Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/3/2003 10:36:28 PM EDT
I was going to write some long-winded & inspirational introduction about how the fight to prevent the re-authorization of the "Assault Weapons" ban will be a major milestone on the path to ending modern American gun control. I contemplated waxing poetic about the nobility of fighting to reclaim & protect our birthright as free Americans, and how "Assault Weapons" are our liberty teeth, & as such, their continued availability to the citizenry is an essential guarantee that future generations will be able to resist the yoke of tyranny.

Then I realized that if you are reading this thread, you know all of this already, and that you are just looking to focus your energies on a structured plan of action which will allow you to expend your time & effort as efficiently as possible. You know the "why"… here is the "who", "where", & "what" [to say].

Thus, The Essential End the AW Ban Contact List & Sample Letter Thread.

Carpe Diem!!!

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500
Phone: (202) 456-1111
Fax: (202) 456-2461

I'm not so naive as to think that Pres. Bush is going to be pressured into publicly reversing himself concerning the AW ban. The point of this exercise is to levy pressure on all levels of the Republican Party, & let them know that we are paying attention, and that we are as serious as a heart attack!
The message must get through loud & clear that any support for the AW ban will have negative repercussions for the GOP!

Mr. Karl Rove
The Office of Karl Rove
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

Karl Rove is Pres. Bush’s top political advisor. Every news account I have read about Rove states that he has the confidence & trust of GWB to a degree that no other presidential advisor has possessed in modern American history.
In other words, when Rove voices an opinion, GWB really listens. If we get Rove's attention, we get the President's as well!!!

Ed Gillespie
Republican National Committee Chairman
310 First St SE
Washington, DC 20003

Additional contact info & ideas for influencing the RNC can be found by clicking the relevant link in this thread.

US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES:
Locate & Contact YOUR Representative Here

Congressman Dennis Hastert
Speaker of the House of Representatives
235 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2976
Fax:     (202) 225-0697

Congressman Tom DeLay
House Majority Leader
242 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-5951
Fax:     (202) 225-5241

Hastert & DeLay are the men most responsible for either advancing or sidetracking bills in the House. We need to let them know that their schedule should not included any attempts to renew or reauthorize the AW ban.  

Congressman F. James Sensenbrenner Jr.
Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee
2449 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-4905
Phone: (202) 225-5101
Fax:     (202) 225-3190

The House Judiciary Committee this is responsible for the submission of all gun control legislation that is introduced in the House.

Congressman Howard Coble
Chairman of the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security
2468 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-3306
Phone: (202) 225-3065
Fax:     (202) 225-8611

Congressman Tom Feeney
323 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2706
Fax:     (202) 226-6299

Congressman Mark Green
1314 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-5665
Fax:     (202) 225-5729

Congressman Steve Chabot
129 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2216
Fax:     (202) 225-3012

Congressman Randy Forbes
307 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-6365
Fax:     (202) 226-1170

Congressman Bob Goodlatte
2240 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-5431
Fax:     (202) 225-9681

Congressman Mike Pence
1605 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-3021
Fax:     (202) 225-3382

Congressman Ric Keller
419 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2176
Fax:     (202) 225-0999

***This is the Judiciary Subcommittee that is first to vote on or bury all gun-control legislation. If we all do our job, none of the replacement AW bills will ever make it out of this Subcommittee to see the light of day, let alone to a full vote on the House floor! Hence, Chairman Coble & the seven Congressmen above (all pro gun Republican committee members) need to receive our special attention!

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
United States Senate
Locate & Contact YOUR Senators Here

Senator Bill Frist
Senate Majority Leader
461 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-3344
Fax:     (202) 228-1264

Senator Mitch McConnell
Senate Majority Whip
361-A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2541
Fax:     (202) 224-2499

Frist & McConnell set the Senate’s agenda & we need to let them know that if they want to remain in control of the Senate, they will stand in opposition to any attempts to renew the AW ban.  

Senator Orrin Hatch
Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee
104 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-5251
Fax:     (202) 224-6331

The Senate Judiciary Committee this is responsible for the submission of all gun control legislation that is introduced in the Senate.

Senator Lindsey O. Graham
Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Crime, Corrections, and Victims’ Rights
290 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-5972
Fax:     (202) 224-3808

This is the Senate Subcommittee that is first to vote on or bury all gun control legislation in the Senate. We need to urge them to opt for the latter option.

Congressperson Nancy Pelosi
House Minority Leader
2371 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-4965
Fax:     (202) 225-8259

Senator Tom Daschle
Senate Minority Leader
509 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2321
Fax:     (202) 224-6603

The point of writing to Pelosi & Daschle isn't because they might actually change their views on the AW ban.  The object is to get the message across to the Democrat leadership that gun control is a losing issue and that they might want to find another issue to go to the wall on. If enough people tell them that reauthorizing the AW ban is political suicide, they just might reign in their anti gun zealots (Schumer, Fienstein, etc…) for the "good of the party"!

