Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/15/2004 7:44:50 AM EDT
99% of the reactions I have had have been positive. People actually "LOVE" to check out these wmd's. Members of the club I belong to are drawn to them like moths to flame.

Most missed out before boat SB23 took off. I was fortunate, and intuitive enough, to see the writing on the wall and stocked up.

Only negative reaction I have had was from some putz that said they had "no use" in a civilized society when I was buying a Colt in '99.

Even my 92 yr old Jewish Grandmother thinks they're cool.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#1]
once.

it was from a large dealer that delt mostly to duck\deer hunters.
i asked if he carried any fal's,ar's ak's, sks's....he got pissy and told me he keeps a reputable shop and doesnt touch those things.

ass.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]

What do you need a gun like that for?  

I get that one a lot.

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I get that one a lot.

That's the biggest one I get. I just tell them it's for when the zombies invade and I always get a confused, "WTF?" look.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
once.

i asked if he carried any fal's,ar's ak's, sks's....he got pissy and told me he keeps a reputable shop and doesnt touch those things.

ass.

I wouldn't consider it a reputable shop if they didn't carry them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My Dad called me a skinhead.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I just look at them and tell them that I am ready for the next invasion with an evil grin on my face
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never shown my AR to anyone that I didn't KNOW I was going to get a positive reaction from!
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Took two AR's and an AK to a raneg near hunting season time.  A lot of hunters sighting in their guns.  I had alrady sighted my "hunting" guns, so I was there for fun.

I pulled out my guns and one guy yelled out "you hunting deer or people?!!"  That got a laugh from everyone there.

I just said "What ever is necessary".
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, you will also get:

"Whatcha doin?  Huntin' for bin Laden?"

"You practicin' to kill terrorists?"

"You one of them militia types?"

"You don't hunt with that, do you?"

"Whatcha shoot with that?"

"You gettin' ready for WWIII?"

This is usually in late October.  The hicks are dusting off their .270 bolt actions, firing a few shots (usually no more than half a dozen rounds) from the half box of ammo left over from last hunting season, and pack it back in the car, ready to go for deer season.

Best is just to not talk to these clowns.

Edited to add:

I forgot, numero uno, "You converted that thing to full auto?  I heard all you gotta do, you just file down the sear."
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I get that one a lot.

yep

CR
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one liberal, Santa Cruz hippie, friend that is anti-gun. One day, I took my "pretty" M4 (as opposed to my "evil" M4 ) over to his house and let him play with it. I haven't gotten him to shoot yet, but he did concede that he " understands why you (I) like them."
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
once.

ass.

I wouldn't consider it a reputable shop if they didn't carry them.

Ditto Photoman! Ditto!!! I never set foot into the "hunters only stores". If they don't have my toys, they are a total waste of my time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#15]
"Why do you need a gun like that?"

"Can I shoot it?"
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#16]
for some reason, people always ask me if its full auto.

but the negative remarks dont really come until I whip out my MAK-90 with a 30 rounder in it.  then they ask me

"what do you hunt with that? kids?"
and then I inform them that I do in fact hunt 3-5 year olds, javalina and white tails that is.

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Had a couple of  the Mossy Oak Moron Brigade here in the fall want to know what in the hell I needed with one of those things...

...Followed shortly (after allowing them to fire it) by "DAYUM, I gotta Get me one of THOSE" and a .

We do what we can.

SG
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Your avitar is disturbing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#19]
One negative reaction was from my own stepfather, who was appalled at their mere existence and often expressed malcontent that I owned them. But get this - he himself was a gun owner - he owned at least 8 guns (mostly shotguns) and was at times throughout his life an NRA member. He would get sooooooo uncomfortable when I would store guns of this nature in his safe. I got him so worked up in '99 before SB23 that he even sold off his Winchester semi-auto shotgun - A "Super X" or something like that. A damn shame too; it was a beautiful gun.

It's a damn shame when ignorance and stupidity infect even gun owners.

Oh yeah ... and about 6 years ago the jerks at the Inland Fish & Game range in Redlands gave me a load of shit about the black rifles. Stupid old bastards!
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I get that one a lot.

I get that one too.  Mostly from family members and in-laws.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#21]
A liberal co-worker said to me the other day that I have no business using an AR15 to hunt with ... I asked why? he said "they are to powerful! it will mess up all the meat!" I said hmmm, ok..... "the 223 is illegal to hunt deer with in most states because it not powerful enough".... he says, "well, a gun that empties its clip from pulling the trigger one time is in-humane!" ....... in-humane???

The wealth of ignorance displayed among anti-gunners never ceases to amaze me.

BTW: he is going shooting with us on the next outing .... , he said he wants to shoot a "sniper rifle" I'll let him shoot my Remington LTR and heavy barreled AR15....
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I hear mostly what A_Free_Man has posted.   This happens at the practice range not during compitition.   I don't ever show  or tell people that I don't know well about my AR's.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I was showing my father's girlfriend how my palm pilot can take pictures, one of the pics I had on there was of my colt sporter.  He asked my why I have an m16, after explaining to him what it is and that I have a couple of ak's I proceeded to tell him how his story about having mattel written on his army issue is bs.

