Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:13:42 AM EDT
DEARBORN — The all-new supercharged 5.8-liter powerplant in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 has been officially SAE-certified as the most powerful series production V8 in the world with peak output of 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque. That’s more power and torque than low volume sports cars costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the GT500, which is the most fuel-efficient vehicle in its segment. In fact the 2013 GT500 is the most fuel-efficient car with over 550 horsepower in any segment available in America.

full article here
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Wonder how it runs on E85? In a few years we'll know.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Im not a Ford guy but I like that car.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Most fuel effiecent also.

Thats a bad ass car.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#5]
what will those cars cost?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Is at the one where they photoshopped the front wheels coming off the pavement at the dragstrip?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is at the one where they photoshopped the front wheels coming off the pavement at the dragstrip?

Yes. I'm guessing they mean worlds most powerful production V8 as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, that was the Shelby 1000 produced by Shelby American not the GT500.  

Link

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
DEARBORN — The all-new supercharged 5.8-liter powerplant in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 has been officially SAE-certified as the most powerful series production V8 in the world with peak output of 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque. That’s more power and torque than low volume sports cars costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the GT500, which is the most fuel-efficient vehicle in its segment. In fact the 2013 GT500 is the most fuel-efficient car with over 550 horsepower in any segment available in America.

full article here

Makes me proud to be an American, that we can have such vehicles here.

Not many other nations can claim that kind of ability in terms of manufacturing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Our stealership still has last years model. The price tag is $82,000.00+
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I've said it once, I'll say it again:  Ever since refusing the bailout, Ford has been absolutely on fire.  If they could find a way to ditch the UAW, Ford would be the only US automaker within 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've said it once, I'll say it again:  Ever since refusing the bailout, Ford has been absolutely on fire.  If they could find a way to ditch the UAW, Ford would be the only US automaker within 10 years.

They did get some "help" from the .gov didn't they?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Our stalership still has last years model. The price tag is $82,000.00+

That is why they still have it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#15]

+1

I just wish they'd drop the 'Shelby' moniker. He's done nothing for Ford for decades; he's just receiving checks for them having the 'privilege' of sticking his name on their cars. I don't think the majority of Mustang buyers in 2012 even know who he is (or care), and it dilutes the Ford brand.

They should put some stripes on it and call it the "MACH1".
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whatever your local dealership decides to charge for one.

Expecting at least one local chevy dealer to get a ZL1 camaro after they are released so will be interesting to see the mark up on that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, but someone will be along shortly to use semantics to claim that they didn't.  Also, Metroplex the Wikipedian will mention that Ford skipped a year of development in the motor.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

And they don't "mean" production V8. They say it explicitly in the article.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expecting at least one local chevy dealer to get a ZL1 camaro after they are released so will be interesting to see the mark up on that.

Eh the ZL1 has been out. There were 2 in the car show this past weekend and 2 local dealers have one each in the showroom for sale.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]
do want  
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If they could find a way to ditch the UAW, Ford would be the only US automaker within 10 years.

It's not for the lack of trying: Ford offers buyouts to all UAW workers

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh the ZL1 has been out. There were 2 in the car show this past weekend and 2 local dealers have one each in the showroom for sale.

Hmmm thought it was later this spring. None of the local chevy dealerships have one in stock yet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm thought it was later this spring. None of the local chevy dealerships have one in stock yet.

Gotcha. I went and looked at the black one at Capitol Chevy here in Austin. They had a "dealer markup" of around $3K so I laughed. I can't afford one anyway but damn it, they are nice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder when Ford is going to start making a chassis that can handle this HP war?

Don't get me wrong I like stangs but I fail to see how this chassis can remotely use all this power.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Hitler finds out about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eeplOPqdyA
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Mmmm yes, do want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I wonder how much of that power it will be able to put to the ground?  From what I’ve seen the car struggles to get traction in 1/4 mile runs with stock tires.   Once you change out the stock tires to more sticky ones and it can put that power to the ground then they are able to put down much better numbers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sad isn't it? They can go fuck themselves at that price. The new motor is a very impressive bit of engineering, especially considering the need to warranty it.

It's just a shame that it only drives two wheels.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not just no...but HELL NO!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

$48,000+

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder when Ford is going to start making a chassis that can handle this HP war?

Don't get me wrong I like stangs but I fail to see how this chassis can remotely use all this power.

Depends what you mean "handle"

If you mean boil the tires on the street at 60mph without falling apart then they're golden

If you mean put it all down at the strip with drag radials, they're so-so.