The NRA also needs to hear from us in droves, and the message should be clear & unwavering… Do everything possible to end the AW ban, or else!  Contact info & sample letters can be found here…

You Can Help Make the NRA Stick to Their Guns Concerning the AW Ban!

Sample letters and other ideas for influencing the RNC leadership (as well as the president’s top political advisor) can be found here…

Turn Your RNC Donation Letter into a Call to Allow the AW Ban to Expire

A tool for combating media bias & misinformation concerning "Assault Weapons" can be found here…

NRA’s Project Strike Force – Help Fight the AW Ban!

Lastly, you can wage a battle to win the hearts & minds (and political clout) of hunters & target shooters who may be ignorant of the true intent and purpose of the RKBA by taking the advice found here…

The "Assault Rifle" That You Save May Be Your Own!

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sample Letters to Draw From...

Thanks to ColonelKlink @ AR15.com

Dear Senator/Congressman XXXXX,

I am writing you in regards to the "Assault Weapons Ban of 1994". And as I am sure you know, is set to expire via a sunset clause in September of 2004. I wish and urge you to vote against any renewal of this legislation.

The banned weapons and magazines in question are rarely used to commit murders in this country. A criminal is not going to spend $1,000 on a weapon when he can get his hands on one that is often home made, cheaply manufactured, or stolen and just as lethal for less than 200 dollars. The "Assault Weapons" ban simply doesn’t work like its authors said or expected it to, regardless of what they claim. The facts can be distorted but the truth cannot…."Assault Weapons" neither cause, nor significantly contribute to violent crime in America. For this I urge you not to support the renewal of this legislation.

The ban has had no palpable effect on crime, but it has had a tremendous and terrible impact on the law-abiding citizens of the United States. Many people engage in competitive shooting programs such as the Civilian Marksmanship Program that uses mainly semi-automatic firearms. They are no longer allowed to configure their rifles in the constitutionally protected manner of their choosing. This should not be allowed to continue.

Last but not least, the ban targets features just because they look scary. The authors of this legislation honestly have no comprehension of physics or the mechanics of modern firearms. They feel that just because a firearm looks scary it should be banned, when the truth of the matter is that so-called "Assault Weapons" are mechanically identical to semi-automatic "sporting rifles."  For this I beg that you to oppose the renewal of this "feel-good" legislation.

The fact this ban has had no effect on violent crime, it hinders the performance of men and women involved in competitive shooting, and attacks weapons based solely on their appearance is more than enough justification for its expiration, and I implore you to vote against any reauthorization or renewal of the "Assault Weapons" ban.

Please do not alienate America’s lawful gun owners.

Sincerely,

Thanks to TheRifleman @ AK-47.net

Honorable Senator/Congressman XXXXX,

I am writing this letter to urge you to vote NO on any new legislation introduced regarding the so-called "Assault Weapons" ban. The usual anti-gun suspects in the Senate, Feinstein and Schumer, have introduced into committee legislation to continue the Clinton era semi auto rifle ban.

I’m sure you know that this ban has been a farce from the start. It banned semi auto rifles that looked "evil" because they have a bayonet lug and pistol grip on them. These are not assault weapons. They are not machine guns. I like to call them Homeland Defense rifles. It is a farce that criminals use these types of rifles in crimes. A criminal who intends to rob the corner store sure doesn’t carry in a semi auto rifle that is difficult to conceal. They use small handguns, which are not normally acquired through legal channels. Banning weapons because of how they look is just plain ridiculous feel good garbage.

More ridiculous is the ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I find it odd that somehow the police can use a 15 round magazine in a pistol to defend their lives yet as an ordinary Joe I am limited in my defense by 10 rounds. Is a policeman’s life more valuable than mine?

I understand President Bush has made statements to the effect that he supports the ban. I hope he is counting on a bill never making it to his desk. I will be writing him a letter stating my displeasure with his statements.

I will not vote for any politician who supports gun control. In 1994 over 60 representatives lost their jobs over this issue and this vote. We have fought tooth and nail as gun owners to get Republicans to the position they are in. We keep losing our gun rights and for no good reason that I can see. Republicans who have paid good lip service to gun owners over the years now control the House, the Senate and the Presidency. There is no excuse for any bill banning any firearms or magazines for those arms to be passed into law. Let the Clinton ban quietly expire.

The question that I need you to reply to me with is simple.

Are you with us, or against us?
Sincerely,

Thanks to ksuguy @ AK-47.net

Dear Senator/Congressman XXXXX.

As one of your constituents, and I am writing to inform you of my feelings on a very important issue. As you are probably aware, a very bad and unconstitutional law is due to sunset in 2004. I am referring to the 1994 ban on certain types of semi-automatic firearms, and the production of ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

This ban was instituted by a congress controlled by the Democrats during the Clinton administration. It is an appalling violation of my rights and an affront to all American gun owners. This ban has also done nothing to combat crime since the firearms in question are only used in an extremely small percentage of gun crimes.

I urge you to remember the oath you took when you entered office and fight to ensure that this law dies next year and stays dead. If you choose to side with the antigun forces in congress on this issue, rest assured that I will not be voting for you in the next election.

