever, but we can't write a decent story anymore? WTF?

Gaming is going through the same type of stagnation as Hollywood. It sucks. I primarily play classic Halo on the Master Chief Collection.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

RTS mostly died when the competitive meta turned into APM wars with who could break a keyboard the fastest. I still remember the multiplayer transition of going from enjoying myself with dumb strategies to hurting my hands from mashing buttons just to try and keep up in matches, and the direction of 'if you aren't following these exact steps in your first two minutes in a match you are going to lose' style of 'strategy'.

Seems like the less hard core side of that industry went full in on the 4x games as it's a lot easier to force people to slow down by increasing the scale and the rest died off when they realized that RTS e-sports weren't going to be a major thing in the west.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:56:36 AM EDT
[#32]
1) Get Steam
2) Get an RTS like Company of Heros
3) .....
4) Profit

I realized a long time ago, I lost my twitch factor in my 30's. FPS games...Its an uphill battle these days. Although, World of Tanks is pretty decent as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:28:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Speaking of helldivers here's an update.
Helldivers 2: Gamers Have Won!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#34]
The video game industry has gotten even shittier. There's a company called Sweet Baby Incorporated, which sees the contracted companies have sufficient DEI characters in their storylines.

There is an app on Stream which list them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:46:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#35]
I love most all games. While I am very selective at what AAA titles I buy today, there are a lot of good smaller developers like New Blood. As far as things being too fast, some games have a steep learning curve, but once you master the controls it is fun. There are also a lot of slower paced games, but you gotta look. Stay away from Fortnite, COD, and most everything from Epic Games if you don't like microtransactions or garbage timed exclusive releases. You can always play the classics like Half Life or if you have emulators all the old PS1 games.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Here’s a decent rant about DRM.

Digital Decay Of 2000's PC Game DRM
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I miss the days of Sierra-On-Line.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:58:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's a liminal space / walking simulator (I use that tongue in cheek) game revolving around weird pools. It's awesome to be able to experience places that don't and can't exist. It's like reading a good book if this kind of medium makes an impression on you.

Attachment Attached File

Then some smaller studios like New Blood have fun games like UltraKill. That game has a lot of gore spray, though all the enemies are not human like. At one point you get to a level where all the walls are white and there aren't any enemies at first. Once you see all the walls are white, you know how bad it's going to get.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Don't write off ALL new games. There are a lot of bad actors and most AAA studios are not good anymore. Until people stop pre-ordering and paying for microtransactions / bad DLC, this won't change. I think highspeed internet allowed companies to abuse releasing bad games and microtransactions. I remember when you still bought expansion packs at the store with physical media. I think that was the height of addon content save for a few good actors today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:01:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#40]
OP is correct. Video games are gay now. RDR2 was probably the last great console game. No internet connection required, kickass single-player storyline, set in a realistic world, no need to buy extra shit, etc.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:04:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#41]
View Quote

There are plenty of slow offline games. Find something you like instead of trying to play things you won't and then complaining about it.

In particular, there are small studios and individuals making great games. Look at midnight fight express, high fleet, battletech, sifu, art of rally, etc.

AAA studios have become risk adverse which makes then bland (and that's before the woke poison). A lot of them have also become incredibly lazy. Some of the small studios and indy devs are crushing it though (most of these are PC only, of course, since dealing with the BS that goes with consoles is extremely difficult for a tiny studio or individual).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
My biggest gripe is the new games that require internet connection.

It isn't a problem for me now, but there are lots of folks where I grew up that have terrible internet. I can't even imagine their kids trying to play these games.
View Quote

"You vill own nothing (physical), be happy and eat ze bugs." -Klaus Schwab
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Millennials, gen z and DEI.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I loathe it because they've all but killed rentable game servers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Tiger Woods Golf back in the '90s required a patch download bigger than the original game to run at all. I remember EA shit that required player made patches on 3rd party BBSs to be playable.

The big difference today is that the companies are fixing the games themselves after the fact, but charging you for the privilege.

Oh, and the woke bullshit that's crammed into everything.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#46]
DEI is ruining gaming just like it is everything else.  Sweet Baby Inc and developers that hate their customers need to have their asses handed to them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Do you still have to be online with most systems just to play a game?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I’m still playing StarCraft 2.. I’m not very good at online but I don’t care. I enjoy playing.
Can’t get into any of the new shooters tho. Half life 2 was the last one I enjoyed there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/sierra_png-3206727.JPG

I learned how to type playing the "Quest" games... Space Quest was my favorite. Throw in some King's Quest and Police Quest as well.

OP: I understand in a way, I've been a PC gamer for most of my life... I've always preferred single player games, but have dabbled in multiplayer. As I've gotten older I've played less as I've prioritized "adult stuff" (gun training, exercise, house maintenance), but I still find it relaxing.

I haven't purchased a new game at launch in over 10 years - I prefer to wait until the initial bugs are worked out then get it on a 50% sale.

I think some of it is the attention span of the modern gamer - they need all that flashy stuff just to keep them engaged. I blame TikTok, Snapchat etc..
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Indie games are where it's at.

Lethal Company, Cuphead, Limbo, Helldivers 1 & 2, Prison Architect (and their new one The Last Starship), Rimworld, Hades, Hollow Knight, etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top