If you mean handle with smaller, lighter cars on a road course, they'd be better off trimming weight and offering an IRS option than maxing out the HP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$48,000+

Base is $54k, loaded like $61k.

People are getting them for MSRP and some getting them written for less.

Dealers aren't going to be able to charge over MSRP, they can ask it and maybe 2 idiots will pay it...but not going to fly in this economy.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Just wondering, do they have a gas guzzler tax added to the cost? We have about a $1200.00 tax for the gas guzzlers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just wondering, do they have a gas guzzler tax added to the cost? We have about a $1200.00 tax for the gas guzzlers.

NO gas guzzler tax for this one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Actually, that was the Shelby 1000 produced by Shelby American not the GT500.  

Link

Quoted:

Quoted:

the shelby is a ford motor with a bigger s/c, thats it really.

Koneigsegg builds its own V8 engines and has an 1100hp model.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

its not the most powerful v8 in any way..

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#38]
it still a ford.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

its not the most powerful v8 in any way..

So, name a few more powerful series production V8 engines.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$48,000+

Dealers aren't going to be able to charge over MSRP, they can ask it and maybe 2 idiots will pay it...but not going to fly in this economy.

That was the price they stated for the stock car in one of the articles talking about the Shelby 1000 conversion.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
it still a ford.

No issue with me.

I happen to like Ford.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#42]
As a 2011 Mustang GT owner/driver I must say [GOLFCLAP].

At some point these cars evolve from fun and peppy transportation into impractical monsters.  

If you have the means it would certainly be cool but this is not a car for mortals or the masses.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but someone will be along shortly to use semantics to claim that they didn't.  Also, Metroplex the Wikipedian will mention that Ford skipped a year of development in the motor.

How many Ford bond holders got screwed like the GM and Chrysler bond holders?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$48,000+

Um...no.  We bought the 2012 Shelby, loaded with 2K miles, from a private buy at $45k and was a steal.  These cars sell at dealership with NO price breaks, no special financing from Ford, nadda, nothing!  I would say that if you dont go online to Ford.com and place the order there or the dealership, you will not SEE this car unless someone pulls up on you at a red light.  They are making about 4,000 of these cars in 2012-2013 and they are HIGHLY sought after.  This means no price breaks, doubtful any dealership will have one in stock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. I went and looked at the black one at Capitol Chevy here in Austin. They had a "dealer markup" of around $3K so I laughed. I can't afford one anyway but damn it, they are nice.

That mark up isn't as bad as I expected.  Hell, the local Nissan dealer has a mark up on EVERY vehicle on the lot...cars, trucks, SUV's, everything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wonder how it runs on E85? In a few years we'll know.

easy AND I MEANY EASY 1000 hp+. i get 360 out of a  turbo'd 2.0.

is actually sad they dont make these supercharged cars flex fuel. forced induction loves e85 and e85 actually cools the engine. cheap racing gas it is.

of course you only get about 75% of the mpg of high test but then if you're buying one of these it aint to get prius mpgs...

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#47]
i wonder how long we'll be able to have stuff like this before Obama and the enviro-weenies shut it down.
american performance cars seem to be the biggest bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
american performance cars seem to be the biggest bang for the buck.

They always have been.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$48,000+

early adopters will pay. but ford has publicly said they will build as many as they can sell. its not gonna be limited. also the production line is set up to build all mustangs, including boss 302s , gts and shelbys on the same assembly line, so they dont require their own production facility and as long as folks are buying them they can just slot them into the standard production.

im interested in this car but have concerns about how it handles. it still has a solid rear axle an weighs too much. in a year or two, a new design comes out, supposedly lighter and with independent rear suspension. also hookup with that much hp in a rear drive car can be an issue. folks that drag this cars will go to drag radials as big as they can fit on the rear.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$48,000+

Um...no.  We bought the 2012 Shelby, loaded with 2K miles, from a private buy at $45k and was a steal.  These cars sell at dealership with NO price breaks, no special financing from Ford, nadda, nothing!  I would say that if you dont go online to Ford.com and place the order there or the dealership, you will not SEE this car unless someone pulls up on you at a red light.  They are making about 4,000 of these cars in 2012-2013 and they are HIGHLY sought after.  This means no price breaks, doubtful any dealership will have one in stock.

Not really a bad price either for that kind of horsepower in basically a brand new car that is sharp. Try and build one for that! I'm talking everything new, drivetrain, chassis, interior, HVAC, ect...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top