Regards,

Thanks to DonWally @ AK-47.net

My reason for writing is the "Assault Weapons" ban due to sunset in 2004. The restriction of so-called "assault weapons" imposed unacceptable limitations on America’s law abiding gun owners, and did nothing to control or prevent crime. Thus I strongly urge you to oppose any & all attempts to reauthorize this ineffectual ban.  

The shame is that these limitations were imposed simply for political expediency and "feel-good" propaganda, and without any regard for the legality of such restrictions. Please understand that the "Assault Weapons" ban is an unambiguous infringement of our God given, and constitutionally acknowledged right to bear arms, and as such, we gun owners will no longer tolerate anyone who chooses to ignore & erode our birthright as free Americans.    

When the current ban on so-called "Assault Weapons" sunsets, simply say good-bye to it Senator/Congressman XXXXX. Put an end to the foolishness of cosmetic fixes simply so some of your colleagues can say: "Look what we are doing to make our streets safer!" while doing nothing but punishing collectors and sport shooters of these incorrectly labeled "assault weapons. I implore you look at the real statistics and expose the foolishness & lies, and I ask you to acknowledge the inherit constitutionality of these firearms, and to protect our right to own them.  

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to Gobot @ AK-47.net

This letter is in reference to the legislation currently being introduced in the House that would extend &/or renew the so-called  "Assault Weapons" ban I am asking that you OPPOSE any & all legislation aimed at stripping away my 2nd Amendment rights in the name of "Gun Control."

I have decided that I am now a one-issue voter. I do this because I’m a law-abiding citizen that is sick and tired of having his rights stripped away by people that are ignorant on the subject. Those that take the time to study the issue of "gun control" KNOW that when you restrict the right to self-defense from lawful citizens, crime actually INCREASES in those areas. This is because by definition, criminals do not obey the law (if they did, they wouldn’t be criminals.) I cannot believe that the oppression "gun control" places on law abiding CITIZENS is the way to go on this issue.

Once again any elected official that represents me that supports any form of gun control bills WILL LOSE MY SUPPORT and the support of my family and friends across the board. Please do your part to cast the "Assault Weapons" ban on to the ash heap of history.  

Best regards,

Thanks to Skibane @ AK-47.net

I am writing this letter to direct your attention to the current effort afoot to renew and reauthorize the failed Clinton era experiment known as the "Assault Weapons" ban. I want to urge you in the strongest terms possible to oppose & defeat any and all efforts to see that the ban lives past it’s current expiration date.     .

The usual anti-gun politicians are calling for a needless continuation of the current ban on cosmetic rifle features such as pistol grips, bayonets and grenade launchers (are "drive-by bayonetings" or "rifle-launched grenade killings" really significant crime problems?). Not content with these restrictions, they are also calling for a ban on all self-loading shotguns (a favorite of hunters), all detachable-magazine self-loading rifles (used by most marksmanship competitors), and they seek to require gun manufacturers to submit complete lists of their dealers (a logical first step towards the registration of individual gun owners).

The founding fathers knew that a well-armed populace was a crucial, last-ditch hedge against a government gone bad. Some two and a quarter centuries after the 2nd Amendment was written, human nature hasn't changed: The newspapers still carry stories of governments that disarm their citizens before running roughshod over their rights – Zimbabwe, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi, Sierra Leone and Cuba, to name a few. Meanwhile, an armed citizenry has allowed our own country to escape any wholesale abuse of official power. To this day, it remains a powerful deterrent to any element of our government that might have designs on the freedoms of its citizens.

However, allowing that same government to pick and choose which types of firearms are "appropriate" for its citizens is like letting the fox guard the hen house – a sure path down the slippery slope to enslavement by degrees. To the greatest extent possible, that choice must be reserved for our citizens to exercise for themselves.

Hence, I urge your vigorous opposition to any reauthorization of the "Assault Weapons" ban, as well as to any other measures that effectively deny citizens the right to choose which ever means they deem to be appropriate in protecting themselves and their loved ones.

Regards,

The following three letters are mine

As a registered voter and life long resident of our state, I am writing you in order to express my strong opposition to any renewal or replacement of the so-called "Assault Weapons" ban that is set to expire in September of 2004.

As there has been no evidence presented that this ban has had any significant effect on reducing crime, and as it represents a serious infringement of our Second Amendment freedoms, I respectfully urge you to oppose any effort to renew the ban, as well as any efforts to institute an even more restrictive ban.  

Senator XXXXX, I realize that you are generally in favor of more Federal restrictions on private gun ownership.  Please understand however, that you are doing every law-abiding citizen in the United States a great disservice by supporting such measures. It is not the role of the Federal government to dictate which mode of function, caliber, or accessory may characterize the arms we citizens choose to own.

If you truly want to combat violent crime in America, please support measures that are effective and that do not infringe upon our God given and Constitutionally enumerated right to bear arms.

Thus, I once again urge you to stand in opposition to any and all incarnations of a renewed "Assault Weapons" ban.  

