Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Ruger American Ranch (Page 1 of 48)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 48
Posted: 12/16/2021 3:02:35 AM EDT
Had been on the lookout for a CZ527 Suppressor-Ready in .223, but with the 527 line being discontinued it seems like availability has really dried up fast.

The Ruger American Ranch offers pretty much everything I was looking for and a little more in terms of features. What's the overall view of quality and accuracy of these rifles?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By craig24680:

Stock looks better
Fluting looks like someone was high
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:
Some disagree, but I like the aesthetics of the new version.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23396/IMG_0772-3073914.jpg

Stock looks better

High on life!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

I got the RA Rimfire since it used all the 10/22 mags, just convenient.  One of my few successful standardization efforts was only having 10/22 rifles for 22LR options (used to have 3 different brands).  So adding the bolt gun was pretty easy and didn't violate standardization policy.  Start people on the bolt gun and then move to the 10/22, only need to bring one kind of mag to the range.  

5.56 RAR being picked up on Froday
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
I'm having a hard time deciding between a Ruger 22lr bolt action, or a 10/22.
I just figured the bolt action would make a decent enough analogue for the Ruger Ranch. I have a Winchester 69 22lr but it feels pretty damn crude.

I got the RA Rimfire since it used all the 10/22 mags, just convenient.  One of my few successful standardization efforts was only having 10/22 rifles for 22LR options (used to have 3 different brands).  So adding the bolt gun was pretty easy and didn't violate standardization policy.  Start people on the bolt gun and then move to the 10/22, only need to bring one kind of mag to the range.  

5.56 RAR being picked up on Froday

I know I'm on the wrong website to be saying this, but Bubba'dFuddGuns.com isn't a site (yet) - I prefer bolt actions.  

my favorite gun to mess with right now is probably a cricket (I made an adult-ish sized stock for it)
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]

High on life!!!
View All Quotes
Some disagree, but I like the aesthetics of the new version.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23396/IMG_0772-3073914.jpg

Stock looks better

High on life!!!

LOL

I love how controversial the flutes are.

Im astounded they didn't use a straight profile like the PC carbine  

I hope there are a lot of meetings about "flute-gate" at Ruger HQ
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Stock looks better
View Quote

Stock looks like a bag of dicks

The only thing they should have done was increase the factory stock rigidity and improve the action to feel like, say, a tikka. Let the buyer decide how gay of a cerakote job they want or how retarded of a flute job they want.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:

Im embarrassed I hadn't considered the 22.  The 300 is so fun that thing has got to be great.
View Quote

Very overpriced for what it is. Savage markII is the way for a 22lr bolt gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By doubleshot00:

View All Quotes

Im embarrassed I hadn't considered the 22.  The 300 is so fun that thing has got to be great.

Does it use Glock 10/22 mags?
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

I put an RAR 22 on the MOA all day list with CCI SV a couple years back and paid just over $300.  Not what I would consider overpriced, as a matter of fact I think it’s the best price for performance bargain I have ever come across.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Family Firearms is advertising Gen 2 5.56 for $579, not sure if that is a deal or not, yet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Question for you guys with the Magpul stock.

How solid are these? I feel like my action has some play. For example if I purposely try to flex the barrel and forend, the barrel actually stays in the direction I flexed it.

I'm thinking the bedding blocks are suspect. I torqued the action screws to 65 inch lbs. I tried reseating and retorquing several times.

One observation is that the bedding blocks are kinda slick. I wonder if roughing them up with low grit sandpaper will be better? I'll try to see if Magpul will send me a spare set to try out.

I love the ergonomics aesthetics, but a $300 stock should be solid. Or do I need to actually bed this stock?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Stock looks better
View Quote

I don’t like the two-tone butt and cheek pad
Shape seems functional
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Total domination
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Spiral fluting cuts more weight than straight, but certainly also cuts more rigidity.
Costs more to manufacture, too.
I don't think it's a good choice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Spiral fluting cuts more weight than straight, but certainly also cuts more rigidity.
Costs more to manufacture, too.
I don't think it's a good choice.
View Quote

I doubt you're going to see any kind of noticeable difference on OEM guns of this level. People go back and forth on flutes for high end custom barrels and end up divided. On a Ruger it won't matter.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I doubt you're going to see any kind of noticeable difference on OEM guns of this level. People go back and forth on flutes for high end custom barrels and end up divided. On a Ruger it won't matter.
View Quote

Fair point.
Seeing what they're doing with the American II, it would be cool if they'd add 6.5 Grendel, 300 Ham'r, and 6.8 SPC to the Mini Ranch Rifle line.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Just bought a Gen 1 in 5.56/.223. What weight ammo do these like? Heavy, light?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Family Firearms is advertising Gen 2 5.56 for $579, not sure if that is a deal or not, yet.
View Quote

