Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 1/3/2023 2:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy]
*This thread has veered far and wide from a single ADV bike so now it’s just a bit about all of it.*

I knew it was coming but just really looked at the info today and it looks pretty good in its resurrected form.

460 pounds fueled
90 hp
21”/18” wheels
33.5” seat height with what appears to be a narrow frame.
Not a ridiculous amount of bodywork.
65 claimed mpg

But…the muffler is too low. Even with my minimal off road riding there have been a few instances it would have been underwater. As well the tank is a bit small with a predicted range of 180 miles. Not ridiculous, but my standard is 200 miles. It still has bodywork that is going to have to be protected and is going to bring in some additional weight. The suspension is a bit minimal being around 7.5” but honestly most ADV riders don’t need that much suspension anyway.

But for an ADV bike, not a dual sport, it looks pretty good.

Attachment Attached File

It is of course a direct contender for the Tenere 700.

Ultimately I am not sure it fills a better role for most people than the CB500x if the CB had wire wheels and people were honest with themselves. It certainly fills a hole in Honda’s lineup though in a world where “mid-size” bikes like the AT are as big as a BMW GS.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Doing the 10,000 mile maintenance on my GSA.

Love the bike, but it should not take the better part of an hour, multiple sizes of Torx bits (or any tools, for that matter), and disassembly of large bodywork components to change an air filter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Squatch:

Love the bike, but it should not take the better part of an hour, multiple sizes of Torx bits (or any tools, for that matter), and disassembly of large bodywork components to change an air filter.
View Quote

As I have said…I hate the air cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

I haven't had to do mine yet but getting close on my Africa Twin.  Supposedly it is even more of a pain. Another thing is getting to the battery is a pain and getting to the battery posts and pulling the battery out more than an inch is an exercise in frustration.

Such a simple and common sense thing all bike manufacturers sure design in is easy access to the battery and air filters.  Makes me shake my head but dang if the bikes aren't tons of fun when they are out of the garage !
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SamuelHyde:

I haven't had to do mine yet but getting close on my Africa Twin.  Supposedly it is even more of a pain. Another thing is getting to the battery is a pain and getting to the battery posts and pulling the battery out more than an inch is an exercise in frustration.

Such a simple and common sense thing all bike manufacturers sure design in is easy access to the battery and air filters.  Makes me shake my head but dang if the bikes aren't tons of fun when they are out of the garage !
View Quote

Especially on an ADV bike. In the TAT I had to clean the air filter multiple times.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Especially on an ADV bike. In the TAT I had to clean the air filter multiple times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

During the TAT would have been a nightmare.  The anxiety of breaking or losing a body rivet, hex head bolt, etc or having everything disassembled and some rainstorm coming in would not be fun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]

During the TAT would have been a nightmare.  The anxiety of breaking or losing a body rivet, hex head bolt, etc or having everything disassembled and some rainstorm coming in would not be fun.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

Full maint day, every 1k checked valves and AF, half that oil. You get used to wrenching in weird places and occasionally hafta borrow tools from local shops (lost the sparker socket last time we had it torn down)

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

One of the better things the F800 series did with the rear mounted gas tank was the ability to have the battery and air filter accessible with just 6 bolts and one small panel.

Of course, let's not speak of valve checks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/1D939B2D-0ECA-4D1A-8789-EA8A33ED48EF-124-3120450.JPG

Full maint day, every 1k checked valves and AF, half that oil. You get used to wrenching in weird places and occasionally hafta borrow tools from local shops (lost the sparker socket last time we had it torn down)

View Quote

Those intervals make me love my 300L Rally even more now lol.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if you have room in your bags, but one of these along with a tarp can help when working on bikes away from the garage.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:37:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#10]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/1D939B2D-0ECA-4D1A-8789-EA8A33ED48EF-124-3120450.JPG

It was kinda dumb but it's what was available on short notice and made the ride tenable. I would preferred something more plush and less strung but the RFS lumps are fine.  Nearing the end of the race we extended some since we got a feel for what we could get out of them. Still lot of maint late at night or up early before the day started.  We pulled the big Maint on a rest day. Yammy was a bit better.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Some others had more appropriate choices for 10k kms, but you work what you can.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]

It was kinda dumb but it's what was available on short notice and made the ride tenable. I would preferred something more plush and less strung but the RFS lumps are fine.  Nearing the end of the race we extended some since we got a feel for what we could get out of them. Still lot of maint late at night or up early before the day started.  We pulled the big Maint on a rest day. Yammy was a bit better.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1255_jpeg-3120703.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1373_jpeg-3120727.JPG

Some others had more appropriate choices for 10k kms, but you work what you can.