Thank you for your time, and I would appreciate a reply from you to learn your position on this very important issue.

Regards,

Dear Senator XXXXX,

As we move ever closer to the expiration of the so called "assault weapons" ban, I want to make it abundantly clear that America’s gun owners expect to see a meaningful and permanent restoration of their Second Amendment freedoms. Any attempts to reauthorize this failed Clinton era experiment, or to replace it with an even more restrictive piece of legislation will be remembered none too fondly on election day, 2004.

Please understand that our frustration stems from years of incremental erosion to our God given and constitutionally acknowledged personal freedoms. The "assault weapons" ban is clearly an infringement of these rights, and as such, it needs to be cast upon the ash heap of history. Any political compromises, back room negotiations, or last minute concessions that result in the extension &/or strengthening of the ban will be viewed as a rejection of our nation’s founding principals, and as a betrayal of the millions of American gun owners who work, raise families, pay taxes, and most importantly…vote.

Thus, I beseech you to stand in opposition to any and all incarnations of a renewed "assault weapons" ban, and to do everything within your power to ensure that history remembers September 14, 2004 as a day that freedom loving Americans regained an appreciable degree of liberty. Your sworn oath to the Constitution and your obligation to this Republic’s law- abiding citizens hang in the balance.

Thank you for your time, and I would greatly appreciate a reply in order to learn your position on this very important issue.

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Honorable Chairman / Majority Leader / Majority Whip,

As a registered voter, life long Republican and financial contributor to the RNC, I am writing to strongly urge you to oppose any reauthorization, reenactment, or continuation of the so-called "Assault Weapons" ban.  As Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Crime, Corrections, & Victim’s Rights, you are in a prime position to ensure that the U.S. Senate allows the current ban to expire without being replaced with any new or identical gun control legislation.

I could argue that the "Assault Weapons" ban is clearly an unconstitutional infringement to anyone who has even a basic understanding of our nations founding documents, and the political & philosophical sentiments that went into their creation...but I won't.

I might point out that in every major federal, state, & privately commissioned crime study that has ever been conducted, "Assault Weapons" play a statistically insignificant role in violent crime...but I won't.

Instead... what I am going to point out to you Chairman XXXXX, is that the renewal of any type of "Assault Weapons" ban could cost the Republican Party control of the U.S. Senate in 2004.

For the sake of perspective, I will point out that the "Assault Weapons" ban was originally passed in a Democrat-controlled Congress by a very slim margin and by a slightly larger margin in the Senate.
The result... In the 1994 national elections, three months after passage, the Democrats lost nine seats in the Senate and 54 seats in the House. There is no denying that gun control, specifically the "Assault Weapons" ban" was a very large part of why the Democrats lost the House for the first time in 50 years. Former President Bill Clinton once even estimated that voting for the ban cost 20+ Democrat Representatives their seats.

Chairman XXXXX, I sincerely want to continue my support for the Republican Party, but I know that I speak for many gun owning & non-gun owning Americans alike, when I say that how Senate Republicans handle this issue will deeply influence our actions in the voting booth come November of next year. You must understand that we will no longer tolerate the infringement of that which "...shall not be infringed."

Thus, I implore you to do everything within your power to ensure that the Republican led Senate embraces personal freedom & turns it’s back on the Clinton era "Assault Weapons" ban.  Their individual oaths to the Constitution and their collective obligation to core conservative voters hangs in the balance.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Thanks to Prometheus @ AssaultWeb.net

Dear Senator/Congressman XXXXX.

I am writing to inform you of my feelings on a very important issue. As you are aware, an ineffectual and unconstitutional law is due to sunset in 2004. I am referring to the 1994 ban on certain types of semi-automatic firearms ("assault weapons"), and the production of ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. I want to urge you in the strongest possible terms to oppose any & all attempts to renew or reauthorize this law.  

This ban is an appalling violation of my rights and an affront to all American gun owners. This ban has also done nothing to combat crime since the firearms in question are only used in an extremely small percentage of gun crimes.
I’m sure you know that this ban has been a farce from the start. It banned semi auto rifles that looked "evil" because they have a bayonet lug and pistol grip on them. These are not assault weapons. They are not machine guns. I like to call them Homeland Defense rifles. It is a farce that criminals use these types of rifles in crimes. A criminal who intends to rob the corner store sure doesn’t carry in a semi auto rifle that is difficult to conceal. They use small handguns, which are not normally acquired through legal channels. Banning weapons because of how they look is just plain ridiculous feel good nonsense.

I urge you to remember the oath you took when you entered office and fight to ensure that this law dies later this year and stays dead. If you choose to side with your antigun colleagues on this issue, rest assured that I will not be voting for you in the next election.

A response to this letter will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Thanks to Warmonger @ AK-47.net

Honorable Senator XXXXX,

As an avid sportsman and firearms enthusiast, I want to encourage you to work against the passage of any & all legislation that threatens to strangle every American’s Constitutionally acknowledged right to own so-called "Assault Weapons".