Fur and fish or some shit like that just had them on sale for 399. Thankfully they went oos while i waffled on the deal for a week, cause I really don't need to be spending money right now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:

Fur and fish or some shit like that just had them on sale for 399. Thankfully they went oos while i waffled on the deal for a week, cause I really don't need to be spending money right now.
View Quote

That was a gen 1 not gen 2.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Darwin4570:

That was a gen 1 not gen 2.
View Quote

Go find your own thread!
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:19:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OBird] [#19]

View Quote

Got mine for $385… really not THAT much more than a savage. Easily worth it for the 10/22 mags alone IMHO (I hate that curved stamped metal mag on the mk ii). Adjustable comb pieces, threaded 16” barrel, burnt bronze cerakote from the factory…love this thing

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shwa] [#20]
Predator 308

You may have heard of a Jungle Carbine.
Well I don’t live in a jungle so here is the Appalachian Carbine. These are some T&E sights from @Papposilenus to which I am very grateful for the opportunity to give these a go.

Why have a bipod on the Appalachian Carbine? Because in Appalachia we do things different. Support hand is used to hold a beer. Not really,  after this picture I was sighting in the rifle with a scope shooting some groups. Very impressed with this rifles accuracy for the money.

Pretty sure I dropped that third round on the second group. First group is a pretty accurate representation of what the rifle is capable of if I do my part, once the barrel is warm. First shot on a cold bore will go about 1” high. Fudd range rules only 3 rounds in a mag.

Ammo 175gr razorcore. With standard 150gr ball it will group 1.5-2” consistently.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ve wanted a Ranch in .300 black. Should I wait for the Gen 2?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#22]

How solid are these? I feel like my action has some play. For example if I purposely try to flex the barrel and forend, the barrel actually stays in the direction I flexed it.

I'm thinking the bedding blocks are suspect. I torqued the action screws to 65 inch lbs. I tried reseating and retorquing several times.

One observation is that the bedding blocks are kinda slick. I wonder if roughing them up with low grit sandpaper will be better? I'll try to see if Magpul will send me a spare set to try out.

I love the ergonomics aesthetics, but a $300 stock should be solid. Or do I need to actually bed this stock?
View Quote

Pretty much any stock will do that slightly. How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
View Quote

I vote no

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

I vote no

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184182/IMG_4280_jpeg-3077173.JPG

Look at that cute little fart.

I bump into the Ranch .300 Black from time to time. It’s either that, or a PSA 10.5” upper.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

I vote no

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184182/IMG_4280_jpeg-3077173.JPG

Agreed
Gen1
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Congratulating myself on getting a good deal on my 5.56, and then about to order about $1500 worth of stuff for it, between optics, mount, suppressor, bipod, internals...
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebert] [#27]
Congratulating myself on getting a good deal on my 5.56, and then about to order about $1500 worth of stuff for it, between optics, mount, suppressor, bipod, internals...
View Quote

I feel your pain. I already have a suppressor to go on it but I am right at about $1000 right now for all the other stuff.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By thebert:

I feel your pain. I already have a suppressor to go on it but I am right at about $1000 right now for all the other stuff.
View All Quotes

I had a new policy that every gun gets it's own suppressor... I really need to buy fewer guns.

In the past hour I spent $1400 on scope, mount, and suppressor.  And I have been cheaping out, my budget was way low.  JFC maybe I should at least test that the rifle works LOL
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I have a 556 and it is rock solid in that Magpul stock. I love it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:

View All Quotes

Nice, Magpul is sending out a new set of action inserts/bedding blocks.. So hopefully that solves the issue. I do like the stock so far but I haven't shot it. While it does add more weight than OEM I can grip the forend out a bit farther.

I haven't had the chance.to shoot it yet. Been pretty sick/miserable the last week between all of the holiday stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Just bought a Gen 1 in 5.56/.223. What weight ammo do these like? Heavy, light?
View Quote

I have a Go Wild that I put into a Magpul stock. I have tried quite a few different loads thru it. Really, it will shoot a bunch of different loads from 50 grain to 85 grain. But the 2 best loads on each end of the spectrum are a 50gr V Max with 26 grains of Benchmark with a 7-1/2 primer seated at  1.953" BTO and a 77 grain tipped match king with 24 grains of varget and a 450 primer seated at 1.965" BTO. These will not fit in an AR mag. I am using a Magpul 10 round 223 mag that they make for their Magpul Hunter stock. IM me if you have any other load questions. I have shot a ton of different stuff thru mine. It is pretty crazy just how good it shoots. All in, with a cheapy Arken SH4 6-24 on top, I have less than a grand into it. I also have a 22" 6.5 Grendel Predator model that shoots lights out. Going to grab one of the 7PRC Gen 2 models when they come out. Looking forward to having a long range monster at a deep discount over my custom rifles I currently have.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Nice, Magpul is sending out a new set of action inserts/bedding blocks.. So hopefully that solves the issue. I do like the stock so far but I haven't shot it. While it does add more weight than OEM I can grip the forend out a bit farther.

