[#3]
I hate that shit.

Oh yeah, great leadership there 1SG.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
That being said....thats a little extreme
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That guy is leading troops?   A senior NCO?
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
umm, no....

i got hazed in football, wasn't anything like that...."here let me hit you in the chest with a mallet"

in before the "suck it up" post....Like to see where this goes
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Boys will be boys.

Yeah, that doesn't fly in the Army. Especially when Senior NCOs are involved in it and are clearly culpable.

All involved should be removed from the service post haste. There's no room for "leaders" who take nonsense steps like this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
hmm, me thinks that dumbshit needs to spend some time turning big rocks into little rocks.

since he seems to like using a hammer.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
1sg... your career is over.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
nice
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The mallet was a little too much
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm alright with hazing (good clean fun, and a rite of passage in more places than the military), but that...was a lapse in judgement. The fact that he shook his hand immediately afterwards tells me there was no harm intended, but you have to wonder about the intellect of somebody who thought that was a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
While the ritual in question was certainly not well thought-out, and had a clear potential for abuse (a light tap with a mallet is okay and satisfies the spirit of the ritual; swinging for the fences is potentially lethal), this incident, if handled improperly, will result in changes deleterious to morale. I can see this leading to severe restrictions on, if not complete bans of, such promotion rituals.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]
That's pretty fucking stupid.

Have fun in the brig.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy fuck.  Not what I was expecting.  That was really dumb.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By thorshammerblow:
nice

lol at appropriateness of screen name....
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#18]
1SG fucked up.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah.  In My unit it's pretty common to catch your PLT SGT's fist at a promotion but a mallet....?

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Just real stupid on many levels
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While the ritual in question was certainly not well thought-out, and had a clear potential for abuse (a light tap with a mallet is okay and satisfies the spirit of the ritual; swinging for the fences is potentially lethal), this incident, if handled improperly, will result in changes deleterious to morale. I can see this leading to severe restrictions on, if not complete bans of, such promotion rituals.

It needs to end with a ban on the mallet swinging idiot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

yeah

Who the fuck pounds in velcro rank anyways?  While I wouldn't necessarily call it "hazing" as some sort of rough congratulation goes perfect with a handshake.  Beating some skinny kid's chest in with a mallet is over the top.  

Was that the 1SG on camera?  Fucking retarded if he sponsored this.  

Either way, since it happened in April, I'm sure he has a different job now.

There is a reason new senior and master parachutists are congratulated behind closed doors or out on a DZ in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]

I don't know what part of "hit the soldier you want to promote with a big fucking hammer" sounded like a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know what part of "hit the soldier you want to promote with a big fucking hammer" sounded like a good idea.

It might have been a lesson I missed in one of my NCOES schools.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I was going to say "Blood Wings" being smacked into your chest without the clasps on is one thing.
A MALLET?  Are you fucking Kidding me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#28]
That could have very easily killed him.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was going to say "Blood Wings" being smacked into your chest without the clasps on is one thing.
A MALLET?  Are you fucking Kidding me.

Yeah hands are one thing. A MALLET .... Fuck that! asslhole 1SG needs that done to him. Once for each rank E-1-E-8 ASAP!! then sent to Levenworth!
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#30]
IN the movies dont they have to imitate CPR and not actually pump peoples' chests because its bad for your heart or something? Seems obvious tat pounding our chest with a mallet could fuck you up internally
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#31]
This is why we can't have nice things.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#32]
if this incident happened back in April, then what, if anything, has the eventual outcome been from this?
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I never saw a 1SG involved in any hazing.  It was either Spec 4 mafia or blood rank by those that had the rank.  I didn't see too much wrong with blood rank, except for the really big guys that would bring the most smackdown they possibly could on little bird-chested kids, fresh into the Army.

I preferred the sadistic blood rank technique, that slowly pushes the pins in, ever so slowly, as there is no chance of breaking a dude's collar bone or massive hemotoma with ecchymosis.