As a practical matter, roll that these unfairly maligned and demonized firearms play in crime is negligible, and the only thing accomplished by such restrictive legislation is the piecemeal infringement of our Second Amendment rights. I fear that if left unchecked, gun control measures will continue to worsen to the point that the right to bear arms will be a hollow concept, and the individual citizen’s right to personal protection will be further negated. Rather than further limiting the types of weapons that honest, responsible, law-abiding citizens have the right to possess; I encourage you to focus your energies on increasing the consequences for those who illegally use firearms in the commission of violent crimes.

Senator XXXXX, I must implore you to stand in opposition to any legislation that threatens to strangle my God given rights. By voting to abolish such draconian legislation as the "Assault Weapons" ban, I believe that you and your party will benefit by gaining the favor of gun owners such as myself and the millions of other Americans who step up to actively support their Second Amendment freedoms. I am deeply passionate about this issue, and I know several others who take gun control into serious consideration when entering the voting booth. You Sir, stand only to benefit by supporting our unalienable right to bear arms.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Well there you have it… a one-stop resource for becoming politically active & involved in the fight to end the blatantly unconstitutional "Assault Weapons" ban. While voluminous, this thread is by no means complete. Feel free to add your own unique sample letters for others to draw ideas & inspiration from.

We are presented with a rare occurrence here folks… A SECOND CHANCE!!! These don’t manifest themselves very often in life, especially concerning something as important as the preservation & restoration of our unalienable rights. We would be doing a tremendous disservice to future generations of Americans if we didn’t pull out all the stops in an attempt to kill this "law" while we have the opportunity!

The choice is clear... Sacrifice time, money, and effort NOW, or we just might be sacrificing blood & tears in the future!

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."

- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#5]
i will be modifying those letters to send to my elected officials
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT & tagged
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Marked!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Good work - BTT and pinned.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Written by a true patriot. Thanks NYPatriot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried a thread like this a bunch of times.  It will be tacked for about 2 days and then be replaced by some item AR15 is selling.

Get with the program people.  Write and call EVERYONE on this list and for god's sake mods, LEAVE THIS THREAD TACKED.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I just try to hold up my end in this struggle of ours & I hope that my actions inspire others to do the same.

Without YOUR effort & participation, these types of threads are worthless!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged for later action
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
w00t!

Thank you NYPatriot, I have been meaning to write some letters and just havent gotten around to looking up names and addresses along with taking the time to put together a well written letter. That's over with now, consider a few more letters sent.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks NYPatriot!! I especially thank you and all the others who posted sample letters. I have a hard time writting polite and persuasive letters. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
DON'T FORGET TO TELL CONGRESS CRITTERS NOT TO RENEW ANY PART OF THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN. Merely opposing a complete bill is not enough. They should not support ANY PART of it. Period. (for example controls on magazines over 10 rounds but no controls on s-a rifles).

AND TELL THEM YOU VOTE

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#18]
EXCELLENT POINT CRC!!!!! The politicians in D.C. are excellent at "sidewinding". They often slip the wool over our eyes with smoke and mirrors and by playing with "the wording" of bills and amendments.

Everyone should take note of CRC's point and include the sentence, "DO NOT RENEW ANY PART OF THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN!!!" in their correspondence.

And write several letters! Space them out over time but write them as often as you can. The more noise that we make the more likely that we'll be heard.  

HUGE THANK YOU to NYPatriot, for making it easy for us all by doing the leg work!!!

GOOD LUCK to us all!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#19]
id like to add this as a pallete to combat the BS of the AW ban and those who support it.
------------------------------
How many lies can you find here:

What is the difference between semi-automatic hunting rifles and semi-automatic assault weapons?

Sporting rifles and assault weapons are two distinct classes of firearms. While semi-automatic hunting rifles are designed to be fired from the shoulder and depend upon the accuracy of a precisely aimed projectile, semi-automatic assault weapons are designed to maximize lethal effects through a rapid rate of fire.

[Wrong they are designed to do whatever the shooter wants to do with it. There is no difference between sporting arms and so called "assault weapons" it doesn’t matter how much stuff you have on a gun i.e. lights, lasers, scopes, handguards and grips, flash suppressors ect. Its still the same bullet coming out of the same barrel at the same velocity hitting the same target doing the same amount of damage, cut the bullshit already]

Assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip,

[Wrong again, check the military docs for firing weapons from the hip, you’ll find that even their machineguns are designed to and ARE fired from the shoulder with presentable accuracy. Firing from the hip with ANY firearm is irresponsible and a waste of ammo seeing as how you can’t hit the broad side of a barn]  

And because of their design, a shooter can maintain control of the weapon even while firing many rounds in rapid succession.