Still to this day he swears up and down that everyone else in his company had an m16 that said S&W and Ruger
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Once.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#25]
just at deer camp.

what the hell it that thing for?
Rabbit hunting.
Why don’t you use a 22?
This is a 22
No why don’t you use a .22LR?
Shut the F—UP!
Just as long as your not hunting deer with it and keep it away from me.  Those things are dangerous and unsportsmanlike  

That evening I drive into camp with an 8 point buck
Wha-you shoot that with.
The AR
That’s un-sportsman like
One shot in the neck.  Killed him where he stood.

Yea well it’s still wrong.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get that one a lot.

I get that one too.  Mostly from family members and in-laws.

Yep, my liberal mother-in-law and sister-in-laws.  I have 5 nephews and I'm not allowed to take any of them to the range.  Their mothers are scared if they knew how to shoot they would kill someone.  I told them their kids need mental evaluations if that's the case.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#27]
All positive! ...But only gun owners and enthusiasts have seen it.

I haven't shown it to my neighbors yet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, from da deranged soccer dad.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Negative reactions? Oh yeah. And from the least likely suspects.

I was at a local range with my 12 y/o son. It was near quitting time. The range officer and his buddy wanted to let me know that it was time to close up. When they saw what I was shooting (an evil black rifle) the range officer just about swallowed his own tongue. It was pathetic. Spitting and sputtering, no need for that type of weapon, that kind of crap. He was an ass. This is at a range that hosts hi power competitions! My natural inclination was to tell him to fuck off and die. His buddy was silent, just nodding (and as it turned out, drooling). I resisted my urges and started to talk to him. Explained that I enjoy the sport/hobby. That I collect military arms. Blah, blah, blah. I offered to let him empty a mag, he declined. But his buddy didn't. He loved it, I swear he grinned from ear to ear, probably had wood! Said he had to get one. When I told him that it was impossible because of CA laws, he was upset. That's when I broke out the FAB10. Heck I've done this so many times that I swear that I've sold more people on FAB10's than the factory.

I have let dozens of complete strangers shoot my AR's and FAB10's. I don't mind the ammo used if it will convince a few more people that rifles aren't evil. I spend a lot of time explaining the difference between pre and post ban stuff. And I instruct all of them on the proper operation of the weapon before they shoot.

September can't get here quick enough! Then they will all be pre ban equipped.

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Upstairs neighbor woman has a problem with me. I showed her husband an ar and she has treated me with distain ever since. One night a car backfired on the road outside our condo and they accused me of shooting off my rifles in the dark, simply because they knew I owned them. I don't shoot anything anywhere NEAR my home, lots of housing around here and a school nearby. Pisses me off that they can be that insulting and still think of themselves as reasonable people.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get that one a lot.

That's the biggest one I get. I just tell them it's for when the zombies invade and I always get a confused, "WTF?" look.

Thats MY line!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I get the "WTF is that for?" line quite often. I tell em, its cheap to shoot, more accurate than your rifle is, and it just fucking looks cool. Once the naysayer fires off a mag, they want to know where they can buy one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Took two AR's and an AK to a raneg near hunting season time.  A lot of hunters sighting in their guns.  I had alrady sighted my "hunting" guns, so I was there for fun.

I pulled out my guns and one guy yelled out "you hunting deer or people?!!"  That got a laugh from everyone there.

ya shoulda gave him a phyco look and said hunters taste like chicken
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#34]
From my wife, one time.  Then I explained the only essential differences between a Sport Utility Rifle and my wood stocked hunting guns are the color and the pistol grip.  She likes to shoot an AR more than she will admit, but so far all she buys are shotguns - very nice over and under shotguns.  In fact,  "pretty guns" are a shoo-in at our house, ugly guns get a less welcome reception.

The folks I work with know better than to challenge me about the topic - they are required to "value my diversity"!
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#35]
A couple of years ago I was talking guns with a co-worker, and I mentioned that I had just bought an AR. Another co-worker walking by heard me, came over, and said the usual "what do you need that for?"
I looked him dead in the eye and said with all seriousness:" Red Dawn man, it COULD happen"
He walked away disgusted and we just laughed our ass off.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Yup,

First from my wife:  "You want to buy an assualt rifle? Why do you need an assault rifle?"  I had to explain the whole issue and she seemed to get the picture.  Changed her mind completely when I took her out to shoot it.   She started making bulls at 50 yards and suddenly didn't care what she was holding, just a big grin every time I called out "in the center again".

Then my Father-in-law:  "What are you going tactical for?; Nobody needs one of those; Can't hunt with that" like I care about hunting.  Still can't get him to come with and try it out. He loves handguns and cowboy lever action but still seems to think that they would never come for the ones he likes.