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1255_jpeg-3120703.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1373_jpeg-3120727.JPG

Pure dedication right there!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I've enjoyed your trip posts and pictures.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Squatch] [#13]
Been considering the 300L for my wife, but I’m afraid it won’t have the guts or comfort for longer highway travel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I've enjoyed your trip posts and pictures.
View Quote

Thank you Sir !
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Been considering the 300L for my wife, but I’m afraid it won’t have the guts or comfort for longer highway travel.
View Quote

How far and how fast are you thinking for on the highway?  My 300 Rally got blown around pretty good on windy days/ opposite travel semi trucks.  With a 45 tooth rear sprocket, it kept up on hills, etc without having to downshift so much which made highway riding more pleasant.

By no means was I passing many people though and it seemed to like up to about 65 mph all day long, any faster and you could feel noticeably more vibrations with my Desert Knobbies/Nitrotech Platinum mousse tubes combo. Having a Seat Concepts XL Comfort seat goes a long way in the comfort department for whatever bike you choose.

@Kanati does a fair amount of highway riding with his 300 Rally and would be a good resource for questions as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

New bike day. Put on the Scotts steering damper, and grease the headset and swingarm bearings tomorrow. Shop for boots. Adjust the hand controls, I’ll probably wait for boots to mess with the foot controls. It’s pretty quiet. I didn’t ride much. Off the trailer, a short loop in the field and into the garage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_2967_jpeg-3123741.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_2966_jpeg-3123743.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_2965_jpeg-3123744.JPG

New bike day. Put on the Scotts steering damper, and grease the headset and swingarm bearings tomorrow. Shop for boots. Adjust the hand controls, I’ll probably wait for boots to mess with the foot controls. It’s pretty quiet. I didn’t ride much. Off the trailer, a short loop in the field and into the garage.
View Quote

Nice looking bike. 500 EXC-F?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_2967_jpeg-3123741.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_2966_jpeg-3123743.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/315192/IMG_2965_jpeg-3123744.JPG

View Quote

How do you like the Scott's steering dampner? Worth the money?

For boots Amazon has some Alpinestar Tech 7 for less than 300.00 in a few random sizes and colors.  If you check every once in a while they go down to 225.00 at the lowest.  I got mine for 250.00 a while back, almost 200.00 off of msrp.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]

For boots Amazon has some Alpinestar Tech 7 for less than 300.00 in a few random sizes and colors.  If you check every once in a while they go down to 225.00 at the lowest.  I got mine for 250.00 a while back, almost 200.00 off of msrp.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335979/1000021807_jpg-3123842.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335979/1000021808_jpg-3123849.JPG
View Quote

I haven’t tried a steering damper. I know I’ll be riding in rocks. It seems like a good idea! Thanks for the Amazon link. I’ll be watching that!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

View Quote

Yep. I’ve spent 6 months deciding between an 890r, a 1290r, a gs1300 and a new bmw 900. I saw a ride this summer that would have a lot of deep sand and started to wonder how many times I can pick up a bike in sand or mud in a day 5 years from now. Weight started to be a lot more important to me. (That dealership has a great deal on a new 2023 890 adventure. It was extremely tempting! I’ll probably add a Road glide or 1290adventure in 2-3 years. I’ve got a pretty solid R1100rt for now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Yep. I’ve spent 6 months deciding between an 890r, a 1290r, a gs1300 and a new bmw 900. I saw a ride this summer that would have a lot of deep sand and started to wonder how many times I can pick up a bike in sand or mud in a day 5 years from now. Weight started to be a lot more important to me. (That dealership has a great deal on a new 2023 890 adventure. It was extremely tempting! I’ll probably add a Road glide or 1290adventure in 2-3 years. I’ve got a pretty solid R1100rt for now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

In my opinion, you chose correctly.

However, the more the merrier if you have the money.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Boy Howdy

You're motoring along up from Pie Town on the CDT and suddenly the sand grabs your front tire!  

Well,  It's tough to bring a several hundred lb moto loaded with camping and fly fishing gear back upright.  So you have to drag all that shit off and up the road--then come back and get your Bavarian Camping Tractor--hoist her upright and muscle her up to reloading point

Fun times!

:-)
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SteveH06:
Boy Howdy

You're motoring along up from Pie Town on the CDT and suddenly the sand grabs your front tire!  

https://i.postimg.cc/Vs3LVHJ4/P8270066.jpg

Well,  It's tough to bring a several hundred lb moto loaded with camping and fly fishing gear back upright.  So you have to drag all that shit off and up the road--then come back and get your Bavarian Camping Tractor--hoist her upright and muscle her up to reloading point

https://i.postimg.cc/q7t5SQhX/IMG-1595.jpg

Fun times!