[Not as easy as what you might think. my suggestion is that you try doing this sometime and then write about your own person experience with a gun rather than what you’ve heard on the grapevine]

Opponents of the ban argue that such weapons only "look scary." However, because they were designed for military purposes,[wrong again, many so called "assualt weapons" were designed by civilian mfr's and were marketed to the public after being turned down by the military. the m16/ar15 for example, or the mini14]

Assault weapons are equipped with combat hardware, such as silencers, folding stocks and bayonets, which are not found on sporting guns. Assault weapons are also designed for rapid-[here we go again. designed for rapid fire? it can be fired whatever way you want to fire it. many people put scopes on their "assualt weapons" and hunt/target shoot and compete with them in contests. the last I heard ammo isn’t cheap and firing rapidly is not something the average Joe is prone to do]

-fire and many come equipped with large ammunition magazines allowing 50 more bullets to be fired without reloading.

[wrong again, the maximum capacity of many magazines is 40 rounds. although many shooters are rejecting them because they are heavy, prone to jam and stick out to far for use with a bipod. at large the majority of "assualt weapon" shooters use 20-30rnd magazines]

So there is a good reason why these features on high-powered weapons should frighten the public.

[wtf is up with this "high powered"BS anyway? You ever shoot a .308 or a .338? That’s high powered. The majority of "assault weapons" are not nearly as "high powered" as you might think. Phrases like "high powered" and "assault weapons" are just buzz words created by some idiot that’s never fired a gun in his life that read some info of the internet and now claims to be an expert on the subject. Gee kind of sounds like you Brady bunch boys. Just because something "looks" dangerous doesn't make it more so. Most people aren’t afraid of your average hunting rifle. BUT truth be told most of your average hunting rifles could do far more damage then any ole "assault weapon" Looks don’t kill, bullets do.] [Why should the public be frightened? that’s ludicrous and ridiculous. You want to know what firearm is used in crime more than any other in the country? The .38 snub nose revolver. It has none of the features listed above but is more easily concealable and much MUCH cheaper and more available. A thing that criminals tend to go for.]

Assault weapons are commonly equipped with some or all of the following combat [self defense there slick] features:

A large-capacity ammunition magazine, enabling the shooter to continuously fire dozens of rounds without reloading. [Wrong, most so called "assault weapons" are being sold with 10 round BATF approved magazines. although buyers can buy grand fathered high cap mags for a price] Standard hunting rifles are usually equipped with no more than 3 or 4-shot magazines.

[Does this really make you more comfortable? 3 or 4 people can be methodically murdered from unbelievable range while some idiot fired 30 rounds from the hip and is lucky to hit one person and is immediately clobbered after he runs out of ammo. How many rounds you have or can fire is a non issue, its what YOU do with those rounds that counts.]

A folding stock on a rifle or shotgun, which sacrifices accuracy for concealability and for mobility in close combat. [And for an easier fit into the family gun safe as well as easier use by smaller petite people and those wearing thick clothing btw]
A pistol grip on a rifle or shotgun, which facilitates firing from the hip,

[There you go again with this BS. I guess you think that just because a person has a scope on their gun that this facilitates sniping? Grow up. People use their guns how they please. And most of us would actually like to hit the broadside of a battleship!]

Allowing the shooter to spray-fire the weapon.

[Easier said than done there slick. I tried it once when I was younger. Took a lot of stability and even then I couldn’t hit an old barn at ten paces!]

A pistol grip also helps the shooter stabilize the firearm during rapid fire and makes it easier to shoot assault rifles one-handed.

[I have to call bullshit on this one big time. You go out and try to aim or even shoot an 8-10 pound rifle with 1 hand. I wont be surprised if the gun goes to the anti aircraft role very quickly if you know what I mean. Do you guys ever have ANY personal experience with REAL firearms ANY time in your lives? When your experience with guns can fit in something bigger than a kiddy pool then give me a call. Till then you really don’t need to talk about something you know NOTHING about. Period.]

A barrel shroud, which is designed to cool the barrel so the firearm can shoot many rounds in rapid succession without overheating.

[What’s wrong with this? that’s just good common sense firearm care.]

It also allows the shooter to grasp the barrel area to stabilize the weapon, without incurring serious burns, during rapid fire.

[I hate to tell you this but you can get serious burns from gripping the barrel for just ONE shot. It is there for a reason. So that the person can have a stable basis for aiming the weapon. But wait why do they need to grip it if they are firing one handed? You are repeatedly defeating your own argument].......

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#20]
......A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, which serves no useful sporting purpose.

[What is YOUR definition of a sporting purpose? oh and last time I checked the 2nd amendment wasn't about hunting! It was about personal and national defense]

The flash suppressor allows the shooter to remain concealed when shooting at night, an advantage in combat but unnecessary for hunting or sporting purposes.

[Once again the second amendment isn’t about hunting deer there slick]

In addition, the flash suppressor is useful for providing stability during rapid fire, helping the shooter maintain control of the firearm.

[WRONG, you are getting confused with a muzzle brake. A muzzle brake provides stability for firing but does NOT reduce flash and even provides to magnify the noise. A flash suppressor DOES NOT do ANYTHING but reduce flash and many of them don’t completely eliminate it altogether]

A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a silencer, which is useful to assassins but clearly has no purpose for sportsmen. [Wrong again, many shooting ranges have been shut down due to noise complaints. a tool that reduces/eliminates noise would be a welcomed gift to many communities that have shooting ranges] Silencers are illegal so there is no legitimate purpose for making it possible to put a silencer on a weapon.