Everyone else I have run into at the range has come to drool and to complement.  It's like having a baby in a room full of women.  I usually end up handing a full mag to someone to try.  Never fail to see a big ass grin when they get done.  My friend in St. Louis loves for me to bring my collection every time I come, and I think he may soon buy his own.  

I go over to drool next to black AKs, I must own one someday.  Got to shoot a few and they are a kick to play with.

So now I'm the 'gun nut' in the family, but i'm slowly corrupting minds which is just fun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get that one a lot.

Thats MY line!!

i get this one all the time also.

any time someone asks me why i NEED one, i tell them that A) i am an american and can damned well have one, and B) pretty much everything we have as americans we don't need in the first place, so any argument they may provide is pretty much moot.

cars to get us to places we could ride a bike or walk (never mind the multiple-SUV home).

multi thousand square foot homes, central heat and air.

wardrobes and shoes that take up hundreds of feet of closets.

microwaves, toaster ovens, refridgerators, etc., man survived millions of years without these. we don't NEED any of it.

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#40]

I get that one a lot.

I like to come back with, "Why do you need an SUV when you don't go off-road or live in a climate that would make it useful? Why do you need to buy expensive jeans when the cheap Wal*Mart clothes cover your body just as well, Why do you need a nice house when an apartment or trailer will give you enough shelter?"
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Had a coworker ask me once why I needed an AR15 (I was browsing through a Model 1 catalog).  

I told him that I wanted to be ready for when they re-instated the draft....

He said "Are they talking about doing that?!"

I said "yeah, but unfortunately they'll take the young guys first..." (I'm 38, he's 20)

Walked away trying to hold back the chuckles after seeing his face!

M590man
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#42]
My sister is a 'turn the other cheek' christian and teacher.  She hates guns.  She will not even let her sons have squirt guns.  She came over one time and was working with my wife on the computer in our bedroom.  I had left an AR sitting on the bed.  When she saw it she asked if it was loaded.  Then she picked it up.  She told my wife that she hates guns, but that if she was going to get a gun she would get one like that.

Without exception, guys I have met at the range are always interested in a positive way, and say they want to get one.  A lot of guys have an SKS or AK already; I try not to be too rough on them.  After they shoot the AR, they always say somthing like "damn that's nice."

All my buddies have at least one now.

Doesn't everybody love ARs?

My wife didn't have too much of a problem with one AR.  Two was not bad either.  But at one point I had ten and I got a bit of a "negative reaction" with that.  Now that my numbers are a bit reduced, and I am smarter about OpSec, all is good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Surprisingly, living in PRK and the Bay Area no less, I only get positive responses. Of course after I let people shoot it and see the huge grin on their faces, I have to tell them that they cannot get them in the PRK anymore.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

temp hijack of thread
I need more Cow Bell!
Great Avatar
temp hijack over
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#45]
My Boss is afraid of me now.  
I was selling raffle tickets to support a worthy cause and the 1 st prize was a Blackwater/Bushmaster AR15. I asked him if he wanted to buy one and he got bent out of shape. He then shut up when I told him he could shoot mine one day if he liked.
My brother worked for the same dept as me and my boss had to fire him last year. The boss said he would have been worried if my brother had guns. He turned white as a ghost when I told him my brother has a room full of guns. See guns arent bad its people who are bad.

He tip toes around me now. Its sad he is a good guy, just a pussy.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#46]
"We" all know that if it were possible to poll all gun owners we would be disturbed to discover that many (hunters/plinkers/clay target shooters) have voiced an opinion supporting the original awb, and a renewal as well. Most of them don't have a clue as to the real intent of fineswine, shummer et al, thus they don't have a clue as to what could really happen.

As noted above, we have a great deal of work to do regarding the "what do you want that kind of gun for?" crowd, and converting them to "the dark side".
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#47]
My brother's mother in law was convinced he must have bought his AR on the "black market" in an alley somewhere. And he was obviously going to jail!
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Only two idiots stick in my mind,  one an "AK is the ultimate"  type of guy,  the other was an HK snob.   More disinformation about a rifle they'd "never own even if it was free" than you could shake a whole basket of sticks at.

I especially liked the AK guy.  28,  (I counted) loaded mags stacked on the bench, but he only used a 5 rounder.    Maybe the 30 rounders kept snagging on his combloc ammo vest.

The HK guy was so arrogant it amazes me he could hold his head up without a back brace.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ya shoulda gave him a phyco look and said hunters taste like chicken

I like that!!

The problem is that I am a hunter too, although a large number of hunters piss me off.  I am sure that I probably taste like bacon.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#50]
When I showed my stepdad my first one he said "what in the woeld are ya gona do whith that thing" I said "shoot it"...lol... My stepdad and myself went a done a little shooting a few eeeks ago, I let him shoot the AR, after hitting his target (6"x 6" plate at 100m) every round he turned around and said "wow, these things shoot easy"...lol.... He now plans on buying one...lol...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top