Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2010 3:41:30 PM EDT
I recently placed an order with a large gun related distributor. When selecting shipping method I paid extra for UPS delivery over the standard USPS delivery. I've had a couple packages lost by USPS and never found and UPS is always a couple days quicker from nearby states.

Anyway, the tracking info showed that it arrived at the regional UPS facility this morning. This facility is an hour from me and when a package reaches there it's delivered later that day. The tracking info now shows "tendered to local post office."

WTF is this bullshit? I pay extra for UPS delivery and they get it almost here and then hand it off to the post office to be delayed a day or 10??? WTF???
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
SOP for UPS now.  

UPS is good at moving packages interstate and USPS is good at getting packages to specific residential addresses.  Works out good for UPS and USPS, sometimes it is quicker for the consumer, sometimes it is not...

It appears to be called "Smart Post".  It saves the shipper money as opposed to regular UPS shipping.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Who is getting your money then?
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I recently placed an order with a large gun related distributor. When selecting shipping method I paid extra for UPS delivery over the standard USPS delivery. I've had a couple packages lost by USPS and never found and UPS is always a couple days quicker from nearby states.

Anyway, the tracking info showed that it arrived at the regional UPS facility this morning. This facility is an hour from me and when a package reaches there it's delivered later that day. The tracking info now shows "tendered to local post office."

WTF is this bullshit? I pay extra for UPS delivery and they get it almost here and then hand it off to the post office to be delayed a day or 10??? WTF???

They did that to me too. Added two days to a delivery, and if I had not met the USPS guy at the box, he woulds have left a note and I would have had to go pick it up at the PO the next day since it would not fit in the box.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Added two days to a delivery, and if I had not met the USPS guy at the box, he woulds have left a note and I would have had to go pick it up at the PO the next day since it would not fit in the box.

Next time you see your "mailman", ask him for the sheet you can sign that allows him to leave packages at your address. The USPS partnership with UPS is usually much faster than relying on UPS alone, but as your case demonstrates, there are exceptions.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Added two days to a delivery, and if I had not met the USPS guy at the box, he woulds have left a note and I would have had to go pick it up at the PO the next day since it would not fit in the box.

Next time you see your "mailman", ask him for the sheet you can sign that allows him to leave packages at your address. The USPS partnership with UPS is usually much faster than relying on UPS alone, but as your case demonstrates, there are exceptions.

I am an FFL, so that idea will not work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Ups does this to me as well.  They can't find my house or read the instructions linked to my account.  Sometimes I just have to goto ups hub.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the same happen with Fed-Ex Ground a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Had the same happen with Fed-Ex Ground a couple of weeks ago.

Waited 21 days for mower parts from Sears during this Home Post nonsense. I paid for UPS.

UPS tendered it to USPS in "Atlanta" some 30 miles from my home. It's not like I live in Bumfuck, there are 700,000 people in my county. UPS has a sort facility 8 miles away.

Anyway I called Sears to complain after 2 weeks of having my card charged with no parts (a wheel retention pin, kinda necessary to mow grass in the SPRING). They said I had to wait for 2 more weeks.

FUCK SEARS, FUCK THE USPS.

I got my parts a week after I called. 21 days.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to track a package down at my local PO just a few months ago.  Total pain.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SOP for UPS now.  

UPS is good at moving packages interstate and USPS is good at getting packages to specific residential addresses.  Works out good for UPS and USPS, sometimes it is quicker for the consumer, sometimes it is not...

It appears to be called "Smart Post".  It saves the shipper money as opposed to regular UPS shipping.

The only problem with this is that I need my packages signed for when they come to my door. I live in an apartment building that has a theft problem and the USPS will just leave my packages on my doorstep. A few weeks ago they left a $1300 upper for my subgun on my doorstep while I was at work all day long.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, it's some bullshit. Not as much bullshit as the watch I ordered on Friday and payed for overnight delivery still not being here...
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 3:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]
UPS doesn't want to deliver to rural addresses due to overhead (not cost-effective to have a truck deliver only a few packages in remote areas) so they have an arrangement w/USPS to deliver them. In exchange, USPS can use UPS jets carry their Express Mail packages (USPS isn't allowed to have their own planes and otherwise must rely on commercial airline flights).
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Wow.  I had no idea the gov't had their fingers into private-sector shipping companies.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
PEAK INTERNET!

It's a conspiracy to discourage people from online commerce.

That, or it's just bad business.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep, It's a winning partnership as long as you have a decent mailman (I do) and make sure your package is insured to cover the contents. I found out about it a few months ago when I was at the rural PO I frequent and noticed the UPS guy delivering packages there. I asked what was up with that and the clerk clued me in on it. He told me that usually they drop off the packages in time for their rural carriers to deliver the same day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 4:15:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I always run into this when companies ship with DHL. They get it most of the way and then hand it off to USPS to get it to my door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top