[That’s wrong altogether. I guess you "wish" that they were illegal but thankfully their not. I guess you can tell that I own an assault weapon. Do I do ANY of the stuff that you wrote that assault weapon owners do? NO. That is stupid, irresponsible and most of all impractical. Do I kill people on a daily basis? NO. Do I fantasize about murdering children? NO. Surprising huh? You’d be surprised to find that the majority of us "evil" people are normal everyday citizens like you. The difference is that we recognize our rights and choose to take full advantage of them. Why do I own an "assault weapon?" BECAUSE I CAN! That’s why.]  

A barrel mount designed to accommodate a bayonet, which obviously serves no sporting purpose.
[BECAUSE I CAN, molon labe!]
----------------

Feel free to add to this and edit it too. I need to edit and put in some more stuff but dont have the time right now. Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is my letter. Feel free to use:

As your constituent, I strongly urge you to oppose legislation that
would renew or expand the ``Assault Weapons Ban,'' such as H.R. 2038.

This ban has deprived law-abiding citizens such as myself the right to
own firearms which are safe, accurate, and effective for target
shooting and self-defense, while having no effect whatsoever on gun
crime.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Back to the top!

If you're not too busy to defend your rights bump this thread to the top.

If you've written your congressmen recently bump this to the top.

If you really care, or even what us to think you care, bump this to the top.

If you're as truely puzzled as to why people here are more interested in arguing over college football or what round kills zombies or supernatual beings but not wanting to fight for their rights bump this to the top.

Are you going to stand around and let a few fight for your rights again - bump this to the top!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
People here are more interested in posts about "wondering what Cinderella looked like naked" than defending their rights.

I learn something new about the people here everyday.

Sheep.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#24]
btt-and not because Paul said so!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I just would like to thank NYPatriot for all the leg work in getting the information in this thread to light.

I guess it is a btt as well :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
btt-and not because Paul said so!

Thank you - have you thought about membership here?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]
NYPatriot, I would like to express my appreciation for the time and effort you have obviously devoted to research for this list.  I will honor your efforts by starting my letter writing tonight!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you NYPatriot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]
NO... Thanks to all of you who realize that this is not just a hobby or pastime that we are engaged in!!!

This is a bare knuckles brawl to reclaim our birthright as free men. This is battle to preserver & restore the cultural & philosophical legacy that is the grand American experiment.

This is YOUR fight, YOUR chance to shape the course of history, YOUR responsibility, and YOUR burden to shoulder!!!

All of which begs the question... Why was a thread as important as this one untracked after only a few days???

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#30]
... and this thread slips into oblivion, while the "Dumbest thing you ever said to a girl" thread stays up top with 1,500+ views & counting?!?!?!?

Sad... very, very sad!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Much thanks to the anonymous moderator or staff member who had the good judgement to re-tack this important & helpful thread.

You, my friend, get "it"!!!

NYP
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Great Thread!!

I just printed up one of the sample letters..signed my name, and sent it off to my RINO congressman (Jim Saxton).  He is a strong republican in every other topic but guns, as he voted for the 94 AW Ban, hopefully he'll wisen up, and this bill will die a long slow death in committee.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm sending out ten more letters today.

10 letters at $.37 each is $3.70 about the cost of one box of M193 ... each a good investment but right now I'd rather be firing off letters than bullets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's a little sample letter from yours truly (for those that need a little... perspective):

Dear Liberal Fuck-Ass,

Your wonderful colleagues of years past embarked on a mission to make our streets safer by imposing unconstitutional restrictions on the American citizen's rights, AKA the 1994 "Crime Bill". The streets as you are well aware, are not safer because your colleagues in their "infinite wisdom" have failed to grasp a rather elementary principle: that criminals break laws, including those that restrict firearms.
    I certainly did not vote for you because your party is filled with idealistic morons who bargain away the rights of the citizens with feel-good pipedreams which never materialize, and I do not support those who align themselves with such assholes. I will however be happy to reverse myself in this instance. If you can prove that you actually have the intelligence to understand the constitutional ramifications of this injustice, and its abject failure, and are willing to vote AGAINST any such similar legislation I will not only retract my position about how I feel about you personally, I will guarantee you one vote (from myself) and will pledge my support amongst my colleagues (your constituents) in your re-election campaign.

Hugs and Kisses,

XXXXX: Potential voter or barrier to your re-election (you decide)

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#36]

You'll want to add a sentence as the first giving them you're opinion rather than beating about the bush so much
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Folks, I was hoping I could ask a small favor...

It's great that so many people have already taken the time to read & utilize this thread, but the more exposure it gets, the better our chances of generating the torrent of letters, faxes, calls, etc. necessary to ensure that when the AW ban dies, it stays dead!

Thus, I respectfully ask that you add this thread to your "bookmarks/favorites" list, and that you spread news of it's existence & importance during your travels on the Internet.

