Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Another Paul Howe miss (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/6/2024 10:52:46 AM EDT
Why switching shoulders with a rifle is a bad idea with Paul Howe.

Geez; Paul is striking out a lot lately
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

It is easily justified through maximizing the use of cover and available support for lower percentage shots a rifle officer might take.   Only a moron would advocate exposing more of a shooter's body because they were too lazy to train to push the gun to the other side of their body.  

We take dudes and having them shooting 90+ on our qual courses (100 yards and in; day and night) where each position is shot strong and support side.  It gives the officers way more confidence to handle situations they might find themselves in since they know they can shoot the gun from either side of their body.
View Quote

And there it is...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Id make use of switching shoulders in a structure as well depending on what we were doing.  

Paul, ime, is pretty much one way or no way.   When I trained with him he wasnt an advocate of shooting on the move either.
View Quote

I trained with him around 2007,  I agree he wasn't a fan of many things I considered useful.  I just zipped my lip and chugged along
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

People want to look like ninjas on the range. But what makes guys "high speed" is mastery of basics/fundamentals.

My unit did switching shoulders thing, but I can see the arguments against it. Especially if people aren't putting in the work to be good at shooting with their support hand side.

Like I said in an above post. MOUT is a place where people have different philosophies.
View Quote

I'd wager anyone advocating training how to do it also advocates training enough to do it well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#4]
View Quote

Curious as to why you are laughing? Everyone has an opinion but you seem to think yours is the only correct one.

ETA I have no opinion on what is correct.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
What is this training y’all speak of ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
-
Originally Posted By ObsoleteMan:
...extremely few commenters on this forum have even one one hundredth of Pauls experience.
View Quote

This. I lose more ammo than I shoot and may have 20 rounds through my benelli.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#7]
Originally Posted By juan223:

I'd wager anyone advocating training how to do it also advocates training enough to do it well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

People want to look like ninjas on the range. But what makes guys "high speed" is mastery of basics/fundamentals.

My unit did switching shoulders thing, but I can see the arguments against it. Especially if people aren't putting in the work to be good at shooting with their support hand side.

Like I said in an above post. MOUT is a place where people have different philosophies.

Yeah, it makes sense.

Unless you're pretty dedicated to the craft on your own time & money. Or you're in a SOF unit with a range training budget to where you shoot so much you get sick doing it. Most people aren't going to get much experience shooting support hand side.

My Infantry unit was pretty well funded, and we were pretty dangerous with our M4s. But still we never got enough range ammunition to be working on shooting in unnatural positions beyond a couple familiarization sessions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
Switching shoulders is flat out wrong in most cases.  

Nobody shoots as well from the weak side...nobody.  Your body position is almost always super wrong when transitioning and people constantly end up tangled in their sling/mag pouches/radio antenna.  People regularly fail to manipulate the controls correctly, fail to apply marksmanship fundamentals....

YMMV.
View Quote

Hey I have no dog in this fight. I’m no operator never will be, so I have no idea if tactically it’s good or bad. The above comment caught my eye.I do compete in practical shotgun, often stages are set up to be ‘weak side’

I’m left master eyed but right handed, I love matches with weak side I shoot weak side just as good. I smash all stages like that
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I will repost my reply regarding this from another thread the other day...

As for the switching to your off hand/side. I would rather not on a two way range. Is it good to practice, yes.  But the way that I look at it is I want to be at 100% of my ability when shit is happening. I am not as confident shooting off hand and definitely not as fast. Very very few people are.

A good example is do you ever see a right handed QB in the NFL roll out to his left and then switch hands and throw the ball left handed? Nope.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By S-1:
-snip-

A good example is do you ever see a right handed QB in the NFL roll out to his left and then switch hands and throw the ball left handed? Nope.
View Quote

You might see that change if the defense is allowed to shoot at the exposed part of the QB's body.

Our LE AR15 course required about 5% support-side shooting while utilizing cover.  That's really the whole point of switching sides.  Our goal was to give individual officers the tools to survive a shooting, and it's up to them to use them or not.  As far as the initial course, refresher courses, and qual courses, support-side shooting with handgun, shotgun, and AR15s was part of at least some courses of fire.  But of course, us lowly range instructors weren't SF, so we must have been wrong.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JCIN:
As far as SOF dudes its funny because guys who come from the same place can say directly opposing things on this topic. The ones who make the most sense to me as an outsider are guys like Pranka but Bob Keller is a big proponent of switching shoulders so I figure it comes down to shooters choice at that level.
View Quote

That's because every squadron at CAG does shit different. Pranka also believes that dynamic/HR old school style of CQB is the only way to do it. Where other squadrons do things differently. DEVGRU has been doing deliberate/combat clearance for years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:11:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#12]
Lets look at what info is coming out of Ukraine.  In 2024 this is how the Russians are determining how far snipers are from their position:

Determination of the distance to the sniper's position:

After determining the sector of the sniper's work based on data on the effective distance of bullet fire (hit in the head - 50–100 meters; in the body - up to 300 meters...
View Quote

https://lethalmindsjournal.substack.com/p/i-live-i-fight-i-win-rules-of-life

That is some truly shit marksmanship coming from Ukraine "Snipers"

As far as the Russian training goes:
In war, up to 40% are non-combat losses. Causes - violation of security measures when dealing with weapons, defeat from "friendly fire" due to lack of interaction with neighbors, ...
View Quote

There is a lot to be said for having a very solid foundation in the basics.... because the basics are where things most often go wrong.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:12:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: juan223] [#13]

Yeah, it makes sense.

Unless you're pretty dedicated to the craft on your own time & money. Or you're in a SOF unit with a range training budget to where you shoot so much you get sick doing it. Most people aren't going to get much experience shooting support hand side.

My Infantry unit was pretty well funded, and we were pretty dangerous with our M4s. But still we never got enough range ammunition to be working on shooting in unnatural positions beyond a couple familiarization sessions.
View Quote

While no one knows for sure I'd wager that less than 1% of American gun owners seek out instruction beyond government supplied (Mil/LE) or government mandated (CCW) training.   And of that <1% you'll have an even smaller number of folks that will seek out pieces of the puzzle from various instructors with varying opinions and methods.  Those folks get regularly exposed to people like themselves that will dedicate the time and expense to put the rounds down range so they'll be better equipped to make the hits they need to make using whatever "standard" or "non-standard" shooting position or technique is required at the time.  

One thing is for certain,  if you ever need to utlilize your training, you'll never wish you had less training but you may wish you had more...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Gotta agree with Howe on this one. Speed and reliability over that extra .05% advantage.

Dunno about the rest of you, but I’m nowhere near as good a shot with my weak side, so I’d rather not try that shit under stress.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Gotta agree with Howe on this one. Speed and reliability over that extra .05% advantage.

Dunno about the rest of you, but I’m nowhere near as good a shot with my weak side, so I’d rather not try that shit under stress.
View Quote

I'd wager not many are,  the answer is to have a competent instructor properly train you how to do it and then practice it enough to the point that you're comfortable enough with it to utilize it if you ever need to do it.

If my wife can shoot her G19 offhand all day while clearing staged T3 malfs and getting the gun back up and running...all without the use of her primary hand,  I'm sure you're capable of getting comfortable shooting a rifle off your weak side.  With modern red dots it's easy peasy to make the hits you need to make.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems common sense to me to have and build the capability once your training hits a certain level.  At a certain point diminishing returns cut into benefits of training just one way.

Set your gear up so you can swap.  Work out how your body does it most naturally.  Practice practice practice.

I split my drills up 50/50.  If its a weapon I will use for work its set up to use off both shoulders including swapping grips because you might get shot in a hand.  When I practice dry clearing my home I have to do most of it from my reaction side do to layout.

My decisions to swap revolves around cover, movement, operational redundancy, and to a less extent concealment.  Using cover to expose less just seems to increase your chances to survive.  Certain movement direction in relation to a threat can make it much easier to get shots off while moving without fully twisting your torso.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#17]
Let’s see how not switching shoulders can play out in real life

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#18]
hes right for 95% of civies and cops

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Yes.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#20]
One thing I think Paul Howe should realize is that across the board there are a lot of illusions in the shooting community as to how complete a person's knowledge is.  People really don't know what they don't know.  Including Paul.

If you have a wide and deep understanding it is possible to make rational choices.  If you don't have complete knowledge, your choices might not be 100% rational.

Sadly, even from CAG guys I see a lot of really shallow understanding on a lot of issues.

The Hostage Rescue is a big one.  Delta has a hostage rescue mission, so they train that.  Great.  They also have non-hostage rescue missions... but to keep it simple they just adapt their hostage rescue training and tactics for non-hostage rescue CQB.  Ok.  I can accept that.  KISS.   But when their "Hostage Rescue for non-hostage rescue" training gets passed down to units who don't ever do hostage rescue... there are real concerns of a sub-optimal solution.

I've had a long convo with a Delta guy who says NO ONE should ever use point shooting for a life and death shooting situation.  He says you MUST ALWAYS use your sights.  I asked him, do you shoot from retention?  (YES)  Do you use your sights when shooting from retention? (NO).  Do you realize that retention shooting is directly based on point shooting techniques from Fairbairn and Sykes? (NO)

Delta guy was just parroting his training without complete knowledge of reality.

Should we truly listen and try to understand what these guys are saying?  Yes.  I'd wager none of us has 100% complete knowledge or 100% of the answer... not even them.

