Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 10:06:15 AM EDT
This is probably old news, I know the good majority of you know of John R. Lott and his books on gun ownership. I was checking out his web site for the first time this morning (flame suit on)and remembered a recent post from a member who was seeking help voicing his views on gun ownership. The member had a hard time coming up with "info" to fight back with at work against people opposed to gun ownership.

For those of you unaware of John R. Lott, and those like myself, who too have a hard time at times confronting anti's, I suggest a visit to his site.

If this link can provide help to at least one member here then it was worth the post!

I sent quite a few links this morning per email to those who like to confront me on the issues!

johnrlott.tripod.com/

Good luck let's keep up the fight! Write to your representatives!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link!  Be sure to read his books, too.  You can get them from the library if you can't afford to buy them.

I read both of the books in depth, doing a shirt sleeve analysis of his tables & statistics, so I took a lot longer than necessary.  I wouldn't recommend that most people do that, though.  I recommend that you just read it & accept the numbers because they are irrefutable IMHO.  "Trust me."

Very sophisticated statisticians have tried to tear apart his numbers & have finally resorted to the old canards of "It doesn't FEEEEEL right" or "My single little example from Nowheresville for one month show just the opposite."  The beauty of his numbers is that he covers the whole US for a long period of time.  Likewise, he is straight with the reader by showing outright where the broad assumptions, like "More Guns, Less Crime" fall down.  Actually they are so few & far between that there is no need to hide those instances because the broad assumption DOES hold up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top