I haven't had the chance.to shoot it yet. Been pretty sick/miserable the last week between all of the holiday stuff.
View Quote

As it's been said by several on here it does make the gun heavier. So it's going to depend on your use case. Here's mine setup with a 1720 case and the daka grid system.Attachment Attached File

I don't like the scope so high, but that's the way it set up now so I'm just going to leave it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By OBird:

Got mine for $385… really not THAT much more than a savage. Easily worth it for the 10/22 mags alone IMHO (I hate that curved stamped metal mag on the mk ii). Adjustable comb pieces, threaded 16” barrel, burnt bronze cerakote from the factory…love this thing

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62477/IMG_4264_jpeg-3075600.JPG
View Quote

I dont look at 22. rifles the same as a other higher powered rifles.  I like them as a cheap alternative (cheap optics to).  The Savage i just got my son was a turn key $250 gun and its a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

I wanna do that. But then I always get to thinking "maybe  I'll randomly wanna use it for deer hunting one day"
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#35]

I wanna do that. But then I always get to thinking "maybe  I'll randomly wanna use it for deer hunting one day"
View All Quotes

That’s a 300 blk.  IMHO, what he’s done has made it better for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

I dont think my version of deer hunting is the same as yours, based off your location
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#37]

I dont think my version of deer hunting is the same as yours, based off your location
View All Quotes

My idea is buy a second - probably in grendel or creedmoor
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#38]

As it's been said by several on here it does make the gun heavier. So it's going to depend on your use case. Here's mine setup with a 1720 case and the daka grid system.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13145/FullSizeR_20231229_151538_jpg-3079307.JPG
I don't like the scope so high, but that's the way it set up now so I'm just going to leave it.
View All Quotes

As it's been said by several on here it does make the gun heavier. So it's going to depend on your use case. Here's mine setup with a 1720 case and the daka grid system.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13145/FullSizeR_20231229_151538_jpg-3079307.JPG

Looks sweet.

I was surprised that the OEM Cheek Riser worked well with an absolute cowitness AR Mount.

I ordered some spare risers to mess with, and some UTG accusync medium height QD rings.

If this setup works as planned I can also tuck some Glock sights under the scope as a crude form of BUIS. (HTA Picatinny Bases)

Probably just going to stick with a 1-6 LVPO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#39]

I know I'm on the wrong website to be saying this, but Bubba'dFuddGuns.com isn't a site (yet) - I prefer bolt actions.  

my favorite gun to mess with right now is probably a cricket (I made an adult-ish sized stock for it)
View Quote

A cricket sized, repeater bolt in 5.7X28 would rock
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Yes. Probably very different!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Just waiting on my scope rings and suppressor mount, then I can rattle can everything as one

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jstnstr:
Just waiting on my scope rings and suppressor mount, then I can rattle can everything as one

https://i.imgur.com/W0tlBIm.jpg
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#43]
Ugh, I swapped my bolt handle out. Accidently did a thing with my firing pin and I had to use this trick.

How To Reset A RPR Firing Pin

The method works... But beware, the machining on the OEM bolt handle in the center is razor sharp. I sliced my hands up a bit and didn't really notice it until I saw the blood.

So not only did I have to attend to that, but I also had to awkwardly clean my firing pin stuff/etc.

Anyways I'm really liking the Glade's swept back bolt handle. I also ordered the Anarchy Bolt Tool. This video kinda sold me.

HOW FAST can you run your BOLT ACTION? Glades Armory swept back bolt handle Ruger American

Also I am less likely to bust my knuckles on my scope doing this.

I still have to find my orange permatex vial. It has the temp rating/vibration of red, but will come off with tools like blue.

Or do you guys just recommend using blue on the thread on bolt handles?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Are $250 Gen I Ranch rifles a thing yet?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
View Quote

Not going to happen
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#46]

Not going to happen
View All Quotes

Not going to happen

I agree
I’d buy two more though
I’d buy one more at $350 - grendel or creedmoor
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Not going to happen
View All Quotes

Not going to happen

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#48]

I agree
I’d buy two more though
View All Quotes

Not going to happen

I agree
I’d buy two more though

I'm in if I can get it for $350. Not $350 plus shipping, tax and transfer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Defiantly going to do this to mine but not that short.  Probably 13" as i have found that my 12.5 300blk is way more accurate than my 9" and i dont want to cut the stock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#50]

I agree
I’d buy two more though
View Quote

Same.  Def in for .300 BO
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 48
Ruger American Ranch (Page 1 of 48)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top