There are non-US Special Ops units that use support side carbine point shooting around barricades.  It is jaw dropping what accuracy can be achieved with minimal exposure of your body (you don't expose your head or body, just your arm).  Personally I don't like being shot in the head or body, so I like the technique.  But the technique is not for the ignorant, the close minded, or newbie that doesn't know how to run his carbine.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]

I trained with him around 2007,  I agree he wasn't a fan of many things I considered useful.  I just zipped my lip and chugged along
View Quote

Yep just like you should do with any other trainer.  Try what they are teaching and if it doesnt work for you discard it.   Paul has some great takes of things (ex: they way I teach to move into a supported kneeling position is exactly how he taught me) and then other things are like "ummm ok"   Other Delta guys I know say a part of his outlook is because he never spent time as an instructor at OTC iirc.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#22]
I will repost my reply regarding this from another thread the other day...

As for the switching to your off hand/side. I would rather not on a two way range. Is it good to practice, yes.  But the way that I look at it is I want to be at 100% of my ability when shit is happening. I am not as confident shooting off hand and definitely not as fast. Very very few people are.

View Quote

You're not good at shooting unsupported from your dominant side while standing?    

I prefer to keep the gun on my dominate side whenever possible. Im also a big fan of not getting shot and having to test the ballistic integrity of my armor
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Let's see how not switching shoulders can play out in real life

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53285/IMG_9230_png-3207080.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53285/IMG_9232_png-3207082.JPG
View Quote

Rodney would still need to show his head and left side to look around the corner regardless of what shoulder the rifle was on
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#24]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Rodney would still need to show his head and left side to look around the corner regardless of what shoulder the rifle was on
View Quote

ok...your point is?

Is it better to show all of your head and all of your upper body or a smaller portion of it?  Call me crazy but Im going with the latter
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#25]

LAPD shit-show.

Paul Howe is a cool dude, but I agree w/ OP on this one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't he get shot in the face though?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I've seen the same thing where steely eyed killer 1 says one thing and # 2 says another. I don't want to hijack this thread but for most of us, we're on our own in life. I do some things that a majority of instructors say not to do.

I took some classes where we switched back and forth and it seemed pretty easy. But I was using a single point sling. It seems too awkward to me with a modern two point sling.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By JimEN:
I've been in a class where a nationally very well known instructor (teaching the class) was asked about it by a regionally well known instructor, who also adjuncts for a nationally well known training company, who was a student in the class.

I had taken a bunch of classes from the question asker so I knew what he taught and where he stood. The class instructor advised the complete opposite when he answered the question.

So who the fuck knows.
I've seen the same thing where steely eyed killer 1 says one thing and # 2 says another. I don't want to hijack this thread but for most of us, we're on our own in life. I do some things that a majority of instructors say not to do.

I took some classes where we switched back and forth and it seemed pretty easy. But I was using a single point sling. It seems too awkward to me with a modern two point sling.

VTac two point looped over your neck only.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Didn't he get shot in the face though?
View Quote

First hits were in his vest, not sure about when he went down.....its been a few years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rtlm:
What is this training y’all speak of ?
View Quote

It's what they're doing to be ready for the realistic CQB that all patriots must be prepared for daily.

[RAW FOOTAGE] Ukrainian SOF soldier eliminating 4 russian soldiers in CQB while clearing trench
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I don’t spend a lot of time training to shoot from my week side, but at least I can do it. You know what else I don’t do? I don’t spend hours training with my back up iron sites. They are zeroed, at least roughly, but I’d rather use my time and ammunition, getting my red dot on target as fast as possible.  

I think if you’ve got the time And the money in the inclination, you should at least be proficient with emergency techniques, but I’m not gonna take away from my primary techniques. I’m not sure with the ultimate point of his video is, but I think that’s all he was saying.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
Having used a rifle in combat....thats bad advice.   Not switching shoulders puts WAY too mucb of your body into the open
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#32]

ok...your point is?

Is it better to show all of your head and all of your upper body or a smaller portion of it?  Call me crazy but Im going with the latter
View Quote

If someone is waiting for you to peak around the corner, they'll just shoot through the concealment when they see small portion of upper body. And you'll expose just as much if your head because you'll still be looking through the optic with your dominant eye
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Squeefoo:

Yes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wklDDnIzloM
View Quote

I didn't even know there were any QBs that lived in water and on the land!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Ambi lowers are overrated and overpriced

Ambi ch is as well

New whiz bang hog piss
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:42:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#35]
Do what works for you. But make sure it works. ie train

I can't hit shit firing wrong handed no matter how much I try. And if I do managed to hit shit. Getting myself all back into proper position or to deal with gear I  have trouble. Hence I will almost never fire wrong handed. I know my limitations.