View Quote

No thank you!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#24]

View Quote

I've been in a funk with the heavier bikes ever since I crashed the CRF450 and broke my clavicle. I was still able to pick up the CRF450 and limp myself to the beginning of the trail, but lord knows I'd be screwed with the F800. Even when I was in (admittedly) better physical condition picking it up in sand and mud would get extremely tiring by the end of the day, and that often included help from riding with buddies.

Maybe I'll get 'brave' again but I just don't have the desire to take the F800 on technical solo rides right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Boy Howdy

https://i.postimg.cc/Vs3LVHJ4/P8270066.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/q7t5SQhX/IMG-1595.jpg

Fun times!

View Quote

Try it with a fully loaded and topped off R1250GSA.  

Outside of Buena Vista CO...the sand didn't so much as grab me, but hid the slab of rock I was trying to ride down.  Was like slipping on black ice...not a thing I could do.

One of the best things about these big R bikes is that they don't fully fall over, but rather just lean on their crash bars.  1/2 the job of lifting is already done.

Attachment Attached File

However, after picking this damn thing up after the 6th time or so on Hagerman pass...

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks guys! I will always lust after the bigger bikes, but I’m happy with my decision. Took it for a short ride through the field, the woods, a gravel road and highway. I didn’t go faster than 65, but the bike seemed pretty decent. I think I will be happy to get the seat concepts seat though. I’m going to have to stretch and get limber. It’s a hoist to get my leg over it (I wish I could stand on the peg!) it’s a lot of fun. Still pondering lowering it 2”, I dont think I will ever ride so aggressively that I will test the limits of the bike anyway.  My Colorado buddy is working with his local dealer on the Husqvarna equivalent.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
*This thread has veered far and wide from a single ADV bike so now it’s just a bit about all of it.*

I knew it was coming but just really looked at the info today and it looks pretty good in its resurrected form.

460 pounds fueled
90 hp
21”/18” wheels
33.5” seat height with what appears to be a narrow frame.
Not a ridiculous amount of bodywork.
65 claimed mpg

But…the muffler is too low. Even with my minimal off road riding there have been a few instances it would have been underwater. As well the tank is a bit small with a predicted range of 180 miles. Not ridiculous, but my standard is 200 miles. It still has bodywork that is going to have to be protected and is going to bring in some additional weight. The suspension is a bit minimal being around 7.5” but honestly most ADV riders don’t need that much suspension anyway.

But for an ADV bike, not a dual sport, it looks pretty good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/D32C128D-82A9-4281-8D71-40B2756C9BDB_jpe-2659259.JPG

It is of course a direct contender for the Tenere 700.

Ultimately I am not sure it fills a better role for most people than the CB500x if the CB had wire wheels and people were honest with themselves. It certainly fills a hole in Honda’s lineup though in a world where “mid-size” bikes like the AT are as big as a BMW GS.
View Quote

Rode my new Transalp home from the dealership tonight.

I like it, didn't blow me away with power but sounds meaner than it is. All in all with be a fun bike for fire roads, backroads, and a day trip here and there.

Last 3 bikes

HD Street Bob
Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Honda CBR-1000RR

Hopefully I can contribute with some travel pictures.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Alembic:

I like it, didn't blow me away with power but sounds meaner than it is. All in all with be a fun bike for fire roads, backroads, and a day trip here and there.

Last 3 bikes

HD Street Bob
Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Honda CBR-1000RR

View Quote

Fucking awesome. I didn’t appreciate motorcycles until I went ADV.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Cool, I'm looking forward to riding off of the pavement. Other than a TW200 I rode for the MSF basic course, never been on a non pure street bike.

The height of most ADV bikes had me tippy toeing, the Transalp barely, and the dealer threw in the short seat which will be here in a few days. But the footing for now isn't bad, and it's nice to see over cars for once.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Cool, I'm looking forward to riding off of the pavement. Other than a TW200 I rode for the MSF basic course, never been on a non pure street bike.