Trust me... opportunities to direct people to this thread abound!

Every time someone, somewhere posts "What are you going to buy when the AW ban expires?", advise them to lend a helping hand & link them to this thread. Every time someone asks "Can I do this to my post ban rifle?", let them know that they can help make the terms "pre & post ban" an irrelevant memory, & link them to this thread. You get the idea...

Please help me spread the word & together we can win this fight!

Thanks.              
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#38]
i have my own cache of pre-written letters but i have added all of these to them. im sure my reps know my letters by heart by now. but you know what? EVERY time i send one, i get one back.  even if its the same one over and over again.  
i have just been sending letters to my reps and senators and the pres. but ill send some to all of the contacts on this list.  THANKS PATRIOT!

oh and btw,...BTT!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Davidp14...

I have my own cache of pre-written letters...

Don't hold out on us, brother. Please feel free to post them to this thread.

The more examples to draw ideas & inspiration from, the better!  

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#40]
So, the 13th has come and gone.  I've tried looking for any news, but nothing has really been found.  Just the old stuff.  Has this been turned over?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#41]
MrOldLude... the expiration date is September 13, 2004
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#42]
bump
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#43]
btt
Let's keep "a rifle behind every blade of grass."  The Japanese knew what it meant in WWII and hopefully our enemies know what it means today.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh no... not this on-line petition again!!!

SpinaBifida, your desire to toss the AW ban onto the ash heap of history is admirable, but you need to WATCH OUT FOR MISDIRECTED, TIME-WASTING EFFORTS.

Internet petitions are useless! They make folks think they are actually doing something when they are not. It's a false sense of accomplishment. We need to focus on the stuff that works!!!

POLITICIANS ONLY CARE ABOUT VOTES AND MONEY.

In-person visits, phone calls, faxes, and snail-mailed, typed, hand signed letters are the way to make your opinion heard, because politicians know that if you expend this much time & effort, you and your family will also vote & contribute to their campaigns (or not)!

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but them's the facts...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, after arguing with the muslim apologist (simonovjr) for the better part of three or so nights, i thought i should do penance for wasting time.   I don't think i have ever written my reps before, but i have called them once or twice.

So, here is my first $4.00 foray into politics:

The first sample letter copied verbatim (I'm original, aren't I?) signed and sent to my two senators (one republican, one democrat) and al 8 members of the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security  
Thats 10 letters!   I feel like I am actuall DOING something!   I'm gonna cycle through most of the letters, and always hit my reps at least every month from now til the end and then i am going to write my own.  I figure by that time I will have read enough that i can say exactly what i think and get the best response because the reps will have been hearing from me for  a while.  Oh, i only hit my two senators, I'll have to get the representative critter also.

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Im mailing a letter to everyone on the list tomorrow. Even gonna hit my senator and congressman.

I'll keep em going out once a month till the ban sunsets.

Thanks NYPatriot for doing such a great service for us all.

3-7infantry
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Not good:

Since the photo hosting is buggered once again I'll just quote the one sentence from the letter I finally got back from Karl Rove, Senior Advior to the President, "In the 2000 campaign, the President support reauthorization of the current law".
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Not good:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=18840

Since the photo hosting is buggered once again I'll just quote the one sentence from the letter I finally got back from Karl Rove, Senior Advior to the President, "In the 2000 campaign, the President support reauthorization of the current law".

Hummmm, Prez sez he supports the law = Me NO support da Prez... or any of his undertoads!

The next election will find me voting for ANYONE even close to supporting MY RIGHT to own the tool to proctect my family from crime. Lord knows the police aren't capable of  doing it alone in this day and age. And by law, they are not obligated to. We have to be prepaired to protect ourselves from the violent "victims of society" that the Liberals love to protect with stupid, yes --- I said STUPID, laws that do nothing to protect the REAL victims of crime.  The perp has all the rights while the victim of his crime has none. The Liberals just excuse the criminal's behavior as just "acting out" as a result of a bad childhood. Let's see if they still feel that way after they are robbed, raped and have someone in their family murdered during a home invasion!!!

Sorry, I've jumped up on that soap box again...

Let's all make sure that the people in office know that  WE CAN VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE. Please write your (I use the term "your" loosely) elected officials. Let them know that WE VOTE!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#49]
My letters are going out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#50]
A couple of points to add...

- Some people seem to be a bit confused about why I posted the sample letters & what exactly I expect us to do with them.

Please mix & match, cut & paste, and generally adapt these letters as you see fit. Heck... copy them verbatim & sign your name to them if need be, but please write!!!  

- It is very important that you write early & often! One barrage of letters is simply not enough. I know it is time consuming & a PITA, but we all need to write the politicians & organizations on this list multiple times in order to show them that we are a serious & persistent force to be reckoned with!

Also, be aware that it is taking the Congressional, Senatorial, and Executive postal services aprox. 60 days to process all the written correspondence they receive (due to screening precautions over Anthrax), so in reality we only have another 9 months to write letters that will have any effect on the debate!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top