Years ago clearing tire trenches in training they had us fire offhanded. All day and. No one seemed to be able to do as great as one would want and everyone naturally went back to their strongest most Familiar positions.

I don't agree with Paul that it should never be done though. Times can call for it and it's good to train for it

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#36]
So the people arguing against switching shoulders is that they suck shooting weak side so no one should do it ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Riply21:
So the people arguing against switching shoulders is that they suck shooting weak side so no one should do it ?
View Quote

I suck at it but would do it if it seemed to be the best way at the time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By rb889:

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm nowhere near as good a shot with my weak side, so I'd rather not try that shit under stress.
View Quote
Shoot weak side more
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#39]
He has a crappy outdated carbine setup.  I wouldn't want to use that weakhand either.

Look at it.  He's got those BUIS right in the way of what is probably a cheap red dot.  

His red dot's mounted too low.  2.26" helps.

He also has no laser.  A tapeswitch activated laser would be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#40]

If someone is waiting for you to peak around the corner, they'll just shoot through the concealment when they see small portion of upper body.
View All Quotes

If someone is waiting for you to peak around the corner, they'll just shoot through the concealment when they see small portion of upper body.

Very few people will purposefully try to shoot through cover/concealment to get a hit.  In most cases they become focused on aiming at what’s exposed and hits to cover/concealment are actually misses on the intended target area.

And you'll expose just as much if your head because you'll still be looking through the optic with your dominant eye

Yeah no.  When you switch shoulders the support side eye is behind the optic
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
He has a crappy outdated carbine setup.  I wouldn't want to use that weakhand either.

Look at it.  He's got those BUIS right in the way of what is probably a cheap red dot.  

View Quote

Bet he knows SLLS, LACE, PACE, SALUTE, 9 LINE, and call for fires.

Anyway, that's all to say that he's definitely clueless about being effective in combat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Have trained with Paul in the past I have witnessed his skill as both a teacher and shooter, I'll stick with Mr. Howe for the win.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Anyway, that's all to say that he's definitely clueless about being effective in combat.
View All Quotes

He has a rifle with buis. This alone tells me he is old and outdated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#44]
These guys died because they didn't switch shoulders fast enough.
Iraq GoPro Combat - Navy Seal Sniper Assaults ISIS Held House In Close Combat Near Mosul
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#45]
This guy is a lot better but he still didn't transition eyes as he cleared corners.

He probably would live in real CQB but his techniques need improvement if he wants to truly be a pro.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

If one listened before talking, they would know Mr. Howe runs a pretty slick weapon as a teaching point. It takes away the excuse for students "oh you only made the standard because of your $4000 boomstick".
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#47]
He says at the end something like “put a target at 80 yards and try switching shoulders…blah blah blah.”

I see his point there, however the switch would seem to be mostly applied to CQB stuff. Going room to room and door to door. Very close range stuff.

I feel like switching has its place in certain situations. It would be stupid in my opinion to not at least do some training on it. Special Ops guys and SWAT guys should be training it 100%.

There is ZERO reason not to. If your job is to spend 5 days a week shooting and training to raid/clear buildings then I would expect you would spend some time training in every tactic to your advantage. Even if it is an unlikely tactic.

They way Paul sounds…he would also advise to never train to shoot pistol left handed/or non primary hand for whatever reason? How dumb does that sound? lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#48]
This guy is a lot better but he still didn't transition eyes as he cleared corners.

He probably would live in real CQB but his techniques need improvement if he wants to truly be a pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0nXZ6gOnU
View Quote

House #2 is better and is generally the one I use when teaching out there  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
Switching shoulders is flat out wrong in most cases.  

Nobody shoots as well from the weak side...nobody.  Your body position is almost always super wrong when transitioning and people constantly end up tangled in their sling/mag pouches/radio antenna.  People regularly fail to manipulate the controls correctly, fail to apply marksmanship fundamentals....

The "cover" you gain is generally not cover...its sheetrock and doors...you aren't actually gaining any cover.  

You can't see as well because you are hiding behind something like sheetrock that isn't actually protecting you...but you are depriving yourself of the ability to see what is about to kill you.  

It's just stupid in 99% of cases.  Yes, you should know how to do it and there are very specific circumstances where you need to do it...but its just wrong for most situations.  

Wear your plates...expose to the point where you can see and shoot...and handle threats by engaging them with the correct level of force, not hiding from them.  

YMMV.
View Quote

This is correct. Switching shoulders seemed really cool back when I thought speed reload times would make or break the outcome of a firefight. It seems way less cool after I did time as an infantryman. Just shoot from your regular shoulder. If you need to expose less of yourself... just lean. I don't think people understand just how dog-shit tired you will be actually doing this shit and the idea of switching a shoulder at every interior corner is just adding to the bullshit that you're going to stop doing once you're sucking ass.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Another Paul Howe miss (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top