The height of most ADV bikes had me tippy toeing, the Transalp barely, and the dealer threw in the short seat which will be here in a few days. But the footing for now isn't bad, and it's nice to see over cars for once.
View All Quotes

Welcome to the ADV world!  Don't know where you hang your hat, but if you're able to, you should consider joining a whole bunch of us at March Moto Madness in eastern Tennessee first week of April.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Welcome to the ADV world!  Don't know where you hang your hat, but if you're able to, you should consider joining a whole bunch of us at March Moto Madness in eastern Tennessee first week of April.
View Quote

I'll definitely check that out.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody going to checkout the Nor Cal BDR? Release date is on the 17th. There are some amazing places to ride in this commie controlled state.  https://ridebdr.com/cabdr-north/

I have a Honda XR650R (water cooled) that I will be getting a plate for that would fit the bill nicely. I'd love to attempt a few sections on the GSA, but I am still learning to ride that beast off-road. Feeling pretty good about it, though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Last 3 bikes

HD Street Bob
Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Honda CBR-1000RR

View Quote

Pictures aren't loading of the new TransAlp !
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I'll fix that now. Took a little ride this early evening to a local park and parked in the Arborreum and took a few.

This bike is a hoot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#35]

I'll fix that now. Took a little ride this early evening to a local park and parked in the Arborreum and took a few.

This bike is a hoot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90477/IMG_3982_jpg-3129516.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90477/IMG_3981_jpg-3129519.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelHyde] [#36]

This bike is a hoot.

View All Quotes

This bike is a hoot.

Dang good looking bike! What tires cone stock with your bike?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:12:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#37]

Dang good looking bike! What tires cone stock with your bike?
View Quote

Thanks. Dunlop Trailmax Mixtours.

Dunlop rates them at 75% street, 50% adventure.

They handle great for being brand new, cold, and dry.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:35:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#38]
Anyone looking for a jacket, last two days mid 40's and has kept me 100% cozy and comfortable with just a hoodie as a layer. I paid $20 more at a local shop and I still consider it a bargain.

It has minimal ventilation, but without the liner would work for spring and fall.

Noru Bosui Waterproof Motorcycle Adventure Jacket

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#39]
The "Low" seat came in for the TransAlp, along with 4" of snow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I got my seat concepts xl comfort seat in on Wednesday. I haven’t put it on yet, and haven’t had time to grease the headset and swingarm and I haven’t installed the steering damper. It’s 12 degrees here today and I’m not sure I’ll get it done! There is an internet group going on an unorganized ride tomorrow of about 100 miles. Lots of deep sand and you have to keep up. I’m probably going to pass this time, hopefully the weather is warm enough to get the garage to 40!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Do you have a field nearby? Snow can be fun!
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Do you have a field nearby? Snow can be fun!
View Quote

Yes but not rideable unless I want to invite the man into my life.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I got a new pair of Tech 7’s today from a nearby dealer for 200 + tax
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Kinda fun doing own work.  Definitely fun saving $$ on what BMW moto tech's would charge you.  Some stuff I can do myself.   Electrical not so much

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Epic catch on that sale !
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Kinda fun doing own work.  Definitely fun saving $$ on what BMW moto tech's would charge you.  Some stuff I can do myself.   Electrical not so much

https://i.postimg.cc/X7Kf0GMp/IMG-3710.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5tWWQR7P/IMG-3711.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/rwkLKHYf/IMG-3712.jpg
View Quote

What brand and model is that torque wrench? What readouts does it have FT LBS, NM  etc?  I like the compact size.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]

What brand and model is that torque wrench? What readouts does it have FT LBS, NM  etc?  I like the compact size.
View Quote

Looks like this one:

Amazon
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:44:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#48]

https://i.postimg.cc/X7Kf0GMp/IMG-3710.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5tWWQR7P/IMG-3711.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/rwkLKHYf/IMG-3712.jpg
View Quote

Cool. I definitely need to learn to do valve adjustments since I can do all of the other basic servicing myself.

I see the factory service manuals are available to buy, might be a good investment.

The logistics of getting the bike to and from service at the shop is reason enough (no trailer).

For $145 for the initial service 600 mi., might let the dealership do it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

I think I will put in a few miles today, do the 1st oil change, then re-check torque on the swingarm, shock, triple-clamp axles, pinch bolts etc.  Just check to see if anything I R&R’d yesterday settled in. I’m not expecting to really notice the damper unless I hit a rock, root etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#50]
I’ve been following this thread for awhile and over the last year I’ve been planning my return to riding.

I’m going with a BMW R1250GS or the newer R1300GS. These seem to be better suited for two up touring.

I keep looking at used 1250s and new but keep going back to the 1300.

My feeling at this point is get a 1250 and give BMW a year or so to shake out all the bugs.

Currently my local dealer said the 1300 is on a BMW ordered “stop sale”.
Apparently the starter relay under the left side panel is prone to overheating/ melting and they’ve had a few catch fire.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Top Top