There is a feeling of unity and comeraderie when rites of passage are appropriate for the physical condition and situation, but taking a freaking giant mallet to a small-chested guy like this could result in stopping his heart easily.  The impact of that blow most likely sent a hyrdodynamic impulse through his carotid arteries into the brain, which would cause the seizing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Hazing....no, not really...stupidity?  Absolutely..
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I can remember with BDUs when the rank was on the collar, your leadership would Blood pin you with the pin on rank.

I always assumed that went away with the ACU...because I haven't seen that ritual at all with ACUs.......punching a guy in the chest at full force is
I guess some ignorant ape...wanting to be "old school" and super hard...carried it on.

shoulders with pin on rank is one thing......the chest

bet nothing happened to that leadership...not a thing, there has been a disturbing trend in the army as the wars draw down, of bad bad, toxic senior leadership.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Side show Carnies do the same thing when someone gets promoted from throwing sawdust on puke at the tilt-a-whirl to the weight guessing booth.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#37]
wow that 1SG needs to be in jail for that shit
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#38]
There are many E-4 and below wearing the rank of Non-Commissioned Officer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Hazing:  making your ass-pirate (Spur Aspirant) tape a giant dildo to the top of his kevlar
Stupid:  beating someone on the chest with a mallet
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow a 1SG did that?  Fucking retard.

I can understand the little things.. like when someone gets promoted people give them a light jab to the rank.  But a fucking huge ass wood mallet?  Shit man, what do they think will happen when they hit someone in the chest with that thing?!

Any 1SG I had would have crushed the shit out of anyone stupid enough to do something like this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm alright with hazing (good clean fun, and a rite of passage in more places than the military), but that...was a lapse in judgement. The fact that he shook his hand immediately afterwards tells me there was no harm intended, but you have to wonder about the intellect of somebody who thought that was a good idea.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Are we Russia now? WTF? That is messed up on so many levels.

I don't have a problem with hazing if it's in humor. That was wildly dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#44]
hoooahh

We used to do the whole blood stripe thing infront of the company when a Marine got promoted to Corporal. the first time i saw it I thought, " that's bad ass. I can't wait to be the one doing that." We weren't stupid with it. However, it came down that it was not a tradition accepted anymore. So those of us who got promoted to NCO kept it going behind closed doors.
 This however.... lol. fucking hooahs. haha.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think making him a private, or discharging him is enough. I'd be singing a different tune if the soldier had been more seriously injured.

I certainly wouldn't protest 30 days and E-1.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#46]
That's not hazing, that's full retard. I've tacked on rank a ton of times, but you do it with your fist, not a fucking 20lb mallet
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I can remember with BDUs when the rank was on the collar, your leadership would Blood pin you with the pin on rank.

I always assumed that went away with the ACU...because I haven't seen that ritual at all with ACUs.......punching a guy in the chest at full force is
I guess some ignorant ape...wanting to be "old school" and super hard...carried it on.

shoulders with pin on rank is one thing......the chest

bet nothing happened to that leadership...not a thing, there has been a disturbing trend in the army as the wars draw down, of bad bad, toxic senior leadership.

a fucking wooden mallet thats a little over the top. yeah i understand a punch not full power just as if you were sparring. when i was in and my last promotion my squad leader did right in mu stomach. he wasn't much of a leader he left 2 guys out of the wire after a fire fight. they ended up rolling up with the detainee he said for them to stay with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Mallet?  Yeah horrible idea there 1SG.  Hit him in the relative refractory period, and you could instantly stop his heart with pretty much ZERO chance of restarting it.  Or you could give him a cardiac contusion and cause an arrhythmia.  Just as bad.

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think making him a private, or discharging him is enough. I'd be singing a different tune if the soldier had been more seriously injured.

I certainly wouldn't protest 30 days and E-1.

It said he had a wound that took 6 staples to close.  Since mallets are not sharp, I think that means he had surgery.  Possibly broke his xyphoid process
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow , hope that guy is never injured in combat and need the hazed to pull his out of the line of fire.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top